PDA

View Full Version : A Knot of Thorns Part 1 - Heroes are Coming

Grimtina
2014-07-09, 10:35 AM
North of Breland, in the Year 1001, 1st Wir of Rhaan/Stormborn

The day is still warm, but the evenings are getting cooler. The weather has been cloudy and windy for most of the day, and now the clouds are getting heavy with rain. Two of the moons, Nymm and Sypheros, are already rising above the horizon while on the other side Barrakas can be seen going down.

There is not a single soul in sight in this little farming community you have been directed to, and it almost looks like it is abandoned. That's all too understandable, though. The farmers would be busy bringing the harvest in before the brewing storm, and if you tried, you could certainly spy them and their wagons on the horizon or between the orchards somewhere.

This place, called Outreach, is just a stone's throw from the border, so to speak, and it does not even have an inn, just a small tavern wich is, of course, closed at the moment. That's just as well, of course, because your contact has told you to pass as unnoticed as possible without raising suspicion either. And asides from a lonely dog tied to a post in a backyard barking, there is no one to feel suspicious about your presence. Maybe you wonder what would happen if anyone would decide to plunder those people's homes, despite the fact that there would most likely nothing much worth stealing. Or it could be their decision to also take their children with them to make you wonder, but then, how would you know those people's habits anyway? It's all quiet, and that's all that's important.

Yet, it is hard to shake the feeling of being watched.

You were supposed to find an oak the locals call hand of justice. From the name, it's where they used to hang people. Easy to find, you have been told, but there are a lot of oaks dotting the fields. But then you can spot it. It stands in the middle of an unused patch overgrown with untrimmed hedges and wild berry bushes. It really looks like a hand; four large branches pointing up abd one pointing sideways, like a thumb. One finger even looks as if it was wearing a ring.

You'll meet the others there, you were told. You'd have to wait for further instructions, the contact had said. You are sure there are weirder jobs out there, but you are also sure there are better places to meet, especially when, as supposedly in this case, a good deal of 'careful discretion' is needed.

And indeed, there are others. You can see one approaching now – definitely not a villager – and others are already there. At least you've not been had. Looks like a real job after all.

Vhaidara
2014-07-09, 10:47 AM
An unarmed warforged in a chain shirt arrives the night before. If Merrix had contacted him about this, then clearly something important was going on. The Cannith lord hadn't seen fit to use Blade's skills for several months. Well, it seems there's a team assembled for this mission.
They'd better not slow me down.

Dunkoro
2014-07-09, 10:50 AM
She was there first. Of course she was first, she got here an hour early, just because she had nothing better to do.
Issola was definitely a druid; her clothing, her staff and, most of all, the two panthers accompanying her all clearly point to that conclusion.
She seems more interested in observing the moons on the sky than she is concerned with incoming people.
After a few moments though, when she's quite certain it's time that was appointed she turns to the rest, analyzing them.
It seems to me we've all been called together for this task. Nice to meet you all, I'm Issola, and these are Karel and Kalia.
She introduces herself and her companions as if they were friends or accomplices and definitely her equals.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-09, 01:43 PM
When Oia had left Vedykar, she had been looking forward to the adventure. To be given an assignment from Baron Ulara herself, in a matter of "utmost importance to House Jorasco and greater Khorvaire". The house even paid for her first class tickets on the lightning rail all the way to Passage. It was the first time the young woman had ever taken the rail to anywhere but Gatherhold as well as the first time she had ever been tasked to travel anywhere at all, so she was quite excited to get on her way. After Passage, the rest of the trip had been mostly caravan, but she had been on her own for the last leg due to what she had been told was the delicate nature of the assignment.

As she approached what she had been told was the meeting place, the half-sized woman was definitely not in a good mood. It least it hasn't started raining yet, then she'd be downright miserable. "Hail and vell met," Oia managed to get off without her frustration getting through, though her Karrnathi accent prevented any potential confusion about her homeland and just how far she had traveled. "I'm Oia d'Jorasco; I presume you're my companions for this trip?"

Anyr
2014-07-10, 01:15 AM
"Apparently so."

The speaker was a young Riedran woman, dressed in nondescript local clothing. She'd arrived without fanfare a short while ago; And spent the time since standing quietly to one side. She gave Oia the same formal bow and greeting that she'd given the other group members.

"My name is Torali Lin. I hope that our association will be mutually advantageous."

Lin had a bad feeling about this mission. The circumstances surrounding it were beyond suspicious. Unfortunately, the client (an Elf named Kyran) was an old friend, who'd saved her life on two occasions. No matter how fishy the job smelled, she just couldn't bring herself to turn him down. Now all Lin could do was stay on guard and hope that she was just being paranoid...

Serafina
2014-07-10, 06:22 AM
Thérèse had little idea where she was. Either she was running or following the shadow of the voices. Taking from those with easily-broken minds ensured survival, but she needed direction.

This One had found a direction. Seeing through the darkness was easy now, just like water through glass - stumbling blindly could only ensure to work around any problems. Had this one made the half-orc accept the fatal challenge? Or had he been mad enough to do so already? It was of no more consequence than the soul that had been cast beyond now.

"I have found the place. Cozy enough, but too much possibility! Must age it first, until the secrets emerge. Draw it round and round and round..." Thérèse stood near the old oak, muttering to herself and watched until the others showed up, drawing strange circles into the ground, one merging with the other and then the next.
Once the others had gathered, she emerged from the nearby trees.

"Greetings upon you. My name is Thèrèse, and i am looking forward to our cooperation" she greets the group with a smile and a small bow.

Vhaidara
2014-07-10, 08:11 AM
Blade steps forward.
Now, I suggest you all get ready for a fight. I was attacked twice on my way here from Sharn. They weren't bandits. I suspect an ambush.

TachyonBlade
2014-07-10, 03:51 PM
From the other side of the oak, from his previous resting place of on top of one of the larger oaks, a seemingly young man approached. He had long black hair, with mediocre looks for a man. The only thing that really seemed odd, for a distance at least, was the clothing he was wearing, which were a sort of single piece garment, of an inhuman design, of black color, but to any one familiar with Aerenalian culture, they would recognize this garment to be an Elvish common dress, mainly worn for comfort. Under this flowing garment, he wore traveling pants, which were loose, and easy to walk around in.

Another supposed curiosity were the two blades at his side. One seemed to be hanging from a hook at his belt, while a significantly longer one was properly kept in a cloth like wrapping and an old looking scabbard.

Said elf was Lucian Iskhandyar, and he wasn't on a mindless walk with no reason, for he was making his way towards a specific oak, among the many others that were here. As he quietly walked, barefooted and therefore not making a sound in the terrain, he immediately recognized the tree he was supposed to find, as he'd been provided with a terrific description of it. As expected, he saw the 'others' that were supposedly supposed to be there.

He did not say a word to then, and simply put his back against the tree, with almost closed eyes, looking at each of the others for momentary periods of time, as if to examine their make. He did not say much, just a simple greeting, which he assumed would suffice.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-12, 10:07 AM
Oia looked up at the strange Warforged incredulously. Just was the warmachine on about? "Perhaps someone has a grudge against you? I suffered no such attacks on my way here." Nevertheless, a careful eye would see the halfling dig her staff into the dirt beneath her; she couldn't shake the feeling that someone was out there.

Grimtina
2014-07-14, 09:42 AM
All the time, the dog in the village had been barking on and off, but all of a sudden you hear one whimper and then it is all quiet.

Serafina
2014-07-14, 01:10 PM
Thérèse turns towards the village and stares into the air, as if listening for something
"Well look at that, the silence calls. Mostly for food, but also for company - we should be the latter."
While her words are not exactly clear, its easy to know what they mean as she heads towards the village.

Vhaidara
2014-07-14, 01:14 PM
Blade nods.
No point in keeping the trap waiting. That would be rude.
He joins Thérèse in her walk towards the village.

Dunkoro
2014-07-14, 02:56 PM
Why doesn't it ever be a simple, easy meeting? muttered Issola and then followed the others with her two companions.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-14, 04:02 PM
Oia looked in the direction of the dog's sudden lack of sound and frowned, finally realizing that there was something out there that was a threat. "Whichever one of you it is that they're after, we're going to have a nice long talk afterwards." After a moment, she started following the others as well; staying alone at this point wasn't really smart.

Anyr
2014-07-14, 05:14 PM
A translucent suit of armour briefly appeared around Lin, before fading into invisibility. She then reluctantly set off along with the other adventurers. Like it or not, being part of a group was probably the safest move. Besides, it was still possible (though unlikely) that the mission request had been genuine. Until she eliminated that possibility, it would be unprofessional to leave.

"I doubt that this is an individual grudge. If only one of us were the target, why would their enemies risk provoking the rest of us?"

Lin spoke from experience here.

Lin manifests 'Inertial Armour'

Vhaidara
2014-07-14, 05:22 PM
Blade nods as a blade of energy shoots out from his wrist.

Forming my light mind blade

Anyr
2014-07-14, 06:01 PM
Lin's eyes widened when she saw the energy blade. She was all too familiar with the technique which created it. Back home, Soulknives had been commonplace; But over here, they were few and far between. On the rare occasions when Lin encountered such a blade in Khorvaire, it was usually trying to stab her. Could this man have been trained by someone from her homeland? Hesitantly, she spoke a few words to Blade, in a tongue not of this continent.

"Do you comprehend?"

If he showed no understanding, she'd switch back to speaking Common.

"That's an...unusual technique. May I ask where you learnt it?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-14, 06:03 PM
Blade doesn't even notice that she is speaking to him until she switches back to Common.
From House Cannith.

Grimtina
2014-07-15, 12:59 PM
As you approach the village, it's obvious to even the most inattentive that there are other sounds missing. The birds have gone quiet, the chickens stopped clucking, and the cows in the paddor next to what is probably the village stable are all huddled together in one corner. Then, without making a sound, a large grey shape raises up from behind the well, its outlines covered by the now long shadow of the village hall's roof. A growling comes from it's direction, and you are pretty sure it is covered in fur.

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 01:04 PM
Blade raises his weapon, shifting to the side and preparing for combat.

Initiative?

Grimtina
2014-07-15, 01:38 PM
Not yet, depends on what everyone is doing. And it won't let me post without saying something else lol

"Hooooowl"

Serafina
2014-07-15, 04:45 PM
Thérèse actually howls back at the furred creature - maybe an attempt to communicate?
There is a second of stunned silence, before she declares in a dead-pan voice
"Well obviously that was not going to work. I told you so, but you just thought trying was funny anyway. Oh well, no harm done."

TachyonBlade
2014-07-15, 07:47 PM
His interest piqued, and his mind coming to the basic same conclusion as the rest of the party Lucien followed the rest of his soon-to-be comrades, postulating what exactly was going on, and somewhere in his head that was not concerned with the now, why he was here. Why in the name of his blessed ancestors had his Deathless mentor ordered him to the brutish land of Khorvaire, to come upon the most unknown of places he could imagine, Lucien couldn't guess. His mentor had been very cryptic about the whole thrice damned trip, and hadn't spoken to Lucien for a month after that. Perhaps as he would talk later with the others, he'd find out some answers.

Lucien's eyes darted around to just take a peek at the people he was supposed to meet, just to get an idea of what they and their offensive actions were like, and then returned to the problem of hand. It was only a momentary glimpse, but for now, it was all that he could afford. He tried to bring his senses to the top of their game, and attempted to see/hear/feel any discrepancies around.

Silence, as the saying went, was much more dangerous than noise.

Perception check:

[roll0]

Grimtina
2014-07-15, 09:02 PM
There is a faint scent of blood in the air, and if you aren't mistaken, someone's fallen behind the well - that or the thing is gnawing on boots. No sound comes from elsewhere in the village.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-16, 01:01 PM
The wolf really should have scared the halfling, but honestly - she was behind a line of people that would... hopefully... keep it from getting to her. All Oia needed to do was not get between the wold and anyone else.

And then Thérèse howled at the wolf, eliciting a mildly worried look from the robed woman, one that grew in confusion as she turned and talked to... someone.

"Now is not the right time to go agitating a bloodthirsty animal. Are we going to leave it alone, or should one of you with the swords go over and poke it?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-16, 01:06 PM
Blade called out to the creature, deciding that Therese had ruined any chance of stealth.
Identify yourself! Are you man or beast?
He would have words with the howling woman, but now was not the time.

Dunkoro
2014-07-16, 01:13 PM
[roll0] (OOC: I assume it's enought to recognize its a werewolf)

I... don't really think reasoning with it has any merit... I think we should be ready to defend ourselves at any moment now...

Serafina
2014-07-16, 03:52 PM
"Well of course we are ready for defense at any moment! It's just a proper precaution against being eaten by fluffy scarlet stars. Which this thing clearly isn't, no offense to you of course shadow-wolf-thing. But don't worry Issola, i'll protect you against any fluffy star, even the green ones! Well, and shadow-wolf-thingies too, if necessary, i guess."

Dunkoro
2014-07-16, 03:54 PM
Thanks... I suppose...
She meaningfully looks away from Therese.

Grimtina
2014-07-18, 05:14 AM
Yes, it's clearly a werewolf

With a strong leap, the wolfish creature jumps up on the well, crouching slighlty while snarlking at you. It seems to hesitate, as if fighting with itself, not seeming to be fully aware of its surroundings. Then it leaps forward, appearing to want to charge right into your midst.

This werewolf totally blew it's initiative so everyone else is first from now on

Grimtina
2014-07-22, 07:53 AM
http://www.krath.org/arania/Eberron%202/village-well.jpg

Anyr
2014-07-22, 08:29 AM
Lin gave the beast a brief chance to back down. When it (unsurprisingly) failed to to do so, she sighed quietly.

"So be it."

She began to concentrate on a psionic attack which would hopefully knock the enemy unconscious.

Lin starts manifesting Slumber (www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/slumber) {Will DC 16}.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-22, 12:07 PM
Oia's knuckles turn white as she grips her staff tightly, half out of fear and half out of concentration. What was that spell? Oh right. She never used this on something that was out to kill before. What if she failed? What if she tripped up, or didn't remember the completion word in time?

No, this wasn't the time for her to be distracted; peoples lives were at stake. Clearing her mind, the halfling brought a strength sapping spell to the forefront, holding it there in case the werewolf charged into the group. "Des Man'i," the spell began. Hopefully she wouldn't have to finish it.

Ready an action to cast Ray of Enfeeblement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/ray-of-enfeeblement) when the werewolf enters range.
RTA: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Save DC: 17 Fortitude (Half)

Vhaidara
2014-07-22, 12:43 PM
Blade grasps his weapon with both hands and pulls apart, separating it into two smaller weapons. He readies one to throw if the beast should approach.

Free Action: Switch to Mind Daggers
Readied Action: If the werewolf comes within 30ft of Blade in an aggressive manner (charging or otherwise moving faster than a walk), throw a dagger at it and switch the other dagger to a standard mind blade
Attack: [roll0]
Critical Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Critical Damage: [roll3]

Dunkoro
2014-07-22, 12:50 PM
Issola moves herself beside the others and sends panthers so further away left and right, so that they could more easily flank the werewolf.

Serafina
2014-07-23, 11:48 AM
Thérèse begins to bounce up and down excitedly, mumbling something barely comprehensible - something about punching pretty puppies? Or maybe something about petting plushy pets?
Still, she seems combat-ready enough and even moves towards the front of the group.

Moving in front of the squishies. Readying an attack action, using Visions of Madness (wherein the werewolf will find itself assailed by pictures of being petted) if the attack or an AOO hits to give -1 to attack, -1 to saves and +1 to skills.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

TachyonBlade
2014-07-23, 02:14 PM
Lucien grimaced as he drew his blade and moved ahead of the Warforged, inching forward with his concentration wavering only to Therese's random mumbling.

Grimtina
2014-07-24, 05:01 AM
Instead of moving on, the werewolf grunts and looks very confused as far as you can interpret his grimaces. He yaps and growls, and then suddenly tries to bite his own shoulder.

Before Therese's spell can do anything more, the fearful beast's eyes suddenly close and he breaks down right in front of you, snoring loudly. Minus on saves can really make a difference

Serafina
2014-07-24, 05:52 AM
"Yay, its asleep! Sweet dreams little puppy!"

With a smirk, Thérèse digs out some rope from her backpack and turns towards her companions
"So, everyone in favor of tying it up and getting some information out of the werewolf?"
The gleam of a dagger can be seen in her hand as she finishes uncoiling the rope.

Dunkoro
2014-07-24, 06:14 AM
We might need to wait until it transforms back, since a fully transformed werewolf could even not really be sentient.

Grimtina
2014-07-25, 11:38 AM
From behind the well, where the boot is still sticking out from, a low moan can be heard.

Anyr
2014-07-25, 03:13 PM
"Whatever you plan to do with this creature, please do it quickly. It won't be asleep for long."

When the moan reached Lin's ears, she rushed forward to find its source. She did make sure to get a good look at it before coming within melee range, though: Because not all moans come from innocent victims.

Vhaidara
2014-07-25, 06:45 PM
Blade motions for someone to go and check the boots, while positioning himself behind the werewolf, his daggers merging into a single sword.

Grimtina
2014-07-25, 08:05 PM
Behind the well, a blue-cloaked tall figure looking to be a female elf is stretched out on the ground, cloak ripped in several places. There seems to be no blood on her, but there is a bruise on the stranger's forehead, and the silver hair is all tangled up. In her right hand, she losely holds a long dagger which is tipped with blood.

TachyonBlade
2014-07-25, 08:13 PM
Lucien takes a single look at the elf woman, and immediately sheathes his weapon, and runs forward towards the woman. It was a kinswoman, and therefore he had to protect her or save her on his honor! He reaches her, ignoring the werewolf, and gesturing for the rest to either deal with the werewolf, or help him find out what is wrong with the woman.

He finally speaks after days of silence, in a husky voice that seems rather old. "My lady, suffer not the consciousness of none! Awaken, I request!", he said in Elven, as he examined the bruise on her head.

Grimtina
2014-07-25, 08:15 PM
It does not look to be a bad injury, but the woman is unresponsive.

TachyonBlade
2014-07-25, 08:18 PM
It does not look to be a bad injury, but the woman is unresponsive.

Lucien grimaces, as he doesn't quite see how the woman would be unresponsive due to such an injury, but it could be because of internal bleeding. He decided to try once more to elicit a response, by taking out his waterskin, and sprinkling water over her face to rouse her.

Grimtina
2014-07-25, 08:25 PM
With another moan, the stranger opens her eyes. You can see she is slightly crosseyed at the moment, and as she tries to speak, at first only mumbled words come out. Then she manages to focus. "Werewolf," she mumbles. "Danger..."

TachyonBlade
2014-07-25, 08:35 PM
With another moan, the stranger opens her eyes. You can see she is slightly crosseyed at the moment, and as she tries to speak, at first only mumbled words come out. Then she manages to focus. "Werewolf," she mumbles. "Danger..."

Lucien made a sigh of relief as the woman came back into the land of the conscious, and then replied to the woman in Common, "No worries, m'lady. The werewolf is incapacitated, thanks to the people behind me."

Grimtina
2014-07-26, 04:19 AM
"Good, that's... good." The woman sits up carefully, touching her head. "I didn't expect an attack at all, sleepy little village. My mistake. Next time I will be more careful."

Dunkoro
2014-07-26, 04:22 AM
What are you doing here either way? asks Issola after coming closer You don't look like a local and you're not equipped well enough to have been travelling alone.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-26, 09:54 AM
Oia approaches the somewhat-fallen woman and the rest of the party, hefting up her healer's kit and pulling her sleeve up to show her mark of healing; "I'm a healer; mind if I take a look to see if you're hurt?"

If the woman or the rest of the party doesn't explicitly stop her, the halfling will get to it, checking the woman over for any severe wounds - taking special care at the spot on the head she touched - and signs of... werewolf... things... before even opening up her healer's kit.

Taking 10 Heal: 18

Grimtina
2014-07-26, 01:08 PM
The woman nods gratefully, smiling at Oia. She obviously feels better immediately and manages to stand up, pating dust of her simple traveling gear.

"I was not alone, at first; I travelled with a half-orc bodyguard. But the strangest thing happened two nights ago. He took second watch and when I woke up in the morning, he was gone. There was no sign of him at all. I spent some hours looking for him but time was short and I barely made it here in time."

As she looks around at everyone, she seems to be counting your numbers. "My name is Ellara Thain, and I was sent to meet a group of adventurers here. Looks like I found you."

Serafina
2014-07-27, 12:25 PM
"Maybe he saw some butterflies? You know, those essence-devouring hypnotic stealth-predators? But no, you didn't find a infected husk did you? Anyway, i'm Thérèse, nice to mee you. I'm glad we could take care of that werewolf for you!"

Dunkoro
2014-07-27, 12:37 PM
"Took care" is a bit too strong I think... I won't feel safe around it until I see it transformed back into at least hybrid form.

Grimtina
2014-07-27, 12:44 PM
Ellara blinks at Theresa, confusion clearly on her face. But then she thinks about the werewolf again. "I don't suppose anyone has rope with silver thread in it?

Anyr
2014-07-27, 01:46 PM
"Silver is only a bane to werewolves when used as a weapon. It has no special power to restrain them. Normal rope will do just as well."

Now that the newcomer was awake and active, Lin had backed away from her again. She maintained a respectable distance between both Ellara and the werewolf.

"Torali Lin. I welcome you to this increasingly eclectic gathering. Were you also lured here on the promise of a job? Or could you perhaps be our client?"

Grimtina
2014-07-27, 02:21 PM
"Shows how little I know about werewolfs... and other things," the elf mumbles. "I'm here on behalf of your client who, as you will see, can't see you in person just now. Let's deal with this werewolf however you see fit, and then I can tell you what this is all about - as little as I was told, anyway."

Anyr
2014-07-28, 08:20 AM
If nobody had restrained the werewolf by this point, Lin would do so. She kept her face and voice carefully neutral as she conversed with the Elven emissary. Though truth be told, she was feeling increasingly frustrated. Even the client's own representative was mostly in the dark? Lin could certainly appreciate a little healthy paranoia; But this merry dance of obfuscation was just self-defeating.

"So, why have we all been gathered here?"

Grimtina
2014-07-28, 11:19 AM
"I'm an Emissary for the crown of Karrnath. A lot os going on that the Kingdom needs help with, but I only know very little myself." Looking left and right, she adds "Let's move out of this village. There is a dense forest with an old, now unused druid cicle in the middle, I found a path in. Been staying there for 2 days now. The idea was to gather you while the villagers are all out working, best not to be seen by anyone, I was told. I suppose they didn't know about the druid circle or they would have sent you there already."

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-28, 11:57 AM
Oia looks at the elf and blinks; "Tis a long way to travel from Rekkenmark; what would King Kaius ask of us, all the way out here, and with people from all corners of Khorvaire?" She wasn't technically a citizen of Karrnath, despite being born and raised there, and had been trained to avoid drawing the house of healing into any particular nation's plots. She may have been sent by the baroness, but that doesn't mean the whole situation had been made clear to the martiarch.

Sense Motive: [roll0]
She's trying to get a sense of the elf's intentions.

Anyr
2014-07-28, 01:24 PM
Lin was similarly sceptical. There were too many holes in this story. For one thing, if the aim was to remain unseen, then why choose such a conspicuous meeting place? Until this woman offered something more concrete than vague foreshadowing, Lin wouldn't be following her into any forests.

"Before we go any further, let's resolve the usual formalities. May we please see some proof of your identity, and status as our contact?"

Lin spoke as if she were just following standard procedure; Rather than doubting an extremely suspicious individual who'd done nothing to earn her trust.

Grimtina
2014-07-28, 08:12 PM
With a nod, the elf slips her hand into her large belt pouch and retrieves a scroll case such as is often used for important correspondence. From it, she removes about 3 dozen letters, all written on thin parchment of the finest making. "I have letters for everyone asked to come from the person originally asking. Unfortunately, as you can see, not everyone managed to come, or maybe they just refused the offer. I leave it up to you to find the ones for you." As she holds them out, she smiles weakly. "Besides of that, all I know is your job starts on the nearby trade route, tomorrow evening. But i will not talk about that here."

Vhaidara
2014-07-28, 08:15 PM
Blade strides over, his sword vanishing back into his arm. He searches through the pile for the letter addressed to him.
And where shall we speak?
Damn you D'Cannith, what have you gotten me into this time?

Serafina
2014-07-29, 05:23 AM
Thérèse tries to recall the sort the names on the letters before her to find an identity that seems to match hers. After she finds one, she declares mostly to herself "They just had to use that old cover-name...oh well, it was a long time ago."

Intelligence test to sort through the letters: [roll0]
Bluff check to explain away the discrepancy between her stated name (and the identify papers she carries) and the name on the letter: [roll1]

Anyr
2014-07-29, 08:37 AM
After a quick search, Lin spotted her name on one of the letters: Scribbled in Kyran's distinctive spidery handwriting. Yes, this was written by him all right. Apparently the old man really did have a stake in this. Okay, fair enough. As suspicious as the circumstances were, Lin wouldn't shirk her commitments. She bowed respectfully to Ellara, and started gathering up her few possessions.

"Satisfactory. I will follow."

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-29, 04:08 PM
Oia looks through the pile and eventually finds it, reading through the text then stuffing the letter away for safe keeping. "I'm more worried about what it is that needs dozens of people, when we only have... six?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 04:32 PM
Blade looks over at Oia.
Perhaps our employer assumed that most of the people they contacted either wouldn't come or wouldn't make it.

Grimtina
2014-07-30, 02:14 AM
"From what I just experienced, it is probably the latter," Ellara frowns.

Somewhere, the dog starts barking again.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-30, 11:42 AM
"That's not reassuring, Miss Th--" The halfling stops abruptly, turning to look in the direction of the dog. "--Can we start moving now? This place is getting less comfortable to stand in by the second."

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 11:44 AM
I ask again, if we are not to speak here, where shall we speak?

Grimtina
2014-07-30, 06:16 PM
"As I mentioned, there is an unused druid circle in a spot of dense woods where I made camp. I do not think we'd be disturbed there."

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 06:20 PM
Then why are we still standing here? Let us be off.

Dunkoro
2014-07-30, 06:37 PM
I know of the place, I've been there yesterday. I can guide you with a probably better path than the one you would've chosen...
She then takes a look at the werewolf.
Any ideas what should we do with... it?

Serafina
2014-07-31, 03:28 PM
"Well, we could drag it along to that camp, snug it up in some blankets, maybe make it some nice food to keep it warm? Or we could go all stabbity-stab on it."

Grimtina
2014-07-31, 06:54 PM
"Considering it attacked me and we don't know why, we should interrogate it but, seriously, I doubt we'd learn anything." With a frown, the elf kicks the werewolf's side. "And there's no telling what it would do to a peaceful place like this one if it's ever released. I vote for killing it."

Vhaidara
2014-07-31, 07:00 PM
Is there a way to make these beasts change back? Interrogation sounds like a good plan to me.

Grimtina
2014-07-31, 07:44 PM
"My training covered the undead, not lycanthropes. I always thought they would turn back once unconscious - or maybe that was when they died."

Vhaidara
2014-07-31, 07:46 PM
Don't they have something to do with the moon?

And here's the part where I start flirting with the Law of Common Knowledge.

Grimtina
2014-07-31, 07:58 PM
"Full moons, yes, but unfortunately..." she points to the now darkened sky with several moons can be seen. Dravago is at full a good way above the horizon already, and Lharvion also at full, is moving closer to the horizon, just coming into few, but full nonetheless. "...there is always a full moon in the sky, as the saying goes."

Dunkoro
2014-08-05, 01:31 PM
Also, we can pretty much assume this one is not the only one around; it must be newly transformed to be so fully affected by effects of the moons. I know of no way to turn it back, other than wait it out.

Grimtina
2014-08-05, 01:59 PM
"Then we take it along," the messenger nods. "My suggestion is for the warforged to carry it."

Vhaidara
2014-08-05, 02:07 PM
Blade glares at her.
I am not a servant, messenger. Nor was I built for heavy lifting.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-05, 02:45 PM
Oia looks at Blade and frowns "Ellara is right though, we can't leave it here so someone has to carry it, and unfortunately I'm a little bit too small to carry a werewolf. Any volunteers, if he refuses to?"

Grimtina
2014-08-05, 02:47 PM
"I didn't think it would be that heavy." The elf scratches her head looking at the werewolf.

Vhaidara
2014-08-05, 02:52 PM
I will try, but I may need another to lift as well.
Blade walks over to the beast and attempts to lift it.

Anyr
2014-08-05, 03:35 PM
Lin looked regretfully down at her reedy body and thin limbs. Her muscles were pathetic even by wizardly standards.

"I fear I would be of little help in this regard..."

Grimtina
2014-08-05, 06:18 PM
The weight of the werewolf would probably work out, but the sheer length of it makes it impossible for Blade to carry it alone for more than a few meters.

Serafina
2014-08-06, 10:35 AM
"You know, we could just put a muzzle on it so it can't bite, if you're worried about getting bitten. Then fashion something to carry it with two people, we could probably do that with some solid sticks and my camping gear. Actually, let me get right on that."

Said and done, Thérèse starts to unpack her bedroll and work it into a makeshift stretcher.

Grimtina
2014-08-06, 02:05 PM
With a bit of improvisations, a stretcher is soon ready, and the werewolf is put on it, muzzled and tied. Now it is no problem to follow the messenger to the clearing in the forest, asides from the usual issues of getting through a forest at night.

The clearing has been turned into a comfortable camp, with a tent and ropes to hang clothes from, and wood stacked next to a fireplace which shows that the woman is no expert in making them but has managed to make it safe somehow.

By now, the stars are out in full bright, save from a few clouds here and there. Sounds from the forest seem normal.

Vhaidara
2014-08-08, 08:15 PM
Blade looks at the messenger.
Okay, now what is this job? I wouldn't be here if it wasn't important to my contact.

TachyonBlade
2014-08-08, 08:25 PM
The magi on the right looked over to Blade as he spoke, and then echoed the same question. "He is right, madam. It would certainly be better if we be informed of the predicament soon."

Grimtina
2014-08-08, 09:15 PM
"Yes, very well." The elf drops down next to the fireplace and begins to light it. "The royal house of Karrnath is in a predicament I do not know any details about. To solve the problem, there is need to bring in some new faces, uninvolved in current intrigues and complications. As there are many spies all over, calling out openly for aid is not an option. A lot must be at stake because it sems the King pulled all available strings to get you here.

The plan is to bring you into Karrnath as guards of a merchant caravan delivering goods from Breland's royal house to Karrnath's. No one will pay to much attention to guards, no matter how unusual they may be. Lots of groups hire out as guards, after all, at least those not yet come to great fame.

Tomorrow night, a caravan is due to pass the trade route west from here. The plan is for you to take over as the guards of that caravan, while I am supposed to pose as caravan guide. To do that, the current guards must be taken out of the picture, of course, but our people who have secured places as drivers and cook with the caravan will make that easy by drugging their food. They will be taken well care of until this is done. You will then accompany the caravan to Karrnath, acting as guards as needed. When you arrive, you will switch disguises and be informed of the actual problem.

I know little of court politics, so I am afraid I have little insight as to what is actually happening at court. But I did get the impression peace could be at stake."

TachyonBlade
2014-08-08, 09:22 PM
Lucian cursed in his mind, wondering why his former mentor had directed him to this meeting. Having to interfere in these affairs was, quite frankly, a bad idea. But what would his ancestor have done? From what the woman had said, much was at stake here. Being the hero, in terms of practicality, seemed like the best option. And if peace was at stake, any kind of war could spill over back home... He would have to go along with the rest here, to prevent any form of problematic wars and disturbances.

Vhaidara
2014-08-08, 09:24 PM
Blade would have sighed, if he breathed. What have you gotten me into this time, D'Cannith?
Alright then. So, what are we going to do with the furball?

Anyr
2014-08-08, 11:31 PM
Upon arriving, Lin did a sweep of the clearing: To verify that it was indeed safe. Once she was satisfied of that, she took a seat near the newborn fire. Her inner reaction to the mission 'briefing' (if it could even be called that) was even worse than the last one. It was getting seriously difficult to maintain her polite facade. Forcing herself to remain calm (at least on the outside), she tried once again to make sense of this situation.

"Please forgive my lack of insight: But is such a method really necessary? There must surely be easier ways to enter Karrnath inconspicuously. I also question the wisdom of committing several crimes before we've even been informed of our mission. Your employer has given us very little incentive to risk imprisonment for kidnapping and fraud."

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 02:34 AM
I personally doubt a King would lack resources to simply hire a caravan we would serve as guard for, instead of forcing us to replace one that already exists. It seems too convoluted to be any good...

Grimtina
2014-08-09, 06:06 AM
"It seems that everything the king and those around him do is under close surveillance. The caravan in question has had its guard selected by Breland for years now, so I guess it would have been suspicious to try and arrange it otherwise, but I know nothing of such things really." With a frown, she takes out her rations, but forgets to eat. It clearly bothers her that she's in above her head in this. "I was called to deliver a well wishing note for a newborn noble child in the southern parts, but when I got there I was assigned a bodyguard and sent on my way to meet you. I was told the monks to take care of the original guards owe the king a favor and could be counted on to keep quiet about it. I'm pretty new at this, but from the hints a fellow courier and some of the bureaucrats dropped, a lot of this has been going on in the last few months."

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-09, 01:21 PM
"There's so many levels of assumed secrecy here that I don't think badgering her for questions will get us anything more," Oia said while looking between the people talking to Ellara. "All I know is that I was given this task by someone I trust, so I'm not going to worry about whether or not it's legitimate; it is."

Walking over to the fire pit and kneeling down, the halfling went about pulling and unfurling her bedroll before finally sitting down on it. "As far as the werewolf goes, I believe we should hold them until morning and ask them our questions. I don't want to leave a werewolf infestation to smolder, and apparently we have until tomorrow evening before we leave? We could try to do what we can to clean it up before then - as little as it will likely help."

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 01:24 PM
I agree with the woman. My contact wouldn't have called in this favor if it wasn't important. And as fun as it was, I don't think anyone wants the war to start up again.
Blade turns to the werewolf.
If it doesn't change back by dawn tomorrow, I'll end it.

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 01:27 PM
Someone should warn the villagers. This werewolf is probably a freshly transformed one, as these are the only ones having difficulties controlling their transformation. And that would mean there is another werewolf at large. Meanwhile, I'll take a look around, see if I can notice any signals of a werewolf in the forest.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Grimtina
2014-08-09, 02:09 PM
Both you and one of your panthers find signs of something dangerous in the forest. Your panther comes across a dead young bear, torn apart and half eaten. Despite a predator's usual instinct, the panther has no desire to taste the meat because it reeks of something worse than wolf. The meat is relatively fresh, maybe a day old. You come across tracks of something man-sized, with canine-like claws, and it doesn't take a genious to attribute it to a werewolf in this situation. It is hard to tell how old the tracks are, though, as rain and animals running over it has diluted the prints.

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 02:11 PM
Do the tracks lead toward the village or rather away from it? If away from it, forward to what?

[roll0] (trained)

Grimtina
2014-08-09, 02:20 PM
They lead away from the village, but then double up and return for a bit, just to leave the forest and disappear on a small dirt road that's recently turned into mud from rain after the werwolf has passed.

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 02:23 PM
Issola returns with both her panthers.

"I've found some tracks confirming a werewolf was in the area, but apparently has left it. It is not the same as being sure there isn't even more of them around, so someone should still warn the villagers. Unless someone has left in the midwhile?"

Serafina
2014-08-09, 02:33 PM
"All that secret stuff sounds like a lot of fun! Count me in!"
Thérèse is very cheerful about the whole prospect, but then frowns slightly.

"But so does protecting a village from monsters...decisions, decisions. Protecting the monsters from the villagers is also fun, too - but i already did both of those and have never done secret infiltration, so i guess that wins out!"
She then goes on to wildly speculate about the "secret infiltration".

Prompted by Issola, Thérèse snaps out of it and declares
"But the monster hunting can be done right now! Let me help you with that!"
Said and done, she rushes after Issola, probably smudging several tracks in her haste. A quick tap to the shoulder to get her attention is followed by seemingly random babbling that still seems to draw the mind to important facts, albeit along strange routes.

Using Visions of Madness on Issola to confer +1 to skills, -1 to saves and attack rolls.
Also using Survival to Aid Another on her, giving another +2 if i get 10+ (and aiding is ruled as making sense).
[roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-09, 03:14 PM
Come to think of it, after Therese showed up, Issola is pretty sure the werewolf tracks aren't older than a few hours, considering the time it had rained and the usual movement patterns of the small animals which had run over it.

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 03:20 PM
"Oh, and it also left the area pretty recently, so I'm pretty sure we have to be ready for it coming back any moment now. A shifting night guard is definitely in order."

TachyonBlade
2014-08-09, 03:26 PM
Lucian once more grunted in a rather quiet voice, and began to speak more loudly, so as to be audible. "I volunteer to go first, madam." It was his duty to the maidens here to protect them, and perhaps the other men would prefer getting some rest first.

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 03:29 PM
Blade looks at the two.
You do realize I don't sleep, right? No need for you lot to keep yourselves up all night.

TachyonBlade
2014-08-09, 03:46 PM
Blade looks at the two.
You do realize I don't sleep, right? No need for you lot to keep yourselves up all night.

Lucian finally gives the Warforged a good, long look, and then finally answered "I did not know of this before, strangely enough. I haven't met or heard much about your kind, sir. If you would so kindly keep watch for us, I'd be grateful."

Serafina
2014-08-09, 03:51 PM
"You don't sleep? Oh my poor dear, that must be horrible! I really must find a way to show you what one can see in dreams - why, they make ever-so-much more sense than this dreary waking world! Rest assured i will do whatever i can to help you!"
Thérèses outburst is accompanied by an expression of sheer bone-deep terror, as if confronted with a horrible nightmare made reality.

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 04:00 PM
I have no interest in sleep. You mortals have such short lives, yet you waste so much of them on it. It almost makes me pity you all.

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 04:04 PM
"So, the fact that you are an artificial creation makes you superior? And why do you presume you're immortal? Warforged are unlike normal golems. The fact that you're around for such a short time doesn't help with determining whether you really are mortal or not... There are still a lot of elves that lived long before your kind was even conceived for the first time, so your statement about our 'short lives' is somewhat... inapropriate in my opninion."

Surprise Surprise! The druid dislikes the Warforged!

Serafina
2014-08-09, 04:09 PM
"But...you can explore such wonderful lands in your dreams. Learn so many secrets, find new friends, do so many things...how can that be a waste of time?"
The topic clearly disturbs her, and she physically withdraws slightly from Blade.

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 04:17 PM
Your kind gets stabbed, they bleed and die without aid. My kind gets stabbed, they stab you right back unless you get a lucky shot. I'd call that less mortal.

Surprise! The Warforged assassin doesn't really care for the druid either!

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 04:27 PM
"But, if it doesn't end in death but in destruction... is it really life?"
"Anyway, I guess we won't get anywhere with these philosophical debates... We have a job to do and our contempt for each other or lack of it won't change that."
"I'll get to preparing the camp for the night. Anybody else willing to help?"

And without waiting for an answer, she starts doing whatever needs to be done, just to remember...

"And still nobody went to warn the villagers. Should I get to that? Or maybe the tireless man would do the honors while we, the mortals prepare the camp for sleeping?"

Nothing like some inter-party conflict. :smallwink:

TachyonBlade
2014-08-09, 04:28 PM
Your kind gets stabbed, they bleed and die without aid. My kind gets stabbed, they stab you right back unless you get a lucky shot. I'd call that less mortal.

Surprise! The Warforged assassin doesn't really care for the druid either!

Lucian began to see that perhaps the Warforged was rather brash, and while that could be respected in some, it wasn't going to help here. It was also slightly insulting, his comments, but that he'd ignore entirely. Something would have to be done to keep the whole party from escalating this small conflict in the future. "My good sir and madam, both of you are acting childishly, really. You Warforged are not immortal at all, so that isn't true. Without some form of maintenance, I'm sure your kind would break down after maybe half a century. And you, my good druid, are not much better off, for he is right about our organic statures. So, both you shouldn't argue at a time like this. The night brings terrors of its own, and should not be augmented."

He decided that if that wasn't enough to get the conflicting parties to stop, then there wasn't much he could do besides preventing actual physical fighting.

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 04:32 PM
Blade's eyes flick to the distant warrior.
Perhaps we would break down over time without maintenance. However, we can repair ourselves
He looks over at the werewolf.
As far as warning the village, I feel it is a bad idea to separate now. The beasts are pack hunters, aren't they? If more are in the area, wouldn't it try to attack the enemies of its pack? The ones who captured its pack mate?

Dunkoro
2014-08-09, 04:37 PM
"They would be pack animals if there were more of them. Everything we know indicates that besides that one"

She points to the werebeast lying few feet away.

"There is only one other in the area. Additionally, it would be really weird for a bigger pack of them not to have been noticed by the Silver Flame. Additionally, they would probably be way more willing to attack defensless and not even aware of their presence villagers than semi-fortified and battle-hardened unified team. I think we'll be all right; even though we're squishy, so are they..."

Grimtina
2014-08-09, 04:37 PM
Ellara nods. "I would think it would come looking for the other werewolf indeed. I believe everything wolf goes in packs. But maybe that is just be being prejudiced." Thoughtfull she looks from the warforged to the druid, to the elf.

Anyr
2014-08-09, 05:02 PM
Several times during the preceding discussion, Lin opened her mouth as if to speak; Only to clamp it closed again. There was so much she wanted to say, but couldn't. At times like this, she really envied the Warforged. That newborn race didn't have to hide their true nature behind a mask. They were free to flaunt their longevity, dreamlessness and supernatural resilience to the world. Not so for the seemingly 19-year old girl who watched from the sidelines. No, she had to pretend to be as ephemeral, frail and psychically vulnerable as the humans she walked amongst. It wasn't fair.

Grimtina
2014-08-09, 07:46 PM
The night passes relatively quiet, except for a dire badger sniffing the perimeter of the camp and then vanishing again, it is all quiet. Towards morning, a howl sounds through the woods, coming from the direction of the village, but before anyone can worry, it turns into a happy bark.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-10, 04:37 PM
Oia takes a guard rotation - not that she'd be much help but to yell and wake everyone - and otherwise is up fairly early to eat her breakfast, staying quiet so as to not wake anyone that's not already before it's an actual reasonable time to wake.

(Eating Halfling Trail rations)

Grimtina
2014-08-10, 04:42 PM
In the village, a **** crows towards the early morning sun, and when the first rays of the sun touch the clearing, Oia can see the werewolf has transformed back into a middle aged, bearded man with dark skin. He is still unconscious and, of course, completely naked.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-12, 01:47 AM
Oia walks over and covers the poor naked guy with her cloak, then tries to get the attention of whomever else may be awake. "The werewolf has changed back."

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 01:57 AM
Blade nods.
I noticed. What are we going to do with him then?

Grimtina
2014-08-12, 03:33 AM
Ellara, hearing about the werewolf waking up, yawns and stretches. "Weren't we going to interrogate it?" With energetic steps, she comes over to where the prisoner is, her very movements seem to spell "morning person." However, as she sees the man, she jumps back. "I've seen him before," she exclaims. "That's the guy I had to ask for directions to the village."

Anyr
2014-08-12, 05:50 AM
Lin 'awoke' when the others started talking. She blinked rapidly and yawned, as if she were only just regaining consciousness. This mimicry accomplished, she joined the growing circle of people around the werewolf.

"Before waking this creature, we should ensure that our entire group is ready for a fight. Remember, he's uninjured."

Dunkoro
2014-08-12, 05:58 AM
Issola waked and walked closer.

He's probably also harmless. It's very likely he won't even remember he is a werewolf. What worries me though is that he was probably transformed right around the time you came here and asked for his help. This doesn't seem like a coincidence...

Grimtina
2014-08-12, 06:02 AM
"you are right," the elf agrees with Issola. "Too many things going on to believe in coincidences."

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 11:44 AM
Blade walks over and nudges the unconscious man with his foot.

Grimtina
2014-08-12, 11:46 AM
Very slowly, the man wakes up, looking at Blade as if he had been drinking too much the night before. "Huh? Wha?"

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-13, 01:08 AM
Oia kneels down next to the man with her healer's kit and looks him over. "It's okay, I'm with the healer's guild," she says to him softly, pulling up her sleeve to show him the iconic mark of healing. "You were injured; my friends have some questions to ask you, and I'd like you to answer them to the best of your abilities while I look you over, okay?" With that, the halfling goes about looking him over. If someone else wants to tell him he's a werewolf, that's their perogative; she just wanted him calm.

(Taking 10 on Diplomacy [15] to influence attitude - I'd really like someone to come through and aid another though, or use a higher diplo skill, though. I'm pretty sure we won't be worse off from this, but it may be just short of getting better.)

Serafina
2014-08-13, 12:33 PM
Thérèse taps Oia on the shoulder and hands her some innocuous supplies, prentending to assist with her first aid. "Well, can you tell us how you are doing? Do you remember your name? Is there anything we can do?"

To Oia, the man seems to be surrounded by ebbing colors with a taste of holiday food - a very present impression that puts her mind into a calm and non-threatening mood.

Visions of Madness to give +1 to skills, -1 to attacks and saves.
Aid another Diplomacy, adding another +2 [roll0]

Insert appropriate colors or foods if you like ^.^
Oh, and targeting another character if someone has more than +5 to Diplomacy and wants to join in, i will amend my post in that case.

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 12:56 PM
"I'm Harley, Harley Davidson*," the man replies, blinking into the increasing morning light. "Where am I? How did I get here? I was working on the fields, driving the carriage back with all the barley..."

*you might see a few groaners in names here and there, I lost a bet.

Dunkoro
2014-08-16, 02:33 AM
This might be hard to believe sir, but you're a werewolf. This night you transformed and tried to attack this lady over here. She points If you have any recollection whatsoever of being attacked by werewolf yourself, that could prove invaluable to us.

Grimtina
2014-08-16, 08:38 AM
"I'm a..." At first, he stares and seems to be about to laugh. But then his face turns thoughtful. "I was taking a leak, and there was this shadow behind me. And I think I was dragged somewhere." Then his face slowly turns to panic. "Oh, this is terrible. I'm a monster now?"

Anyr
2014-08-16, 08:59 AM
"Yes, you are; But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Being a 'monster' has its advantages. If you can learn to control such a curse, it can become a source of great strength. In time, you may even come to prefer your new existence."

Grimtina
2014-08-16, 09:07 AM
With a doubtful look, he nods. Then once more there is a deeply pained expression. "But Emila won't marry me anymore!" The worries of simple townspeople.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-16, 11:10 AM
Oia places a hand softly on the man's shoulder, then scowls up at the rest of the party before looking back at the man. "You're still a man, Harley*. The only thing that would make you a monster is if you just give up and don't fight it. I wish I could cure you, but the magic is beyond me for now; that leaves you as the one who must try to control it."

"For now, keep in mind that there will be those that would kill you for something that you have no control over. Do your best to stay alive, and I will be back to cure you as soon as I know how. Emila may not understand that, and you should do what you can to protect her from it."

(*Even if you have a horrible name.)

Grimtina
2014-08-16, 12:15 PM
He nods at your words, then panic shows once more. "Oh by the Host, I didn't attack anyone, did I? Oh I must have, how else could you have found me?"

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-16, 01:16 PM
"As far as we know, we kept you from severely hurting anyone." The halfling's eyes flick over to Ellara for a moment before continuing with "Unfortunately, we think there may be another werewolf in the area. We need you to think: havethere been any strangers other than us in the area, or has anyone that lives here been acting strangely lately? Anything at all you can think of, maybe even going back a few months."

Grimtina
2014-08-17, 06:17 AM
"Yeah," he says after a moment of thinking. "There was this tall man who kept asking strange questions. About other strangers - as if so many would come through. Well," he says, looking around, "seems many have come through now. But, well, he was the creepy sort. Wore a floppy head which always covered his eyes. Can't trust someone of you can't see their eyes now, can you? By brother said it must he an elf or half-elf as the ears were pointy, so he claims to have seen. But I don't think so. We have seen elves and half-elves before, and none of them was that clumsy."

TachyonBlade
2014-08-17, 12:39 PM
Concerning elves, Lucian immediately spoke up. "There are... others. Could you tell what his skin tone was, by any chance?"

Grimtina
2014-08-17, 02:25 PM
"It was..." At loss for the word for the color, he points at a young tree with oche wood. "Like the wood of this tree, maybe a little darker in places. And he smelled like a wet animal, now that I think of it."

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-18, 12:33 PM
Oia stares blankly at the man for a second, before looking at her allies. "Pointy ears, brown skin, smelled like animal... A shifter, maybe? Shifters aren't werewolves, though... are they? Could one of them do this?"

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 02:37 PM
"I have never met a shifter," Ellara says. "Aren't they part werecreature, too?"

Serafina
2014-08-19, 01:38 PM
"Don't worry Harley, you are a pretty cute dog! Well, wolf, but those are the same thing. Sure, you have some instincts that are new to you, but thats basically the same as puberty - if you learn to control it, maybe Emila can pet you during the full moons."

Pondering, for a moment, she continues
"I am pretty sure that being descendant from a Lycanthrope would not make you immune against it...or at least you could still carry the disease. People can be immune to a disease and still infect others, after all."

Grimtina
2014-08-19, 02:48 PM
Harley sits up and nods. "Can't be worse than puberty," he mumbles. "Anyone happen to have some old shirts and pants I could use?"

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-20, 12:59 PM
Oia looks around; "I don't think anything I have will be quite large enough to fit you. I guess technically we could get some clothes out of your house if no one does and you think we could get in there without being seen - but at that point we may as well just lead you there naked anyways."

Grimtina
2014-08-20, 02:33 PM
"Yes, unfortunately, my father wouldn't let you into the house. He's... strange," Harley admits. "I guess I will have to pretend I was mugged or something. I don't want everyone to know just yet. It's a good thing you were around, really, I would not even have known what is going on." Harley gets up and, while obviously uncomfortable without clothes, begins to make for the village.

Anyr
2014-08-22, 08:00 AM
Once again, Lin found herself ill-equipped to help: Since she owned only a single outfit. Thanks to a certain magic item, she could transform her one set of clothes into any form she desired. Unfortunately, she couldn't actually conjure new clothes for someone else. A shame. She kept her eyes strategically averted as the under-dressed man scampered off. As someone who placed great value in maintaining dignity, she really sympathised with his plight.

Grimtina
2014-08-22, 12:35 PM
The elf woman, too, pointedly looks into another direction. "I hope this isn't going to bite us in the butt later," she says when he's gone, unaware of how funny her comment may sound. "But, if all goes to plan, we'll be out here by night."

Dunkoro
2014-08-23, 11:45 AM
So, is there anything really for us to do right now? Should we just get some rest?

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-23, 06:28 PM
"We could poke around for the day and see if we can find that other werewolf. Couldn't hurt, right? I mean, unless it bites someone."

Grimtina
2014-08-24, 05:07 AM
"If you think you can handle it... I think I proved quite inadequat dealing with such creatures already," the elf blushes.

Grimtina
2014-08-28, 06:48 PM
Search as you might, there are no more traces of any werewolf around, the only thing you can find are the traces of a pair of ginger cats passing through.

Towards the evening, Ellara breaks camp and leads you northwards, to the nearby trade route, at a point where it closes in on the forest without actually entering it. "We#re to wait here," she says. "When the caravan arrives, its old guards will be removed and you can take over." She seems a little bit unsure as to her own further involvement.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-08-29, 03:09 PM
Oia nods and sits down on one of the tree roots that break through the surface of the ground before heavily looking back in the direction of the village that they had left behind. Was leaving him the right decision? Would the man be strong enough to control that curse?

Dunkoro
2014-08-30, 01:11 AM
How are we supposed to know whereto a particular caravan is the caravan?

Grimtina
2014-08-31, 10:31 AM
"There's only one with the King's banner scheduled to come this way," the elf explains. "Always making a show out of everything, those nobles."

Dunkoro
2014-08-31, 11:38 AM
Isn't it like... The ONLY thing they can do?
She grins.

Grimtina
2014-09-01, 06:35 AM
The elf starts to chuckle. "Basically, yes, with few exceptions." Then she catches herself. "Maybe I shouldn't talk like that, being a royal messenger and all, but you won't believe the stupid messages they have me send at times."

Vhaidara
2014-09-01, 09:36 AM
Blade scoffs.
Oh, I would. They have each other killed over those messages.

Grimtina
2014-09-01, 11:56 AM
Ellara nods quickly. "Oh yes, and one of them once almost killed me when delivering such a message." Then she points to where something can be seen moving behind a copse of trees and bushes further down the street. Gold and red glits through the vegetation. "Oh that should be them, at least the color I see fits the Breland banner."

Anyr
2014-09-01, 12:23 PM
Until this point, Lin had been sitting quietly on the grass. Now she rose, brushed herself off, and gave a nod of readiness.

"I await your command."

Ilorin Lorati
2014-09-01, 02:36 PM
Finally turning her attention away from the direction of the Village, Oia stands and supports herself on her staff. "Sounds like we should at least make ourselves presentable to the guards of the caravan. ...They do know we're here, aye?"

Vhaidara
2014-09-01, 02:38 PM
Blade looks over where Ellara is pointing.
I'm ready to go whenever you lot are.

Grimtina
2014-09-02, 11:51 AM
"They know," Ellara assures. A moment later, the caravan comes into sight. 5 wagons all of standard size pulled by oxen with human drivers, and a cart at the back pulled by two goats, occupied by a gnome driver. The gnome appears old and seems to be asleep. The Breland banners flutter frely.

Now Ellara frowns. "No one has mentioned a gnome."

Ilorin Lorati
2014-09-04, 11:01 AM
Oia looks in the direction of the carriage, rubbing her forehead with no small measure of frustration on her face. "Well, someone has to drive the carriage - or more likely, this is about to get a lot more complicated."

Dunkoro
2014-09-04, 11:03 AM
Why don't these issues ever pop up earlier?
I guess I have some experience with animals, but I'd feel safer riding one than trying to guide it with reins.

Grimtina
2014-09-08, 11:41 AM
"I can drive a wagon." the elf says. "Actually, most people can, it is like riding just without the legs..." She smiles widely. "although I had been told some of you used to work as caravan drivers before. Or did not all of you make it?" she wonders, more to herself. "Unfortunately, the "drivers" can't accompany us because whoever has arranged for them to get rid of the original guards needs them elsewhere already." She stnds up and stretches. "I shall go and gree them then, at least I don't have to walk all the way back to Karrnath."

Dunkoro
2014-09-09, 05:55 PM
I suppose none of us should openly accompany you there?

Grimtina
2014-09-09, 09:00 PM
"Oh they are expecting you - well, someone - to take over, so you can show yourselves. And yeah I guess whoever planned this has no stinking clue what the realities of a caravan are..." With that, she stands up and enters the open road, waving in a complicated pattern, a signal which is promptly returned.

The caravan drivers jump off the wagons immediately, tying the reins. "All went well," the leader of them, a small man not much bigger than a dwarf, explains. "The original guards will sleep for a while and then be paid for something else to do far away from here. We already got paid and it is a long walk back to the inn where we put up our horses so we better get going."

"Wait, what's with the gnome?" Ellara points.

"Oh, him. He wants to go to Karrnath, is an old friend of the royal family - however that happened - so he wanted to come along for protection. We had to slow down for that cart of his quite a bit, too."

Dunkoro
2014-09-10, 02:22 AM
Issola murmurs Babysitting a gnome wasn't in the job description...

Then she follows the elf into the open and even closer to the caravan. Her panthers follow suit.

Anything you could tell us that we should know about?

Ilorin Lorati
2014-09-10, 09:17 AM
Oia mutters back to Issola, before following her out into the open: "Personally, I'm more worried about him asking questions as to why we're switching out the caravan crew at such a peculiar time. Gnomes are.... well, gnomes."

As she approaches the cart, she calls out to the crew, "I thank you for the trouble you're going through for this, then. I certainly hope you're being well paid for the hike and the disappearing act."

Grimtina
2014-09-11, 02:49 AM
Well," the man jumping off from the second wagon says, "there was something strange about one of the guys hiring us. Maybe not a surprise considering the Karrnathians - no insult intended," he nods to the elf," but we believe he was undead. It was mostly his eyes, they kept staring in a weird way, and we are sure he didn't breathe."

The others nod. "We were indeed well paid, so it matters little to us. Good luck to you anyway." With that, they begin to walk back the way they came.

Dunkoro
2014-09-11, 03:10 AM
I guess we better go now. There's no point in wasting time.

Then she comes closer and tries to calm down the horses which probably are uneasy at best after noticing her two panthers.

[roll0]

I guess that didn't work so well... At least one can't butcher Diplomacy check that badly as to have reverse effect :smallwink:

Grimtina
2014-09-12, 04:42 AM
The horses indeed stare at the pathers, rolling their eyes and stomping. Only the goats of the gnome, who is still snoring away, don't care the least.

The Karrnathi sings in elven to the horses, and for the moment they calm a little, but it's not a great success either. "I don't suppose we could mask the scent of your feline friends?" she wonders.

Dunkoro
2014-09-12, 05:54 AM
I don't think I have any of the necessary ingredients... She sighs.

They could travel after us, or even better before us to scout out any potential dangers. That way the horses will be more at ease.

Without waiting for an answer she says a few words and makes a few gestures to her pets and off they go.

They will stay ahead of the caravan, close enough to be able to make eye contact within a short time, they will be using their skills (Scent, Perception +5) to search the road and maybe a little around it. They will also hunt for themselves.

Grimtina
2014-09-13, 10:11 AM
"Oh, that will work, the horses will get used to them present at a larger distance. So, I suppose I'll drive the first wagon, then," Ellara smiles and jumps up, talking softly ot the horses.

The gnome mumbles something in his sleep.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-09-13, 11:25 AM
Oia stays tight lipped as she begins to approach the cart, climbing up onto it as soon as she had an opportunity to, without so much as a word once got within earshot. Hopefully she didn't have to stay dead quiet the entire trip...

Grimtina
2014-09-18, 05:45 AM
As soon as the wagons are manned, Ellara gets the treck moving again, with the goat pulled car following in a slow pace. "I am tempted just to go at full speed and leave the gnome behind," she says.

Dunkoro
2014-09-22, 04:39 AM
"Well, that wouldn't be very nice of us, would it? Maybe he's a very nice person?"

Grimtina
2014-09-24, 11:29 AM
"You are right, let's see how he is when he wakes up, I just hoped we could travel a little faster," the elf sighs.

At the time it gets too dark to travel and camp is about to be set, the old gnome finally wakes up, mumbling something strange and disappearing into the bushes. After a while, he comes back, going towards the fire, smiling brightly. "Sorry about my snoring," he says. "I had a hard week and need to catch up on sleep." Then he blinks. "I know I'm old but I am pretty sure I haven't seen you before, pretty one," he smiles at Ellara. Then he frowns. "Or any of you. Where are Marsha and Gwon?"

Dunkoro
2014-09-24, 02:03 PM
"We're their... replacement. Nothing to worry about. I'm Issola, pleased to meet you.
Might I though get to know why did you decide to join with this caravan?

Ilorin Lorati
2014-09-25, 02:50 PM
"Issola, don't badger our guest, or at least get his name befrore you start on it." Oia admonishes the taller woman slightly before turning to the gnome. "We traded off with them some hours back; don't worry, we have every intention on getting you to your destination as unharmed as the other guards did."

Grimtina
2014-10-01, 05:38 AM
Looking from one to the other, the gnome nods. "I see. Doesn't matter to me as long as I get where I need to be. Name's Tokin Forsight Lupsin, former artificer of the King of Breland. I'm on my way to the court of Karrnath to meet up with a distant cousin of mine, Larafel Notnow Lupuchin. Not that you are likely to have heard of him, of course, but you might have heard my name. No? Ah well, does not matter, I suppose. Nowadays, you only hear of mighty adventurers out to kill dragons and stuff. Any way, I am not happy about traveling alone, not being a mighty warrior or any such, so I just went to stick myself onto the next royal caravan leaving in the same direction."