PDA

View Full Version : The Winds of Change [IC]

jmbrown
2014-07-09, 12:18 PM
It was a normal day. The skies were clear, the wind blew gently across the fields. You stopped at a fishing hamlet by a river for supplies and water.

People lived here at one point. The mill wheel still turned, plates with long rotted food decorated the tables, and a family of wild pigs were foraging by the river. Maybe the people survived but it was more likely they were obliterated when the storms came. This area was ravaged by storms since The End. Now that it's clear, it's pristine land for scavengers and wanderers.

Just as you top off your waterskin you see it on the horizon. Black clouds, dark as shadows with purple light running through them like veins. It's too late to run. Your only option is hide.

You thank your luck when you spot an old stone church. It's a squat old stone building, likely built in the early days of human settlement when the first buildings erected were a church and a pub. You make a mad dash and shut the door behind you. It's solid oak and the windows are shuttered fast. The lightning shouldn't reach you but you pray it doesn't last another forty years!

Just then, you hear a sound! You're not alone. Three other people were wise enough to take shelter here. You figure they haven't attacked you by now so you might as well introduce yourself.

Hazuki
2014-07-09, 02:05 PM
Swift glances about the old wooden prison she finds herself in, guarded by strong winds and the wrath of the gods, with her fellow inmates consisting of a gigantic orcish fellow, a particularly well-armored cat, and...a human, who nevertheless looks quite delicious. Even though she does seem to have the cheetah-spotted woman's cousin bowing at her feet. She leans down and makes sure her pack-dog is still in good health, giving Blackmore a scratch behind his furred ears as she gives the area a final once-over. How everyone managed to get inside without anybody else noticing the others until now, she doesn't quite know, but it seems like nobody has spoken yet.

"Isn't this a treat?" The half-elf muses out loud, as she tucks a lock of black hair behind her pointed ear and rubs her hands together. "A storm, a crumbling piece of cover, and company, too! Let it not be said the Gods are cruel, hmm?" She laughs softly and looks over the other four guests, as Blackmore decides to lay on the cool floor, his saddlebags jingling with goods. "Oh, an introduction. You may call me...Swift. Enchanted." She purrs, and gives the gathered people a little curtsey.

What follows is an expectant look at each present individual, with a sly little smile and a tilt of her head given to the human.

Lost Soul
2014-07-09, 02:38 PM
Rashi

It's here... today, the day?

Rashi had been the first one to reach the church, or so he believed. He sat, relaxed, atop the church's broken podium, now horizontal and by a window.

Ink fell from the tip of his dagger, staining the light brown vest worn over his hide. The orc looked covered in dust. He wore a crude helm, fashioned from wood and bone; more ceremonial than protective. It covered a good deal of his face and was adorned with swirls, dark patches, and other simple symbols. A parchment was laid out before him.

He gently released the grip on his sword, staring at the other inhabitants... a show of peace. Middle and index extended, he tapped his chest and said-

"Isn't this a treat?"

His train of thought interrupted, Rashi looked taken aback. He had not seen that one. Odd. He paused, let her finish, then caught back up with his train. "Rashi."

Recherché
2014-07-09, 08:32 PM
~I thought you were supposed to be keeping an eye out on the weather! Camaka thinks to her companion as they rush into the church.

~You were supposed to be on lookout! I was busy stalking prey. Shavali's voice reverberates in Camaka's mind.

~We have enough food without you going after the pigs. Well okay maybe the extra bacon wouldn't hurt but you could have warned me.

~Can you just start a fire already? Its going to get-

Camaka, we have company.

The large cat turns his head to the other inhabitants of the church

"Isn't this a treat?" The half-elf muses out loud, as she tucks a lock of black hair behind her pointed ear and rubs her hands together. "A storm, a crumbling piece of cover, and company, too! Let it not be said the Gods are cruel, hmm?" She laughs softly and looks over the other four guests, as Blackmore decides to lay on the cool floor, his saddlebags jingling with goods. "Oh, an introduction. You may call me...Swift. Enchanted." She purrs, and gives the gathered people a little curtsey.

What follows is an expectant look at each present individual, with a sly little smile and a tilt of her head given to the human.

Camaka. Her voice cracks with disuse. How long has it been since she's spoken to someone out loud? More than a week at least.

This is Shavali. I can assure you that he won't be a problem The petite woman gestures at the large cat by her side.

~ Why do you always have to introduce me that way? I'm a powerful spirit not a kitten!

~Yeah, but all anyone else is going to see is a giant tiger with fangs and no leash.

~A leash? On me?

~Shavali can you quite down for a second? I can't hear what anyone else is saying.

Sartharina
2014-07-10, 03:08 AM
Theriss was glad he managed to get his mule into the church through one of the back doors - targetting only intelligent creatures or not, he didn't want to take the chance of losing his current only companion in this wasteland - besides, that mule had all his stuff on it!

Mistaking him for a woman wasn't far-fetched - he didn't have the towering height, broad shoulders, narrow hips, carrot waist, wide jaw, and fist-chin that most men of his profession seemed to possess, and his scale armor and helm androgynous, sporting a skirt to cover his thighs.

Fortunately, the presence of others in the room kept the cheetah-spotted feline from falling back into the dark memories of his first storm, but he was still nervous here. His large triangular, serval-like ears twitched at the sound of Swift's voice, though, and he nodded in assent, and grinned goofily back at her. As everyone tried introducing themselves, Theriss facepalmed in frustration. There's no way I'm going to remember all of your names," he chuckled, his voice high-pitched, but distinctly masculine, even if the rest of him wasn't. "I'm Theriss, but I also answer to Sparks and Hotshot."

Hazuki
2014-07-10, 03:42 AM
Swift arches an amused eyebrow at the chortling cheetah-androgyne, but chooses not to comment further. The fact that he has enough of a social circle to maintain three different names, in the middle of a church and surrounded by storms, means that he's either lying about his memory or is simply quite crazy. Camaka seems distracted for a few moments after answering, which means she's also likely disturbed...and the only thing keeping them separated from the tiger's claws, so no complaints there. And it has been quite some time since she smelled somebody quite so well-groomed in the wastes - and herself doesn't count.

The patiently-waiting orc with a pensive look on his face gains the most of Swift's attention, with his odd half of a gesture and his heavy armor scattered around him like some kind of absurd bedspread. Still, the conversation can't come to a close, or the hours spent locked inside the church will be both deadly and incredibly awkward.

"And where are we all from?" Swift asks next, as she perches herself on the edge of one of the benches that line the church's hall. "Don't be afraid to exaggerate. We'd all rather avoid harrowing tales, if this evening has any hope of being scavenged."

jmbrown
2014-07-10, 09:17 AM
"And where are we all from?" The question hung in the air. It's difficult to remember. Nothing in this new world is permanent unless you live in one of the rare cities untouched by the storms. Nomads go separate directions and trade storm maps whenever they cross paths. Some brave (or perhaps desperate) people fled underground. The underdark was always described in legend as a hostile world alien to land dwellers but occasionally a group of humanoids will surface to trade. You recall a map of the area:

http://i.imgur.com/Hm5h05S.png

The hexes are 50 miles, based on the distance an unburdened rider on a swift horse could travel per day.

This area was once called Province. A few people -- usually the ones with gray hair -- still call it that. It's a temperate region, a little on the chilly side even during summer (a comfortable 70 degrees today, and breezy). Caldera is the major city to the north, named so after its geographic location. Everyone is welcome in Caldera... if you can afford to pay off the guards at the gate. You're currently in the southern grasslands where the farmlands have been reclaimed by wild pigs.

To the north the land is untamed wilderness: evergreen forests, rolling hills, and frigid steppes. The Silver Ocean spills to the east, named so because of the way the moon lights the phosphorescent moss topped surface. To the west and south are more temperate regions. You meet many strange people on this continent. People who speak of sand-oceans, foggy marshes, frost capped mountains, and arid plains with marbled plateaus. It's a geographically rich area. Maybe you've been there, maybe you haven't. Living a life on the move takes its toll on the memory and maps are updated frequently to avoid the storms.

Geography
The grasslands to the south of Province were once rich farmland but are fallow now. There's a trail leading through the hills to Caldera but you know a few secret trails through the forested mountains that many don't.

History
Province was one of the first human settlements on this continent. They arrived across the Silver Ocean and foraged north into the forested mountains where they discovered elven ruins in what became the city of Caldera.

Local
People in Province were highly spiritual. No elves have ever lived permanently in Caldera and those that visit do so briefly. Oxbay was a bustling port town that housed Caldera's navy. It has long since been abandoned and the ships run aground or lost at sea.

The people of Province were highly spiritual and religiously tolerant. This had the drawback of inviting esoteric practices The number of cults and local gods is impossible to pin down but a single household could worship a different god for each family member. More religious states would criticize Province as a land of idolaters and heathens. Some of the more inflammatory rumors included tales of cannibalistic rituals and sacrifice.

Sartharina
2014-07-10, 01:22 PM
"Umm... I was raised in a city to the south... west? East? North? Far away? I can't remember anymore," Theriss answered. "... or was there a few years ago. Then a storm hit." As he spoke, he looked around frantically, listening for the storm outside. I wish I knew how these things worked - some can level cities hardly leaving a set stone standing. They can destroy a village like this, while we manage to shelter safely in its own church that the former inhabitants surely could have sheltered in themselves..." he panicked, looking around the church for any chance to get to even greater cover, before just sighing, sitting down and wrapping his arms and tail around himself, hoping whatever deity this church was dedicated to could hear his silent prayers.

jmbrown
2014-07-10, 02:55 PM
As Theriss' voice trails away, he plops down next to a moth eaten blanket. Under it are four skeletons in tattered clothes. Two adult sized skeletons and two child size huddled together. Scattered about are empty tins of rations. There's a wooden cup between them.

The group takes in the surroundings and discovers more skeletons of various sizes. They all tell the same story: huddled together, some covered by blankets, but all of them have a copper cup by their bodies. Empty ration tins litter the ground. All counted for there must be over 50 bodies in here.

Rashi looks around the pew he was sitting on and finds a large copper pot. There's a sticky residue at the bottom.

In the back of the church is a sturdy wooden door. It's closed.

Sartharina
2014-07-10, 03:31 PM
"So it seems they did... But we need to get out of here, if that storm can't end, or else we'll join them" the feline sighed at the sight of the dessicated and decayed corpses.

Recherché
2014-07-10, 03:34 PM
Spirits guide you to a better life next time around . . .

Camaka recovers the bodies where she can.

I've heard of stuff like this before; when the storms came, some people just gave up. They drank poison or slit their own throats. Some believed that the storms were the righteous judgement of the gods others well others just felt like this was the only way out. Her voice is soft and hesitant and shoulders are slumped.

~I'm not so sure that's what happened here. Can you open the door? I'd like to take a look.

~What aren't you telling me, Shavali?

~I just have a bad feeling about this. And if anything goes wrong I come back from the dead. You don't. Why don't you open the door then get started on the fire?

Camaka gives a small reluctant nod and then goes to open the door.

Lost Soul
2014-07-10, 03:56 PM
Rashi

Rashi looked at the skeletons. Sometimes, the storm did not even care for walls. This, he had seen. This, he had lived.

But these had died of starvation. The storm had pretended to care, as it was wont to do. A crueler death.

The one he had not noticed was chatty. The cat...cat-man? No... Cat-woman? Was well-armored. And then there was the one with the tiger, whose usage of the Common tongue was almost as bad as his. He had found himself in a room full of cats and women.

Rashi began drawing on that before him. He used the dagger as a pen of sorts, using his other hand to gesture peacefully, and respond. "I am from..." The words came out rough and aggressive. He paused. "Am from... " And now, simply rough. He paused again. "...from here and there." Did the chatty one want a story?

An outline of the church began to form. As the corpses were addressed and Camaka got up, he ripped an edge of the parchment that was cracked and threw it into the bucket at his side. I have to get myself some better paper.

jmbrown
2014-07-10, 05:39 PM
The door opens. Inside is a small room used as an office. There's a solid oak table and chair with a skeleton wearing tattered vestments slumped over. There's a sparse bookshelf with hand bound books on agriculture, fishing, forestry, and holy doctrine. A chest with a rusty lock is at the foot of the table. There's a door in the western corner that's open revealing a spacious closet. Directly across from it is a fireplace, completely empty except a layer of dust.

In the skeleton's hand is a wooden cup. Its body is slumped over a yellowed parchment next to a dried ink well.

15 Threshold, 360GA (Golden Age)

The gods are punishing me! No, pushing us for my sins! I watched as my neighbors were blasted by heavenly fire leaving behind nothing but their clothes and dust. It struck indiscriminately. I saw the Goodwin twins, not even seven years old, burned alive while crying for their mother who was struck just seconds before. Not even the non-humans and feeble were spared as Gibbon, the lame dwarf who brought me milk each morning, was among the first to go.

The lucky ones made it to the church. At the end, some five score villagers survived out of three hundred. Gods!

18 Threshold
I checked on my children. I read them a story. The ugly duckling. They liked it so much I spent the better part of the night reading it over and over. I had to return before my acolytes finished their morning prayers.

26 Anoint

It's been over a month and the storm has not let up. The lightning apparently does not strike animals as we've been surviving on any vermin we can lure into the building. The gods still allow me to create food and water which I give to my two acolytes and the sheriff. My acolytes can provide enough water but many people have gone as long as a week without food. We're trying to ration what meager scraps we have but my storeroom is out of rations. People are getting antsy and the sheriff is doing his best.

Gods. Time to break into my personal wine collection. A little alcohol will help me forget my guilt.

7 War
I tried to stop them. The miller and his boys rounded up a group of villagers and ventured out. They made it 100 paces before the lightning got them all. I gave a silent thanks for now there'll be more food to share. But now I feel guilty and need more drink.

9 War
One of my children came up during morning prayers. Little John saw him. He was fifteen. Feel guilty. Need more drink.

I'm down an acolyte and people don't believe my story that he left through the backdoor. All the entrances lead to the main hall, anyone could have seen him. I had to break into my special reserves. That kept them quiet.

21 Tyrant
Seven months. No hope. The sheriff figured me out. I explained everything. He said he wanted my good drink. As I rummaged through my storeroom I whistled the song my children like, The Winds of Kasmir. The sheriff was gone when I turned around. I had that drink and the remaining villagers didn't mind seeing the only authority figure gone.

???, ???
I've lost track of time. The storms haven't let up. We've survived but this isn't living. I don't want to see the aftermath of the world we're living in.

I held a beautiful ceremony. Toasted the villagers for their resolve and hoped to see them in the afterlife. All lies, I hoped I wouldn't see them for my place is the Nine Hells.

I considered burning my notes but I hope they survive me. It's a reminder of my sins. I whistle The Winds of Kasmir and my children whistle back. You will survive me. You are strong and beautiful, my ducklings.

One last drink!

Inside the door is a closet. There are empty caskets and rotten crates. A small leather bag contains herbs and another bag contains powder.

Nature
The herbs are hemlock, a deadly poison that slowly causes numbness throughout the body. There's enough here for 8 doses.

The Winds of Kasmir tells of Kasmir, a fabled human city. So great was the king's vanity that he cast out anyone he deemed ugly. These castaways formed their own city in the shadow of Kasmir. The castaway city grew larger than Kasmir king grew more vain. With no one left to judge and unable to cope with the ugliness inside himself, the king offered himself to the winds to be an example to the world about the fault of vanity.

Hazuki
2014-07-11, 02:52 PM
Swift looks over the gathered corpses with little more than apathy, as she leans back in her bench and watches her not particularly talkative companions as they go about their business. The orc who doesn't speak much, people despairing about the situation they find themselves in, and nobody willing to banter with her about it. Their despair is understandable, and she'd be feeling it to, if she didn't acknowledge the fact that they were all living on borrowed time regardless. If the church had been destroyed, or simply not there, they'd all be dead to the storm anyway.

"That chest looks awfully tempting, doesn't it?" The half-elf muses as she peers into the Office. "And the lock none too strong. Perhaps we'll find something sweeter than dessication if we can open it, hmm?"

Sartharina
2014-07-11, 03:06 PM
Theriss went into the den, and read through the journal the guy wrote first. "Wait... what's this talk about guilt?" he asked in bemusement. It was clear the cheetah guy couldn't understand any of the crimes the journal implied. "... how was everyone just disappearing coming in here, and why's he saying he's going to hell?" Picking the journal up, he raised it high and waved it about to indicate to any of his other companions who've found themselves here. "Maybe someone else can understand what this guy was saying, and what happened here?"

Hazuki
2014-07-11, 03:23 PM
"If the legend is of any truth, it mirrors the tale of the Winds of Kasmir." Swift answered the cheetah somewhat boredly. "The writer vainly thought that he could make decisions for the many, due to the dwindling food stock, and that removing some of the other survivors would allow his favored ones to live for longer. Those who discovered it, he had to dispose of, to maintain his original regime. Then the valuable people needed to be removed, he saw his folly, and killed himself. Or perhaps his suicide was his vanity, for he remained the only one who could provide food and water. Or it is the removal of the favor of his deity that allowed him to realize his sins."

"Who cares? The fool is dead now, and his memoirs little more than a tale."

Sartharina
2014-07-11, 04:29 PM
"Wait... what? How are you getting all that out of that?" Theriss asked, still confused. It would seem that critical reading was not his strong suit.

Hazuki
2014-07-11, 04:35 PM
"People are disappearing, he feels guilty about something, he was the most senior member of the survivors, and he's clearly well-acquainted with death if he can kill himself on a whim. Also, I know the song he whistled." Swift shrugs her shoulders. "It's the most probable scenario with what information we've got."

Lost Soul
2014-07-11, 05:29 PM
Rashi

There was a chest in the back. Rashi nodded at Swift's mention of the lock being weak and supplies to be found. But he did not get up. He adjusted his position upon the pew and the knocked down podium, sitting with his legs crossed. The clouds had not even been drawn yet! The chest would have to wait.

The cat-woman had picked up a book. Those words: jumbled, mixed... swirls, all swirls. But Rashi did not need to know how to read to know that a coward with cup in hand was capable of far worse things than mere suicide. Echos of the past.

Despite still being in the front of the church, the orc spots some of the hemlock in the closet. "Some of the writer's poison remains. Hemlock. They went quietly." He motions towards the bag, sounding angry, discontent. He briefly imagined knocking the skeleton from its chair. But he knew better; the dead would not hear nor care for their own desecration.

Rashi added little flowering weeds to the outline of the church he had sketched out. Fitting.

jmbrown
2014-07-11, 07:11 PM
Blackmore sniffs and scratches at the fireplace. He paces in circles then whines.

Shavali has no special senses but its eyes are keen.

~Camaka! The pit of the fireplace is hinged!

Recherché
2014-07-11, 08:52 PM
How could he just give up? They survived for months; they should have been able to keep going. Hells, the storm must have let up at some points. They could have just walked out of here and lived . . .

Shavali's warning pulls Camaka out of her reverie and she runs towards the fireplace.

The fireplace, it's hinged. Maybe the old priest didn't kill them all. Uh if anyone can open that chest it might be a good idea to open it now. The gods alone know what lies down there.

Camaka grabs the hemlock and hurriedly stuffs it in her bag. It may be poison but its lightweight and you never know when something like that could be useful.

Sartharina
2014-07-11, 10:39 PM
Theriss sighed and pulls himself off the wall he was clinging to and headed over to the chest to try and open it. Hopefully, the dead guy had the foresight to not leave it locked before he killed himself.

jmbrown
2014-07-11, 11:46 PM
The chest is locked. The wood on the chest is rotten and the lock is nearly eaten through by rust.

Lost Soul
2014-07-12, 02:14 AM
Rashi

A stroke here, a stroke there, and...

The fireplace, it's hinged. Maybe the old priest didn't kill them all. Uh if anyone can open that chest it might be a good idea to open it now. The gods alone know what lies down there.

This church did have a great many bodies... and potentially, a great many valuables? This could save him weeks worth of work with the caravans. Less time with the nomads, more time with the horizon.

Rashi left his ink, his bow, and his backpack, tapping them for good luck. Pulling a crowbar out of his pack, he went to assist Theriss with the chest. He first tried pulling off the lock with his bare hands, but was ready to resort to his crowbar or even his sword in case of failure.

Sartharina
2014-07-12, 02:30 AM
Theriss stood aside as Rashi approached, gesturing to the chest. "All yours, beast," he growled under his breath with a smile as he watched the muscular orc get to work on opening the chest. His softened tone affectionate, not condescending or patronizing.

Lost Soul
2014-07-12, 09:59 AM
Rashi

Beast?

Rashi cocked his head at the soft-spoken word, but did not misinterpret. Maybe he had misheard, it was but a whisper. Rashi had always been small for his own tribe; more wiry than massive. The storms had stolen his true size from him as well as his true color. Perhaps the cat-thing had not seen the orcs he had seen. He briefly wondered where it was from, never having encountered one in his travels. He nodded at her in silence, unsure how to respond.

The cat-woman seemed nice and the chatty woman seemed eager, though bored. Sickly kindness and swift words. The kind he'd seen from beggars and urchins, and map-men saying they could predict the unpredictable, all for the low, low price of...

As he pulled on the lock, Rashi kept his eyes on his pack, just in case.

jmbrown
2014-07-12, 11:52 AM
Rashi (taking a 10) easily pries open the weak wood. Inside the chest are

-Two corked bottles with fancy hand embroidered labels "Caldera Magma Whiskey, 330GA." They're hand signed by the master brewer and have a number for the oak barrels.
-Four silver candle holders
-A bundle of incense sticks and myrrh oil
-A sack containing 58 copper, 23 silver, and 4 gold
-A single vial of bluish liquid with a faded label "Fo- He-lth"

Finally, Rashi finds a piece of parchment at the bottom of the crate. It's a drawing done in colored chalk.

http://i.imgur.com/Eiy2bOa.jpg

The figure in the center is wearing the same purple vestments with gold trim as the skeleton at the desk.

Lost Soul
2014-07-12, 02:11 PM
Rashi

Rashi places the contents of the chest in the center of the office for all to see and scavenge. He takes a gold piece and one of the bottles for himself, as well as the drawing.

He stared at the drawing for a moment before flicking it over by Swift's bench. "You seem to know things... What you make of this children's drawing? Father-priest fighting back bad men? Priest-father fighting back... pig-men?" Rashi chuckled, remembering his own first sketches.

He laid his gaze towards the fireplace. Was there really something to it?

Recherché
2014-07-12, 03:37 PM
Since the orc is being so generous, Camaka takes one of the gold pieces, the incense, oil and the copper kettle. It may be poisoned now but she can scrub it out later and use it for so many things. In the end the kettle may prove more valuable than the potion. The potion can only be used once, but the kettle will last as forever.

She's quiet as she exchanges her scavengings for the brass and glass lantern in Shavali's packs, both inside her head and outside despite the eidolon's complaints about the extra weight. It takes a few tries but eventually she lights the lantern and moves to open the fireplace pit with one hand while holding the lantern in the other. Shavali won't need the light to see but Camaka would like to see for herself as well besides the light is comforting in a place so steeped in tragedy.

jmbrown
2014-07-12, 07:33 PM
Something clicks in Swift's head. She analyzes the bag with white powder, then the crude painting, then the journal, then the fireplace. The gears in her head turn.

Bardic Knowledge
Rumors you've picked up here and there tell of demon children born in these backwoods towns before The Fall. These maligned babies were either slaughtered in their mothers hands or abandoned in the woods to leave to the wolves. It became such an epidemic that in some areas unmarried pregnant women were the targets of violence believed to be witches who laid with demons.

Knowledge Local
But you're smart enough to separate fact from legend.. A synthesized drug (the name escapes you as you're no alchemist) was advertised as a miracle sedative to cure anxiety, insomnia, and pain. It was popular in rural areas because it was cheap and easy to create. Unfortunately, the side effects resulted in severe deformations and mania in the fetuses of pregnant women. Babies were born with twisted limbs, bulging eyes, webbed hands, and horrific features. Thousands of newborn babies were inflicted before local forces put a stop to the distribution. Sadly, the innocent children paid the price as they were often killed by fearful villagers.

Hazuki
2014-07-12, 07:58 PM
"Don't open the hatch." Swift warns whoever approaches the fireplace, as her eyes flicker to the drawing and then back to the hinged hatch. "I'm less certain of what's happening now. The white dust in that pouch was a drug that led to deformed children, coinciding with paranoia about demon children." She stands still for a moment, counting in her head. "One hundred survived the initial storm. It came because of his sins, he claims. Then he talks of his children being separate from his acolytes, and the drawing...so they were down the hatch." The half-elf stares at it for just a little longer.

"He killed Little John for seeing one of his children, so they must be deformed. He whistled the song to kill the Sheriff. He ends his note by saying that his children are still alive..." She lifts a hand up to her forehead and rubs it gently. "The drink was poison, yes? And that's what kept his people quiet, the ones who wanted to take the children; maybe? I'm not certain..." Swift looks to the others. "We'd best not open the hatch. We should bar it, if we can, even if we don't know what's going on yet."

"We know one hundred people survived. We know at least six more that were then killed. We know at least two more disappeared inside this church. We know the priest had multiple children in the cellar. We know he felt guilty for unspecified sins. We know the priest had poison. We know he had a drug that led to deformed children. We know he had at least two varieties of drink. We know he killed himself. And we know he suspected his children would survive him."

She glances to the main hall. "First, bar the hatch. Second, count the corpses; there should be ninety one, not including the priest, else something has been disturbing them. Third, do not whistle. Any other suggestions?" She asks, ushering Blackmore away from the hatch. "And don't try to think of answers yet. Gather as much information as possible, then we can try to figure out what happened. What happened here is actually important, now that our lives may depend on what we learn."

Recherché
2014-07-12, 11:26 PM
Camaka freezes in her tracks on hearing the bard's pronouncement.

That;s why they couldn't leave. They were hear for months the storms probably let up at some point or another. But they couldn't leave because the priest wouldn't leave the children behind and they couldn't take the children with them. Come to think of it they might not have wanted to leave if that would mean the children at their backs.

Her voice has dropped even further to barely above a whisper and Camaka is looking at the previously irritating half-elf with a new respect.

I might . . . I might have a way to take a look inside without actually opening up the fireplace.

~Please tell me that you're not doing what I think you're doing. You can't send me away when you're in a crowd of strangers. Who knows what they'll do to you.

~I think it'll be fine, they haven't threatened me so far. but yeah I don't like the idea of revealing ourselves. I think it might have to happen though. I swear I'll bring you back as soon as possible.

Camaka looks at the floor trying to check what its made of and tries to remember from earlier what the church was built on. It all depends on whether its dirt that can be dug up or stone that would have to be broken . . .

jmbrown
2014-07-13, 01:15 AM
The floor is wooden planks. If there was an engineer in the party they could go into more detail about the foundation.

Sartharina
2014-07-13, 01:57 AM
Theriss gave in to his own superstitions as he listened to Swift speaking. "Hmm... maybe. But we also have another problem," he sighed, before bashing the desiccated corspe of the priest with his shield. His own memories of his battle against suicide after losing his home reminded him of his parent's stories, and some of the information he was taught from his order. "Souls that take their own life never find the rest they seek. And what happened here is an atrocity beyond words."

He hoped he was wrong - if there were demons in the cellar, then revenants within the church as well would make their situation even worse. But the fear was with him, and he didn't want to take the risk.

After calming down, though, and reflecting on what Swift said, he shook his head and furrowed his brow. Looking at the now-mangled corpse he ruined out of his superstitious reaction, he clapped a paw over his face. "No... We're here for a reason, and these storms probably have something to do with it. Counting the bodies won't work - We don't know how many chose to leave with the miller and got zapped," he explained firmly, pointing out a detail she seemed to overlook. Heading over to the fireplace hatch, Theriss knelt down and knocked against it. "Is anyone down there? Can you understand me?" he shouted against the hatch, then waited to hear a response.

Hazuki
2014-07-13, 11:51 AM
"Counting the bodies is still useful data that we ca-" Swift slaps the cheetah clean across the face as he tries to yell into the hatch. "Are you dense?!" She hisses at the man. "Are you retarded?! In what school were you trained in that yelling to people-eating demon children is considered a valid course of action?!"

Sartharina
2014-07-13, 12:21 PM
Theriss turns around to face her after she slapped him. "The part where they aren't the demons the townspeople though they were![/blue]" He replied, rubbing his cheek. "These storms are a monument to our sins, manifestations of our wrongs against each other, purging the land of the guilty to cleanse it, and innocent to spread the pain of our hatreds and spites." he answered. "The storm never let up until this village was dead - and I think the priest's children are the heart of it. They don't have to be the bad guys, even if they look it and have been treated as such." The young paladin spoke with conviction, and loud enough that hopefully the people trapped in the hatch, if they still lived, could hear him. "The sins of their father and this town shall not live another day!"

Hazuki
2014-07-13, 12:32 PM
"My, what a fancy way of saying 'Yes, yes I am'." Swift snorts at the cheetah and walks out of the office, immediately setting about to find herself a spot where she'll be safe from the demon children. "Ignore the fact that they were, in fact, responsible for the disappearance of the Sheriff. Let's not investigate the possibility that there may have been something evil! Let us delve in, headfirst, with our foregone conclusions!" She said back to the self-righteous moralizer who didn't even bother to investigate before cracking open the demon pit.

Searching for any hiding spot that Swift can reasonably access.

[roll0]

jmbrown
2014-07-13, 05:50 PM
Theriss' voice echoes throughout the fireplace before getting slapped by Swift. There's no reply.

Swift looks around for hiding places. If one went prone the pews could be used for total cover.

Shavali tenses. ~Shh! Do you hear that, Camaka? Scratches. I can't pinpoint them, though.

Blackmore whines.

Recherché
2014-07-13, 07:02 PM
~Well there goes that plan. Can't run, can't hide, so I guess we have to fight?

~Fighting sounds good.

Camaka touches Shavali for a second and pours a extra power into his skin. There's no visible difference but she can feel it; no longer soft fur beneath her hands, but something that feels more like bone.

Can you hear it? There's scratching sounds. The bad news is they're down there and they're active. The good news is that they're something physical, Her voice is low enough that she hopes whatever is down there can't hear her but everyone in the room should be able to.

Shavali settles in front of the fireplace ready to pounce while Camaka backs off a bit and pulls out her sling and loads it.

Casting Mage Armor on Shavali

Lost Soul
2014-07-13, 07:07 PM
"We know one hundred people survived. We know at least six more that were then killed. We know at least two more disappeared inside this church. We know the priest had multiple children in the cellar. We know he felt guilty for unspecified sins. We know the priest had poison. We know he had a drug that led to deformed children. We know he had at least two varieties of drink. We know he killed himself. And we know he suspected his children would survive him."

Had she counted the miller and his boys? And why did it matter? There were only a few dozen bodies here by his estimation. Even so, there wasn't particularly any flesh left to eat, unless the 'children' ventured out for rats and pigs. Surely nothing that lives could have survived. And even that which does not live may have moved on, Rashi thought.

The beautiful elf-human seemed quite sure of herself for having had but a cursory glance at a drawing, some liquids, and some words on papers. But she was right about one thing: they needed information. Before the orc could even move to gather it, Swift and Theriss began to argue.

"These storms are a monument to our sins, manifestations of our wrongs against each other, purging the land of the guilty to cleanse it, and innocent to spread the pain of our hatreds and spites." he answered."

Monuments to sin! A common belief, one that may very well be altogether true. Rashi sought this Truth, but had not found an answer. He leaned towards the End simply being the End; it did not need rhyme, reason, justification. Monuments to sin! Perhaps the creatures were still here... The storm had decided not to kill them directly, but rather presented a challenge to overcome. A challenge to rise to! Or perhaps the storm had decided not to kill him directly... Were the inhabitants each other's challenge? Were the women Rashi's challenge? Were they in the way of another day? ...No, please no, not again. Rashi shook his head quietly.

Swift's removal from the room brought him back to the situation. He realized now how loud Theriss had been. He drew his sword to bear.

"Still your voice!" Rashi snarled at Theriss and anyone still speaking above a whisper. "Dim your lights! Listen! And look."

He moved towards the hatch, menacingly, in a posture that would seem aggressive to anyone in the way. His eyes darted above and below him; if only he had time to check the floorboards. Was this the only entrance to the supposed threats? He hoped Camaka would come through with her idea.

She comes through instead with new information, mentioning scratches that he himself had not heard. Rashi twirls his sword, ready to strike alongside the tiger.

jmbrown
2014-07-13, 09:15 PM
He moved towards the hatch, menacingly, in a posture that would seem aggressive to anyone in the way. His eyes darted above and below him;

Rashi looks up and sees a shape in the chimney. It takes him a few precious seconds to filter out the ambient light and switch over to darkvision. Rashi peers up twenty feet into the darkness and something looks back.

http://i.imgur.com/h1Wopvq.jpg

Surprise Round

Rashi, 16: You see a face looking down at you from the chimney twenty feet above. Surprise action.

Lost Soul
2014-07-13, 11:13 PM
Rashi, Initiative: 16, Surprise Round

Rashi's vision adjusts and... What is that?

A child? A demon? He did not have time to think and instead did the first thing that came to mind.

"Stay, child. Stay." he said to the set of eyes before him, as if addressing a dog. One of his hands briefly left his sword to gesture peacefully before returning to its original intent: ready to impale the unknown thing before him at the first sign of aggression.

Free actions: Gesture, speak
Standard: Ready action attack (trigger: if the face jumps down)

jmbrown
2014-07-14, 09:21 PM
Surprise, I16
Rashi readies his action and speaks out to the creature in the chimney.

Surprise, I6
The creature twists its whole body into the chimney with ease. Rashi sees that its limbs are disjointed and mangled but it moves with almost cat-like grace. It smiles a toothy grin and croaks "Ughlee mahn. Ughlee mahn wit piggy faysh. Wee! Wee! Wee!"

R1I17 (Round 1, Initiative 17 this is how I do initiative tracking)
Shavali sees Rashi speaking with something in the chimney. She can still hear scratching all around her.

Recherché
2014-07-14, 10:30 PM
~See this is why I want wings!

Shavali waits for something to come into the range of his fangs

Guys I don't think that's what's making the scratching sounds. Remember the drawing, monsters above, monsters below? I think there might be two different sets of monsters

Note: Shavali also has darkvision

jmbrown
2014-07-14, 11:25 PM
R1I16: Rashi's turn. The thing in the chimney continues to taunt you.

Lost Soul
2014-07-15, 12:24 AM
Rashi

In truth, under his helm, a pig face was probably preferable to his ravaged, scarred, orcish skin. It no longer remained even green, instead changing and morphing with every passing season; at times a pale grey and at other times a freakish purple and black. A curse of winds and dust, though Rashi thought it a message of the storms.

He suppressed the urge to climb up there himself and drag the thing down to its death. His anger began to reach his face, not due to the insults but rather due to knowing how this will likely all end: in blood, buckets and buckets of blood.

"Ughlee mahn have piggy food." Rashi retrieved a piece of jerky he had been saving for later from his belt and dropped it atop the fireplace. He took a step back, shouting "Cahm down, friend. Food."

Move: retrieve jerky
Free: Drop jerky
5-foot step back
Standard: ready action-> attack if he or tiger is attacked, and he is still in range

jmbrown
2014-07-15, 07:32 AM
R1I10: Theriss sees Rashi talking to someone in the chimney, dropping food, and backing off.

jmbrown
2014-07-17, 04:40 AM
R1I9.5 (Creature had same initiative as Camaka but has higher dexterity)
Blackmore begins barking. From her hiding place under a pew Swift looks up and sees a humanoid perched in the rafters 30 feet up.

http://i.imgur.com/ro9PxrF.jpg

The creature is naked, hobbled, and twisted with grotesquely long arms and lanky limbs. In its six fingered hands is a stone block. Its gaze is fixated on the door leading to the office and the creature, half bathed in shadow, doesn't appear to notice you.

R1I9
Camaka looks down at her feet where the scratching is concentrated. A trap door, perfectly flush with the wood floor, slides aside. Camaka peers into the darkness but can only make out a vague shape in the darkness below.

Recherché
2014-07-17, 08:31 PM
~You know suddenly fighting seems like a bad option. What do you say we try talking?

Camaka tries to look as non-threatening as possible and calls out to the unseen creatures.

We did not mean to intrude and we mean you no harm. We simply seek shelter from the storm. When it passes we too will go. Until then may we stay here? I can provide food and drink. Also if the objects we picked up are yours I will be happy to return them; I thought this place to be abandoned and unclaimed.

Hazuki
2014-07-18, 03:21 AM
Swift

Ducked behind the benches still, Swift attempts to make a gesture to get Blackmore to calm down for a few moments, before turning her gaze to look up at the creature that has yet to spot her. She tries to make her movements as quiet as possible as she utters an incantation, her voice reaching into the creature's mind as her lips part and she attempts to imitate being its own thoughts.

~"Mmm...trust people. Let go of block and relax."

Move to try to get Blackmore to shut up, then casting Message as a Standard Action and using Bluff to make it think the voice in her head are its own thoughts.

Bluff: [roll0]

WELP.

jmbrown
2014-07-19, 02:45 AM
From the trap door rises a hulking humanoid standing almost 8 feet tall. Its upper torso is grotesquely huge and lined with tumors. Its right arm is almost as long as its body and as thick as a tree trunk. It's left arm is almost infantile in size.

We did not mean to intrude and we mean you no harm. We simply seek shelter from the storm. When it passes we too will go. Until then may we stay here? I can provide food and drink. Also if the objects we picked up are yours I will be happy to return them; I thought this place to be abandoned and unclaimed.

The brute looks from Camaka to the smashed skeleton at the desk. "Hruh? F-fajah?"

The feral creature in the fireplace slides down to gobble up the jerky.

The stalker in the rafters has keen senses. Its attention immediately turns to Swift as she casts.

~"Mmm...trust people. Let go of block and relax."

The stalker replies to Swift [color=red"Err, urrkay,"[/color] more of a confirmation to itself than an understanding of how the spell works. It absently drops the block which crashes dangerously close to Swift's head.

Round 2
Rashi, the feral creature is happily chewing away at the jerky. You're adjacent to the feral creature (who is considered prone right now) and 10' away from the brute.

Theriss had a held action. He is 10' away from the brute, standing near the desk.

Camaka and Shavali are adjacent to the brute. It appears focused on the desk.

Everyone post your actions, we'll do the party->monsters system for now to speed up posting.

Sartharina
2014-07-19, 01:05 PM
"Can you read? Your father took his own life, but explained it all here. I think it was to protect you," Theriss asked the 'Brute', coming up to him slowly, and leaving his sword in his sheath. Of course, he was mentally swearing over his paranoia that the corpse would rise from the dead. Definitely not helping the situation.

jmbrown
2014-07-20, 07:04 AM
"Hruh? HRAAAAH!"

The brute roars in Theriss' face, then brings down its trunk-sized arm into the desk. The desk and skeleton explode in a shower of splinter and bone. Theriss is shaken from the brute's intimidation.

The feral thing laughs with its mouth stuffed full of jerky.

Rashi, Camaka, and Swift: actions.

Recherché
2014-07-20, 03:10 PM
Camaka buries her hand in the thick coarse fur around Shavali’s neck. One would think telepathy would make touching less necessary but instead it only makes it more so. Shavali’s thought flood into Camaka’s and in them she finds some measure of comfort and stability.

Yes, I believe those are the late father’s earthly remains. Is there any kind of ritual that needs to be done with them? I am unfamiliar with your beliefs.

Lost Soul
2014-07-20, 04:22 PM
Rashi

From the trap door rises a hulking humanoid standing almost 8 feet tall. Its upper torso is grotesquely huge and lined with tumors. Its right arm is almost as long as its body and as thick as a tree trunk. It's left arm is almost infantile in size.

The brute looks from Camaka to the smashed skeleton at the desk. "Hruh? F-fajah?"

Another one. The situation felt out of control. Were Rashi alone, he might've already started swinging. The feral thing's neck was an especially easy target at the moment. The orc felt a surge of panicked adrenaline but quickly refocused himself.

He had more food in his bag. If he could only get to it...

"Ughlee mahn have m-"

"Hruh? HRAAAAH!"

The brute roars in Theriss' face, then brings down its trunk-sized arm into the desk. The desk and skeleton explode in a shower of splinter and bone. Theriss is shaken from the brute's intimidation.

The feral thing laughs with its mouth stuffed full of jerky.

Interrupted by the large one and confused by everyone speaking, he gave up on his idea. Hoping to catch their attention, he wrinkled his eyebrows at his companions' wordiness and pointed vaguely in the direction of the jerky.

Free action: gesture
Ready action: attack whatever attacks him
Attack roll: [roll0]

Hazuki
2014-07-21, 09:44 PM
Swift tentatively pulls the bow free from her back as Blackmore quietens down and the creature seems quite happy to drop its weapon and stay calm for the moment. Trusting her allies to keep talking, and planning on using her established link to intervene, or try actual diplomacy if the slipshod attempts of her companions doesn't work, she keeps it pointed low. Then she listens, attempting to judge the motivation of these creatures from their actions.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Move Action to draw bow.

Readied Action to five-foot-step out of melee if one of the creatures attacks her.

Sartharina
2014-07-22, 01:02 PM
Visibly intimidated by the angry creature, Theriss seemed unsure what to do. Unhappy children he could deal with, but not when he couldn't communicate with them. Especially not those that were larger and stronger than him, and apparently prone to a violent tantrum. Still, he raised his shield, ready to interrupt and defend against the beast if he tried to attack him, while also starting to hum the opening melody of one of his favorite and more relevant songs to try and sooth the beast.

Full defense, really, since I can't go with Diplomacy yet. I have Monstrous Rapport instead of Detect Evil, and I fully intend to use it!

Even if it means I have to start singing Swedish House Mafia songs!

jmbrown
2014-07-22, 06:59 PM
Swift is wise enough to realize this situation can't be soothed with words alone. The creatures are slightly smarter than animals, it's amazing they can speak at all. Like a wild dog they're curious but also ferociously territorial. At least the stalker in the rafters is busy beating on its head with a closed fist.

Interrupted by the large one and confused by everyone speaking, he gave up on his idea. Hoping to catch their attention, he wrinkled his eyebrows at his companions' wordiness and pointed vaguely in the direction of the jerky.

Rashi's actions fail to get the attention of the brute. It beats its chest and pounds on the ground wildly.

Outside the clouds lighten. The storm ends as quickly as it came.

Round 3
Theriss is threatened by the brute who blocks the doorway leading to the main hall. Camaka and Rashi are both 10' away from it. The feral thing rolls on the ground laughing.

Lost Soul
2014-07-24, 02:46 AM
Rashi

The storms subsided. More children did not show up. The grip on Rashi's sword loosened, though remained. Perhaps this was not a challenge to be conquered. Perhaps blood was not to be spilled.

If the storms were really gone, rations would be less important. But his bag and bow remained in the other room... "Food! Offer them food!" he yelled to his companions.

Free action: gesture to catch anyone's attention
Ready action: Attack feral creature if anyone is attacked

Recherché
2014-07-24, 02:48 AM
Well now that the storm is gone, I think I'll be going. If you would be kind enough to step aside . . . Otherwise my companion here will force you to move

Camaka tries to enforce a confidence on her words that she doesn't truly feel.

~If he doesn't move out of the way . . .

~I know Shavali growls slightly in her mind

The two of them start walking towards the door, Shavali first with Camaka a few feet behind using her spear as a walking stick.

Camaka draws her spear, both Camaka and Shavali move for the door with Shavali ready to attack anyone who tries to stop them from getting out

jmbrown
2014-07-24, 07:05 AM
Camaka readies her spear and advances. The brute waits until she's within arms reach of it before roaring and swinging. The tree-trunk arm slams into Camaka across the chest for 6 points of damage.

In response to the clear aggression, Shavali bites the brute in the thigh for 6 damage.

All attempts of placating the brute drop. Rashi brings down his greatsword, carving into the brute's chest for 12 damage. The brute's legs buckle but it still stands.

The feral creature lets out a high pitched wail. From its prone position it grabs hold of Rashi's leg (improved grapple). The creature isn't strong but surprisingly wiry. It gets Rashi into a headlock and wrenches for 5 damage.

Up in the rafters, Swift sees the stalker swing into the ceiling and disappear through a crawlspace overhead of the office.

Round 3 actions for Theriss and Swift.

Round 4 actions for everyone, please. Rashi is being grappled.

Sartharina
2014-07-24, 03:18 PM
Theriss sighed as his hesitance in trying to work up the courage to try and calm the brute was interrupted by Shavali and Camaka trying to walk past and incurring its wrath, and all hell broke loose. "No, Bad Boy! Down!" He tried barking to the feral creature wrapping around Rashi, dropping his shield and drawing his sword and putting both hands behind the attack. Hopefully, the strike could subdue the beast, and it would be possible to get the others to stand down. Otherwise... things would get messier. o

Actions:
Merciful Smite: [roll0] [roll1] Nonlethal.

Hazuki
2014-07-24, 07:13 PM
Noticing the stalking member of the demon children family walk away, Swift listens for the sounds of combat in the other room that have surely driven it to find its siblings, then glances at the door and the soothing sounds of an absent storm. Keeping her bow low, she moves over to the doors of the church and swings them open, gesturing for Blackmore to follow her. Weighing her options, and the fact that they're likely to have noticed her opening the door regardless, the half-elf calls out to the others.

"More are coming. Let's try to find a decent bottleneck, instead of letting our piety get in the way again, shall we? Like this lovely entrance that also allows an escape route?"

jmbrown
2014-07-25, 09:32 PM
Theriss comes down on the feral creature with the flat of his blade. It crumples in a drooling heap.

Swift opens the church door. Cool air wafts in, blowing away the stench of death and decay. It's eerily silent outside.

Round 4
The brute's rage halts. Mid-swing it turns to look outside. Its eyes gloss over as it stands stupefied.

Lost Soul
2014-07-26, 12:23 AM
Rashi (Round 4)

The orc brushed off the spot on his legs the feral one had been on. His neck stung and reddened. He would have to thank the cat-girl... No, cat-man? Cat-girl. He would have to thank her later.

Tired of words, angered by the creatures' aggression, Rashi had decided enough is enough. The storms played tricks. Here one moment, gone the next. The brute stood... almost mesmerized by the miracle. For Rashi, it was merely a sign; one storm ends, another begins. Here.

HP: 9/14
Free Action: Enter Rage (+4 STR, +2 AC, +2 Reflexes, may make additional attack [-2 to all attacks if so])
Full-round: Charge Brute (+2 to attacks, -2 to AC)

Attack Roll 1: [roll0]
Damage Roll 1: [roll1]

Attack Roll 2: [roll2]
Damage Roll 2: [roll3]

Current AC: 15

Recherché
2014-07-26, 02:01 AM
Camaka screams in pain from the hit. Her pain echoes through the link with Shavali and the tiger roars its response flecks of blood flying out of his gore tinged mouth. Camaka's own mind is almost overwhelmed from the blood lust that has rendered Shavali nearly senseless. He launches himself at the enemy in a flurry of teeth and claws.

~Revenge . . . Kill . . . Maul

Camaka takes a step back and shifts her spear to block any attacks.

~Calm down. We can get out of this. We just need to go outside. She's not sure if she's speaking more to Shavali or herself.

Camaka takes a 5ft step away any enemies and goes into total defense. Shavali will full attack the closest living enemy

Bite: [roll0]
Bite damage: [roll1]

Claw 1: [roll2]
Claw 1: damage [roll3]

Claw 2: [roll4]
Claw 2: damage [roll5]

jmbrown
2014-07-26, 07:18 PM
(No charge for Rashi, he's already in threatening range)

With a brutal overhead chop Rashi drives his sword through the stunned brute's chest, through its clavicle, and down to its heart. It collapses with a gurgle, it's infantile left arm grasping at the light from the church door.

Shavali tears at its throat in anger.

From the rafters Swift sees the stalker leap down, tumble, and bolt out the open door. It's 30' outside the church.

End of Combat Rounds

The feral creature is out cold. Unless anyone chases after it, the stalker is running full speed.

Sartharina
2014-07-26, 11:11 PM
The death of the brute left Theriss visibly shaken, and he sheathed his sword. He also began making a "k'histh" sound repeatedly, before blinking twice, and shaking his head. "K'histh... It shouldn't have had to end like this... but maybe he was too dangerous to let live. Maybe they all are, or were.K'histh" he muses, and looks to the feral one he knocked out. "K'histh, I don't know."

Hazuki
2014-07-26, 11:23 PM
"Are you still philosophizing? There are other creatures, but I would hate to intrude on your poetry slam." Swift yells into the church as she steps aside to watch the other demon child run away.

jmbrown
2014-07-27, 04:07 AM
The stalker's gone. It practically runs up a wall, tumbles across a roof, leaps onto the mill and dives into the river all while making jubilant (and equally disturbing) chirping noises.

The sky is cloudless. It's getting into late afternoon.

Recherché
2014-07-27, 06:00 PM
~It's okay Shavali, we're safe now. I'll be fine. I promise.

Camaka lets the link with Shavali open again sending what she hopes are soothing thoughts into his mind. With a groan she lifts up her shirt to take a look at just how bad the brute hurt her. In another time, in another place Camaka might have been embarassed to undress in front of near strangers but modesty is currently a luxury she doesn't have.

It doesn't look too bad; broken and cracked ribs but it'll heal with time or magic. It'll have to be time she thinks. She has enough magic left for one last good spell and that might be needed for something else.

Well, is anyone willing to take a look down the fireplace now? I sort of want to know if there's something down there waiting for our backs to be turned.

Lost Soul
2014-07-28, 01:56 AM
Rashi

Full of bloodlust, Rashi charges after the stalker but trips over the brute's tiny hand, his boot crushing its paper-thin bones. He awkwardly stumbles outside only to watch the stalker fade from sight. The clear sky calms him and the rage passes.

"Are there others, Swift?" Rashi responds, now by her side, rubbing his neck with one hand. He eyes the trap door and the mill as well as the unconscious feral creature.

"Hm," he grunts at Camaka's suggestion. His eyes now turn above him, to the roof, clearly trying to make sure it's safe out here before being thrown into danger once more. "Down there? No... up here," he says, pointing at the unconscious one with his sword. The color red drips from its tip.

Hazuki
2014-07-28, 04:54 AM
"Why would you assume I said it if I didn't mean it?" Swift asks the man with an arched eyebrow, as she gazes out over the area the creature skittered to. "It was in the rafters. I managed to sway it into not joining the combat that resulted from your atrocious attempts at diplomacy."

Lost Soul
2014-07-28, 05:46 AM
Rashi

"Diplomacy!" Rashi says, erupting in smiles and laughter while walking over to his bag and checking its contents. "Agreed! Animals do not hear words." He shoulders the pack along with his bow. "But sometimes little jerky goes long way. Not this day."

Rashi addresses Theriss, who seemed to show the most remorse over the situation. "Little demon must go." He taps the edge of his blade and looks towards the feral child.

Sartharina
2014-07-28, 11:11 AM
Theriss sighed again, looking at the unconscious creature. "They're people, not creatures. Abused by community and nature alike... yet maybe it's for the best to return him to his father. Maybe he can be free... but he might be a danger to others. Might." Theriss mused, standing between Rashi and the creature. "It feels wrong. It's not his fault, but he might not be able to fix it, either. ... I hate this place"

Put off by the whole situation, Theriss moved over to the basement. "Let's check this place out. Then, I'm gonna check the houses around here for a few clean sets of clothes that fit."

Lost Soul
2014-07-28, 07:50 PM
Rashi
Rashi purses his lips, unsure about whether Theriss is in his way or not. After a moment, he reluctantly takes some rope out of his pack and binds the feral one's hands and feet. "One moment."

Afterwards, he joins all those willing to explore the trap door, taking point if Theriss or Shavali are unwilling to.

If we're using a skill for tying up someone (like Survival or Escape Artist) instead of 20 + CMB like in Pathfinder, Rashi takes 10.

Recherché
2014-07-29, 04:50 AM
Getting out seems like a remarkably good idea. I just want to be sure we won't be attacked in the back on the way out. Mind if the two of us stay up here? Shavali can't climb and I'm a little worried about going down while wounded.

Camaka gestures at the broken bones in her side.

I can send some backup with you though. This is going to get a little weird but trust me.

~ I suppose they didn't try to kill you when you got injured. So I guess they can be trusted somewhat at least. Start calling me back as soon as you can? I don't like missing stuff like this.

Camaka gives the tiger a nod and releases the power that had been calling him to her. Within a few seconds Shavali has faded away into nothing and the shaman can get to work. She cast her mind outwards trying to find a spirit that will meet her needs. for whatever reason the spirits do not come when Shavali is with her; Camaka has tried to ask about it but most spirits aren't intelligent enough to articulate why other than Savali feels "wrong." At last Camak finds one, ancient and weak yes, but powerfule enough for this purpose.

Oh great spirit how may I call upon thee?

~ I am Màayapáan the howler. What do you seek of me and what do you offer?

I seek your presence and I offer the gift of flesh and the gift of prayer.

The ritual words come unbidden to her now. Simply automatic.

~Very well it has been too long since I have had flesh or belief

Thus is our treaty written; thus is the agreement made.
What was asked is given. The price is paid."

It is a strange process to allow another being into the seat of one's soul and from that to give them life. Camaka always wonders what would happen if she let a spirit in without making a contract first. Would the spirit inside her rip her apart? Still it is done quickly and soon a small monkey, or what looks like a monkey on casual glance appears out of thin air and begins moving towards the trap door.

He's not a warrior by any means but that little guy can see in perfect darkness and he's tougher than he looks. Oh and in case anyone besides me can speak Celestial, he can speak it as well.

Now I need to get started on calling Shavali back. This might take a minute so I suggest you go on without me.

Camaka always start with Shavali's heart, visualizing that and then beginint to build the tracery of veins. Over the next minute she adds in bones, muscle, organs, skin and claws before pouring the power of her soul into the image she constructs.

Dismissing Shavali (Standard action)
Calling up a Celestial Monkey (also a Standard action)
Begin resummoning Shavali (Will take a full minute)

jmbrown
2014-07-30, 12:13 AM
((I'm going to speed time forward here))

The group does a full search of the church. Rashi and Theriss make their way downstairs while Shavali and Swift remain upstairs on watch. There's a crawlspace in the ceiling that connects the office and worship room. It can be reached by a hole in the chimney or standing on the priest's desk. It's completely empty except for unsightly waste stains and half eaten rat corpses.

Downstairs

The trap door in the floor and the latch in the fireplace lead to a stone basement, a single room that stretches across the entire church. In one corner are tattered blankets piled into a makeshift bed. Lining the walls are crude drawings depicting the same basic image as the piece of parchment: a division between the surface and underground with black horned figures converging on a saintly man protecting hunched humanoids.

There are two two separate skeletons, their bones tied together by twine and arranged into disturbing effigies. Several iron cages hold plump rats being suckled on by pups.

In the center of the room is a large hole dropping down some ten feet. Running water from the nearby river flows beneath the hole creating a makeshift well. A bucket with rope is attached to an iron hoop in the wall.

Finally, scattered in a corner are discarded items. A suit of fine leather armor, a well polished mace, cleric's vestments (slightly smelly but intact), a silver holy symbol, a hand crafted pipe, a sack of tobacco, and a silver signet ring denoting an authoritative office.

Upstairs
Two hours have passed since Theriss and Rashi combed the area. The sun is beginning to touch the horizon.

Blackmore sniffs the air and stoops low, growling. Suddenly a wild pig comes rushing into the area squealing like mad. It crashes into a pew and collapses. Several arrows riddle its body.

Swift and Shavali hear a woman's voice outside. "It went in the church, Ghurne! Round up the rest, we're eatin' good tonight!"

Sartharina
2014-07-30, 02:59 PM
"As much as I hate to admit it, and it makes me sick to consider it... it would probably be best to kill the surviving child. We are demons to them, and that has made them into monsters do us. I don't think the mercy of sparing them will outweigh the torment of trying to get them to accept us, and it's probably a fool's errand to try to get others to accept them," Theriss confided to Rashi in the basement upon seeing the twisted effigy in the room. His first reaction to it was disgust, but he was all too familiar with the hell the children had been put through. Of course, he was also appreciative of the finer things, and moved to check out the quality and aesthetic of the items discarded in the corner.

Recherché
2014-07-31, 02:24 AM
Camaka walks to the door of the church and call out.

Hello? Someone else around here?

Lost Soul
2014-07-31, 07:28 PM
Rashi

Rashi follows the monkey and the cat-girl down. He catches a glimpse of Shavali's reconstruction before leaving. Impressive.

"Twisted minds," he says upon seeing the effigies. "Grabbing on to what isn't there." He helps Theriss collect the valuables. They could divide it up later.

Rashi nods his head in agreement and points back in the direction of the child. "Little one, murderous eyes. Death would be a release." He grabs at his dagger and twiddles it slowly. "But... " A moment later, he puts it away. "...we won't be here for long."

Storms pass. Storms go.

jmbrown
2014-08-03, 11:53 AM
Camaka calls out just as someone runs up to the church doors. It's an elven woman in fine chainmail and green silk pants. Her brown bob cut accentuates her pointed ears. Her features are more rounded than the typical sharpness of an elf. She holds a magnificent longbow, arrow still nocked but pointing down.

"Hello... didn't think anyone else would be here so soon after the storm passed." The woman looks Camaka up and down. She leans over to take in the twisted body of the brute. "You're injured. What happened here?"

Hazuki
2014-08-03, 12:38 PM
Swift

Swift, having been lingering around the pews and occasionally stroking Blackmore whenever she got bored with staring at the architecture of the church, perks up slightly when another group of people present themselves...after chasing a pig into the church. A very noisy and annoying pig, so it was probably related to the cat. When the voice appears, she shifts slightly more upright and watches the door with her big hazel eyes until she spots another woman enter the church.

Coolly standing up from her seat and smiling a charming smile, Swift saunters over to the bow-wielding woman. "One of the people taking shelter decided it would be an excellent idea to rile the local beehive." She explains. "It ended without most of us dying, though that creature's sibling escaped." She says, and gestures to the deceased brute. "But where are our manners? You may call me Swift." She curtseys. "Enchanted."

Taking 10 for 20 on Diplomacy, to change her attitude.

Sartharina
2014-08-04, 03:12 PM
As Theriss climbed back up the ladder once their business in the basement was concluded, he said, "But he will - and I fear as a menace to others. But I cannot bring myself to kill him - you were the one he attacked."

jmbrown
2014-08-04, 08:46 PM
The elven woman relaxes at Swift's words.

"Yes. These backwater hamlets hold nasty surprises. 'Few eyes watching the herd lets the wolf slip in,' I think the saying goes. My life partner and I were scouting the area when the storms left. We've got a cart a few miles back. You're welcome to stay the night and share a pig if you've got a drink or story to share. Beats camping out in this place." She frowns at the bloody mess in back.

"Name's Alessa.

Hazuki
2014-08-05, 04:04 PM
Swift smiles at the most agreeable person she's since stumbling into the church for shelter from the storm. "I'd enjoy that very much, but I feel like I would like to know something more of the group you travel with before committing to anything. One can never be too careful, especially given Ghurne and 'the rest' still haven't introduced themselves." She says, remembering the woman's call just before meeting Camaka.

Lost Soul
2014-08-06, 08:46 PM
Rashi

The time they'd spent searching had been mostly silent, but for the few words about their captive. Clearly, this seemed important to Theriss. Rashi thought back upon the mighty blow Theriss had given the little thing that had been around his neck. Theriss had saved him, not that he wouldn't have been fine on his own, but he did recognize a debt of sorts. But why would Theriss not do it herself? Why so untrue to self?

As Theriss prepared to climb the ladder, Rashi called out to her... him? Her. "Very well. I will take care of this." As you are too scared, he thought to himself.

Rashi approached the demon-child that laid there. But he saw neither demon, nor 'child.' This was a danger. A broken danger, wretched, likely not even strong enough to survive on its own cruel nature alone, now that its brothers were dead or gone. A nameless, passing wanderer had enough to worry about with the storms and beasts of wild than to add this to their plate. And so he did this favor for Theriss and the next passing wanderer. And it was done.

Coup de grace

He wiped the blood from his dagger on a rag.

-

Rashi joined the group shortly thereafter. Seeing they had company, he waited for a lull in Swift and Alessa's conversation then nodded "Rashi" as his greeting. It seemed as if Swift had finally found the chatty company she had been seeking.

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 12:33 AM
Theriss wasn't put at ease by the creature's death, and sighed again hoping his judgement was good enough. So many ways it could have played out differently - but he couldn't see anyone except maybe himself as fitting for the guilt of what happened. "I hope the survivor manages to enjoy what's left of his life, and those two find rest from the cruelty this world dealt them," Theriss mumbled as he came out from the study.

"I just want to leave this place forever, and hope next storm wipes it off the map so nobody else has to suffer..." Theriss announced as he came out of the back of the church. "Suicide sites always bring misfortune. These people deserve a proper burial, but it's not something I can do on my own."

Eventually, he broke out of his self-pity cycle, and noticed the newcomer. Cheering up, he brushed his hair back and smiled, "Oh, hey! Sorry about the mess. I'm Theriss, though I've also gone by Hotshot and Sparks," he introduced himself to Alyssa. "Paladin of the YMCA - and this place has violated everything my order tries to protect.

jmbrown
2014-08-07, 11:25 AM
Swift smiles at the most agreeable person she's since stumbling into the church for shelter from the storm. "I'd enjoy that very much, but I feel like I would like to know something more of the group you travel with before committing to anything. One can never be too careful, especially given Ghurne and 'the rest' still haven't introduced themselves." She says, remembering the woman's call just before meeting Camaka.

"Hmm, yes..s GHURNE!"

A gruff voice calls back "What?! What do you want woman, I'm busy plundering!" Hobbling up the dirt path is a dwarf. Or maybe it's a dwarf, it's hard to tell as he has no beard. His chin is lined with heavy scars. He wears a rusty suit of scale armor and clings to a magnificent axe of dwarven make. The dwarf spits at the sight of Camaka and Swift.

"Yech, more mouths to feed. I'm Ghurne and this fortunate creature is my wife. Yeah, a dwarf married to a treehugger. Ye wanna fight about it?!" Alessa slaps Ghurne on the back of the head. He looks up at her with a sheepish grin.

Swift and Theriss come up from the trap door with their arms full of stuff.

"I see y'all have a story to tell. Maybe some goodies to share, too. If you want a safe place to rest follow us and bring your appetite. Bring your stuff, too. My food and my company don't come cheap!" The dwarf throws his axe at the lounging pig killing it instantly. He grabs his axe by the shaft and heaves it over his shoulder, pig and all. Alessa and Ghurne leave.

Hazuki
2014-08-10, 10:07 AM
Swift

"I'm certainly not going to follow them." Swift says out loud, as she closes the large doors at the front of the church and retreats to the pews with Blackmore.

Sartharina
2014-08-10, 11:45 AM
Theriss, however, does! He had lots of stories to tell - and Ghurne had a really nice axe.

Lost Soul
2014-08-11, 01:47 AM
Rashi

Rashi listens intently, unsure whether he could trust Ghurne or not. He was impressed by the dwarf's skill.

Take 10, if possible.
If not: [roll0]

Either way, the prospect of potentially sharing among more than four disturbed him. He'd walked towards civilized lands to stock up, not stock down. The church's doors shut behind him as Swift walked away.

He noticed Theriss's eyes lingering on the newcomers and so and nudged him with his elbow. Rashi gazed down towards their loot and then motioned back towards the doors. "Share first." He walked into the church and deposited what he had on the floor, grabbing the signet ring for himself.

"Not a fan of pork?" he asked Swift, eyeing the ring all the while.

Hazuki
2014-08-11, 05:49 AM
Swift

"Pork has nothing to do with it. I asked them to explain more about their group and where they reside, and they did not say, or even acknowledge it. They instead attempted to distract us; which means they're hiding something." Swift informs the ringbearer.