PDA

View Full Version : Wolfbane's Arena Fight IC

UncleWolf
2014-07-09, 01:16 PM
The shouting from the is audible even in the holding cells. It was clear there was a large audience and that they were thirsting for blood. The only light in the cells was given from the glowing mold on the ceiling and the odd candle flickering pitifully in recesses in the walls. The earth floor was damp and every now and then you could make out darker spots where some unfortunate victim had made it back here only to bleed out. The Pit Overlord was the only guard down here, but the ugly brute seemed more than powerful enough to keep anyone from running off and backing out of their contracts of service.

In your case however, this was all entirely voluntary.

After all, the Pits of Agamar were well-renowned for their unique challenges and large rewards.

From what you've heard the arena is only moderately sized but shifting between each fight to incorporate new elements in each fight and to make it so no one can truly be prepared for whatever is out there. When the ground shakes and everyone stumbles slightly when the ground shifts suddenly sideways, it gives credence to the rumors.

"A'ight you sods, git movin'! Yer up next!" The Pit Overlord growls, brandishing his bladed whip towards you all as the entrance opens up to the arena.

Once through the door, the light becomes glaringly bright but after a moment of adjustment, it was apparent that it was just bright compared to before. Giant orbs of soft light float around the cave's ceiling, about 40ft above and the stands are jam-packed with spectators. In the very center is a large stalagmite of limestone, blocking the view of the opposite side.

At the top of the stands a sleazy looking man steps up to a podium, wearing a white suit and sporting a thin mustache. "Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the arena once more! Four brave volunteers have stepped forward to battle whatever our mad alchemists have devised, and I for one am quite hopeful that these four aren't as shellfish as they may appear." He says with a grin as the audience laughs with the pun. "Alright, you know the rules. Fight to the last man. You get a few moments to prepare before the other contender makes it's appearance, but that's all. Good luck, we'll be watching and ever hopeful for a good fight."

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo338/Kirbybane/baee66ac-53d4-4e56-9f3d-8edc51ba2197_zps1c4b9c55.jpg?t=1404929427

The terrible gray blob is the 10ftx10ftx10ft Stalagmite. You are all on the left hand side. The arena is 30ftx100ftx40ft(height).

The borders between the arena and the stands are massive force walls to protect them and are impenetrable. Any attempt to bypass them (or the ceiling) via teleportation or dimensional travel will result in giblets raining down upon the crowd. Don't test them, the audience brings ponchos for a reason.

The Y axis starts at A and goes through F, starting at the lower left hand corner(A1). X axis starts at 1 and goes through 20. If you go above the ground, add Z1-Z8 with Z1 being the ground.

You all start at the left wall, and have one round to prepare and move. If you don't move, say which square in column 1 you want to start in.

Aegis013
2014-07-09, 09:49 PM
Breather (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=940261) begins play in A1, he chugs down a potion of Bear's Endurance and proceeds forward to A6.

Bear's Endurance raises his constitution by 4, increasing his current hp to 73, and increasing his Fort save by 2. This also raises the DCs on his breath weapons by 2, to a DC of 20 [total of 21 including Dragon Spirit Cincture].

[roll0] Initiative

As Breather moves he pumps his arms up and down and lets out a roar, signalling to the crowd that he's ready and itching to fight.

Vhaidara
2014-07-09, 09:54 PM
Starting at B1.

Anyone need some armor? Make a wish.

If anyone makes the wish, I'll hit them with Mage Armor.
Initiative: [roll0]

Aegis013
2014-07-09, 11:14 PM
I would, since Breather has a pathetically low AC, but I don't think the difference between 11 and 15 is going to be all that much. If someone else can get a greater benefit, use it on them.

I'm think Nudist might get the best use out of it, since it will still apply in his wildshape forms, giving him pretty reasonable AC scores.

UncleWolf
2014-07-10, 10:10 AM
Aegis, I think you're confused. Or maybe I didn't word it well enough. You start somewhere along the left wall in Column 1. A1 is the bottom left corner, B1 is the square above it, C1 is the next, etc.

TheDragonmaster
2014-07-10, 10:54 AM
Nudist answers Burny McBurnerton's offer before leaning in to pat the mottled scales of Bambi Eyes's neck.

"If no one else desperately wants you, I confess I wish to feel the touch of your magic hands on my body."

Invoking the names of long-passed genius loci in a different voice entirely as he traces the branches of some imagined tree with his free hand, the druid infuses his trusty companion with the energies of the wilderness, his eyes aglow from the power coursing through him. She hisses in anticipation and straightens herself up to her full length, ending up a full two feet taller than her friend, as faint trails of misty white smoke rises from the tips of her long, sharp claws and from her tail stinger, accompanied by the acrid smell of muriatic.

The pair advances into the room as one, the fleshraker giving her restlessness away with her movements, and readies themselves for combat together as they have so many times before.

Nudist and Bambi Eyes start at F1 and E1, respectively. If it seems necessary, the druid delays his one round of preparation until after Burny McBurnerton has a chance to act. After casting Venomfire (which lasts for 3600 rounds, in case combat gets dragged-out) on Bambi Eyes, the druid and his companion move to F7 and F9, respectively.

Initiative: [roll0]

Yes, in an arena battle I am indeed writing like this, for contrast. IC is IC, OoC is OoC.

Vhaidara
2014-07-10, 11:00 AM
Dragonmaster, you need to make a wish. As in the words "I wish".

Guard
2014-07-10, 12:35 PM
May the Great Boxer in the sky shine his grace upon our victory.
Cpt. America bravely advances across the battlefield.

Cpt. America uses destruction blessing on himself, and uses 1 fervor to cast Divine Favor.
Initiative: [roll0] He ends his turn in C5.

Aegis013
2014-07-10, 02:27 PM
Aegis, I think you're confused. Or maybe I didn't word it well enough. You start somewhere along the left wall in Column 1. A1 is the bottom left corner, B1 is the square above it, C1 is the next, etc.

Yes, I was confused. I had the Letters/Numbers backwards, it should've been F1 to F6. Though that would have me occupying the same space as Nudist or Bambi Eyes at the beginning of the round, so I'm changing it to A1 to A6 unless that's unacceptable. Edited the previous post.

Vhaidara
2014-07-12, 06:11 PM
Burny rolls his eyes and casts his spell.

Mage armor to Nudist

UncleWolf
2014-07-19, 06:01 PM
Captain America and Bambi Eyes will both feel their bodies rippling just beneath their skin. At first it's just a mild tingling but it grows more and more painful, like somebody is pinching them all over, tugging their skin into a new shape. To their eyes and everyone else's, their exposed skin seems to grow, forming lumpy chitinous plates the color of bone, increasing their bulk and weight even as it toughens their hide.

Bambi Eyes and Capt America have their speeds reduced to 30ft and 15(20)ft respectively. They also gain +3 Natural Armor.

(more to come later, don't post yet)

UncleWolf
2014-07-20, 06:47 PM
You've had a funny feeling about the place ever since you stepped out onto the grounds, but it'd taken forever for you to realize what it was, and even then only until after seeing the plates forming on Bambi Eyes. Plates of armor that looked remarkably like the limestone stalagmite.

But wait.

If it was a stalagmite, where's the stalagtite that should be above it?

Even as the unsettling feeling dawns on you, adrenaline coursing through your veins, the creature hiding itself simply moves with an appalling speed.

Everyone will see the stalagmite suddenly burst open and move far faster than it should have been able to do so. There's a fleeting glimpse of eyestalks, spider like legs, and two truly massive claws half the size of a full grown man. It's easy to see why it could have been confused for limestone as the chitin appears exactly like it. Before anyone can react though, the creature steps just close enough to Mouth Breather to snap out with a large claw.

[roll0]
[roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]+[roll5]

The claw wraps around him, squeezing painfully and the Dragonborn Warforged will see intelligence behind those cold dead eyes of the creature now holding him.

You are now grappled.
You have taken 34 damage. Your DR has been accounted for.

Nudist gets to react during this surprise round as he was the only one to pass Perception Checks. Get either a Standard or Move action and a free action. Then we'll proceed to go to Normal Initiative
Burny: 18
Nudist: 14
MB: 13
Creature: 10
Capt: 9

TheDragonmaster
2014-07-21, 06:28 AM
Nudist reacts like he so often does when things suddenly go out of hand, letting the animal part of his self take over, and changes with remarkable speed into a perfect likeness of his beloved companion. With a pointing gesture and a single hissed sound, he then orders Bambi Eyes to destroy the creature alongside him.

TL;DR: Nudist Wild Shapes into a Fleshraker.

I'll add the Fleshraker form to the statblock page when I get back home in 3-4 hours as my first priority (since you might need my AC and saves (although you seem content to let us roll our own saves) before I get to act again).

I realised I haven't rolled initiative for Bambi Eyes yet. Since you haven't reminded me to do so, you may have different ideas about how animal companions act in combat, but in case you don't, here's that taken care of:

Bambi Eyes's Initiative: [roll0]

Also, I'll take my chances with the knowledge roll to see if I have at least heard of this kind of beast or of any other sharing at least some of its features.

Knowledge (Nature): [roll1]

Vhaidara
2014-07-21, 09:38 AM
Burny sees his comrade atacked by the stalagmite, and immediately hurls a flaming arrow of fire at the creature before stepping to get a better view behind the beast.
Facio, Voco, Ferre!

Cast Acid Arrow (subbed to fire) at the thing

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Touch Attack Crit Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]
And it will take 2d4 damage per turn for the next 2 turns.

5ft step down to F1

UncleWolf
2014-07-22, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately for the Ifrit, and even more so for the grappled victim, the arrow of fire misses, passing close enough to be reflected by the creature's hardened surface, but it continues past until it hits the force wall well behind it. The action is enough to earn a glare from the creature however and the Ifrit might get the feeling he just ticked it off.

TheDragonmaster
2014-07-23, 07:23 PM
Nudist, in his newly acquired form, speeds gracefully around the back of the abhorrent creature and swipes at it to draw its attention. Simultaneously Bambi Eyes leaps at the beast, consumed by her thirst for blood, screeching with glee as she slices at its plated body with claw and fang.

Assuming the simultaneous action thing still means one acts before the other, Nudist acts first, moving to A9, and attacking the creature with his claw.

Attack: [roll0]
(Confirmation: [roll1])
Damage: [roll2]
(Critical Damage: [roll3])
Injury additionally subjects the target to Poison (DC 16, 1d6 Dex/1d6 Dex)
Bambi Eyes then charges the creature, ending up in the only possible legal space to end up in. The following rolls include the bonus from charging but not that from flanking, add another +2 if the creature somehow does not have All-Around Vision (or Improved Uncanny Dodge and similar abilities).

Attack: [roll4]
(Confirmation: [roll5])
Damage: [roll6]
(Critical Damage: [roll7])
Injury additionally subjects the target to Poison (DC 16, 1d6 Dex/1d6 Dex) and to acid:
Acid Damage: [roll8]
Attack: [roll9]
(Confirmation: [roll10])
Damage: [roll11]
(Critical Damage: [roll12])
Injury additionally subjects the target to Poison (DC 16, 1d6 Dex/1d6 Dex) and to acid:
Acid Damage: [roll13]
Attack: [roll14]
(Confirmation: [roll15])
Damage: [roll16]
(Critical Damage: [roll17])
Attack: [roll18]
(Confirmation: [roll19])
Damage: [roll20]
(Critical Damage: [roll21])
Acid Damage: [roll22]
Attack: [roll23]
(Confirmation: [roll24])
Damage: [roll25]
(Critical Damage: [roll26])
I assume you roll Dexterity damage yourself in case that will be necessary, which I doubt, since the creature probably has 10+ points of DR that neither Nudist nor Bambi Eyes can overcome with physical attacks, and even if not, looks brawny enough to automatically succeed on the low Fort Save (with Steadfast Determination) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ).