PDA

View Full Version : Original System Project Roll-Play - A Universal D20 System

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-09, 04:57 PM
Well, it's been slowly simmering in the back of my mind for about three years now, and every once and awhile I go back to this project... Project Roll-Play

What is Project Roll-Play?

Project Roll-Play is an attempt to integrate the best of various versions of the D20 system to create a seamless universal game system which could be used to play anything from lowly World War II soldiers in the muck to High Fantasy campaigns, Science Fiction Campaigns, and even Comic Book Super-Heroes (As experiments I made a few stat blocks for them, lets just say that the 'gateway' talents for comic books are going to be a group that GMs should restrict and watch really closely).

Classless, how does that work?

Classes are inherently restrictive. Instead of choosing a class, a character starts by choosing five starting Feats of their own choice and a single starting Talent. Characters gain 5 hit points (plus con modifier) per level, a +1 bonus to all defenses (AC, Reflex, Fort, and Will) per level, +1 base attack bonus per level, a feat every level, and a talent every other level. Character advancement could best be described as being very similar to that of the Star Wars Saga Edition game, with the classes combined into one single class.

Most every ability a class can have, will be available through talents and feats. This also goes for monsters, whose abilities and development I intend to handle in a similar fashion. As you can imagine this means a lot of talents and feats (currently there are seven pages full of talents, and I think I'm just scratching the surface). As a result of this design, I hope to have a system that will allow you to play anything (dragons will be among the core races I intend to have on release), and rules to develop new races, talents, and feats as well as how to balance them.

Still, with any system for high customization of player characters, there will almost certainly be parts of it that will be broken, and I'll definitely want some help identify them and plugging the holes.

Wouldn't that make most characters really similar?

Not necessarily. A character can choose any five feats they want for starting feats... So you could have built a classic fighter with: Weapon Proficiency (martial weapons), Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons), Armor Proficiency (light), Armor Proficiency (medium), and Shield Proficiency -or- you could make a martial artist with: Improved Unarmed Strike, Martial Arts I, Martial Arts II, Martial Arts III, Martial Arts Training, and Weapon Proficiency (martial weapons) -or- you could make a character that's a mage that can cast silently without a single gesture: Eschew Materials, Magical Training x2, Silent Spell, and Still Spell.

Talents also can have a profound effect on how a character plays, and may allow a character to substitute one skill for another (The battledancer talent tree lets you do a lot with Perform[dance] for example).

What about magic?

Magic is available, but handled much more like how force powers were used in Saga Edition. When casting a spell, a character makes a skill check with their Use Magic skill. As a result, spells can be much more powerful when a character has put a lot more effort into their Use Magic skill... Skill Focus in Use Magic can make a huge difference in the performance of a mage. Rolling a natural 20 when you've got +10 in Use Magic can have absolutely devastating results (a fireball with a roll of 30 will deal 10d6 damage).

So far this sounds a lot like the Star Wars: Saga Edition... how is it different?

There are a large number of differences. For one, AC is a stat (it's role was replaced by Reflex in Saga Edition) giving the player four defenses (like in 4E). Additionally I really liked the Combat Maneuver System from Pathfinder and have integrated a similar system here, where combat maneuvers are unlocked through Martial Training. Additionally Martial Talents will allow you to use skills like acrobatics, athletics, and even Perform (dance) (Capoeira eh?) to grapple, trip, disarm, and otherwise maneuver against opponents.

Critical ranges are connected to the different types of equipment like in 3.5 and Pathfinder. Aiming is a sensible action that removes cover and might even provide bonus damage, like in Saga Edition. The old condition track from Saga Edition has been overhauled and divided into three separate tracks for characters (Vitality, Health, and Morale) with many of the old conditions and modifiers for fear and courage from 3.5 and Pathfinder have been replaced with a Morale track.

Some armor may even provide Armor Resistance (AR) which acts like DR/critical hits. It could also be ablative (most modern armors are only rated for a single shot). Shields give their shield bonus to AC and Reflex defense (effectively making it so they give the character a form of cover). Armor grants a bonus to AC and damage threshold, and so forth...

Okay, that sounds different... is it hard to play or understand?

Not really... just look at these stat blocks and see if you can understand them. While there is complexity, most of it comes from character creation then actually playing. What I really need is a lot of playtesters, designers, and some significant brainstorming. We're trying to make a system that handles practically everything.

Kim Hunter, MI-5 Agent CL 8
Medium level 8 human
Init +11 (can reroll); Senses Perception +11 (can reroll)
Languages English, French, Latin, Military Sign, Welsh

AC 20 (flat-footed 16); Ref 20; Fort 18; Will 19; +8 defense
HP 60; Threshold 18

Speed 6-squares
Melee unarmed +10 (1d6+6)
Ranged light pistol +11 (2d6+10 Penetrating-10, x3)
Space 1-square; Reach 1-square
Base Atk +8; CMB +10 (disarm, grapple, trip, steal); CMD 22;

Str 15, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 19, Wis 13, Cha 12
Talents Acute Senses, Improved Initiative, Trusty Sidearm, Uncanny Dodge
Feats Double Tap, Improved Unarmed Strike, Logical Thinking I, Logical Thinking II, Logical Thinking III, Martial Arts I, Martial Training, Point-Blank Shot, Strength Training I, Strength Training II, Strength Training III, Weapon Focus (pistols), Weapon Proficiency (pistols), Weapon Specialization (pistols)
Skills Appraise +13, Dipomacy +10, Deception +10, Gather Information +10, Initiative +11 (can reroll, must take second result), Intimidation +10, Investigate +13, Knowledge (civics) +13, Perception +11 (can reroll, must take second result), Sense Motive +11
Possessions Light Pistol

North American P-51D Mustang CL 16
Huge Air Vehicle (plane)
Init +11; Senses Perception +10

AC 24 (flat-footed 21); Ref 21; Fort 21; +3 armor, +10 defense, -2 size
HP 575 (325 base); DR 15; Threshold 120

Speed fly 26-squares (max velocity 700 km/h)
Ranged hexa AN/M3 machine guns +6 (see below)
Ranged bomb load +13 (see below)
Space 4-squares; Cover Total
Base Atk +10; CMB +13; CMD 25;

Str 13, Dex 16, Int -
Skills Mechanics +10, Initiative +11, Perception +10, Pilot +11
Crew 1 (average); Passengers none
Cargo 420 kg; Endurance 5 hrs; Carried Craft none
Payload 1,800 rds. of 12.7x99mm ammunition and 2x 1,000 lb. bombs
Availability Military; Cost 51,000 wealth credits

Hexa AN/M3 Machine Guns (pilot)
Atk +6 autofire, Dmg 8d12+5x2 Penetrating-75, Range 35-squares, Critical 19-20/x3, Special auto-fire only, Fire-Linked (6 guns): Deals 1 additional die per additional gun and expends 1 additional attack worth of ammunition per gun (already factored in stat block), Fast Firing (1,200 RPM): expends two times the normal ammount of ammunition on auto-fire or burst attacks and a bonus die of damage on such attacks (already factored in stat block).
Bomb Load (2 bombs, pilot)
Atk +13, Dmg 4d8+5x50 5-square burst, Range 5-squares, Critical x2, Special salvo (2 bombs): gains a +2 bonus per additional bomb to attack rolls and a bonus die of damage for every 2 the attack roll exceeds the AC to a maximum bonus die equal to the number of additional bombs (already factored in stat block).

Cormorant-class Sloop CL 26
Colossal Naval Vessel (sailing ship)
Init -5; Senses Perception +10

AC 18 (flat-footed 18); Ref 5; Fort 31; +13 armor, +10 defense, -10 size
HP 4,300 (3,300 base); DR 65; Threshold 880

Speed swim (surface only) 4-squares (max velocity 25 km/h)
Ranged battery of 24-pounder carronades +9 (see below)
Ranged battery of 12-pounder carronades +1 (see below)
Space 50-squares; Cover Total (+5 for gunners, none for deck crew)
Base Atk +10; CMB +31; CMD 36;

Str 33, Dex 1, Int -
Skills Drive -5, Mechanics +10, Initiative -5, Perception +10
Crew 125 (average); Passengers 20
Cargo 11 mT; Consumables 3 months; Carried Craft 4 whaleboats
Payload 320 rds. of 12-lb shot, 640 rds. of 24-lb shot (may carry grapeshot or chain-shot)
Availability Military; Cost Not Available for Sale

24-Pounder Carronade Battery (8 gunners)
Atk +9, Dmg 2d8+5x10 Penetrating-100, Range 10-squares, Critical x4, Special battery (8 guns): gains a +2 bonus per additional gun to attack rolls and a bonus die of damage for every 2 the attack roll exceeds the AC to a maximum bonus die equal to the number of additional guns, single shot, long reload: It takes 150 standard actions to reload this weapon (15 rounds for a full crew).
12-Pounder Carronade Battery (4 gunners)
Atk +1, Dmg 2d6+5x10 Penetrating-100, Range 10-squares, Critical x4, Special battery (4 guns): gains a +2 bonus per additional gun to attack rolls and a bonus die of damage for every 2 the attack roll exceeds the AC to a maximum bonus die equal to the number of additional guns, single shot, long reload: It takes 100 standard actions to reload this weapon (10 rounds for a full crew).

Note some of these stat blocks are really very alpha and need playtesting... especially that last one with the Age of Sail sloop.

Cool, how can I help?

Post here and help me as I go through and try and coax this project toward fruition... It's been a long time in development, but its still far from done.

Thealtruistorc
2014-07-10, 12:13 PM
Okay, this is really interesting. The idea of a universal system that allows one to cover any setting seems like a worthwhile pursuit (I particularly like the traits idea, seeing as it will allow one a lot of freedom when making a character). However, I have some questions.

1. How will talent/feat progression work? I noticed Kim (the sample character) has 15 feats and 5 talents at level 8. Also, where are you pulling these feats and talents from?

2. How will skill ranks work? I notice it has a total of +11 for perception, which implies 10 ranks at level 8, but I'm not sure of anything.

3. How much of this system will be drawn from saga? I am familiar with that game to a degree, but I have in my possession several of the books.

Thealtruistorc
2014-07-10, 12:46 PM
Also, as a thought, do you think martial arts techniques could have a system similar to magic, with the wielder making skill checks to pull off elaborate moves? (For example, make a martial arts check to perform a neck snap or roundhouse kick)

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-10, 01:45 PM
1. How will talent/feat progression work? I noticed Kim (the sample character) has 15 feats and 5 talents at level 8. Also, where are you pulling these feats and talents from?

Feats = 8 levels + 5 starting feats, + 1 bonus feat from being human - might have made an error.
Talents = 1 at 1, 2 at 3, 3 at 5, 4 at 7, + 1 bonus talent from being human

I'm pulling together Feats and Talents from various sources and reworking them to fit the system (At last count I have over 100 feats done). In addition there are a number of Feats and Talents that replace other forms of advancements. For example, instead of gaining ability points at every 4th level, certain feats increase ability scores (Strength Training I-III, Dexterity Training I-III, and so forth).

The 'gateway' talents I've made for super-hero type campaigns include things like a bonus to an ability score equal to 1/2 your level. These I will basically hang a sign on them that says: Ask your GM if these will be allowed in the campaign, as they can easily break the game outside of a comic book hero style campaign.

Although... the prefabricated Nymph race gets the Charisma gateway talent as a racial talent (hey, they're nymphs!)

2. How will skill ranks work? I notice it has a total of +11 for perception, which implies 10 ranks at level 8, but I'm not sure of anything.

The system uses the trained/untrained system that Saga Edition uses (though the skill chapter I'm working on is currently 27 pages long due to all the skills).

5 from being trained + 1/2 level + ability modifier. Looking over it... I may have made a math error. It should be +10.

3. How much of this system will be drawn from saga? I am familiar with that game to a degree, but I have in my possession several of the books.

Some of it... I mean you could do a rough approximation with Saga just by throwing the classes away and letting a character get a feat every level and talents every other level from any class.

Also, as a thought, do you think martial arts techniques could have a system similar to magic, with the wielder making skill checks to pull off elaborate moves? (For example, make a martial arts check to perform a neck snap or roundhouse kick)

Yes, as this is how I'm going to have martial arts and combat maneuvers work. Taking Martial Arts Training feat will give the character access to unique Martial Arts talents, feats, and a whole list of combat maneuvers beside the typical (overrun, grapple, etc...)

The skill used in these maneuvers will vary depending on the martial arts system chosen. For example, this is the first talent of Capoiera.

Capoiera Basics: You may use the Acrobatics skill in place of Perform (dance) checks to earn a living. In addition you may make an Acrobatics check in place of any Combat Maneuver Check (Such as to grapple, trip, or reposition an opponent).
Prerequisite: Trained in the Acrobatics skill.

Combat maneuvers are treated similarly to spells... Though there are a lot fewer of them.

Thealtruistorc
2014-07-10, 02:37 PM
Could you post some examples of races? I want to use those to create races/feats.

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-10, 03:11 PM
Sure... I'll just put out some mid sized ones since I'm wrestling with the effects of size. Most of these are classic fantasy races tweaked for the new system... except the Augment, which is genetically modified race. These are just the traits, as each race will also have a lot more details that don't effect stats.

Augment (Humanoid) Species Traits
Humanoid Augments share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +4 to two ability score modifiers of your choice, and a -4 ability modifier to an ability score of your choice, these three modifiers can stack atop each other.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Augments have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Senses: Augments are designed with improved senses for use in combat. These senses come in various forms. Please select one from this list on character creation:
• Animal Senses: Augments with this form of sensor perception gain low-light vision and the scent special ability. Augments with low-light vision ignore concealment from darkness but not total concealment.
• Blind Sense: Augments with this form of sensory perception ignore all concealment on targets within 6-squares.
• Night-vision: Augments with this form of sensory perception ignore all concealment from darkness, including total concealment. Unfortunately you treat normal light as bright light, and bright light as blinding light in exchange. Essentially this acts as Darkvision plus the Light Sensitivity flaw.
Natural Weapons: Augments may choose from these possible selections of natural weapons.
• Claws and Teeth: 2 primary claw attacks which deals 1d4 damage + strength modifier and 1 primary bite attack which deals 1d6 damage + twice strength modifier.
• Claws and Talons: 2 primary claw attacks which deals 1d4 damage + strength modifier and 2 secondary talon attacks which deals 1d4 damage + ½ strength modifier.
• Brutal Fists: 2 primary slam attacks which deal 1d8 damage + strength modifier.
Speed: Augment base speed is dependent on their design, select one of the two following traits for their base speeds.
• Aquatic: Base speed is 6-squares, and they gain a swim speed of 6-squares.
• Arboreal: Base speed is 6-squares, and they gain a climb speed of 6-squares.
• Swift: Base speed is 8-squares.
Crib Languages: None

Drow Species Traits
Drow share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, and +2 Charisma: Drow are nimble and manipulative but frail.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Drow have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Drow base speed is 6-squares.
Dark-vision: Drow ignore concealment from darkness including total concealment.
Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds a Drow for 1 round. An opponent in bright light gains total concealment from a Drow, instead of just concealment.
Drow Immunities: Drow are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial bonus to defenses against enchantments.
Spell Resistance: When a spellcaster attempts to use a spell against a Drow the DC for activating the spell increases by ½ the Drow’s level (rounded down, minimum 1).
Spell-Like Abilities: A drow can make a charisma check to cast the spells dancing lights, darkness, and faerie fire. A drow is always considered trained in those spells.
Crib Languages: Elven or Undercommon.

Dwarven Species Traits
Dwarves share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, and -2 Charisma: Dwarves are hardy and wise but rather gruff and direct.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Dwarf base speed is 4-squares.
Dark-vision: Dwarves ignore concealment from darkness including total concealment.
Bonus Talent: Dwarves gain the Juggernaut Talent as a bonus talent at first level even if they do not meet the prerequisites.
Bonus Feat: Dwarves receive the Great Fortitude feat as a bonus feat at first level even if they do not meet the prerequisites.
Crib Languages: Dwarven.

Elven Species Traits
Elves share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, and +2 Intelligence: Elves are nimble and intelligent but frail.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Elf base speed is 6-squares.
Low-Light vision: Elves ignore concealment from darkness but not total concealment.
Elven Immunities: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial bonus to defenses against enchantments.
Keen Senses: Elves can reroll any perception check, the result of the reroll must be taken even if it’s lower.
Crib Languages: Elven.

Half-Elf Species Traits
Half-Elves share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +2 to an ability score of your choice.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Half-elf base speed is 6-squares.
Low-Light vision: Half-elves ignore concealment from darkness but not total concealment.
Keen Senses: Half-elves can reroll any perception check, the result of the reroll must be taken even if it’s lower.
Bonus Feat: Half-elves gain Skill Focus at 1st level.
Crib Languages: Various (English, German, Norse...)

Hobgoblin Species Traits
Hobgoblins share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +2 Dexterity and +2 Constitution: Hogoblins are hardy and dexterous.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Hobgoblins have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Dark-vision: Hobgoblins ignore concealment from darkness including total concealment.
Speed: Hobgoblin base speed is 6-squares.
Conditional Bonus Feat: A Hobgoblin trained in the Stealth skill gains Skill Focus (Stealth) as a bonus feat.
Crib Languages: Common or Goblin.

Human Species Traits
Humans share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +2 to an ability score of your choice.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Human base speed is 6-squares.
Bonus Trained Skill: Humans are highly adaptable and often proficient in a wide variety of skills. A Human character chooses one additional trained skill at 1st level.
Bonus Feat: Humans gain one bonus feat at 1st level.
Bonus Talent: Humans gain one bonus talent at 1st level.
Crib Languages: Various (English, German, Norse...)

Nymph Species Traits
Nymphs share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, and +4 Charisma: Nymphs are charismatic and manipulative but weak and frail.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Nymphs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Nymph base speed is 6-squares.
Always Female: There are no males of this species, all members are exclusively female.
Ageless: Nymphs are immune to the penalties of advanced age. They do not take the penalty to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution from old age.
Enhanced Ability (Charisma): A Nymph grows more beautiful and manipulative as they age. A Nymph gains the Enhanced Ability (Charisma) as a bonus Talent even if they lack the prerequisites.
Crib Languages: Auran.

Orc Species Traits
Orcs share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, and -2 Charisma: Orcs are strong but dumb, ignorant, and gruff.
Medium Size: As medium creatures, Orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Dark-vision: Orcs ignore concealment from darkness including total concealment.
Light Sensitivity: Creatures in normal lighting gain concealment from Orcs and creatures in bright light gain total concealment from Orcs.
Speed: Orc base speed is 6-squares.
Bonus Talents: At 1st Level an Orc gains the Ferocity and Berserker Rage Talents even if they do not meet the prerequisites.
Crib Languages: Common or Orc.

I will have to ask for some comment, I've had a lot of trouble trying to balance sizes because I'd really like to make sizes have big repercussions for hit points and damage output. Right now I'm thinking of doing this for sizes...

Awesome Size: As awesome creatures, ***** gain a +20 bonus to CMB and CMD, and attack and armor class bonuses are reduced to +1 every 50 levels. Their natural weapons and weapons sized for their bodies deal x50 normal damage and they have a x50 size modifier to their Damage Threshold and Hit Points. They take a -100 penalty to Stealth checks.

Colossal Size: As colossal creatures, ***** gain a +10 bonus to CMB and CMD, and attack and armor class bonuses are reduced to +1 every 20 levels. Their natural weapons and weapons sized for their bodies deal x20 normal damage and they have a x20 size modifier to their Damage Threshold and Hit Points. They take a -50 penalty to Stealth checks.

Gargantuan Size: As gargantuan creatures, ***** gain a +5 bonus to CMB and CMD, and attack and armor class bonuses are reduced to +1 every 10 levels. Their natural weapons and weapons sized for their bodies deal x10 normal damage and they have a x10 size modifier to their Damage Threshold and Hit Points. They take a -20 penalty to Stealth checks.

Huge Size: As huge creatures, ***** gain a +2 bonus to CMB and CMD, and attack and armor class bonuses are reduced to +1 every 5 levels. Their natural weapons and weapons sized for their bodies deal x5 normal damage and they have a x5 size modifier to their Damage Threshold and Hit Points. They take a -10 penalty to Stealth checks.

Large Size: As large creatures, ***** gain a +1 bonus to CMB and CMD, and attack and armor class bonuses are reduced to +1 every 2 levels. Their natural weapons and weapons sized for their bodies deal x2 normal damage and they have a x2 size modifier to their Damage Threshold and Hit Points. They take a -5 penalty to Stealth checks.

Small Size: As small creatures, ***** gain a +5 bonus to stealth checks, -1 penalty to CMB and CMD, and a +1 bonus to attack rolls and armor class per level. Their natural weapons and weapons sized for their bodies deal /2 their normal damage and they have a /2 size modifier to their Hitpoints and Damage Threshold.

Tiny Size: As tiny creatures, ***** have a /5 modifier to damage, hitpoints, and damage threshold, a -2 penalty to CMB and CMD, a +2 bonus to attack rolls and AC per level, and a +10 bonus to Stealth checks.

Diminutive Size: As diminutive creatures, ***** have a /10 modifier to damage, hitpoints, and damage threshold, a -5 penalty to CMB and CMD, a +5 bonus to attack rolls and AC per level, and a +20 bonus to Stealth checks.

Fine Size: As diminutive creatures, ***** have a /20 modifier to damage, hitpoints, and damage threshold, a -10 penalty to CMB and CMD, a +10 bonus to attack rolls and AC per level, and a +50 bonus to Stealth checks.

Miniscule Size: As miniscule creatures, ***** have a /50 modifier to damage, hitpoints, and damage threshold, a -20 penalty to CMB and CMD, a +20 bonus to attack rolls and AC per level, and a +100 bonus to Stealth checks.

I don't know... I'm trying to make the size penalties and benefits realistic without completely making it game breaking. I mean, someone should be able to drop kick a 10-15 lb kobold and do pretty major damage. The way this is setup, it feels right and really will encourage people to stay within the small - medium - large categories for adventuring at least.

Thealtruistorc
2014-07-10, 05:19 PM
^Good, good. I suppose that seems like a flexible enough setup. My only issue is the fact that humans seem rather powerful. They are already among the best races in 3.5 and pathfinder, and the addition of an extra talent on top of the pathfinder human seems too strong in comparison to what most of the other races get. I propose that you should be able to select between a bonus feat or talent. Or, even better, have a talent that grants the user a bonus feat.

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-10, 05:41 PM
Honestly I'm still very uncertain with the size modifiers... I like the multipliers for hit points, damage, and threshold for size as they make it very easy to say... Oh, that's a large claw attack so it's 1d6x2 and mostly standardize the sort of damage natural weapons deal... but the size modifier to attack bonus and AC per level is one I really don't like.

I think I'll drop it back to standard penalties and bonuses on attacks and AC (+1 for small size AC and attacks for example). As for sizing... these are the size categories I've settled on for the most part and some examples of creatures, ships, and objects of that scale. I suppose you could also add more size categories, but after awhile it just gets ridiculous.

Awesome (battleship) - Approximately 5,250 to 11,250 meters at the longest dimension, still smaller then a Super Star Destroyer in Star Wars.
Awesome (cruiser) - Approximately 2,250 to 5,250 meters at the longest dimension, size of Home One in Star Wars.
Awesome (frigate) - Approximately 1,125 to 2,250 meters at the longest dimension, size of an Imperial Star Destroyer in Star Wars.
Awesome - Approximately 525 to 1,125 meters at the longest dimension, starting size of capital ships in most space operas.
Colossal (battleship) - Approximately 225 to 525 meters at the longest dimension, size of a Nebulon B Frigate, world war II battleship or modern aircraft carrier.
Colossal (cruiser) - Approximately 115 to 225 meters at the longest dimension, size of a corellian corvette, world war II escort carrier or cruiser.
Colossal (frigate) - Approximately 55 to 115 meters at the longest dimension, size of a world war II destroyer.
Colossal - Approximately 25 to 55 meters at the longest dimension, size of a commercial airliner or coast guard cutter.
Gargantuan - Approximately 11 to 25 meter at the longest dimension, size of a large plane or small boat.
Huge - Approximately 5.5 to 11 meters at the longest dimension, size of a large car, small plane, tank, and most adult dragons.
Large - Approximately 2.5 to 5.5 meters at the longest dimension, size of a small car or jeep, most towed artillery pieces, horses, and giant races.
Medium - Approximately 1.1 to 2.5 meters at the longest dimension, average size for most playable creatures.
Small - Approximately 110 cm to 55 cm at the longest dimension, size of kobolds, halflings, and other short races.
Tiny - Approximately 25 to 55 cm at the longest dimension
Diminutive - Approximately 10 to 25 cm at the longest dimension
Fine - Approximately 55 to 100 mm at the longest dimension
Miniscule - Less than 55 mm long at the longest dimension

Edit:

Humans are troublesome, though I'm tempted to add more talents to the other species to compensate... You might be amused to hear that my section on 'Allies and Opponents' includes racial information for things like dogs, dinosaurs, cats, whales, and so forth... so that their stats aren't fixed and they too can level.

My races chapter is actually entitled 'Races and Species' since it'll span both fantasy races and aliens ultimately... this is what a 'complete' race will look like in the book.

Kobolds
Often times considered the canon-fodder of low-level dungeons, Kobolds are an irritant to most people. Combining a reptilian or draconic appearance with small size, these conniving little creatures are easily underestimated when played to their strengths.
Anatomy: Kobolds are warm-blooded reptiles capable of processing almost anything as sustenance including rocks, gravel, and charcoal. Each has an average height of a mere 0.8 meters and an average weight of between 4-6 kilograms. Their bodies are covered with scales of various colors often matching the local dragon population and can vary from bright and cheery colors to dark browns and blacks that aid in concealment. Eye coloration is similarly varied and will often compliment or match the coloration of the rest of their bodies. Like most reptilian species Kobolds are not significantly sexually dimorphic to easily be recognized as male or female at a glance.
Biochemistry: Organic, Carbon-based. As carbon-based organics Kobolods consume carbon-based foods primarily.
Diet: Kobolds are capable of processing almost all known forms of organic material including rocks and other basic minerals. Their preferred diet includes a majority of underground sources such as rats, beetles, fish, and fungi.
Habitat: Kobolds are capable of living in almost any habitat from frozen wastes to deserts and jungles, due to their tendency to be hated by more ‘civilized’ species they prefer areas of seclusion such as deep deserts, thick forests, and the deep underground.
Psychology: Kobold psychology tends toward the extroverted and self-sacrificing. Violent reactions to other species is common due to constant competition for resources and the dim view most races hold for kobolds. Coupled with a focus on tribe over self and war becomes an all too common and bloody occurrence.
Sociology: Kobold culture is focused primarily on group and community over self. Personal possessions are rare and pursuit of self-interest is generally frowned upon. Common social organizations for kobolds include theocracies, fascism, communism, and tribalism. Those with more draconic blood are celebrated.

Playing as a Kobold:
Playing one of these small and often underrated creatures can be quite a challenge. It is best to play to your character’s strengths. Being small dramatically lowers your usefulness with normal weapons and makes it so you don’t last long in a hack and slash environment. Playing a stealthy, magical, or utility character is probably the best role to take. Kobolds are all but optimized for the stealthy scout role and their abilities with traps make them a godsend if you’re hunkering down for an attack or laying an ambush.

Fighting Kobolds:
Kobolds are a common enemy for the novice adventurer in most setting. Being small makes them inherently less dangerous than the heroes in actual combat.

However, a proper kobold encounter is not complete without a plethora of traps. Pursuing them into their underground lair will lead to an encounter where you will face traps backed by kobolds engaging you from a distance, and it isn’t unusual for kobolds to employ thrown explosives and or acid. Additionally their stealthy nature and ability to see in the dark can make them more dangerous if you’re denied a light source to use.

Ideally the use of bright lights from magical or chemical sources should be used to dazzle the enemy and deny them the benefit of darkness. Adventurers should proceed cautiously to detect and eliminate traps.

Kobold Species Traits
Kobolds share the following species traits:
Ability Modifiers: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con.
Small Size: As small creatures, Kobolds gain a +5 bonus to stealth checks, -1 penalty to CMB and CMD, and a +1 size bonus to attack rolls and armor class. Their natural weapons and weapons sized for their bodies deal only /2 damage and they have a /2 size modifier to their Hitpoints and Damage Threshold.
Speed: Kobold base speed is 6-squares.
Dark-vision: Kobolds ignore concealment from darkness including total concealment.
Light Sensitivity: Creatures in Light gain concealment from Kobolds and creatures in Bright Light gain total concealment from Kobolds.
Natural Armor: Kobolds have a tough hide that grants a +1 natural armor bonus to AC.
Natural Weapons: Kobolds have two primary claw attacks that deal 1d6 points of slashing damage plus Strength bonus, and a secondary bite attack that deals 1d6 points of piercing damage plus 1/2 Strength bonus before size modifiers.
Shifty: Once per round a kobold may move 1-square as a swift action or immediate reaction. This movement does not incur an Attack of Opportunity.
Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Stealth), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
Conditional Bonus Feat: Kobolds that are trained in the Stealth skill gain Skill Focus (Stealth) as a bonus feat.
Crib Languages: Draconic

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-10, 11:00 PM
I've posted up parts of the current build for the Core Rulebook on Google Drive. You can find them here: Google Drive Folder (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzru5WdDJskFM3pSQXg0UnZoSEE&usp=sharing)

Currently released: Chapters 1-6 in their partially completed form, Chapter 8 in its partially completed form. the equipment tables for Chapter 10, Chapter 11 in its partially completed form, and Chapter 15 in its partially completed form. Also included are JPEGs of my first attempt at character sheets for this system.

I have not yet included level XP requirements, the morality/legality points system for tracking alignment, the martial arts and combat maneuver system, game mastering, hazards, or done a very through copyedit or editing pass so parts definitely need improvement, but your comments are certainly welcome.

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-12, 03:06 PM
*Bumps*

Here's some information on stuff I'm working on... I'm trying to come up with standard information for some things, and expanding the vehicle rules to include static structures as well (one rule set to rule them all, eh?). To start off, here are the current stats I have for some rather... classic aircraft for any modern campaign. The MiG fighter plane.

Each example I'm listing represents one of the four generations of MiGs (using the generation system that military analysts have termed for the development of jet planes). The stat blocks are laid out about the same as they are laid out in Star Wars Saga Edition. Most modern vehicles have an Int score, which represents any onboard computer. This score can give a bonus to attack rolls with all mounted weapons, or only one or two weapons (the F-86 had a lead computing gunsight, but that didn't help for bombs).

Each vehicle has a 'base' number to it's hitpoints... The pilot or crew gives the vehicle bonus hitpoints equal to 5 times the crew's level times the size modifier of the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle gains a +1 bonus to all defenses and armor class per level of its crew. Vehicles don't have a will defense, as attacking a vehicles morale is an attack on the crew's morale... so the will defense of a vehicle will always equal that of it's crew members.

Dexterity and strength are calculated out based on their real world statistics... I'll provide the calculation in the final set of rules so that anyone can import any plane, ship, or car they want if they're willing to go through the time to make it. Dexterity is based roughly around power to weight ratios... which has had an interesting and realistic result when it comes to the difference between propeller craft and jets (props tend to have better dex scores, which is accurate to their performance curves).

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15bis “Fagot” CL 16
Huge Air Vehicle (plane)
Init +5; Senses Perception +10
Defenses AC 18 (18 flat-footed); Ref 15; Fort 22; +3 armor, +10 defense, -2 size
hp 600 (350 base); DR 15; Threshold 125
Speed fly 32-squares (max velocity 1,075 km/h)
Ranged N-37 37mm cannon +0 (see below) or
Ranged dual NR-23 23mm cannons +0 (see below)
Fighting Space 4-squares; Cover Total
BaB +10, CMB +14, CMD 21;
Abilities Str 14, Dex 5, Int -
Skills Mechanics +10, Initiative +5, Perception +10, Pilot +5
Cargo 490 kg; Endurance 2 hrs.; Carried Craft none
Payload 160 rds. 23x115mm ammunition, 40 rds 37x198mm ammunition, 200 kg of bombs

N-37 37mm Cannon (pilot)
Atk +0 autofire, Dmg 2d10+5x5 Penetrating-100, Range 36-squares, Critical x3, Special auto-fire only.
Dual NR-23 23mm Cannon (pilot)
Atk +0 autofire, Dmg 3d6+5x5 Penetrating-100, Range 36-squares, Critical x3, Special auto-fire only, Fire-Linked (2 guns): Deals 1 additional die per additional gun and expends 1 additional attack worth of
ammunition per gun (already factored in stat block).
Bomb Load (2 bombs, pilot)
Atk +7, Dmg 4d4+5x50 4-square burst, Range 5-squares, Critical x2, Special salvo (2 bombs): gains a +2 bonus per additional bomb to attack rolls and a bonus die of damage for every 2 the attack rolls exceeds the armor class to a maximum bonus die equal to the number of additional bombs (already factored in stat block).

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21F “Fishbed” CL 18
Gargantuan Air Vehicle (plane)
Init +2; Senses Perception +10
Defenses AC 17 (17 flat-footed); Ref 12; Fort 19; +5 armor, +10 defense, -5 size
hp 950 (450 base); DR 25; Threshold 240
Speed fly 47-squares (max velocity 2,228 km/h)
Ranged AA-8 “Aphid” missile +4 (see below) or
Ranged GSh-23L cannon -1 (see below)
BaB +10, CMB +14, CMD 21;
Abilities Str 9, Dex 5, Int 14
Skills Mechanics +10, Initiative +2, Perception +10, Pilot +2, Use Computer +12
Cargo 405 kg; Endurance 1 hr.; Carried Craft none
Payload 200 rds. 23x115mm ammunition, 4x R-60 AA-8 “Aphid” missiles.
Availability Military; Cost 2,250,000 wealth credits

AA-8 “Aphid” Air-to-Air Missile (pilot)
Atk +4, Dmg 4d10+5x10 3-square burst, Range 32-squares, Critical x2
GSh-23L Cannon (pilot)
Atk -1 autofire, Dmg 7d8+5x5 Penetrating-100, Range 36-squares, Critical x3, Special auto-fire only, Fast Firing (3,600 RPM): expends six times the normal amount of ammunition on auto-fire or burst attacks and five bonus die of damage on such attacks (already factored in stat block).

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23MLD “Flogger-K” CL 19
Defenses AC 18 (18 flat-footed); Ref 12; Fort 21; +6 armor, +10 defense, -5 size
hp 1,150 (650 base); DR 30; Threshold 240
Speed fly 49-squares (max velocity 2,445 km/h)
Ranged AA-7 “Apex” missile +5 (see below) or
Ranged AA-8 “Aphid” missile +5(see below) or
Ranged GSh-23L cannon +0 (see below)
BaB +10, CMB +16, CMD 23;
Abilities Str 13, Dex 4, Int 17
Skills Mechanics +10, Initiative +2, Perception +10, Pilot +2, Use Computer +12
Cargo 845 kg; Endurance 1 hr.; Carried Craft none
Payload 240 rds. 23x115mm ammunition, 4x R-24R AA-7 “Apex” missiles, and 4x R-60 AA-8 “Aphid” missiles.
Availability Military; Cost 5,100,000 wealth credits

AA-7 “Apex” Air-to-Air Missile (pilot)
Atk +4, Dmg 4d12+5x20 12-square burst, Range 82-squares, Critical x2
AA-8 “Aphid” Air-to-Air Missile (pilot)
Atk +4, Dmg 4d10+5x10 3-square burst, Range 32-squares, Critical x2
GSh-23L Cannon (pilot)
Atk +0 autofire, Dmg 7d8+5x5 Penetrating-100, Range 36-squares, Critical x3, Special auto-fire only, Fast Firing (3,600 RPM): expends six times the normal amount of ammunition on auto-fire or burst attacks and five bonus die of damage on such attacks (already factored in stat block).

Mikoyan MiG-29 “Fulcrum” CL 19
Defenses AC 18 (18 flat-footed); Ref 12; Fort 20; +6 armor, +10 defense, -5 size
hp 1,000 (500 base); DR 30; Threshold 260
Speed fly 48-squares (max velocity 2,400 km/h)
Ranged AA-10 “Alamo” missile +6 (see below) or
Ranged AA-12 “Adder” missiles +6 (see below) or
Ranged AA-11 “Archer” missiles +6 (see below) or
Ranged GSh-30-1 cannon +1 (see below)
BaB +10, CMB +15, CMD 22;
Abilities Str 10, Dex 4, Int 19
Skills Mechanics +10, Initiative +2, Perception +10, Pilot +2, Use Computer +14
Cargo 500 kg; Endurance 2 hrs.; Carried Craft none
Payload 150 rds. 30x165mm ammunition,
Availability Military; Cost 29,000,000 wealth credits

AA-10 “Alamo” Air-to-Air Missile (pilot)
Atk +6, Dmg 4d4+5x50 4-square burst, Range 100-squares, Critical x2
AA-12 “Adder” Air-to-Air Missile (pilot)
Atk +6, Dmg 4d10+5x20 4-square burst, Range 80-squares, Critical x2
AA-11 “Archer” Air-to-Air Missile (pilot)
Atk +6, Dmg 4d6+5x20 3-square burst, Range 50-squares, Critical x2
GSh-30-1 Cannon (pilot)
Atk +1 autofire, Dmg 4d10+5x5 Penetrating-100, Range 35-squares, Critical 19-20/x3, Special auto-fire only, Fast Firing (1,800 RPM): expends three times the normal amount of ammunition on auto-fire or burst attacks and two bonus die of damage on such attacks (already factored in stat block).

If you looked at the start I've made on the weapons table in the goggle drive posting, you'll have probably noticed that I've tried to keep the different firearms from acting all the same. One of the ways I've done this is changed up the critical range and multiplier on the various weapons. Basically, proportionally larger bullets have a larger critical multiplier (x3 or x4), while proportionally faster bullet have a larger critical threat range (18-20 or 19-20) due to their tendency to wander and tumble on striking a target. Your average hunting rifle therefore tends to have a 19-20/x3... Your .45 caliber pistol a x4... and your M16 rifle an 18-20/x2...

It seems to make sense to me and keep them from all being the same.

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-22, 04:20 PM
*Bumps* No activity or commentary at all? :smallfrown:

Maybe if I share how I stat some things like vehicles so you can consider getting involved and maybe even stat vehicles of your own.

As you no doubt noticed, vehicles have a Strength Score, a Dexterity Score, and may have an Intelligence Score. I say may have an intelligence score because the Int Score defines the capabilities of any onboard computer or similar device and apply bonuses to attack rolls for example to simulate things like lead computing gun-sights and so forth.

Now... lets stat a vehicle and I'll show you how I determine these scores. Lets make stats for a... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190 (Fw 190 A-8)

Now, the first step is to determine it's size... as longest dimension of the Fw-190 A-8 is 10.51 meters, the craft is at the upper end of the 'Huge' size classification in the current system.

Huge size (-2 size modifier, 5x hit-point multiplier, and an additional +1 armor bonus per 200 hit points.)

Now the next step is to determine it's structural strength, which I generally see as being a factor of the vehicle's weight. To determine the strength score, I use this calculation.

Strength Score = Square Root of (Vehicle's weight in kilos)/Hit-Point multiplier for size.

For an Fw 190 A-8, this gives me a Strength Score of around 11... I multiple the strength score x5 to get the basic hit-points for the vehicle (55) and then multiply it by the hit-point multiplier from it's size (275 hit points). The strength modifier is applied to the vehicle's fortitude defense (10 + 0 = 10).

275 hit points gives the craft +1 armor bonus, plus +2 from being huge (to compensate for the size modifier), thus giving the plane +3 armor bonus. Armor bonus * 5 = the vehicle's Damage Reduction. Damage Threshold = Fort Defense + Armor Bonus * Size modifier... so its 65.

So... What have we got so far?

AC = 11 (+3 armor, -2 size), Ref ??, Fort 10
275 HP; DR 15; Threshold 65

Str 11, Dex ??, Int ??

Now we need to determine vehicle dexterity. The way I calculate it, the dex is a basically determined by a vehicles power to weight ratio. I know this can be problematic, but the results seem to be roughly in line with historic statements about the planes and vehicles.

The calculation is thus...

Dexterity Score = Square Root (Engine Power in watts/Vehicle Weight in kg)

In the case of this plane it's...

Square Root of (1,250,000 watts/3,200 kg) = Dex 19.7642...

So we round it up to 20, so the Focke-Wulf 190 has a Dexterity of 20. This gives the plane a +5 dexterity bonus to Reflex Defense and Armor Class... As the Focke-Wulf has no computer onboard, it has no Int score. So what's the stats look like now?

AC = 16 (+3 armor, +5 dex, -2 size), Ref 13 (+5 dex, -2 size), Fort 10
275 HP; DR 15; Threshold 65

Str 11, Dex 20, Int -

Speed in squares is calculated as the square root of the top speed in km/h. This gives us 26-squares a round, and the max velocity is also included for when a plane is going flat out and would rapidly move through a battle area.

From these basic states you can extrapolate most everything else (except weapons, that's a bit different and I'll talk about that later). You select a pilot of X level and give a +1 BAB and Defense bonus to all stats per pilot level... I do have pilot/crew templates that I'll share soon.

Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8 CL 16
Huge Air Vehicle (plane)
Init +15; Senses Perception +10
Defenses AC 26 (21 flat-footed); Ref 23; Fort 20; +3 armor, +10 defense, -2 size
hp 525 (275 base); DR 15; Threshold 115
Speed fly 26-squares (max velocity 656 km/h)
Ranged quad MG 151/20 20mm cannons +8 (see below)
Ranged dual MG 131 machine guns +8 (see below)
Fighting Space 3-squares; Cover Total
BaB +10, CMB +12, CMD 27;
Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Int -
Skills Mechanics +10, Initiative +15, Perception +10, Pilot +15
Cargo 300 kg; Consumables 2 hrs; Carried Craft none
Payload 780 rds. of 20x82mm ammunition, 950 rds. of 13x64mm ammunition

Quad MG 151/20 20mm Cannon (pilot)
Atk +8 autofire, Dmg 5d4+5x5 Penetrating-50, Range 23-squares, Critical x3, Special auto-fire only, Fire-Linked (4 guns): Deals 1 additional die per additional gun and expends 1 additional attack worth of ammunition per gun (already factored in stat block).
Dual MG 131 Machine Guns (pilot)
Atk +8 autofire, Dmg 3d8+5x2 Penetrating-50, Range 35-squares, Critical x3, Special auto-fire only, Fire-Linked (2 guns): Deals 1 additional die per additional gun and expends 1 additional attack worth of ammunition per gun (already factored in stat block).

Stellar_Magic
2014-08-07, 02:25 PM
*Bumps* Still nothing, I'd hoped for at least some sort of talk or commentary.

Anyway... I'm still working on this, and one thing that suddenly occurred to me is how to hand range increments...

Those of you that didn't play Saga Edition probably aren't aware, but range is handled pretty differently then it is in other games there. Instead of the usual range increment = -2 penalty per increment, range for weapons was divided into Point-Blank, Short, Medium, and Long ranges... With a -0, -2, -5, and -10 penalty for each.

I've been wrestling with this somewhat... trying to decide to use range increments or that system for this project. One of the issues is that one of the very real factors in combat is muzzle velocities effect on hit probability. Since weapon muzzle velocities reached around 800-900 m/sec in the later 19th century, actual combat effective range for soldiers shooting at each other has settled around 100 meters, with maximum effective ranges being around 400 meters.

Why?

Well, its because people tend to move around in combat. An aware combatant can move in an unpredictable fashion and thus make the rounds miss when given as little as a 1-2 tenths of a second of warning. Mechanically, this is the function of a dodge bonus from dexterity.

If I use range increments, to be realistic I'd probably have to say that firing a weapon at a target within one range increment denies them their dodge bonus. To keep it from being instant death, I'd probably require that to be only the case if you use the aim action. This gives most modern rifles a range increment of around 85-squares (1.5 meters per square), or a point-blank range of 85-squares.

I may go with the saga edition system so that max range can be more in line with actual max range, while point blank range is determined more by weapon muzzle velocity.

A crossbow has a muzzle around 70-80 m/s so it's point blank range would be around 7-squares.

Here are a couple real weapons and their ranges using the Saga Edition system. These show the difference in weapon performance that you'll commonly see with this system. These values are derived from lethal range, effective range, and muzzle velocity. The results make weapons behave quite different from each other.

AK-47 Assault Rifle
Point Blank: 1-70 squares, Short: 71-170 squares, Medium: 171-630 squares, Long: 631-1000 squares

Brown Bess Musket
Point Blank: 1-30 squares, Short: 31-50 squares, Medium: 51-80 squares, Long: 81-120 squares

English Longbow
Point Blank: 1-6 squares, Short: 7-71 squares, Medium: 72-174 squares, Long: 175-210 squares

M16 Assault Rifle
Point Blank: 1-90 squares, Short: 91-230 squares, Medium: 231-480 squares, Long: 481-600 squares

Mauser 98k
Point Blank: 1-90 squares, Short: 91-210 squares, Medium: 211-1730 squares, Long: 1731-3130 squares

CombatOwl
2014-08-07, 07:08 PM
Okay, this is really interesting. The idea of a universal system that allows one to cover any setting seems like a worthwhile pursuit

You can't swing a cat in this industry without hitting a universal system. There's a lot of great ones out there. And a lot of terrible ones too. This feels a lot like d20 modern or saga edition with less role protection because of the universal talent list.

Stellar_Magic
2014-08-07, 08:42 PM
I've seen a lot of systems that call themselves 'universal' too... but most of them are overly complex monstrosities that still pigeon hole people into roles.

I understand that, and that's partly why I'm very intentional in the decision to do away with role protection. A lot of RPGs have an excessive focus on roles... Healer, Controller, Tank, Striker, and what have you. This basically dictates play styles, to a lesser or greater extant. Instead this system is setup to give you essentially a choice between being a Generalist and a Specialist.

D20 modern tried to tone back the roles, but essentially the basic hero types were 'roles', and if I'm honest the most fun campaigns I've ever run or been in have been campaigns where we took the whole idea of roles and threw them out the window. Characters are characters, and you should build them as characters... etc.

If you want to play a dancer that summons flames through the power of her dance moves... you can do that. If you want to play an enterprising space captain in the 23rd century, you can do that too. Hell, the way I built the rules for creatures... You could play a fox in a campaign if you really wanted to.

Still this system is going to need a lot of fine tuning and I'm still trying to make up my mind over some of the design ideas. Hence my discussion of ranges and range increments. If I decide against range increments, I'll have to change some of what I've written earlier for vehicles weapons and so forth...

A lot of this is an outgrowth/evolution of a bare bones homebrew RPG I made to run a Black Lagoon style campaign, where we had everything from a thai kick boxer, a thrillseeker, an aussie sniper with a sharps rifle, and... well, the villain was a guy that used a PTRD anti-tank rifle from World War II as a sniper rifle.

Best moment ever was when the Aussie blew up a Vietnamese Torpedo boat by shooting the tube from about 1/2 a mile away.

Admittedly, this system will be likely to be fairly easy for a munchkin to abuse because of its design. Anytime you make a 'universal' system it tends to be more vulnerable to certain things. Doubly so if you have a flaw/drawback/fault system.

Overall I'm hoping that when its all said and done it'd be something anyone that had played DnD, D20 modern, Saga Edition, or Pathfinder could pick up and play without a problem... I'm still a ways from that point and I've got some design decisions to think about still, but ultimately I hope it will work out that way.