PDA

View Full Version : Stop yelling at me

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 05:30 PM
Go away...

PinkysBrain
2014-07-09, 05:50 PM
Could you take a picture of the title page? :)

Multiclassing, how does it work?

Chaosvii7
2014-07-09, 05:53 PM
Multiclassing, how does it work?

I don't know if you have any of the playtest packets, but a less NDA-bending question is did it change excessively from the final playtest - yes or no?

PracticalM
2014-07-09, 05:57 PM
Can you list the sub-classes available. Specifically for Druid and Paladin but I'd take them all if you have time.

A comparison from the playtest bard to the PHB bard would also be of interest.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-09, 05:59 PM
I don't know if you have any of the playtest packets, but a less NDA-bending question is did it change excessively from the final playtest - yes or no?

They said they signed no NDA, so I wouldn't worry about that.

All I'm really curious about is what the other Martial Archetypes for Fighter are and a quick overview of them. How WotC handles their martials is a bigger point to me than anything else.

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 06:01 PM
I don't know how multiclassing worked in the playtest, but it's sort of like 3.5 where each level you choose what class you want to take your level in, but each class has stat requirements in order to multiclass in it (like Monk is 13 dex and 13wis). Everything like prof bonuses and spell slots is based on total char level, and you only get limited proficiency for multiclassing. Seems to me like Fighter 2 is almost mandatory multiclass for Action Surge on anyone without spells.

Chaosvii7
2014-07-09, 06:01 PM
No NDA?

A comparison from the playtest bard to the PHB bard would also be of interest.

Please?

I need to milk this to know if I want to use final playtest Bard in my games or not.

PiggDaddy
2014-07-09, 06:02 PM
Is their a thug or bandit like rogue archetype that allows for strength based rogue builds?

archaeo
2014-07-09, 06:07 PM
Something, something, pics or it didn't happen.

If it is true, then e-mail or PM the manager of a site like the Escapist, EN World, RPG.net, or the like and leak the content in a more open place, imo, or at least someplace a little less obscure than a subforum on a webcomic's website. Though I'm sure we'll all be delighted to have our questions answered.

Mine: in your opinion, is the PHB written and laid out in a style that will engage new players and/or entice lapsed players or older-edition adherents? Beyond being "good looking," is it well written? While it's the advanced option, is it still highly usable?

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 06:11 PM
So the term sub-class is never used at all in the book, but I assume you mean the features like fighter archetypes, cleric domains, or warlock pacts. I just think of them as archetypes because of Pathfinder.
Fighters have three- Champion gives expanded crit range and some other passive bonuses, it's quite boring, but I assume this is to appeal to the traditional fighter types who like to just move+attack. Battle Master gets to choose 2-5 maneuvers (depending on level) from a list and can use 3-5 of them per short rest. They all involve rolling a die and do things like on hit, roll a d8, add it to damage, and make the target save or fall prone. Eldritch Knight gets 4th level casting from the wizard list, but only abjuration or evocation.

Druid gets circles as their archetypes, one gives more spells known and some spell recovery, the other boosts wild shape and gives elemental wild shape.

Bards are now 9th level casters, are really good at skills, and bardic inspiration is basically like handing out 3.5 version of action points.

Chaosvii7
2014-07-09, 06:14 PM
Bards are now 9th level casters, are really good at skills, and bardic inspiration is basically like handing out 3.5 version of action points.

Okay, a slightly more complex question; Do any classes get extra attacks as a class feature besides the Fighter, and if so, whom?

Envyus
2014-07-09, 06:16 PM
What a are the Pally and Warlock subclaases like and called.

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 06:21 PM
Pic (http://i.imgur.com/OdQ4zVH.png)

I don't really have interest in leaking it to a website where it will be posted in full, that will just hurt WotC sales I think. The layout is good, it starts off immediately with how to build a character for dummies (basically), and a lot of things like spells are laid out in a very simple matter. Sometimes, I feel it's too simple, like they're implying players can't handle complex ideas or math, but I assume a lot of that will come in later supplements.

There's no strength based rogue. Sneak attack is dex weapons only, and the archetypes do nothing to change that.

Paladin, Ranger, Monk and Fighter all get 1 extra attack at 5th level. Fighters get an extra attack at 5th, 11th, 16th. Monks can use a bonus action to flurry for 2 extra attacks (which is pretty insane at level 5 I imagine, 4 attacks). Some archetypes grant extra attacks, like war domain cleric can get an extra attack as a bonus action wis mod times per day. Edit: Barbarians at 5th too, whoops.

Envyus
2014-07-09, 06:26 PM
Action surge a fighter power also doubles a Fighters attacks.

Chaosvii7
2014-07-09, 06:33 PM
Pic (http://i.imgur.com/OdQ4zVH.png)Paladin, Ranger, Monk and Fighter all get 1 extra attack at 5th level. Fighters get an extra attack at 5th, 11th, 16th. Monks can use a bonus action to flurry for 2 extra attacks (which is pretty insane at level 5 I imagine, 4 attacks). Some archetypes grant extra attacks, like war domain cleric can get an extra attack as a bonus action wis mod times per day. Edit: Barbarians at 5th too, whoops.

Basically what I guessed, then. It's also pretty par for the course based on the playtests. I'm probably going to give the non-spellcasters an extra attack, and maybe bring down the power level of a few features to compensate(Sneak Attack and Paladin's Divine Strike, unless they nerfed that between the final packet and now). I feel like extra attacks is the spice of life between mundanes and spellcasters to help bridge the action economy gap.

One last question from me, I promise :smallbiggrin:; Do Warlocks or Sorcerers have a Blood Magic-based specialty?

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 06:34 PM
I mentioned action surge above, but it actually just gives you an extra action, so you could use it to cast a spell, attack, or do whatever.

Non-spell casters already seem to do way more damage than spell casters, if anything it pushes spell casters into more of a battlefield control/buff/debuff role than even 3.5 did.

Warlocks have specific patrons (as in they have names and personalities) but they're basically just fey, infernal, and star pact again. Sorcerer gets dragon and wild magic. So no blood.

Chaosvii7
2014-07-09, 06:48 PM
Warlocks have specific patrons (as in they have names and personalities) but they're basically just fey, infernal, and star pact again. Sorcerer gets dragon and wild magic. So no blood.

Poo-poo. Oh well, got the two things I want; Bards and Warlocks. I don't need a gross amount of subclass specificity, because I will love these classes no matter what they do.

Non-spell casters already seem to do way more damage than spell casters, if anything it pushes spell casters into more of a battlefield control/buff/debuff role than even 3.5 did.

Which is a great design philosophy, so long as overland travel doesn't become irrelevant at later levels, and that spellcasters can't tear the action economy apart like toilet tissue.

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 07:02 PM
Poo-poo. Oh well, got the two things I want; Bards and Warlocks. I don't need a gross amount of subclass specificity, because I will love these classes no matter what they do.

Hehe, agreed. They're my two favorites from the book, bards in particular seem extremely good, great spell list, great class features, and good skill use.

Which is a great design philosophy, so long as overland travel doesn't become irrelevant at later levels, and that spellcasters can't tear the action economy apart like toilet tissue.

Action economy seems pretty stable overall. Sadly travel based adventures will still fall apart once teleport becomes available (7th level spell) or even teleportation circle (5th level spell).

archaeo
2014-07-09, 07:10 PM
Pic (http://i.imgur.com/OdQ4zVH.png)

I don't really have interest in leaking it to a website where it will be posted in full, that will just hurt WotC sales I think.

Oh, that's not at all what I meant, just that a leaked book and someone willing to talk about what's in it is perhaps news big enough to merit a headline on the likes of EN World, and I doubt they'd really want to try to douse sales by leaking the full contents or whatever.

But that's all obviously up to you; those who want to port this news over to other forums can link to your information from here as easily as a website's front page.

Psyren
2014-07-09, 07:16 PM
Wild shape at level 2, interesting... what does it do? (Stats, attacks, defenses?)

Can you get more attacks by morphing into a beast, e.g. two claws?

Callin
2014-07-09, 07:16 PM
Can I get a Chapter List?

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 07:28 PM
Wild shape at level 2, interesting... what does it do? (Stats, attacks, defenses?)

Can you get more attacks by morphing into a beast, e.g. two claws?

It's very weird. You can turn into any animal with a maximum CR the is based on druid level. Not only do you gain their attacks, you gain their stats and even their hit points. The hit points are a separate pool, and once it's depleted you revert back to normal form with your hit points prior to transforming. Without having a monster manual it's difficult to say how powerful it is, but it seems very strong.

Chapters are:
1. Step by step characters
2. Races
3. Classes
4. ??? apparently there's no chapter 4, weird. Not sure what would be missing. Maybe just misnumbered.
5. Equipment
6. Customization Options
7. Using Ability Scores
8. Adventuring
9. Combat
10. Spellcasting
11. Spells
Appendix: Conditions

Callin
2014-07-09, 07:31 PM
Cool. So I take it Backgrounds are in the Customization Chapter? I hope they got a decent number of em (10 or so would be nice).

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 07:42 PM
Cool. So I take it Backgrounds are in the Customization Chapter? I hope they got a decent number of em (10 or so would be nice).

Ahhh, that's what's missing. I should have noticed that, but they must be in chapter 4. It mentions what they do (one trait, 2 skills, and a tool/language prof). but never actually describes them anywhere.

Kaiisaxo
2014-07-09, 07:44 PM
I have one question that has been killing me for ages.

Does the draconic sorcerer turn into a monster? (stuff like growing scales, claws and stuff)? or is it optional?(or not happening at all)?

Do you need str to multiclass into fighter or can you do it with dex too?

A third one, is the book too full of disclaimers and warnings like "you need DM permision"?

CyberThread
2014-07-09, 07:49 PM
How detailed are the gods? As a forgotten realms fan that is a huge thing for us right now.

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 07:51 PM
Does the draconic sorcerer turn into a monster? (stuff like growing scales, claws and stuff)? or is it optional?(or not happening at all)?
Sadly no. I remember an early playtest of the sorcerer I read that worked like that, where the more spells you cast the more monstrous you become. This sorc doesn't work like that, dragon sorcs just get some bonus AC, resistances, and eventually flight.

Do you need str to multiclass into fighter or can you do it with dex too?
Str or Dex to multiclass fighter. They're the only class that lets you choose between two stats.

A third one, is the book too full of disclaimers and warnings like "you need DM permision"?

Yes unfortunately, I find it rather offputting. There's also a number of spells, like summons and the like, that tell you "your DM will have the info" as if you're too dumb to know it yourself. I really like the book overall, but I do think they went a little too far in assuming the players need to be babied.

CyberThread
2014-07-09, 07:55 PM
Sadly no. I remember an early playtest of the sorcerer I read that worked like that, where the more spells you cast the more monstrous you become. This sorc doesn't work like that, dragon sorcs just get some bonus AC, resistances, and eventually flight.

Str or Dex to multiclass fighter. They're the only class that lets you choose between two stats.

Yes unfortunately, I find it rather offputting. There's also a number of spells, like summons and the like, that tell you "your DM will have the info" as if you're too dumb to know it yourself. I really like the book overall, but I do think they went a little too far in assuming the players need to be babied.

Babies or the monster manuals arnt out yet so you don't know what you can summon yet?

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 08:26 PM
But then you'd think it would simply say "see the monster manual." As for gods, it doesn't have a detailed section on them, for domains it mentions a list of gods that support each one, and they're from a host of settings. For example, the nature domain mentions Silvanus, Obad'hai, Chislev, Balinor, and Pan. Which are from four different settings and the real world.

Jeraa
2014-07-09, 08:29 PM
Chapters are:
1. Step by step characters
2. Races
3. Classes
4. ??? apparently there's no chapter 4, weird. Not sure what would be missing. Maybe just misnumbered.
5. Equipment
6. Customization Options
7. Using Ability Scores
8. Adventuring
9. Combat
10. Spellcasting
11. Spells
Appendix: Conditions

Since the other chapters match the chapters in Basic, chapter 4 should be the section dealing with your characters name, sex, height, weight, alignment, languages, and background. At least that is what it is in the Basic PDF.

Kaiisaxo
2014-07-09, 08:30 PM
But then you'd think it would simply say "see the monster manual." As for gods, it doesn't have a detailed section on them, for domains it mentions a list of gods that support each one, and they're from a host of settings. For example, the nature domain mentions Silvanus, Obad'hai, Chislev, Balinor, and Pan. Which are from four different settings and the real world.

Speaking of domains, which domains are included?

Eldaran
2014-07-09, 08:36 PM
Speaking of domains, which domains are included?

Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War.

Chaosvii7
2014-07-09, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the info! Are warlords included in the PHB?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it's probably a subclass. Either Paladin, Fighter, or Bard. In the playtests it was a Bard College(College of Valor), and I believe that Fighters had a subclass ability that let their allies attack as part of an action or a bonus action.

I can easily imagine it getting full support, but I don't think it being a class could be a reality at this point.

PiggDaddy
2014-07-09, 09:42 PM
So do all the classes except sorcerer have at least 3 sub-classes? If so what is the rogues third subclass (I assume the second is assassin).

wavester
2014-07-09, 09:58 PM
It's junk. I know exactly where that page came from and it is not the finalized PHB coming out next month. It's also nice and neatly cropped for what is on the top and bottom of said page.

So ask questions all you want but don't be surprised when you find out next month how much of it is just junk.

PiggDaddy
2014-07-09, 10:05 PM
It's junk. I know exactly where that page came from and it is not the finalized PHB coming out next month. It's also nice and neatly cropped for what is on the top and bottom of said page.

So ask questions all you want but don't be surprised when you find out next month how much of it is just junk.

Would you mind informing us where this page came from if you know?

wavester
2014-07-09, 10:17 PM
Would you mind informing us where this page came from if you know?

Unlike the claims of said OP I am under NDA's. Probably signed a few dozen in my day besides the fact I've been under contract with Wotc for more than a decade now. So no I cannot tell you where that page came from anymore then any of the other amazing 5E things I've gotten to see. Seeing things early and having input #AWESOME - not being able to tell anybody anything #notsoawesome

Now having said that I'll state my name (for those that don't know my alter-ego Wavester).

Hi my name is David Christ. I own and run Baldman Games. I'm the senior tournament organizer for D&D for Wotc. I run little shows like Gen Con and PAX Prime. So in a few weeks 200 or so people will be working for me running thousands and thousands of people through the new edition at Gen Con and the launch of the D&D Adventurers League. I have absolutely no reason to lie. I just don't like people sowing disinformation and ruining other peoples fun leading up to the launch of something exciting.

DreadGazebo
2014-07-09, 10:19 PM
This is 100% BS.

Being a playtester since the friends & family alpha I can confirm that this document is from an alpha version of the PHB sent out on Feb 11th. This is probably breaking NDA but I'm sick of people leaking unfinalized information and generating buzz around materials that are yet to be finalized. He has a single "photo" of said book, which is simply a screen shot of the alpha materials PDF, also note that both the top and bottom of the document are cropped out of the picture so you can't see the "CONFIDENTIAL" "Property of Wizards of the Coast: Do Not Redistribute" watermark.

The folks at WotC have worked hard to make a game that is attempting to satisfy as many people happy as possible, which is damn near impossible, so please give them the respect enough to wait until their product is finished before weighing in on its contents.

DreadGazebo
2014-07-09, 10:20 PM
Ha, Dave you beat me to it!

da_chicken
2014-07-09, 10:30 PM
The folks at WotC have worked hard to make a game that is attempting to satisfy as many people happy as possible, which is damn near impossible, so please give them the respect enough to wait until their product is finished before weighing in on its contents.

But then we can't use our wild and rampant speculation to create endless straw man arguments as a proxy for our deep seated need to validate ourselves by proving the edition of rules for a tabletop roleplaying game as factually and objectively superior because we've mistakenly linked our personal identity with the game so anything which negates our preferred edition negates us!

We're only trying to save ourselves from oblivion!

PiggDaddy
2014-07-09, 10:31 PM
This is 100% BS.

Being a playtester since the friends & family alpha I can confirm that this document is from an alpha version of the PHB sent out on Feb 11th. This is probably breaking NDA but I'm sick of people leaking unfinalized information and generating buzz around materials that are yet to be finalized. He has a single "photo" of said book, which is simply a screen shot of the alpha materials PDF, also note that both the top and bottom of the document are cropped out of the picture so you can't see the "CONFIDENTIAL" "Property of Wizards of the Coast: Do Not Redistribute" watermark.

I appreciate your wisdom (insight) into the trustworthiness of this post.

PiggDaddy
2014-07-09, 10:35 PM
But then we can't use our wild and rampant speculation to create endless straw man arguments as a proxy for our deep seated need to validate ourselves by proving the edition of rules for a tabletop roleplaying game as factually and objectively superior because we've mistakenly linked our personal identity with the game so anything which negates our preferred edition negates us!

We're only trying to save ourselves from oblivion!

And rolling natural ones on said saves.

iceman10058
2014-07-09, 10:41 PM
While i understand the eagerness of the release and more details of 5th edition, unless i can hold a physical copy and read it, i cannot and will not take anyone elses word of what it will be like outside of official wotc releases. this being said, i do want to know all the changes they made to paladin and the subclasses for rogue, i just have to wait.

surfarcher
2014-07-09, 11:35 PM
Unlike the claims of said OP I am under NDA's. Probably signed a few dozen in my day besides the fact I've been under contract with Wotc for more than a decade now. So no I cannot tell you where that page came from anymore then any of the other amazing 5E things I've gotten to see. Seeing things early and having input #AWESOME - not being able to tell anybody anything #notsoawesome

Now having said that I'll state my name (for those that don't know my alter-ego Wavester).

Hi my name is David Christ. I own and run Baldman Games. I'm the senior tournament organizer for D&D for Wotc. I run little shows like Gen Con and PAX Prime. So in a few weeks 200 or so people will be working for me running thousands and thousands of people through the new edition at Gen Con and the launch of the D&D Adventurers League. I have absolutely no reason to lie. I just don't like people sowing disinformation and ruining other peoples fun leading up to the launch of something exciting.

This is 100% BS.

I'm glad I didn't post when you guys did or I would be in the same boat.

To the OP I say this... The PDF you copied or got printed has the word CONFIDENTIAL at the bottom of every page for a reason. You may not have broken NDA, but at the very least you broke someone else's.

archaeo
2014-07-10, 12:04 AM
Thanks for looking out, actual playtesters. OP, c'mon.

Eldaran
2014-07-10, 12:56 AM
Sorry, I was afk for a bit, but this is ridiculous. Just because you attach a name to your post does not make it trustworthy.

There is absolutely nothing in the pdf that says it's confidential or otherwise. Nor have I sowed any disinformation. I do not know if this is an alpha or more recent version of the 5e rules, however I do know that the classes in here correspond exactly to the basic rules that have been released (except there is more info) which means it's probably pretty up to date. It's obviously not complete, as there's a whole missing chapter, as I discovered in this thread earlier, but I have not lied or otherwise misled anyone.

I made a video to prove that there's no confidential note on any page, but it's still uploading. (https://vimeo.com/100380709) Still, here's a screenshot of the page I uploaded earlier (http://i.imgur.com/ZGTbXeZ.png) that's scrolled down.

surfarcher
2014-07-10, 01:03 AM
Sorry, I was afk for a bit, but this is ridiculous. Just because you attach a name to your post does not make it trustworthy.

There is absolutely nothing in the pdf that says it's confidential or otherwise. Nor have I sowed any disinformation. I do not know if this is an alpha or more recent version of the 5e rules, however I do know that the classes in here correspond exactly to the basic rules that have been released (except there is more info) which means it's probably pretty up to date. It's obviously not complete, as there's a whole missing chapter, as I discovered in this thread earlier, but I have not lied or otherwise misled anyone.

I made a video to prove that there's no confidential note on any page, but it's still uploading. (https://vimeo.com/100380709) Still, here's a screenshot of the page I uploaded earlier (http://i.imgur.com/ZGTbXeZ.png) that's scrolled down.

That is definitely one of the pre-print playtest PHB documents only issued under separate NDA. Someone his simply removed the CONFIDENTIAL footer and presumably some of the hidden fields.

DreadGazebo
2014-07-10, 01:09 AM
That is definitely one of the pre-print playtest PHB documents only issued under separate NDA. Someone his simply removed the CONFIDENTIAL footer and presumably some of the hidden fields.

No way man, basic image editing programs are super hard to acquire.

Eldaran
2014-07-10, 01:11 AM
No way man, basic image editing programs are super hard to acquire.

Sigh. This is why I recorded a video, if you idiots would just wait 20 minutes or so.

Chaosvii7
2014-07-10, 01:13 AM

Referencing this with the last playtest they released, this is definitely an entirely different product. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of WIP PHB, but it's definitely a unique product that wasn't distributed, and is probably in most respects finalized.

Also it has quick build rules, which while they were present in the final playtest they weren't expansive(and the quick build rules ARE in the same style as the Basic Rules' ones.)

Could you post a snippet of the class chart of a class that is already represented in Basic D&D; A Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, or Wizard?

I wouldn't be surprised that even had you got this through totally legitimate means that it just be handed down to you from clean handed people; You could very well be the target of somebody who's committing a crime by posting the finalized rules under the circumstances they've acquired it in.

I actually believe you; But I question if it's truly legal or not.

Eldaran
2014-07-10, 01:31 AM
Is it leaked? Of course. Is it illegal for me to talk about it? No way, there's no way I'm doing anything wrong by talking about it. Now, if I posted the document it might be problematic, but I wouldn't do that anyway. Also, the video is up now if you want to watch me scroll through pages with no sign of "confidential."

Here's the fighter (http://imgur.com/1XtdeHC) note that compared to the playtest some of the fluff text before the table is missing, but otherwise it's the same.

Anyway, I just got excited about something that I previously had little interest in, and wanted to talk about it.

unwise
2014-07-10, 01:34 AM
I'm really not sure what people are getting on a high horse about here. The OP offered some info and people wanted that info. We all know that the book is not in stores yet, so we can surely assume that the OP got this in an unconventional manner, I don't see how that is coming as a shock to anybody. If the info is out of date or has changed, I don't really see how that should spark some outrage. I just don't see what has changed between the first page of the thread and this one.

I for one am interested in:
- The subclass/guild/vow/school/domain/whateveryoucallit for each class. You mentioned a few of them earlier, can you shed some light on the Monk, Bard or Warlock?
- Does the Eldritch Knight keep gaining spells as they level up? Are they a half-caster like a Paladin or Ranger? I am a little confused about how their spell casting works.
- Interestingly, the Druid you showed there has no Extra Attack. I am pretty sure that they had one at level 8 in the playtest packet I used. Have Bards lost their Extra Attack too?
- Now that the Bard is a full caster, has it lost some of its other abilities? I am not sure if you are familiar with what it use to be like.

surfarcher
2014-07-10, 01:46 AM
Is it leaked? Of course. Is it illegal for me to talk about it? No way, there's no way I'm doing anything wrong by talking about it. Now, if I posted the document it might be problematic, but I wouldn't do that anyway. Also, the video is up now if you want to watch me scroll through pages with no sign of "confidential."

Here's the fighter (http://imgur.com/1XtdeHC) note that compared to the playtest some of the fluff text before the table is missing, but otherwise it's the same.

Anyway, I just got excited about something that I previously had little interest in, and wanted to talk about it.
FWIW I believe you. But someone certainly did break NDA Big Time.

I'm really not sure what people are getting on a high horse about here. The OP offered some info and people wanted that info. We all know that the book is not in stores yet, so we can surely assume that the OP got this in an unconventional manner, I don't see how that is coming as a shock to anybody. If the info is out of date or has changed, I don't really see how that should spark some outrage. I just don't see what has changed between the first page of the thread and this one.
...snip...
So you can't see that the urge to share is high amongst playtesters, but that so many of us have kept our word? And that it's very disappointing for us that this should happen? Likely Wizards will never catch up with the person who broke NDA (but boy I hope they do). And the likely result is that those of us who kept NDA will simply find a closed door in our faces where future materials are concerned.

Chaosvii7
2014-07-10, 01:46 AM
Interestingly, the Druid you showed there has no Extra Attack. I am pretty sure that they had one at level 8 in the playtest packet I used. Have Bards lost their Extra Attack too?

Design philosophy of the Basic Rules suggests that every non-spellcaster that isn't the Rogue gets extra attacks. The Rogue supplants his lack of attacks with one huge burst of damage, so they typically don't lag behind in effectiveness like that. Spellcasters have all universally lost multiple iterative attacks; There are features that can grant iteratives(Clerics definitely had the War Domain, and I hope that Bards get an option that grants extra attack at a later level), but they're not built-in.

Maybe Wild Shaping will impact and expand your attack options. But for now it's a reasonable balance between spell and sword.

Sartharina
2014-07-10, 01:47 AM
My question is... does the Caster Fighter gain access to a ninth-level spell slot? I want to be able to bust out an occasional Meteor Swarm/Earthquake/Storm of Vengeance like Katt from BoFII!

surfarcher
2014-07-10, 01:53 AM
Something interesting just occurred to me. If the OP is posting protected material, including copyrighted excerpts, via these forums...

I wonder how long it will be before GitP hears lawyers at their door??

Eldaran
2014-07-10, 02:09 AM
The Eldritch Knight fighter just gets up to 4th level spells, but they can cast a spell and attack as a bonus action, and get to impose disadvantage on saves against targets they've attacked, which is pretty nasty.

For extra attacks, I assume the druid gets theirs from Wild Shape, as they gain the monster's attacks. College of Valor bards get an extra attack, yeah, and can attack as a bonus action after casting a spell. Bards just seem all around awesome really. Rogues are definitely about single big hits. The Assassin rogue gets an autocrit if they surprise someone, and it maximizes their sneak attack damage too.

CyberThread
2014-07-10, 02:30 AM
The Eldritch Knight fighter just gets up to 4th level spells, but they can cast a spell and attack as a bonus action, and get to impose disadvantage on saves against targets they've attacked, which is pretty nasty.

For extra attacks, I assume the druid gets theirs from Wild Shape, as they gain the monster's attacks. College of Valor bards get an extra attack, yeah, and can attack as a bonus action after casting a spell. Bards just seem all around awesome really. Rogues are definitely about single big hits. The Assassin rogue gets an autocrit if they surprise someone, and it maximizes their sneak attack damage too.

Dude drop the charade, you don't have the real PHB, no way in hell an entire chapter would not be printed. Just stop wasting our time, with alpha PDF you found online , a simple google found the same document with a similar error.

Your a damn joke.

Eldaran
2014-07-10, 03:03 AM
I'll quote myself here. Not sure why you're so pissed off if this is some well known document then.

Yorrin
2014-07-10, 08:25 AM
Dude drop the charade, you don't have the real PHB, no way in hell an entire chapter would not be printed. Just stop wasting our time, with alpha PDF you found online , a simple google found the same document with a similar error.

Your a damn joke.

On the one hand, yes. This is a sham if it's not the final product. On the other hand, what search query did you enter? Because looking over this document will at least give us some insight into the design direction that they've moved in since the last playtest with stuff that isn't in basic.

rlc
2014-07-10, 08:31 AM
At least change the thread title so it doesn't say "full" in it if it's not full? Unless chapter 4 was too violent for them to include.

evileeyore
2014-07-10, 11:33 AM
If you have any general questions, feel free to ask.
Did you used to post as DDK back in the day on other boards?

Psyren
2014-07-10, 03:01 PM

Seriously, this. If you think the information is illegitimate in some way, then you can simply post your reasons for thinking so and move on. Attacking the guy for sharing what he has with us is just pointless and inflammatory. The truth will out soon enough.

I do agree this probably isn't a "full" PHB since it's missing a chapter though.

It's very weird. You can turn into any animal with a maximum CR the is based on druid level. Not only do you gain their attacks, you gain their stats and even their hit points. The hit points are a separate pool, and once it's depleted you revert back to normal form with your hit points prior to transforming. Without having a monster manual it's difficult to say how powerful it is, but it seems very strong.

Ugh. I really, really hope this isn't true or we'll have Druids outfighting the fighter all over again. They'll even be able to double their HP just by shapeshifting.

Socksy
2014-07-10, 03:14 PM

Your a damn joke.

There's really no need to attack the OP over this, despite what you believe.

Plus it's hard to take your post seriously due to you using "your" instead of "you're" (although you're not the only one on the forums guilty of that, and a lot of offenders are waaaay worse).

akaddk
2014-07-10, 06:13 PM
Did you used to post as DDK back in the day on other boards?

https://i.imgur.com/CMCvZQ3.gif

Psyren
2014-07-10, 07:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CMCvZQ3.gif

"Join date: Jul 2014"

Seems legit

evileeyore
2014-07-10, 07:36 PM
"Join date: Jul 2014"

Seems legit
Nah... Aka postin like that tells me all I need to know. :smallwink:

Obeeron
2014-07-10, 07:44 PM
What are the elven subraces? Is something Eladrin-ish in there? If so, what are they like, can they teleport?

Feats - are there feats that have Saving Throw bonuses or allow you to apply your proficiency bonus to different saves than those you get from your class?
How many feats are there (ish)? Any cool ones?

jadrax
2014-07-11, 12:05 PM

In the final game, Cantrips are listed in their own column not as a class feature. Also I very much doubt Druids ended up getting faster Cantrip progression than Clerics/Wizards.

Pretty sure this is quite-old closed play test material.

niks97cobra
2014-07-12, 04:51 AM
People are getting upset with him because the thread title, which makes you click on the thread and waste time, says he acquired a full 5e PHB. That means he has a full, 5e PHB in hand. I'm sure 99% clicking on this thread assumed he had a book in his hand and he could answer questions about. If the thread title had said, "So I was emailed this pdf and the supplier claims it is the final rendition of 5e, I can't say for certain, but I will answer questions on what I got," then no one would be mad. However, the OP seems to be, well I won't resort to name calling, but he definitely intended to act like he had a legit PDF, not just some bs like he tried to back peddle later in the thread. IMO, trolls like him should be banned.

evileeyore
2014-07-12, 12:29 PM
I'm sure 99% clicking on this thread assumed he had a book in his hand...
WOT! I'm finally part of the 1%! :smallcool:

Oh wait. Not the right kind of 1%. :smallfrown:

Tholomyes
2014-07-12, 02:56 PM
What are the elven subraces? Is something Eladrin-ish in there? If so, what are they like, can they teleport?

Feats - are there feats that have Saving Throw bonuses or allow you to apply your proficiency bonus to different saves than those you get from your class?
How many feats are there (ish)? Any cool ones? The Basic Rules are up on the WotC site, which show the elves have the High elf subrace. They don't get teleportation (it could be a racial feat, but I doubt it).

As for feats, I have no more knowledge than the rest of the people here, but I'd put money on there not being a ton. Based on the design philosophy that they've had for feats, both in their "optional" status (which, IMO, was a terrible decision. I get that it was made to appease the grognards, but I'm betting both that the number of people who had a problem with feats is significantly smaller, by orders of magnitude, than the number who consider feats a mandatory part of the game and that a lot of the people who have a problem with feats come from the era of D&D where hardly any games ran without heavy houseruling, anyway) and the fact that you get fewer over 1-20, (which also means in general, since you don't get your first (non human) feat until far later, you'll wind up with far fewer feats for the majority of your adventuring career) that there will be a very small number of feats in the PHB.

Eldaran
2014-07-12, 06:12 PM
People are getting upset with him because the thread title, which makes you click on the thread and waste time, says he acquired a full 5e PHB. That means he has a full, 5e PHB in hand. I'm sure 99% clicking on this thread assumed he had a book in his hand and he could answer questions about. If the thread title had said, "So I was emailed this pdf and the supplier claims it is the final rendition of 5e, I can't say for certain, but I will answer questions on what I got," then no one would be mad. However, the OP seems to be, well I won't resort to name calling, but he definitely intended to act like he had a legit PDF, not just some bs like he tried to back peddle later in the thread. IMO, trolls like him should be banned.

How is this trolling? People on here are either saying "duh, everyone knows about this leaked pdf already" or they haven't heard of it at all. I stated up front I knew little about 5e, but I knew there hadn't been any phb released yet so it seemed pretty cool. The difference between pdf and physical book is meaningless, though yes as I found out it's not complete, just mostly complete. If I could have deleted the thread I would have, simply because of jerks like you who come in insulting me.

I'm sorry for ever wanting to discuss something on a forum meant for discussing, and I certainly won't be posting in the 5e section ever again.

akaddk
2014-07-12, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry for ever wanting to discuss something on a forum meant for discussing, and I certainly won't be posting in the 5e section ever again.
Yes, but... will you also be moving your bookmarks?

Envyus
2014-07-12, 07:09 PM
How is this trolling? People on here are either saying "duh, everyone knows about this leaked pdf already" or they haven't heard of it at all. I stated up front I knew little about 5e, but I knew there hadn't been any phb released yet so it seemed pretty cool. The difference between pdf and physical book is meaningless, though yes as I found out it's not complete, just mostly complete. If I could have deleted the thread I would have, simply because of jerks like you who come in insulting me.

Don't worry we just know you don't have the actual thing now.

evileeyore
2014-07-13, 12:32 AM
Yes, but... will you also be moving your bookmarks?
This was a sumptuous thread. I greatly enjoyed it and would like to thank everyone whom had a hand in bringing this incredible feast to fruition.

Firstly, akaddk, thank you for trolling this in the other message board. I would posi-rep you there... but I won't and you know why (for everyone else it's for the comedy :smallwink: ). I'd certainly posi-rep you here... but there's no rep feature. :smallmad:

To the many posters who took the thread seriously and kept asking questions, kudos! I love you all! :smallbiggrin:

And last but certianly the most, thank you Eldaran for creating this beautiful thread and claiming to have a full 5e PHB pdf and for fighting for several days to keep the illusion alive! I will definitely follow your work in the future and recommend you to all my friends! :biggrin:

CyberThread
2014-07-13, 12:38 AM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080202231407/uncyclopedia/images/1/11/Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Threads over

Surrealistik
2014-07-13, 01:10 AM
Probably mentioned before but what was linked is the Alpha closed playtest PHB (or at least a screenie from it), quite a bit of which has been changed for the retail release. It's mostly but not entirely complete; further supplements detailing additional spells and options, and updated wording were subsequently issued to accompany that PDF.

yeahright
2014-07-29, 08:54 PM
It's junk.

Seems like you grossly misrepresented things, here. The alpha Tiefling matches the preview Tiefling perfectly. The Paladin is also an exact word-for-word match. The feat list is identical save one or two feats. The Sorcerer looks mostly the same, but gets more sorcery points and fewer cantrips.

So the Alpha is great, the real PHB will have slightly different rules text along with a ton of GORGEOUS art, and... maybe you have a vested interest in sowing a smidgeon of disinformation?

CyberThread
2014-07-29, 11:27 PM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080202231407/uncyclopedia/images/1/11/Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Threads over

again I say

MadBear
2014-07-30, 01:23 AM
:smallbiggrin:

LOL, I read the thread title, and first post. From there I found myself thoroughly confused until I realized there must have been some edits since the first post was made.

Jigawatts
2014-07-30, 03:59 AM
Go away...
Eldaran, are you the same Eldaran who was playing a High Elf Cleric in Project 1999 a few months ago?

rlc
2014-07-31, 12:43 AM
i'm surprised it never got closed