PDA

View Full Version : Concentration linked to Constitution- Why?

AoiRorentsu
2007-02-28, 01:08 AM
Is it to give casters even more incentive to put points into Constitution so they aren't quite so squishy? Is it so that at least one skill is tied to Con (unless I am illiterate, which quite frankly is a distinct possibility)?

Does anyone have a better understanding than I do of why Concentration is linked to Constitution? I can make a medical argument for Intelligence and reasonable "common sense" arguments for both wisdom and charisma, but constitution is just... I don't understand.

Just something that's been bugging me...

thanks to all!

Wippit Guud
2007-02-28, 01:14 AM
Most common reason to use a concentration check in the game involves ignoring physical distractions (riding a horse, combat, taking damage), hence why it's based on the body, not the mind.

marjan
2007-02-28, 01:16 AM
Well I guess it is something like you additional DR but only for concentration checks. The more you can endure the less likely it is to disrupt you. I'm not sure about this but it is my opinion.

Demented
2007-02-28, 01:35 AM
Probably represents one's ability to resist pain and other discomforts, as well as the sum of dexterity, strength and wisdom required to prevent your somatic component from turning into rude gestures indicating your opponent's peculiar sexual preferences.

Vaynor
2007-02-28, 02:18 AM
My theory is because they both start with the same three letters, and thus WotC (being lazy) could use the same abbreviation for both.

But that's just me...

:wink:

marjan
2007-02-28, 02:28 AM
My theory is because they both start with the same three letters, and thus WotC (being lazy) could use the same abbreviation for both.

But that's just me...

:wink:

Interesting point of view. And it may be most true.:smalltongue:

Stevenson
2007-02-28, 06:14 AM
Because almost every time a caster uses it, it's to concentrate despite people beating him up. So it's saying that if you get hurt, a hugher constitution makes you not wail in agony and writhe about as much.

Vik
2007-02-28, 06:19 AM
Does anyone have a better understanding than I do of why Concentration is linked to Constitution? I can make a medical argument for Intelligence and reasonable "common sense" arguments for both wisdom and charisma, but constitution is just... I don't understand.I think the main reason is balance. If you used wisdom, for example, that will greatly advantage the Cleric.

I guess that one could rule that the Concentration check is dependant on the casting ability, but that would make Concentration a strange skill compared to the others. Constitution seems to be the best choice.

daggaz
2007-02-28, 06:34 AM
Stephenson is right. Vik's argument is only a fortunate side effect as far as balance goes.

AoiRorentsu
2007-02-28, 01:00 PM
I guess I sorta suspected the balance issues more than anything else, though the writhing in agony-related points make sense, too. I just seems like, when casting defensively, it should be related to something else. I don't know...