PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How would you build a mage hunter?

Malaqai
2014-07-09, 07:42 PM
Hello. I'm running a campaign where one of the major religions hunts sorcerers and wizards. While there are some obvious options available, I'm curious as to how the playground would build a level 6-10 mage hunter.

deuxhero
2014-07-09, 07:57 PM
Cleric 6-10, maybe Psion 6-10 if you allow DSP stuff.

Vorandril
2014-07-09, 07:57 PM
Depends on the reasons behind it. Do they hunt mages because they believe magic itself is inherently bad or just the people using it? Also do they see a difference between arcane magic, and divine miracles?

Because if it's a distrust of magic itself you have to determine if they will be hypocrites and use magic or not. If not? Complete Adventurer would be your best friend. Rogues, Scouts, Monks, Fighters, Barbarians all around and I'd look into Vow of Poverty. Since masterwork weapons would be the best they could use anyway.

If they're willing to use magic? Give them necklaces of Spell Resistance. Wonderous Items that create Anti-magic fields would be one of their biggest, but most powerful investments. Enslave beholders and cut off the eye stalks so they can only use the one large eye.

If it's just the people using it? Rogue/Assassins with Fighters as enforcers.

No matter what it would behoove the melee oriented agents to probably pick up feats that improve their opportunity attacks so they can try and wreck a mage who makes the mistake of saying, "I should be able to get this spell off!"

Just my thoughts from the realm of "Keep it simple"

((Apologies. I didn't see it was for Pathfinder))

sideswipe
2014-07-09, 07:58 PM
hunting mages level 6-10? if they are that low then bigger mages :smallwink:

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-09, 08:48 PM
Hello. I'm running a campaign where one of the major religions hunts sorcerers and wizards. While there are some obvious options available, I'm curious as to how the playground would build a level 6-10 mage hunter.

So the faith hunts down arcane spell casters? Sounds like you need a large order of Inquisitors with the Spellbreaker archetype!

grarrrg
2014-07-09, 08:57 PM
So the faith hunts down arcane spell casters? Sounds like you need a large order of Inquisitors with the Spellbreaker archetype!

^This^

Major Religion? Check.
Hunting down Arcane-types? Check.
Spellbreakers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/spellbreaker) were made for what you want.

Possibly throw on the Spellkiller Inquisition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/inquisitions/inquistions---paizo/spellkiller-inquisition) for the Disruptive feat and you're good to go.

Malaqai
2014-07-10, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the replies! The reason the Inquisition is hunting down arcane casters is because, in my homebrew, most forms of arcane magic damage the fabric of reality.

I think I'm going to wind up using the Witchhunter Archetype for the spell scent and partly because I can't figure out how increasing the DC of defensively cast spells is really useful when mages can take 5-foot-steps. If somebody could perhaps explain that to me I'd be very appreciative.

Giddonihah
2014-07-10, 02:16 AM
The Barbarian has some pretty nice Anti Mage Rage powers. Like the ability to sunder enchantments, and other cool stuff. Also the 3p book Path of War has a Mage hunter prestige class that does alright if you can get the drop on a mage, and gets the Fighters antispellcaster feats to boot.

FabulousFizban
2014-07-10, 02:25 AM
spell sunder barbarian. superstition, witch hunter, the other thing...

Sayt
2014-07-10, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the replies! The reason the Inquisition is hunting down arcane casters is because, in my homebrew, most forms of arcane magic damage the fabric of reality.

I think I'm going to wind up using the Witchhunter Archetype for the spell scent and partly because I can't figure out how increasing the DC of defensively cast spells is really useful when mages can take 5-foot-steps. If somebody could perhaps explain that to me I'd be very appreciative.

Dwarves can get decent anti-magic saves with Hardy+Glory of Old+Steel Soul.

From there, I'd go either Fighter, picking up Step Up, Following Step, Step Up And Strike, Disruptive, Spellbreaker and Spellshatter.

Alternatively, the Barbarian Superstitious, Witchhunter, Spell Sunder rage power line is also good.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-10, 07:33 AM

Well you can counter the 5-Foot Step issue with either the Step Up feat or by having your Inquisitors work in teams that surround the mage. With two flanking Inquisitors, no matter how the mage 5-Foot Steps he's still standing next to one guy who can disrupt his spells. Actually, I would probably have a mix of Inquisitors with various Anti-Caster builds.

grarrrg
2014-07-10, 10:27 AM
artly because I can't figure out how increasing the DC of defensively cast spells is really useful when mages can take 5-foot-steps. If somebody could perhaps explain that to me I'd be very appreciative.

Multiple attackers.
Reach Weapons.
Step Up feat(s).
Spellbreaker gets a "ranged disruption" (hit a mage with Ranged attack, +2 to DC).
Trip them, then they have to waste a Move just to stand up (or crawl away with penalties).

Lots of options really.