PDA

View Full Version : Radioactive Plagues (A Discussion on it as a Disease, Curse and Template)

LordErebus12
2014-07-09, 08:32 PM
Okay, I've been struggling to put together my homebrewed world, the Poisoned World of Belladonis, for a long time now.

I've finally decided HOW the world ended up in the state that it is.

Once orbited by two moons, the world of belladonis was struck by fragments of its larger brown moon. It was destroyed by the Deep Tyrants (Combining Aboleths, Mind Flayers and Kraken, as well as cthulhu like and dagon like beings into a single group). In a genocidal rampage, primarily directed against the rebellious land-dwellers (and former slaves of their dying empire), as well as themselves for their failures, they broke the moon and began the age of darkness, where a 1000 years of ash blocked out the sun and entire ecosystems died out. The shards of the moon mostly crashed into the oceans, exterminating much of the already dwindling Deep Tyrant population. On the edge of extinction, most simply vanished into legends or otherwise died out. Those few shards that fell on the land caused even more catastrophic destruction, leaving behind a radioactive landscape.

The portions that fell in the northern-eastern section of the northern continent, as well as in the trenches in the central ocean carried an added danger. Some alien types of spores began to grow, infecting those who were nearby with mutative and radioactive spores.

What I need to work out the mechanics of these spores. I wanted it to have several distinct life cycles:
Spore Pods grow on infected most organic matter, releasing spore clouds when approached. Stationary, but not for long.
Airborn Spores infect hosts through physical contact as well as inhalation.
Those who fail their saves quickly begin to change, with the spores mutating the host into violent brutes bent on spreading their spores.
When a host dies, its body explodes in a cloud of spores, a final attempt to multiply.

Since most organic matter supports these spores, they spread very quickly. The mountains ranges that surround the infected area keeps it from spreading, although their is a choke-point in the two mountain ranges.
Acid, Cold and Fire seems to be the best ways of dealing with the spores, with Fire being the best way. The spores are quite combustive.

Anyways, i was thinking of something in the vein of Lycanthropy, with the curse disease aspect.

LordErebus12
2014-07-10, 09:39 PM
Carrier
Carriers are creatures who become infected with spores. Carrier can be spread like a disease, or straight from contact with spores. Sometimes a Carrier begins life as a normal humanoid who subsequently contracts the disease after being wounded by a Carrier or covered in spores. Such a creature is called an afflicted Carrier. Other Carriers are born as Carriers, and are known as Natural Carriers.

Combat
A Carrier uses whatever tactics and weapons are favored by others of its kind, though it tends to be slightly more aggressive. A Carrier's claws carry the disease, as well does large portions of its body. It is preternaturally cunning and strong, and possesses resistance to magic and psionics. It has the ability to regenerate wounds quickly, unless its dealt by fire, acid or cold damage.

Death cloud (Ex):
When a carrier dies, its body releases a violent burst of spores, coating all creatures and objects caught within 15 ft. Creatures caught in the effect must make fortitude saves against its cursed spores, functioning much like a contact poison instead of an injury poison.

Upon death, the carrier's body is badly damaged and has been partially consumed from within by the spores. It cannot be revived or resurrected, except by True Resurrection or similarly powerful resurrection effect, unless the effect does not require the body to be completely intact. Upon revival, the carrier is still infected with spores, unless the body has been targeted with a break enchantment effect first.

Cursed spores (Ex):
The carrier's claws are covered in spores, functioning as an injury poison whenever it manages to wound a creature with its claws. The Fortitude save DC against these spores is equal to 10 + 1/2 carrier’s racial HD + carrier’s Con modifier. Any effect or bonus to poisons that the carrier has also applies to the spores.

Rend (Ex)
If a carrier hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent's body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional (2d6+ 1 1/2 str modifier) points of damage.

Regeneration (Ex)
Acid, Cold and Fire deal normal damage to a carrier. If a carrier loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Creating a Carrier
A Carrier becomes stockier and more muscular, nearly doubling in total weight.

+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Charisma.
Type changes to Aberration
Racial Hit Dice: A carrier gains four levels of aberration, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +2, and Will +5.
Racial Skills: A carrier's aberration levels give it skill points equal to 2 + Int modifier per level (minimum 1 per level; x4 at first level, if applicable). Its class skills are climb, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, and Spot. Carriers have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Search, Spot, and Listen checks.
Racial Feats: A natural carrier's aberration levels give it two feats, without factoring class levels.
Special Attacks (see above): Cursed Spores, death cloud, Rend (2d6 + 1½ times Str modifier)
Special Qualities: darkvision 60 ft., regeneration 10 (natural) or 5 (afflicted), spell/power resistance (10 + character level).
Natural Armor: increases by +4.
Natural Weapon: Claw (1d6 plus cursed spores).
Automatic Languages: Same as base race.
Favored Class: Same as base race.
Level Adjustment: +4 (natural) or +3 (afflicted)

jiriku
2014-07-11, 12:14 AM
spore pods could be described with the hazard mechanic (DMG 76). The infection mechanic for airborne spores would be the same as for inhalation/contact poison. Clouds of airborne spores are effectively a supernatural weather hazard.

Since an infected creature suffers ongoing progression of infection, the spores are effectively, a combination disease/poison, much like drugs. Each exposure carries a specific impact, like a poison, but the ongoing progression causes debilitation as failed saving throws accumulate. Eventually, after a certain critical threshold, the disease inflicts the carrier template.

I don't see a reason why the carrier template couldn't be applied to creature types other than humanoid. Animals, magical beasts, giants, and monstrous humanoids all seem like likely carriers. Even dragons, fet, outsiders and plants might potentially be affected. You'll also want to add an infection mechanic and the death cloud to the template.

Grinner
2014-07-11, 04:52 AM
It's good to see that you're still working on this. I was afraid you had quit. :smallsmile:

As to the matter at hand, you've pretty much done everything. It boils down to "make save or get Carrier template". Whether that's through the hazard mechanic jiriku described or an Extraordinary ability that triggers upon death, that's really all there is to it.

By the way, the Carrier has an attack labelled Cursed Spores, but I don't see it described. Also, you need to make that detonate-upon-death ability.

LordErebus12
2014-07-12, 01:16 AM
Okay. All creatures can become carriers. I worked out how id like the spore cloud on death to work and worked out how the saves might work.

1 fort save against the disease.

If successful, your fine.
If failed, you take wisdom damage and must make a will save against the disease's DC each day or gain the template.

Hanuman
2014-07-12, 02:37 AM
For world-effecting spores:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_1

(Starting at Tower of Nightmares)

For radiation:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Faerzress

http://www.d20resources.com/future.d20.srd/environments/radiation.sickness.php

Debihuman
2014-07-23, 04:20 AM
Does this help: http://www.d20resources.com/future.d20.srd/environments/radiation.sickness.php

Debby

LordErebus12
2014-07-23, 08:39 AM
Does this help: http://www.d20resources.com/future.d20.srd/environments/radiation.sickness.php

Debby

hanuman already shared that link, and I've already looked at before that even. it might work as a basis for it, but I wanted to expand on it.