PDA

View Full Version : Undead Rust Monster

Yogibear41
2014-07-10, 01:31 AM
Is there anyway to reanimate a rust monster as an undead creature that allows it to keeps its rust attack ability?

BloodyMartian
2014-07-10, 01:39 AM
Rust is an Ex ability and skeletons and zombies retain Ex abilities that enhance attacks. Up to the DM if it counts.

FabulousFizban
2014-07-10, 02:43 AM
lol, love this idea.
just rule 0 it.

Thurbane
2014-07-10, 04:31 AM
Gravetouched Ghoul template (Libris Mortis p.103).

Jergmo
2014-07-10, 10:37 AM
Gravetouched Ghoul template (Libris Mortis p.103).

I thought that only applied to humanoids. Am I wrong? I don't have Libris Mortis handy anymore.

Jeraa
2014-07-10, 10:53 AM
I thought that only applied to humanoids. Am I wrong? I don't have Libris Mortis handy anymore.

It can also be added to aberrations, fey, giants, and monstrous humanoids. However, it also requires Charisma and Intelligence scores of 3 or higher. Rust monsters only have an Intelligence of 2, so you can't apply the template to normal rust monsters. If you had a more intelligent rust monster, you could apply the template.

Telok
2014-07-10, 01:36 PM
It can also be added to aberrations, fey, giants, and monstrous humanoids. However, it also requires Charisma and Intelligence scores of 3 or higher. Rust monsters only have an Intelligence of 2, so you can't apply the template to normal rust monsters. If you had a more intelligent rust monster, you could apply the template.

Increase the live rust monster's hit dice untill it gets another stat bump. Put that into Int and it qualifies.

I did that to a hydra once and gave it a level of rogue after that. It did successfully sneak up on the party.

Jeraa
2014-07-10, 01:44 PM
Increase the live rust monster's hit dice untill it gets another stat bump. Put that into Int and it qualifies.

I did that to a hydra once and gave it a level of rogue after that. It did successfully sneak up on the party.

I would just leave the stats exactly the same, and just give it an Int of 3. Monster stat blocks are only representative of average members of their kind, anyway. So rust monsters only average 2 intelligence, but some exist with 1 or 3 intelligence.

JBPuffin
2014-07-10, 01:45 PM

...:smallconfused: It snuck up on them?! Dude, that's scary. How bad was their Spot?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-07-10, 02:00 PM
:smalleek:

Yogibear41
2014-07-10, 04:17 PM
lol, love this idea.
just rule 0 it.

I'm not the DM I'm a player looking to use the threats in the area of the campaign world to my advantage, and I'm going to be pretty undead savvy in a few levels, and I see people as the biggest threat to me, people with weapons and spells, I might not be able to do much about the spells atm, but undead rust monsters can do wonders against people with metal weapons. Especially a zombie/skeleton who have DR5/ arrows/bolts can't hurt me.

Yogibear41
2014-07-10, 04:20 PM

how does a Hydra learn to become a rogue?

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-10, 04:23 PM

By joining a thieves guild.

EDIT: or by growing up on the streets as an Oliver Twist-style Hydra-Orphan

Jeraa
2014-07-10, 05:07 PM

He doesn't. He has just learned some tricks that happen to be represented best by the addition of the rogue class.

Or for those familiar with the World of Warcraft Burning Crusade expansion, the hydra learned from the fel reaver in Outland who, despite his size and being made of a lot of metal, is very stealthy.

Larkas
2014-07-10, 05:13 PM
or for those familiar with the world of warcraft burning crusade expansion, the hydra learned from the fel reaver in outland who, despite his size and being made of a lot of metal, is very stealthy.

damn you, fel reaver!!!

137beth
2014-07-10, 09:00 PM

Can rust monsters wear Headbands of Vast Intellect?
If not, you could increase its intelligence with wish.

Thurbane
2014-07-11, 01:53 AM
I would just leave the stats exactly the same, and just give it an Int of 3. Monster stat blocks are only representative of average members of their kind, anyway. So rust monsters only average 2 intelligence, but some exist with 1 or 3 intelligence.
Well, you could always slap the elite array on it if you don't want to increase HD - it's adds +1 CR, according to the improving monsters section of the SRD.

A rusty has Dex +6, Con +2, Int -8, Wis +2, Cha -2: so thrown the elite array in there, and you can get Str 10, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 15, Cha 13 (low Con since it will become undead).

Inevitability
2014-07-11, 03:43 AM
Corpse creature should do the trick. All you need is a dead rust monster and someone who can cast Create Undead.