PDA

View Full Version : [Week 2] Which is the Playground's favorite monster? - Dungeons and _______?

Yael
2014-07-10, 02:01 AM
Here is the point: We all put here our favorite creature/monster, and then at the end of each day "this" post will be updated with a table containing which creature has been selected and how many people do love it. At the end of the week we will see which monster is your favorite of the selected type or subtype. Every type and subtype will be randomly selected (by me, or at the forum dice, taking suggestions from you, fellow playgrounders,) or it could be in order, we'll see if this gets crowded enough. Remember that this isn't a competition, it is just a little game, so don't try to convince others to change their choices as they have their favorite monsters as you have yours. I'm not planning to show every nickname, so I want to order it from books/sources where they are found, also I will make a top 5 if we reach enough votes.

This week type/subtype is:

Dragon type!
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG76.jpg

My vote: My personal vote is aimed to the Deep Dragon, dwellers of the Underdrow (a joke, don't correct me :smallsmile:.) I love the Underdrow dwellers (as seen last week) so this hasn't changed this week, and when I found that there is an underdweller true dragon, I fell in love (not really, but yeah.) They don't have an amazing set of abilities, but their theme is just cool. Also I'll put another vote for the Time Dragon, why? Because Dialga :v Jk, I love time-related beings (Chronos though,) so another vote here!

The date to finish the count will be Thursday, July the 17th; from that point on, no vote will be added to the popularity table, but feel free to keep commenting your favorites.

The sources you can use to pick your favorite are on the list below, also if you have more than one favorite, don't hesitate to show it to us! No creature whose entry wasn't originally of the selected type is allowed (for example: if the week's monster type is: Dragon, no Dragonwrought Kobold is available, just creatures with the Dragon type as their base creature are allowed, in this case; DW Kobold got it fom a feat.) At the same time, no creatures that obtained their subtype are allowed to be chosen (for example, Dragonblood subtype week, no dragonborn human is allowed, because human wasn't originally intended to have dragonblood subtype, but its subtype is "dragonblood" because of the Dragonborn template; however Silverbrow human is allowed because its original subtype IS dragonblood.)

Creature
Source
Upvotes

Ambush Drake
Monster Manual III, p8

Amethyst Dragon
Monster Manual II, p79

Black Dragon
Monster Manual, p70

Blue Dragon
Monster Manual, p72

Brainstealer Dragon
Dragon Magazine #337, p24

Copper Dragon
Monster Manual, p82

Deep Dragon
Monsters of Faerûn, p40

Emerald Dragon
Monster Manual II, p82

Fang Dragon
Draconomicon, p159

Force Dragon
Epic Level Handbook, p182

Gold Dragon
Monster Manual, p84

Incarnum Dragon
Magic of Incarnum, p172

Pseudodragon
Monster Manual, p210

Purple Dragon
Dragon Compendium Vol. 1, p197

Red Dragon
Monster Manual, p75

Rust Dragon
Draconomicon, p186

Shadow Dragon
Draconomicon, p191

Silver Dragon
Monster Manual, p86

Spirit Dragon (Shen Lung)
Oriental Adventures, p159

Styx Dragon
Draconomicon, p187

Time Dragon
Dragon Magazine #359, p36

White Dragon
Monster Manual, p77

5th - Tie between Black Dragon, Blue Dragon, Brainstealer Dragon, Purple Dragon and Time Dragon.

4th - Shadow Dragon.
http://www.project-saros.com/actionpoints/files/2010/08/ShadowDragon.jpg
3rd - Force Dragon.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/Vxrazzn/force-dragon.jpg
2nd - Red Dragon.
http://www.pathguy.com/draconomicon.jpg
1st - Pseudodragon.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG210.jpg
• Any 3.0 Edition sourcebook.
• Any 3.5 Edition corebook & sourcebook.
• Any Dragon Magazine (add issue number.)
• Official online material allowed (include your link.)
• DragonLance Campaign.
• Eberron Campaign.
• Forgotten Realms Campaign.
• Kingdoms of Kalmar Campaign.
• Legend of the Five Rings Campaign.
• World of Warcraft RPG Edition.
• No Pathfinder.
• No homebrewed material.

[Week 1] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990) Aberration Type.
[Week 2] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361173-Week-2-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Dungeons-and-_______&p=17748761#post17748761) Dragon Type.

HammeredWharf
2014-07-10, 02:41 AM
My vote goes to the Pseudodragon. It's almost a dragon, but almost a cat. It can be your best friend or the annoying little critter that follows you around with its unbeatable Hide check and sings pirate songs telepathically. Just look at it (http://nerdworthygames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dan__s_Pseudodragon_by_d4rk1n.jpg)! It's D&D's most charming little guy.

Yael
2014-07-10, 02:45 AM
My vote goes to the Pseudodragon. It's almost a dragon, but almost a cat. It can be your best friend or the annoying little critter that follows you around with its unbeatable Hide check and sings pirate songs telepathically. Just look at it (http://nerdworthygames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dan__s_Pseudodragon_by_d4rk1n.jpg)! It's D&D's most charming little guy.

Hahaha, lmso at that hahaha.

I know! These things are lovely (for a dragon.)

Inevitability
2014-07-10, 03:04 AM
Gonna vote for Pseudodragon too. Because Pseudodragon.

That, and they are terrific little bastards when a DM decides to give them mindsight and puts it where it covers a whole dungeon. Scouting + Communication as a CR 1 monster!

facelessminion
2014-07-10, 03:10 AM
My vote will have to go to the Fang Dragon. While I am a fan of all flavors of dragons, the image of one that foregoes spellcraft or breath weapons to just be a horrible, spike-encrusted bruiser is quite appealing to me. (As is the upping your damage dice as a half-fang, om nom.)

Hurnn
2014-07-10, 03:17 AM
Well you put his picture up already so im going red. They really are my favorite, they can be anything from rampaging monster to scheming evil manipulator, working behind 15 layers of minions.

TheCrowing1432
2014-07-10, 03:20 AM
Ambush Drakes. They are Draconic Wolves that communicate telepathically.

Kaegro
2014-07-10, 03:37 AM
My vote goes to the Shen-Long dragon. I love Oriental Adventures.

Raezeman
2014-07-10, 03:40 AM
one vote for the time dragon!

Vaster
2014-07-10, 04:00 AM
Why going exotic? The Red dragon is et always will be the most iconic Dragon of all.
All players love when they can finally prep themselves to fight one of those.

Yael
2014-07-10, 04:20 AM
My vote goes to the Shen-Long dragon. I love Oriental Adventures.

You mean the Shen Lung, right?

Kaegro
2014-07-10, 04:29 AM
You mean the Shen Lung, right?

Yes I meant to say Shen Lung.

Twilightwyrm
2014-07-10, 04:29 AM
I should preface this by saying I do very much like Silver Dragons and Chiang Lung Dragons.

However, my vote must go to the Red Dragons. Not sure why, I'm not even that found of the covetousness, but rather with the whole draconic fury of the inferno thing.

sideswipe
2014-07-10, 05:27 AM
well i think im going to have to say.... my top 3 favourite dragons in descending order

1. pseudo dragon - just awwwwwwwwwwwwww

2. some sort of venerable dragonwraught kobold paladin.

3. force dragon

weckar
2014-07-10, 05:42 AM
Dragon Type eh?

DRAGONITE, I CHOOSE YOU!!!! :smallbiggrin:

No, but seriously, my vote goes to the Rust Dragon

Amphetryon
2014-07-10, 05:59 AM
One vote for the Shadow Dragon *dodges dice from my players*

Threadnaught
2014-07-10, 06:02 AM
Force Dragon. :smallbiggrin:

The exact same kind you'd find in Morrowind.

Eldan
2014-07-10, 06:05 AM
Black Dragon. I like the look and I like swamps.

Yael
2014-07-10, 06:12 AM
well i think im going to have to say.... my top 3 favourite dragons in descending order

1. pseudo dragon - just awwwwwwwwwwwwww

2. some sort of venerable dragonwraught kobold paladin.

3. force dragon

Because of the restrictions of the thread, only Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold won't be counted, but as a Dragon itself, it's an interesting choice for your favorites.

sideswipe
2014-07-10, 06:49 AM
Because of the restrictions of the thread, only Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold won't be counted, but as a Dragon itself, it's an interesting choice for your favorites.

i understand. venerable pun pun was just a joke :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Cliché
2014-07-10, 07:53 AM
For me, it's:

1) Shadow Dragon (I love these guys, though the lack of lore and such on them always saddens me).

2) Deep Dragon (Interesting lore, nice design and an interesting mix of abilities).

3) Pseudodragon (Because, who wouldn't want a pet dragon? :smallwink:)

sideswipe
2014-07-10, 07:57 AM
3) Pseudodragon (Because, who wouldn't want a pet dragon? :smallwink:)

yeh in one of my campaign this happened, i sent a pair of pseudo dragons after the party at level 2 and the druid and the fighter just grappled them and tied them up. sold one and kept the other. they are apparently worth a lot i found out.

Brookshw
2014-07-10, 08:08 AM
Force dragon, because force doesn't need nice things.

(psuedodragons are pretty cool though).

Kol Korran
2014-07-10, 11:06 AM
i personally very much love Blue dragons. I like their color scheme, their appearance with that strange horn up their head, and nearly every art I've seen with them they looked awesome.

I would have voted red dragons for the iconic trason, but for some reason blue dragons feel far more... Bad ass dragons to me.

So blue dragons it is.

(Close second- Shadow dragon. Freaking marvelous creatures, they freak the hell out of my players!)

Vaz
2014-07-10, 11:22 AM
One vote for the Shadow Dragon *dodges dice from my players*

I'm intrigued.

I pretty much cannot choose. Sapphire Dragons, Cobalt Dragons, Tungsten Dragons, Steel Dragons, Styx Dragons, even Incarnum Dragons (although i houserule they gain Soulborn Progression at x2/age category).

Argh...

Sapphire Dragon for me, was because it was the first ever full powered dragon encounter, using its Skate ability to scoot all around the battlefield, hiding in and around its holes, made a real challenge for my party, who began using tactics that were more than 'hit it' and began to make the environment suit them more. Was really quite proud.

Cobalt Dragons - because Fus Ro Dah. Had one of these knock me all over a mountainside, and since then fell in love with its unique mechanics.

Tungsten - just looks so damn cool.

Steel dragons for being the most playable of dragons.

Styx can be the ones who become your typical 'sea wyrm' providing powerful mundane challenge at lower levels, and scaling up later on. Also the fluff behind them is pretty ace, burrowing between the planes and the river styx.

Then there is incarnum dragons. Lovely idea, but mechanically kinda suck,especially compared to others.

Gonna have to go for Styx Dragons.

137beth
2014-07-10, 11:26 AM
I'm going to go with Force Dragon. Good, solid epicness.

Magesmiley
2014-07-10, 11:29 AM
I think I have to go with the black dragon as it has stood out time and again as one that my players have truly come to fear and hate. I also find that it seems to be my go to dragon type when I need one for a game.

Hazrond
2014-07-10, 11:30 AM
Emerald dragon (MM2) all day every day, I love the abilities of this dragon and plus emeralds r my favorite gemstone :)

.Zero
2014-07-10, 11:45 AM
There's a lot of cool-er and stronger dragons, but my heart belongs to the red dragon. Great wyrm red dragon. Badassness.

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-10, 11:57 AM
I'm rather fond of silver dragons. I think part of it is the alternate form ability, along with their habit of mingling with humanoids, while pretending to be humanoid. There's hardly anything quite as funny as the true seeing wizard walking into a small village and seeing a great wyrm silver dragon that everyone else just assumes is Jetthro the friendly human nomad.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-10, 11:59 AM
Stuck between Sand, Purple, and Fang.
Some good times with Fang Dragons, and Sand's I think just look baller.
But raw power is it's own sales pitch, so at the end of the day,
PURPLE

Gildedragon
2014-07-10, 12:16 PM
1) Copper: they are tricksy and fun and their knowledge coveting natures make them interesting but amicable opponents
2) pseudo dragons (omg so cute!)
3) Kobolds: quintessential enemies, and great tinkerers. They started as a joke race and they've gotten pretty good fleshing out as a race and culture in RoD. Shame about those stats tho...

ddude987
2014-07-10, 12:55 PM
A psudeodragon. Now now, I hate to be mainstream here, but they're just amazing. Ever since I was... idk, but young... and played dnd, I wanted one as a pet.

edit: Not sure if I can cast 2 votes, but if I can, Blue Dragons are just after my own heart. Skie is just omfgwtfbbq one of my favorite characters, even if he isn't a regular blue dragon. Plus who doesn't want to shoot lightning from their maw... lightning looks so much cooler than fire.

Jergmo
2014-07-10, 01:30 PM
Red dragon, all the way!

Socksy
2014-07-10, 01:51 PM
I have the most adorable little Amethyst Dragon in my campaign right now, so I'm going to have to go for that!

Yael
2014-07-10, 03:28 PM
I really appreciate the enthusiasm, and the Pseudodragon hype is wow.

Irk
2014-07-10, 05:48 PM
I'm going with Incarnum Dragon.

harveyslayer
2014-07-10, 07:06 PM
Red dragons for the win

Werephilosopher
2014-07-10, 07:32 PM
I'm going with the purple dragon for this one.

Hazrond
2014-07-10, 07:47 PM
Could someone kindly explain the time dragon to me?

Silva Stormrage
2014-07-10, 08:04 PM
Have to go with Shadow Dragons. They work really well as ambushers and debuffers. Life drain + spell drain feats make them really effective against casters as well.

toapat
2014-07-10, 08:16 PM
I have the most adorable little Amethyst Dragon in my campaign right now, so I'm going to have to go for that!

Amethyst do have the best breath weapons of all. Although they kinda get screwed what with Psionics being inferior for buffing. Still my favorite type of dragon

Followed immediately by Pseudodragon, because its a pet dragon

Could someone kindly explain the time dragon to me?

CR99 Intensified Timestop at will

Vhaidara
2014-07-10, 09:32 PM
Shadow Dragon. Ever since Baldur's Gate II, I've loved the things. One of my old freeform characters actually used a bow made of the soul of a god-tier shadow dragon. Yes, it totally corrupted him over time. Twas much fun.

But in game terms, I don't feel you can get a much scarier breath weapon than negative levels. I mean, that's just mean.

Hazrond
2014-07-10, 09:44 PM
CR99 Intensified Timestop at will

wow that is... :eek:

toapat
2014-07-10, 10:08 PM
wow that is... :eek:

Its breath weapon does (Dragonic age category) Years + (A) Con of damage. Oh, and you are thrown a number of rounds that far forward in time as well

Oh, and they can take anywhere between 1 hour and 24000 years to reach full maturity.

Svata
2014-07-10, 10:25 PM
Top three in order.
1. Silver
2. Force
3. Pseudo

Yael
2014-07-11, 03:36 PM
2-day hype about Pseudodragons, now it has calmed down a bit. Because I already gave out two votes, I don't wanna be unfair and add more (even though three or more votes are allowed.)

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/129/c/6/chibi_blue_eyes_white_dragon_by_raphtil-d3fzavv.jpgA White dragon, if you see it~

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CtWjdY5RS5o/UIj1eWxHCBI/AAAAAAAAAuY/GfXz4OmFSXQ/s1600/DragonQueen_color.jpg
Not exactly Tiamat, but if it is, she's not that scary anymore.

ddude987
2014-07-11, 03:37 PM
Those pictures SOOOO CUTEEE!!!

Leviting
2014-07-11, 04:00 PM
I had to check if they even counted as dragons first, but the Brainstealer Dragon steals my vote. The picture is so... [/i]perfect[i]

Dr. Cliché
2014-07-11, 04:52 PM
yeh in one of my campaign this happened, i sent a pair of pseudo dragons after the party at level 2 and the druid and the fighter just grappled them and tied them up. sold one and kept the other. they are apparently worth a lot i found out.

Well, every party needs a pet. :smallwink:

Have to go with Shadow Dragons. They work really well as ambushers and debuffers. Life drain + spell drain feats make them really effective against casters as well.

Did you house-rule it that Life Drain and Spell Drain work with the Shadow Dragon's breath weapon? Or, did he acquire them some other way?

Forrestfire
2014-07-11, 11:58 PM
I've always loved blue dragons, personally.

Inevitability
2014-07-12, 12:35 AM
I had to check if they even counted as dragons first, but the Brainstealer Dragon steals my vote. The picture is so... perfect

I... I looked it up with google.

Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. :smalleek:

Yael
2014-07-12, 01:09 AM
I... I looked it up with google.

Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. :smalleek:

http://i.imgur.com/nK8SCW8.jpg

They are awesome, though. For what I love aberrations ;)

Somensjev
2014-07-12, 03:54 AM
i'm going to have to vote for brainstealer dragon

Taveena
2014-07-12, 04:51 AM
I'll be honest - I love both Purple and Orange, but Purple's breath weapon is so over-the-top, and the fluff so much fun...

Purple.

erok0809
2014-07-12, 05:01 AM
My top 3, in order:

1. Shadow Dragon
2. Fang Dragon
3. Force Dragon

All of them are just too cool!

Crimson Wolf
2014-07-12, 05:33 AM
Pseudodragons, has to be Pseudodragons. Things are absolutely adorable, and can be so awesome to have tag along as long as you treat them as the most precious thing in the world, which they are o3o

MrNobody
2014-07-12, 07:09 AM
I had to check if they even counted as dragons first, but the Brainstealer Dragon steals my vote. The picture is so... [/i]perfect[i]

YES! Brainstealer dragon Ftw! Because he can smash you with his body, destroy you with spells/power, break your mind... and then have a nice pic-nique with your brain!

iceman10058
2014-07-12, 01:48 PM
Im sorry, but it has to be the red dragon, it is the most iconic, and when people thing of how a dragon acts and fights, it is that of a red dragon

i mean, honestly, they are the only ones that will spare your town for a virgin sacrifice! says so in draconomicon

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-12, 01:50 PM
Im sorry, but it has to be the red dragon, it is the most iconic, and when people thing of how a dragon acts and fights, it is that of a red dragon

i mean, honestly, they are the only ones that will spare your town for a virgin sacrifice! says so in draconomiconYeah, they are definitely a solid second favorite for me.

Buufreak
2014-07-12, 06:51 PM
one vote for the time dragon!

Yup, gotta go with the absolute "I win" power of the time dragon.

Snowbluff
2014-07-12, 06:54 PM
Pseuodragon. I had a couple, including one in a PF adventure path. My main one is Zoe, though. She's totally adorable. :smallbiggrin:

Out of true dragons, I'd go gold.

Leviting
2014-07-12, 08:23 PM
Yup, gotta go with the absolute "I win" power of the time dragon.

I am unfamiliar with the time dragon. Is it like a super epic draconic Phane or something?

Forrestfire
2014-07-12, 08:39 PM
It's an epic dragon that, at higher age categories, has what amounts to at-will Time Stop (on top of all the other epic dragon goodies). Its breath weapon is age category years and Con drain, and at Great Wyrm, it has free time travel whenever it wants to out of combat.

Brookshw
2014-07-13, 01:03 AM
It's an epic dragon that, at higher age categories, has what amounts to at-will Time Stop (on top of all the other epic dragon goodies). Its breath weapon is age category years and Con drain, and at Great Wyrm, it has free time travel whenever it wants to out of combat.

I'm really curious now how well different ages of the time dragon would do one on one vs. A phane.

Beardbarian
2014-07-13, 04:33 AM
Force Dragon is just AWESOME

toapat
2014-07-13, 11:01 AM
I'm really curious now how well different ages of the time dragon would do one on one vs. A phane.

It wins.

I dont even know what a phane is and i can tell you the Time dragon wins at equivalent CRs

Forrestfire
2014-07-13, 11:04 AM
A higher-age Time Dragon is highly likely to have (Greater) Celerity and Foresight up, meaning that it can, if it wants, Celerity -> chain time stops indefinitely -> selective spell Anti-Magic Field (or normal, honestly), then sit on the Phane until it dies (since summon past time duplicate is [Sp]).

Leviting
2014-07-13, 02:31 PM
It wins.

I dont even know what a phane is and i can tell you the Time dragon wins at equivalent CRs

I don't know a Time Dragon's CR, but a Phane is an abomination that can summon duplicates of its opponents from the past to fight against their future selves. It looks like an all black centaur thing with mist

Forrestfire
2014-07-13, 03:06 PM
Time Dragons start at CR 26, then go up to 90 at maximum age.

Leviting
2014-07-13, 04:03 PM
Time Dragons start at CR 26, then go up to 90 at maximum age.

Thanks. I checked, and a phane starts at CR 25, then gets Hit dice advancement from there, whatever that's worth

Yael
2014-07-14, 03:16 AM
I love how this is going, but it's enough with Time Dragon, what experiences do you have with the Pseudodragon, or with Elemental Drakes?

Killer Angel
2014-07-15, 12:52 AM
White dragon.

Sorry, I like the look.

Snowbluff
2014-07-15, 01:00 AM
I love how this is going, but it's enough with Time Dragon, what experiences do you have with the Pseudodragon, or with Elemental Drakes?

So I'm playing an adventure path in PF, and we have to do one of those chase things.

"Majenko, sting her."

Encounter over.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-15, 01:01 AM
White dragon.

Sorry, I like the look.

I think the Zombie White in the Draconomonomocion is some of the most baddonkey artwork out there.
Comparable only to the blue vs wraiths pic.

So, I see Pseudodragon is pulling ahead pretty hard.

So I'm playing an adventure path in PF, and we have to do one of those chase things.

"Majenko, sting her."

Encounter over.

I laughed way too hard at this.

Yael
2014-07-15, 03:38 AM
We are at three days from the limit, no more hype?

Ser Charles
2014-07-15, 04:08 AM
1- Black Dragon, the first real dragon fight I had as a player was against a really cool black dragon on its own, creepy lair. Stagnant, black, interconnecting pools and corridors, troglodyte minions and an awesome fight.

2- Blue dragon, I like the imagery of Blues so much it is the first dragon type I ever used as a DM. I used it so badly the PCs butchered it so easily I'm still annoyed at myself! (Well not really, lesson learned)

3- Copper Dragon. Choosing a third place was hard but I'm going to choose copper dragons. I love using them as friendly NPCs, I can visualise them going out if their way to help adventurers, whether the PCs appreciate it or not!

Yael
2014-07-17, 10:53 PM
This week has come to its end.

The Cat Dragon owned at the first place in popularity~

Nice to see this is growing :D