PDA

View Full Version : DM Help AFMBE - Humans As Enemies

Kharthus0716
2014-07-10, 10:57 AM
So i am going through the rules for AFMBE, and i was thinking to myself, the zombies are denoted with power levels, and you can change them around, and make them more or less powerful, but what about other survivors? What about people who live in the rest of the outside world, and want to murder you for one reason or another? Shouldn't they have power levels? So that you can tell if it would be a good idea for your party to be attacked by them, and not worry too much that the whole party will die?

Maybe it is just up to my discretion, or maybe i just missed a sourcebook. Anyway, any info is appreciated

ZenoForce88
2014-07-10, 06:57 PM
I only got into the system a couple weeks ago, so I could completely be off in my thinking. But as far as i can tell human's only have 2 "Power Levels". The first being the Normie who are significantly weaker then survivors, basically little more then "Minions" or "Cannon-Fodder" NPCs. Then you have the Survivors, and Inspired, which i see as even considering their metaphysics, expectantly if you a low the more robust magic system from Witchcraft to be ported over.

The Zombie generation rules basically gives you a more streamlined character creation for zombies, so that you can do them quickly and possibly on the fly. Quickly generating Primary and Secondary Attributes, as well as dealing with Drawbacks and Qualities without having to constantly reference those sections of the book. These parts equally putting Zombies level with Normies or Survivors depending on the ones you pick. What, to me, really seems to give zombies a boost, is their special powers, powers that not even the Inspired are able to branch into.

But humans have their own verson of "powers"(which some zombies could, unfairly, branch into :smallsmile: ) These powers being accessible by all humans of any "level". That would be Equipment. 5 Normies armed with whatever blunt object they could get a hold of are going to stomped by Survivors with firearms, assuming the Survivors actually have the skill to use them.

Human enemies get more complex then zombies, but using average rolls, compared to your PCs, and the possible Enemy Human's Stats will give you a decent idea of how they compare, and in turn essentially tell you how difficult the encounter will be.

Of course, once again, I could be completely off as I am new to the system, though my small degree of arrogance makes me think I'm right, sense this method has worked so well when I run the game. :smallbiggrin:

Vixer
2016-12-18, 02:16 AM
IMO The power levels for zombies are easily referenced because, as zombies, they all correlate to a bigger threat in terms of combat seeing as they always wish to eat all the flesh.

Humans are more complex, but I have a suggestion which may help.
You could specifically take the combat-oriented skills and assign values to them, combining them with the total attribute points, and essence pools, to create some frame of reference for human "power" levels.

If you do this for your own groups' characters, you'll have a frame of reference for what you can throw at them without being too cruel. Unless of course that's the idea, and they make the smart move to make a tactical retreat, follow them back to their camp, and plan their attack for bountiful loot.

Keep in mind that in a colony, many survivors survive based on their skills of resourcefulness and not necessarily their combat prowess. Even though they will fight for the sake of survival. So if your group is attacking them, there should always be a mix of some kind.

As such, you can combine combat-weak and combat-superior forces to attack your group with in order to make it more realistic and "dilute" the danger of them individually for strength in numbers. Of course take into consideration ranged & melee on both sides.
So let's say for example:

You have 3 party members: Party member A (66 power) Party member B (49 power) party member C (54 power)
For a total of 169 power of your group.

Imagine throwing at them: Raider A (25) Raider B (32) Raider C (25) Raider D (60) Raider E (37)\
For a total of 169