PDA

View Full Version : Unearthing Secrets, Part 1 - Just Deserts

Grimtina
2014-07-10, 11:54 AM
Your ship, a sturdy galleon, has arrived at the metropolis called Dholmaant several hours ago, yet none of you had been given permission to leave the ship. The captain of the Wind Mate is currently in one office or the other, explaining the purpose of your expedition.

While the journey has been mostly boring - not counting the one encounter with a curious water elemental - the metropolis (http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/an523e86dd.jpg) stretching out before you is nothing short of amazing. Sure, there are a few really big cities back home, too, but not like this.

A low wind brushes the waves and makes the ship in the natural harbor move up and down a little faster. It is warm, but not hot, but then, you are not in the desert yet. The First Mate of the ship is out and about trying to find you a smaller "shore creeper" as he calls it, to carry you along the coast closer to your destinated excavation area, but despite being friendly and seemingly welcoming, the population here also seems a bit dense towards your wishes, or maybe they are just pretending not to understand. You mostly see different sorts of elves, humans and halflings - or hobbits as they go by here - and mixes thereof, with the occassional gnome, as far as you can see. A few of those are probably from or close from the desert, but as this is a new land, you can't really be sure.

An official looking dark skinned elf, dressed in a washed out blue robe, red worn out boots and a strange, round hat with stains on it purposefully strides up the gangway. A small book in hand, and a strange looking pencil behind his left ear, he smiles at you widely and says something in so thick an accent it is barely recognizable in elvish to those who speak or at least have heard the language.

Fangren
2014-07-10, 03:07 PM
Cali Denout stood off to the side, watching the people on the ship with little interest. Though certainly relieved to have finally arrived at Dholmaant, the half-elven woman had never been one to get involved in matters she had no skill in. After all, she had been hired for for her deft hands and useful knowledge, not because she was of any particular use in social situations - let the expedition leader handle the officials.

She turned her gaze towards the metropolis, and wiped a lock of red hair out of her face. The port city was certainly different from her squalid home. The unfamiliarity both unsettled and excited her, on one hand offering plenty of new opportunities to explore and learn and discover, while still feeling just about out of her league.

She allowed herself a small smile before setting off to look for her companions.

Vhaidara
2014-07-10, 03:53 PM
As Jing gets off the boat, still a little sick from the voyage, some fop elf comes up to her and starts badgering her about some newspaper in a completely unintelligible accent. She plants her feat and tries to keep her voice calm.
<Elven>I don't give a damn about your stupid paper. Especially if you can't even speak a language I understand.
And with that she stalks past him.

ereinion
2014-07-10, 04:57 PM
Imryn has somehow found a chair which hasn't been nailed to the decks of the cabins, and moved it abovedeck. Now he is sitting in it, studying the city intently, carefully balancing the parasol he bought before they set out on the journey to protect him from the sun. His blonde hair is ruffled by the wind, but after several days on the seas it is getting quite saturated with salt and grease, if only the imbecile captain of the ship could get the paperwork in order so that they could go ashore! Imryl can't wait to get ashore, and starting collecting information about this mostly unknown continent. Oh, and a bath in something that isn't seawater is going to be quite nice too.

Lost in thought, he doesn't even notice the darkskinned elf entering the ship, until he hears him speak in some very broken elvish, and Jing replying something about a paper. Deciding that it is probably just more useless beuracracy, Imryl goes back to studying the city, looking for any distinct landmarks, trying his best to ignore the talking near the gangplank.

Smileybastard
2014-07-10, 08:31 PM
Akkad

Akkad sits on the edge of the abandoned crows nest looking over the city, his legs dangling free. It would be good to be off this ship and off the sea. He was born on land and land is where he belongs.

Grimtina
2014-07-11, 03:54 AM
With an air of just being insulted, the dark skinned elf mumbles more in his weird dialect and continues up the plank until he jumps off onto the ship. The dwarf cook, who had been eyeing the new arrival suspiciously, steps up to him. "Can't come on here without the captain's permission," he says very slowly, in case the man's common is as bad as his elvish accent.

A blank stare from the elf seems to mean that indeed the dwarf isn't understood. With a sigh, the cook grabs the elf's elbow and steers the protesting man off the ship again.

At the end of the plank, Jing is stopped by a grim looking pair of halfling guards, but at this moment, the captain hurries towards the ship, holding up several documents for the halflings to see. "It's ok, we have permission now!"

While the halflings study the papers, the captain grins at Jing. "Unbelievable as it is, almost no one speaks common again. Seems their version of common is different in each area, and an old elven accent is what's used most of the time. Took them abo9ut half an hour to even get the idea that they might need a spell to understand me!"

smerdyakov
2014-07-11, 02:43 PM
Izz al-Din Fahri Sala

Awed by the sheer size of Dholmaant, and the beauty of its structures, Sala mostly ignores the strange elf and his strange speech, content to take in the sights of this new land. Let the bureaucrats handle the bureaucracy. I'm certainly not here to deal with that, nor am I equipped to. As the monk pushes past the dark elf and is stopped by the halfling guards, and the elf is stopped by the cook, Sala sighs and turns to Izaro, his dapple gray mare. He addresses her in Ignan, a language passed down through the elven side of his family for generations, though none were quite sure how they came to know it originally.

*Izaro* Calm. We'll be there soon. Wherever it is.

To Sala's relief, before either situation escalates, the captain returns. His good-naturedness reassures the ranger, who is eager to get on their way.

Vhaidara
2014-07-11, 02:49 PM
Wonderful. They don't even speak properly here. That is going to make this expedition a pain.
Jing is clearly in one of her usual bad moods. She glares at the halflings, then at the captain.
So, since that is taken care of, can we go?

Grimtina
2014-07-11, 05:38 PM
"Yes, you are free to go now. I don't think any boat is going down the coast anytime soon though, something about whale mating season." The captain shruggs his shoulders and grins. "But the First Mate says from what he found out, their street system is quite good - up to a point." The captain's eyes follow the dark skinned elf down the docks. "Ah yes, that must be the... reporter I was told about. Seems people here are so bored they want to know every little thing happening in the city. My guess is it won't be a favorable note about us, then."

Fangren
2014-07-11, 06:45 PM
Cali joined the wild man and the not-so-little archer girl by the captain, looking bored but ready. The elvish reporter had been sent away rather rudely by Jing, though Cali thought the situation could have been handled better. Not like it was likely to matter; the favor of a local newspaper didn't seem particularly important to the success of their expedition.

At least they'd finally gotten permission to leave the ship. Now it was just a matter of waiting for the others to show up, and they could finally get down to business.

ereinion
2014-07-11, 06:51 PM
Seeing that the rest of the party is getting ready to leave the ship, Imryn stands up and joins them.

"So, the papers are finally in order. It was about time!"

Smileybastard
2014-07-11, 07:09 PM
Akkad

Akkad smiles, amused by the activity below. After a few minutes of watching he decides it is times and climbs part way down and then drops to the deck below with a smile on his face.

Grimtina
2014-07-12, 05:56 AM
The smell of fish and strange spices drift over the docks, and street vendors try to peddle their wares from many streets and alleys going off the main harbor. The mix of people of different races is as versatile here as it is back home; just that they wear different styles of clothing - some loose garments probably showing that the owner comes from a warm area, and some in leather and wool likely meaning the wearer comes from the cooler zones. The latter folks are mostly seen with rolled up and bound up sleeves and legs, and many people, no matter their likely origins, have decided to wear as little clothing as possible. This results in some very unlikely outfits. An archer guard standing on a raised platform looking over the water leans against a support with bare chest, short pants and only slippers, while his hands and arms are protected by leather up to the shoulders. Whatever he is smoking smells sweet and slightly intoxicating. A female elf guide leads a group of very outlandish looking, sweating gnomes (their multilayered, wildly colored cloaks and vests definitely denoting a new arrival) through the harbor to one of the major alleyways. She wears nothing but a colorful, bejeweled bra-like garment and a short skirt. Her legs are in strange looking simple boots with steel caps, which seems very at odds with the rest of her wear. Such an abundant display of skin would probably be seen as indecent in most of your baronies. Such strange mixes of styles can be seen a lot, especially among the gnomes and halflings.

Most people pay no attention to you, but a few throw curious glances, politely trying not to stare.

(Perception check for everyone coming off the ship)

Vhaidara
2014-07-12, 06:28 AM
Jing sees an elderly gnome watching the group as they get off the ship, and she quickly maneuvers towards him.
What the hells are you looking at, little man?

smerdyakov
2014-07-12, 12:56 PM
Sala's ears perk up at the captain's words. Whales? I wonder if we can see them. Hopeful that he can, he pats Izaro on the nose and exits the ship, immediately entranced by the unusual people and their revealing dress.

Smileybastard
2014-07-12, 01:33 PM
Akkad

Akkad follows the group, amused by their responses and reactions. He tips his head towards Jing. "A little sensative are we? Or just spoiling for a fight?"

smerdyakov
2014-07-13, 12:16 PM
Not exactly ready for trouble, especially considering the short time they've been here, Sala approaches the monk and the fighter. He shrugs at Akkad and says, Jing, come on, hoping she recognizes the sense of urgency with which he speaks. Leave him, at least for now. He gestures to a thin dwarf twirling a chain at a nearby booth, eyeing the group expectantly. He looks like he might be able to help us. Shall we?

Grimtina
2014-07-13, 01:09 PM
The gnome pretends to not have heard you, sitting up a bit straighter like someone trying to ignore an impolite stranger. His eyes are now out on the water.

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 01:12 PM
Jing glares at the gnome for a moment, before turning to join Sala.
Are you making fun of me, Akkad? Do you really think that's a good idea right now?

Smileybastard
2014-07-13, 03:26 PM
Akkad

Akkad nods and grins slightly. "Certainly seems like I am. I think it makes a lot more sense than shouting out challenges at the natives."

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 03:33 PM
Jing looks like shes about to try and punch Akkad, but stops herself. She takes a few deep breathes.
Your right. I guess I was just on edge. You saw me out there the entire trip,head over the rails. Then we finally get in and some elf gets in our way. I really was just looking for a fight. I apologize.
She gives him a slight bow.

smerdyakov
2014-07-13, 04:37 PM
Sala shakes his head, unsure how to react to his companions, and simply walks toward the chain-twiddling dwarf. He has one thing on his mind. Hello. Do you know where we can see the whales?

Smileybastard
2014-07-13, 05:17 PM
Akkad

Akkad tips his head in return. "I would expect no less from you if I was acting that way. It has been a long trip and tried us all."

Akkad smiles at Jing. "You'll do just fine, we can watch each others backs."

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 05:21 PM
Jing gives him a small smile in return.
I hope you're right.
She chuckles as Sala asks the dwarf about whales.
And here I would have thought we'd all be tired of the sea and its denizens.

Smileybastard
2014-07-13, 05:27 PM
Akkad

"I hear whales are pretty remarkable, but as we can't even travel that way due to them, I doubt we will be able to see them. Me, I'm just happy to have my feet on the ground."

Akkad looks at Jing's bow. "I take it, you are good with that?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 05:32 PM
She nods.
Top of the class. Got kicked out of the monastery for hunting at night.

smerdyakov
2014-07-13, 06:19 PM
Sala is momentarily embarrassed at his lack of focus. Oh, yes. I suppose we've other concerns above whales. My interest got away from me. It's just I've, uh, never seen one. Perhaps soon.

Grimtina
2014-07-13, 06:59 PM
The dwarf smiles widely, revealing splendid teeth. Just now you notice what's so strange about his face. The left half has no beard; instead the long beard from the right side is wrapped over the left side in tiny braids and then fixed to a weird looking earring. "Whales, eh?" He asks in a surprisingly clear common. "Only way t'see them this time o'year is from t'shore side. But rumor has it yer planning t'go south anycase. If yer lucky, you'll see them. An' hear them, too. They sing, ya see. A really wonderous thing t'behold."

Then he gives a short bow. "Name's Margolon Raderik Rightbeard. I happen t'have overheard yer First Mate asking 'round fer someone t'take ya desert-bound 'fore some tidwit convinced him t'try out t'local ale. Not much t'try, mind ya, but then ye mightta been outta ale fer a while out there." He vaguely points out to sea. "Anycase, I'm a good guide, one o't'best, an' free fer hire, too."

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 07:05 PM
Jing's eyes narrow.
Now, why is it that your services are free?

Smileybastard
2014-07-13, 07:38 PM
Akkad

Akkad looks at the dwarf as if he is about to hear a grand tale of fish proportions. "I would like to hear about these free services myself."

ereinion
2014-07-13, 07:56 PM
Leaving it to the others to negotiate with what seems to become their guide, Imryn glances over at the people he saw watching them earlier, trying to memorize their faces.

I wonder what their interest in us are... They seem a bit to nonchalant to be spies, and it seems unlikely there is much opposition to our quest on this continent. I doubt there is much interest in the items we seek, beyond their pure monetary value. Most likely the greatest problems we will face is how to transport ourselves to it, and how to deal with a climate that's so different from our own.

He scans the crowd again, taking in all the strange sights.

Not to mention the difference in culture.

Rousing himself from his thoughts, he tries to pay closer attention to what's going on. After all, he'll be relying on these people in the months to come, so it'd be better to at least attempt to build a sense of cameraderie.

Trying to hide the low thoughts he has for these savage brutes, who rely on their muscles to solve their problems, he gives an obviously fake smile and says.

"I am afraid I didn't get to talk too much with you while on the boat, I am afraid my mind was too distracted by trying to delve into the mysteries of the arcane to have much time for chatter. I do look forward to travelling with you though, I just hope that we won't need to have too much use of those weapons of yours."

smerdyakov
2014-07-14, 08:26 AM
Addressing the human-looking elf, Sala says, We'll have plenty of time together later, I'm sure. And I hope you're correct about the weapons, before turning back to the dwarf. I also hope Mr. Rightbeard is correct regarding those whales. They sing, you say? That's fantastic.

Catching himself getting carried away again with thoughts of magnificent sea creatures, he pauses briefly. Forgive my rudeness, please. My name is Izz al-Din Fahri Sala. We are heading south, yes. Pardon my colleagues, sir, but I believe they may have misunderstood you, unless it is I who misunderstood. When you said you were "free," you meant you were available to guide us, no? Presumably you will require payment?

Noticing Imryn looking at the group who seemed to be taking notes on the expedition members as they left the ship, Sala practically interrupts his own question, and quietly asks Rightbeard, Do you know these men? They seem quite interested in us.

Grimtina
2014-07-14, 09:36 AM
"I require little payment, ya see. Food and drink, an' if we run inta some good spoils, I'll ask fer a share. But main thing's that going down south is dangerous alone. I don't stay places t'long, an' so make little permanent friends. If yer love's with travelin' an' ya get none t'share it with in t'long run, yer'll need to find people who bare with ya fer t'short term." Then Rightbeard blinks at Sala. "An' yes, whale songs are not t'be forgotten once ya have heard. Sounds different under water than above, too. I don't know why that is, but that wizard from yer lands who taught me yer language claims it's fer the water is thicker than air. Clever man, that one was, by my right beard."

The group standing next to an empty boot which had been watching your group begins to disperse silently as they notice you are talking to the dwarf. One betrays himself with a frown, making it clear he's not too happy with this development.

Fangren
2014-07-14, 11:44 AM
With the little group assembled, Cali takes her first steps off the ship in what feels like ages. She idly looks around, but the masses largely hold no interest to her - even those watching the group are presumably nothing more than bystanders.

An elderly gnome diverts half the group's attention for no gain, and Cali's level of impatience shot up. And then Sala wasted even more time inquiring about whales of all things, though at least the oddly-bearded dwarf was rapidly becoming a worthwhile person to talk to. His reasons for approaching their group were both slightly suspicious and yet still entirely reasonable, and Cali almost wished she'd learned to read people better in her time with the Thieve's Guild back home. Still, she remained silent as the others conversed with the man, and raised a brow when they immediately misunderstood what he'd told them.

Out of the corner of her eye, Cali spotted several people who'd been watching the group begin to disperse. The obvious displeasure on one man's face suggested that he in particular, and perhaps the other people as well, had been rivals or competitors with Rightbeard, at least in terms of guiding travelers. Cali made a mental note to look out for potential enemies that their current guide prospect had already made.

The wizard, Imryn as she recalled, was currently trying to start a separate conversation in parallel to the one that actually mattered to Cali, which was certainly irksome. His air of self-importance certainly didn't make the young woman any more likely to pay attention to him; as far as Cali was concerned, interpersonal bonding could wait until the current business was resolved.

ereinion
2014-07-14, 04:24 PM
Hearing about danger makes Imryn eager to learn more of it, so that he better can prepare ways to avoid, or at the very least neutralize it. He hopes his choice of travelling gear, and his umbrella will be of some use when it comes to mitigating the terrible heat he's heard plagues the regions they are to explore, but if there is other dangers that may pop up, he wants to have the right spells prepared for dealing with them.

So despite his reluctance to deal with what is apparently some kind of vagabond dwarf, he approaches him and asks:

"It is dangerous heading down south, you say? May I ask why that is? Are there any particular menaces in the region?"

"Furthermore, you say it is dangerous travelling alone, but we are hardly alone. From what I've seen of my travelling companions while on the ship, we are a quite well-rounded group. I assume you have some qualities which will make us useful as we travel, but aside from being a local, what are they? Wouldn't we be better off waiting till we are closer to our destination to get a guide, so that we are certain that whoever we hire are sure to know the area we wish to visit?"

With a nod of his head he indicates the now dispersing group.

"Oh, and I would also like to know who those people are."

Grimtina
2014-07-15, 12:50 PM
"Ah," Rightbeard beams. "Ye must be a wizard. Askin' t'same questions as Rinubian, ye do. An' what may yer name be?"

ereinion
2014-07-15, 01:11 PM
"Oh, I am sorry for my rudeness," Imryn replies, not looking sorry in the least. "My name is Imryn Dhunnyl, and I hail from Zhaturan. Now that we're all properly introduced, is there any chance that you can answer our questions?"

I don't suppose there is any chance that I have heard of this Rinubian character? I assume it would be one of these modifiers I'd use to make a check?
http://i.imgur.com/iasqF9q.png?1

Grimtina
2014-07-15, 01:52 PM
Redbeard winks and chuckles. "Just like Rinubian indeed. Yer will do better than most, I persume. I'll have an eye on ye lest ye been eaten by unsavory things.

Well, wenn I was saying it's bad to travel alone, I was referring t'me, see? I'm going with groups fer safety, mine and, in most cases, theirs, too. Ann' yes, yer all well enough prepared or at least ye think ye are. But I'm from t'desert myself, I am, from t' Sandwalker tribe, an' even fer the natives it's no walking on roses down there, as them elves here say. I've traveled this part o't'world... continent, Rinubiuan called it - fer over 40 years. Been few spots I've been through, or at least have seen from afar. Never lost my bearings in the wild, either.

Also..." and he taps his nose, "I have a nose fer danger, I have. I was told it's running in my family, and there's an arcane name or t'other fer that sort o'thing. All I know is I see things happen sometime. But most important, I won't pretend t'be yer friend an' then proceed t'rob ya in the dead o'night, like those folks." He points his thumb over at the group that was just leaving. "Just rumors, them say, can't arrest anyone on rumors, but none of t'folks they've led out o't'city have ever come back."

yes, knowledge arcane or local pertaining to your homeland

ereinion
2014-07-15, 02:08 PM
Imryn considers Rightbeard's words.

"Hmm, I suppose it could be useful to have someone around who knows the ways of the locals. As for the desert, I am not too worried, I have read a great deal about how to deal with them in preparation of this journey, and feel confident that I have shored up for most contingencies. But I suppose there's no harm in letting you come along, you don't look to me like the type who turns on his companion. Then again one of my few flaws is that I am not too good a judge of characters, so maybe some of the other members of my group will like to chime in as well."

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 02:14 PM
Jing gladly adds her opinion, short though it is.
We're going to need a guide, and he needs a group to travel with. I don't see anyone losing here.

Grimtina
2014-07-15, 02:51 PM
"Yer can never be too careful, that's true enough." Redbeard gives another small bow.

You have heard of Rinubian; he was the only human ever to get into the Redfern Gnome Academy of High Arts (not the only non-gnome, though). He wrote a famous essay about summoning magic, illusions and the combining thereoff. Then he went off on a wild dragon chase to the southern continent and hasn't been heard from since.

smerdyakov
2014-07-15, 03:25 PM
Water thicker than air? Huh... Lost in thought, Sala misses much of the ensuing conversation, contemplating the theoretical differences between whale songs above and below the surface. I must hear this. I must!

Barely catching the end of Imryn's statement and Jing's response, Sala weighs in.

I'd be happy to have you join us. Your insights are already fascinating. I look forward to hearing more.

ereinion
2014-07-15, 03:54 PM
The dwarf's mention of Rinubian has sparked a bit of interest for the strange dwarf in Imryn.

"Hmm, I have heard that Rinubian travelled to this continent, but I can't quite recall what's been mentioned of where he ended up. So you travelled with him for a while? If you don't mind me asking, do you know what his goals were here on this continent? Or were he did end up? Maybe you will be an interesting travelling companion, after all."

Grimtina
2014-07-15, 06:44 PM
"So he wasn't just pretending 'bout being famous then! An' I thought he was just saying that t'impress me.

He's still alive, Rinubian, at least he was 5 or so red moons ago. He stayed behind at a new college fer magic far down t'southeast. Was working on some big thing 'bout selective summoning. He tried t'explain it t'me, too. O'course that was doing neither o'us any good. 2 blue moons after I left there, I heard the half-orc - an' half wit if ye ask me - o'college founder got himself killed in some foolminded cave expedition. They said Rinubian was asked t'take over. I plan t'go back there eventually an' find out what's become of him."

Then he smiles at the others. "Be glad t'tell ya all I can, an' I hope ye have some stories to share, too."

The blue moon (soul moon, ice moon, water moon, storm moon) and the red moon (blood moon, fire moon, lava moon, desert moon) are each about half as big as earth's moon and slowly circle each other while they circle the world. Astronomists are puzzled by the red moon's behavior, as it only shows up every 6 weeks (8 days a week) and then only for 3-5 days.

When this happens, the normally gentle tides change. Water retreats from the eat half of the world and floods part of the shores on the western half, and sometimes there are springtides. For this reason, settlements on western shores of both continents build their shoreside houses on strong pillars, while using the space underneath as open market with tents and similar structures.

While astronimers argue about if the red moon is cicrcling the blue moon in an ellipsoid orbit or if there is heavy magic involved, for the normal population it only matters for time keeping. 1 red moon = 4x8 days +3-5. The set of moons orbits the world in 2 weeks going through the phases as supposed to. Thus, for shorter time measurements, people will use the blue moon (half a blue moon, 2 blue moons etc) while they use the red moon for keeping track of months (6 weeks a month).

Days are roughly 26 hrs, separated in 13 hrs each half, where the 13th hour is said to be perfect for magic and religious rites. Thus, 13 is a lucky number for many, and an unlucky one for many more others. But the larger part of the population is just using this hour as customary rest from everything (on the north continent at least). At night, it is said to be the hour to bring most visions and important dreams.

9 red moons make up a year. Names for months and even weeks vary from area to area. Most commonly, they translate to midwinter moon, planting moon, harvest moon and similar things. To be more clear, most people will also add the months number as in "Harvest moon the 7th."

ereinion
2014-07-16, 09:49 AM
"Hah, maybe when this expedtion is over, I'll rely on you to take me to visit this school of magic he's joined. And a half-orc founded it you say? Huh, magic-users with orcish blood is somewhat unusual, I think. It is a shame he got himself killed, I'd have enjoyed talking with him. Though if he was a half-with as you claim, he can't have been much of a magician."

"Do you know what he sought in this expedition he went on, and why Rinubian thought the quest important enough that he took it up once the half-orc was dead?"

Imryn finds the news of Rinubian, the college of magic he's joined, and the quest he sets out on immensely interesting. But since he knows that he and the rest of his group has their own mission to fulfill, and that both he himself and the rest of them are likely to be eager to get started after many weeks at sea,; he attempts to gain some information on what is the best way forward for them too.

"But enough about that! Fascinating as it is, I am rather keen on getting started on our own mission. What do you suggest, is there any preparations we should do here in town before we set out, or is it better to get started as soon as possible?"

Grimtina
2014-07-16, 10:35 AM
"He was an ok wizard, the half-orc was, as far as I can judge such things. But ye know, he was hot blooded an' all, just like most of his heritage. He seemed t'do some things just t'show off. Anycase, I know too little of magic t'give ye a useful answer, but from what I understood, Rinubian tried t'find a spell making it possible t'summon exactly what he wanted, or who he wanted, at all times. Said his main problem was spell components.

Anycase, if ye need t'do more preparations depend on what ye all brought with ya. Most folks underestimate t'desert, an' indeed all wild lands, very badly."

smerdyakov
2014-07-16, 12:11 PM
Almost entirely unable to comprehend the discussion of wizardry and history, and not necessarily interested in it regardless of the level of his understanding, Sala stands by politely, imagining great singing beasts of the sea. As the conversation turns to their expedition, he asks the dwarf, Is there anything you might recommend? I can only speak for myself, but I believe I'm prepared for the journey. Still, you're the local and I trust your familiarity with the region. If you don't have any suggestions, I'll just retrieve my horse and the rest of my things from the ship and we can be on our way.

Grimtina
2014-07-16, 12:16 PM
"A horse is a good start, but ye need t'bring plenty of water, fer the animal and yeself." Rightbeard scratches his bread in thought. "I suppose no one else has mounts yet? I'd advise t'buy camels or sandlizards. Use little water an' can thread in deep sand, too. An' they can carry barrels o'water and crates o'food, so no need t'bother with any waggons. Fer the horse, some magic t'make it walk over sand might come handy. Not all t'desert is sand, mind ye, but a whole big part of it is, an' then t'sand tends to wander an' show up in unexpected places."

smerdyakov
2014-07-16, 12:43 PM
Thank you, your advice is much appreciated. To the members of the expedition he says, I have a modest amount of gold, so perhaps we can pool our resources and purchase a camel or sandlizard, or even more than one if we can afford it? I'd prefer not to starve or die of thirst, obviously, so stocking up on supplies beyond what I brought is an excellent idea.

Vhaidara
2014-07-16, 01:00 PM
Jing pulls a coin pouch from her waist.
I have a fair amount of money from selling game before coming here. And from cooking.

Since I got my weapon through a trait, I have 97gp

ereinion
2014-07-16, 02:45 PM
"Unfortuneately I spent most of my money in preparation of this trip, so I can't chip in for much."

"I did however purchase a mule and saddlebags to help us carry our supplies, but if they are not well suited to the desert I suppose we could try to swap it in for some other beast of burden."

So I have 13 gold I can chip in + a mule with saddlebags which we may or may not manage to trade in for something else.

Fangren
2014-07-16, 04:26 PM
Cali readily tunes out the conversation between the dwarf and the bearded elf about something-or-other, scanning the city in boredom. Her ears pricked up at the sound of the conversation finally turning to business, and she was quite relieved that the group had met up with someone who had useful knowledge and experience.

The moment money was mentioned with respect to pack animals, Cali did a quick count of her personal funds. "Very little in my purse," she said, speaking for the first time since they'd gotten to port. "A few gold and some change, but I'll add it all to the pool if it means we get going faster."

Grimtina
2014-07-18, 04:17 AM
"Mules aren't too bad in the desert, quite hardy animals," Rightbeard says. "Have enough sense t'hide behind the camels in a sandstorm, too, they do. An' not as slow as donkeys." Then he pauses and scratches his beard again. "Mayhap we could borrow camels from the Blood Oasis tribe of sandelves. They have a strange system, ya see, they say their animals are their family members, an' they don't sell em, especially not t'camels. They ask them t'go with someone else for a bit, an' if t'beast agrees, they'll lend it t'ya. Ot, in their words, it's free t'go with you on whatever mission. But ya need t'do yer best t'return it. Don't need t'bring it all t'way home; them's clever enough t'find their way back through all t'desert. All they ask is that they are treated well an' you give them a bit o'coin with home, like yer'd pay any person. None in their sane mind'll mess with a sandelf or their animals so they usually get home undisturbed. But they'll know if a camel or other animal dies fer whatever reason. An' that can be a real pain in t'foot if yer have neglected it's safety." He looks over the group. "Plus, they'll need t'like ya before they think 'bout lending any animal out."

Smileybastard
2014-07-18, 09:54 PM
Akkad

Akkad seems bored by the whole negotiations. "I have some money as well, but as he said, he doesn't need much."

smerdyakov
2014-07-18, 10:27 PM
Sala feels a sudden kinship with the sandelves due to their shared affinity for animals, and is immediately willing to meet them. Let me retrieve my horse and supplies and let's meet these Blood Oasins to borrow some camels and get going. Perhaps those who don't need to return to the ship can secure food and water and we can meet...well, I'm unfamiliar with the area. Somewhere close?

Grimtina
2014-07-18, 11:21 PM
"Just ask anyone fer t'south road plaza," Rightbeard grins. "Almost all caravans meet up there an' it's really the easiest way t'get on any trip lest ye want t'end up in t'nothern jungles."

Vhaidara
2014-07-18, 11:28 PM
Jing c0cks her head.
Sandlizards sound interesting. How would we go about getting one of those?

Grimtina
2014-07-21, 06:09 AM
"Sandlizards are fer sale from t'kobolds in t'camp south o't'city. Bit smelly, t'camp t'is, not t'sandlizards, but ye usually get good honest deals there." With a smooh movement, Rightbeard takes a small wooden pupe out of a pocket and starts filling it. "Just never tell a kobold that it looks like a rat. They think they are all decendents of dragons an' often act like it."

smerdyakov
2014-07-22, 12:30 PM
All the talk of strange and new animals is almost overwhelming, so Sala makes a decision to extricate himself before getting overly excited while the others decide what to do. I'm heading to the ship to retrieve my things. Anyone who cares to join me, please do. I don't anticipate we'll be gone long, and hopefully upon our return it will have been decided whether we take camels or sandlizards. I will see you here or at the south road plaza?

Without waiting for a response, he begins to walk back to the galleon. Looking over his shoulder, he shouts, Just a few moments, friends!

ereinion
2014-07-22, 12:54 PM
The mental exercise of figuring out how to organize the caravan, gets Imryn's mental gears turning.

"Trying to borrow some camels from the sandelves sounds like a good idea to me, we need to keep our pack animals safe at any rate, in order to stay alive in the desert, so I don't really see any downside of we can convince them to let us use their camels."

He pauses to think for a bit.

"Of course, it won't hurt to try to get a few of these sandlizards as well, as different beasts succeed in different circumstances, so the more diverse our caravan is, the greater our chance for success."

"Our means are limited though, so we should probably try to set up a budget of how much we can afford to spend on camels and sandlizards, after we've stocked up on food on water."

Hoping to gain a bit more information on the pros and cons of the differents beasts, he turns to Rightbeard with a question.

"Have you got any input on in which circumstances camels excel over sandlizards, and vice versa? And do you think it would be worth it to turn in our other animals to gain more funds for lizards and camels?"

Not waiting for a reply he continues with his musings.

"Hmm, and we'll also have to purchase containers to carry our supplies in I suppose, and harness for our caravan to carry them. Did all of you bring dwellings suitable for the desert? Otherwise we'll have to purchase that as well. There are many concerns to satisfy, and not enough information."

"I suppose the first thing we'll need to do is set up a list of what resources we have available to us, then we can start setting up a list of what we want to bring with us. If we all cooperate, I am sure it can be done quickly!"

Grimtina
2014-07-24, 08:26 AM
Rightbeard nods. "I don't think t'hose ye brought is an everyday horse. Looks more like ye've bonded with it. That's why I thought pepping it up a bit fer t'sands is a good idea. As fer the mule, if it's young enough ye should be able t'get a few gold fer it.

As fer camels, them's faster than sandlizards on long distances. Sandlizards can outrun anything, but they'll only spring fer a few minutes, an' then need to slow down an' they cover less gound per day, too, unless they get lots o' food. They'll also have an easier way o' finding ye again if yer get separated by anything. Also, they can go underground. Camels need less food, an' only what ye'd feed mules plus some dattles. Sandlizards, well, they need meat. They hunt fer themselves, usually, an' make good guards fer a camp as well. Not that camels are much worse in guarding, they sniff out anything earlier, but get spooked easier, too. Sandlizards, now a sandlizard will probably not even alert ye when there's a danger it can handle. Woke up in the steppes one morning with my sandlizard chewing on a young bear that's been trying t'sneak into my stash. Never heard a thing!

Ah, and camels are better in finding water. Don't need much of it, they don't, but sandlizards need t'only drink once every few months, not a few weeks. Get their moist from blood, they do. An' before I forget t'tell ye, there's three types of camels. One has one hump, t'other has two an' t'largest type has three. Avoid t' latter, because while they can carry lots o'stuff they are impossible t'handle by anyone but t'most skilled nomad. But then I doubt ye'll ever see any, as they are really rare."

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 11:10 AM
Jing considers the options.
I'd say one sandlizard wouldn't be a bad idea. Having a mount keep watch sounds nice to me. But for the most part we should try and get camels, to help find water.
She looks a bit sheepish.
I would be willing to go and help get a sandlizard from the kobolds. And hunt to help fed one.
Her expression kind of says "Mommy, can I keep it?"

ereinion
2014-07-24, 01:22 PM
Imryn looks rather skeptical about the sand lizards, and of Jing's wish to get one, after having heard Rightbeard's description of them.

"I'm not sure, the sand lizards sound like rather dangerous carnivores to me, what'll happen if we run out of feed for them, and they can't find any suitable prey in the desert? Will they turn on us or the other pack animals? On the other hand we haven't got that much coin, so we may be forced to take a few of them with us considering that they are significantly cheaper to buy than camels."

"Still, I say we head to the sand elves first, and hear if it is possible to borrow a few of their camels. Apart from them getting spooked more easily, I think it makes more sense to take those as they'll both allow us to travel faster and help us find water."

smerdyakov
2014-07-25, 08:18 AM
As Sala returns to the ship, he notices the gnome Jing confronted earlier was gone, his spot taken by an ordinary-looking woman sketching on parchment. What is it with these people and their papers?

Aboard the vessel he retrieves his supplies and Izaro. He bridles and saddles the horse and gently pats her on the head. Time to go, he says to her in Ignan. I hope you're ready for sand.

He leads the horse down the ramp to the city, and heads back to the party and Rightbeard. As he approaches the group he asks, So, what have we decided?

Smileybastard
2014-07-27, 02:26 PM
Akkad

Akkad sighs in boredom and leans against the wall. "I am eager to get going or at least let us know when we will be heading out."

Fangren
2014-07-27, 02:54 PM
Cali was silently regretting both the group and herself not being as prepared for the trek as they should have been.

"We should find out how much everything costs before we decide what to buy." she told the group.

Grimtina
2014-07-27, 03:13 PM
"Very well," Rightbeard nods. "Get yet supplies an' we can meet at t'southgate by noon. I'm going t'get my stuff." with that, he disappears in the crowd after another short bow.

Smileybastard
2014-07-27, 04:29 PM
Akkad

"Be really should have some idea of what gear we need before we go our separate ways," Akkad shouts as Rightbeard disappears. "maybe we can even get a better deal by buying in volume."
"I assume we need food, water, tents and a camp kit and so on."

He looks at the group and wonders if going in this adventure was a good idea.

ereinion
2014-07-27, 05:25 PM
It looks like all this planning is giving Imryn a headache, and discovering that they have forgotten to bring along several potentially useful items doesn't help.

Trying to bring some order to their plans, he replies to Akkad.

"I'm not sure that splitting up is a good idea, if there are people ambushing foreign travellers, as Rightbeard alluded to. Since we're not in that much of a rush to get going, and all the places we want to visit are within a reasonable distance from the city, I suggest we do as he suggests and collect or stuff from the ship before meeting him at noon."

"From there I say we first go visit the sandelves, to see if we can get some camels for what is basically free. Then, if we deem that we don't have enough beasts of burden, we can visit the kobolds and try to get some sandlizards. Finally, we get someone to watch over the beasts outside the city, either someone from our group, or someone we hire and deem trustworthy, and visit the markets in town to order supplies to be delivered to the caravan."

"What do the rest of you think of this plan?"

Smileybastard
2014-07-27, 06:00 PM
Akkad

"Oh I was just assuming from what Righty said we were splitting up. Sticking together seems good to me. I am here to protect and that is what I shall do."

ereinion
2014-07-27, 06:05 PM
Imryn

"Ah, I misunderstood you then, my interpretation was that he was the only one parting company with us, and as a local I am gambling on him managing to take care of himself. I was more worried about the rest of the party, especially since Rightbeard mentioned a lot of foreigners disappearing once they've exited the city.

"Hopefully you agree with the rest of the plans too?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-27, 06:08 PM
Jing nods.
Elves, then kobolds, then supplies.

Smileybastard
2014-07-27, 06:57 PM
Akkad

"I am good with the plans. I am here to protect and if I feel something does not suit me, I will be sure to let you know." Akkad smiles and bows.

smerdyakov
2014-07-30, 08:48 AM
Sala nods in agreement, hopeful and eager to bond with the elves over their shared animal connections, and perhaps pick up one of the fascinating sandlizards as well.

Sounds good to me.

Fangren
2014-07-30, 04:47 PM
Cali nodded as well, silently glad that the group had something to do. She readjusted her own pack, having originally left the ship with all her belongings on her - it was a tad heavy, and she'd be glad to have a pack animal to unload some of the burden on.

Grimtina
2014-08-07, 04:48 AM
Getting everything together turns out to be less complicated thatn expected, at least for most of the things. While bartering is as much part of the markets here as you are used to at home, the merchants seem all very honest, and from what you can gather, this is because of a god named Bhar, who seems to be the main deity of most people trading regularly. Cheating a customer is not tolerated at all, but you also catch that not the whole continent follows these rules. The sayings "like trading with a lowland elf" or "bargains of mountain folk" are often heard in a decidely negative way.

10 camels, all of them with one hump as those were the only ones available at the time, have been borrowed to you. They are mostly female with varying colors. And of course, they all have names, and you have been told about their personalities as well.

Casha (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=26FD8155879D675D5ED2E68AD3550C39&bg=99c57c) is said to be sensitive, doesn't like to be shouted at and very good at predicting bad weather, especially sandstorms.

Verci (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=CAC46938B7B410D45D8EB8C194BEA6D9&bg=99c57c) doesn't like anyone riding her much, but she is the best at carrying important equipment because she is unlikely to be spooked and run, and would even drag bags along with her teeth if necessary. She is also usually the one holding a herd together.

Damu (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=B156B21408A89276D85EF0BB3F75891D&bg=99c57c) is the calmest, and said to be a little bit dumb. But she's best at finding water.

Kochi (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=CF0FF8F10538BF8AA485BF001FD95FFA&bg=99c57c) is overexcited and jumpy at times, and eager to move every new day. She should not carry equipment as she manages to lose it every now and then for unknown reasons. But she is unlikely not to notice predators sneaking up on the camp.

Bilma (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=607CFC6DB7765F8BE0C5C712D0322B84&bg=99c57c) will never lose direction, but is otherwise rather unremarkable and docile.

Lusha (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=9E5AA54BFC23D15214C0952225D8FCF3&bg=99c57c) talks a lot, commenting on everything new. Curious, she tends to sometimes ignore the rider and go to check out new things. As long as she is around, the others are less likely to be spooked. She knows how to use these toes of hers if anything tries to harm her or the rider.

Plookah (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=BFA92843CAB99A635673959FA3B2E4C3&bg=99c57c) is shy at first, but once she truest someone she will defend them - sometimes even when it is not needed. She is very afraid of trolls though, it isn't sure why. She tends to follow people she trusts around in the camp.

Rakoo (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=CFEEE2CF24575361A8D4C641F5BA2088&bg=99c57c) - neutered male with the tendency to shy away from new things. Also needs most commands to be said twice. He has the rare ability to see invisible things and creatures and also see through most illusions though, and you have been informed that there are many illusions in the desert, natural and magic made.

Nesruan (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=DDCCD7BC268D1019318D13CB9D87BF02&bg=99c57c) is an intact male has glowing patterns on his fur which are clearly magical in nature. You were told he was the familiar of a powerful sandmage who went missing a few years ago. Nesruan assumes his real master is still alive and kind of insists on accompanying every party in the hopes of coming across his master again. He'll prefer to stick to any arcane caster. No one knows exactly what the colored patches do, except that they glow dark when there are undead or negative energy vortexes nearby, and they glow light when there are larger amounts of positively aligned magic in the area.

Masreh (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=F6C73B5873A7141C07B2BE6B4850F526&bg=99c57c) is a naive, trusting, curious girl, very young still. This will be her first trip with strangers. She sticks with the older camels for safety.

Grimtina
2014-08-07, 04:57 AM
Getting sand lizards way a bit more complicated, mainly because the available ones all seemed to have some sort of disadvantage - too old, too aggressive, too young and unexperienced etc. The looks of them amuse you somewhat, considering they appear to me a mix of large rat and dragon, and you are informed they actually deliver live young and, according to the sages, aren't real reptiles.

As you are about to give up, you manage to exchange your mule and a few gems for Mukah (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=8930FA0BB6FC0C2B4A8824BBE4D28136&bg=99c57c), Rollko (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=2D3E5EC4C21B45336CCAB5C5DF8C4527&bg=99c57c) and Shama (http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archive/image.php?k=C000BF21DA46390F95E10FB4614A4A89&bg=99c57c), who are young and inexperienced, but were trained as a battle mounts, a trait not really needed close to cities since the guards, so you are told, are not allowed to ride lizards of any type anymore.

Grimtina
2014-08-07, 05:07 AM
No one has any magic item producing water at an affordable price, however, you are given a dented, small mug for free. The former owner, a dwarf dealer selling you hats, 3 tents and a parasol, wants to get rid of it because all it does is producing weak "elf beer" thrice a day, which is, according to him, as good as water.

Maps are decidedly hard to come by. Each map of the you look at is different, even the distances can't be right. Except for one really large map of the whole continent, almost as big as a tent side, which is rolled up in a very large container, like an oversized scroll case. It's not for sale, but for the small price of taking her along, the young gnome girl who is tending "Alaria's Magical Mappery" at the moment offers to make a magical copy for free - it will take a few hours until it is done though.

ereinion
2014-08-08, 03:10 AM
After a long day of trudging around looking at livestock and their handlers, Imryn's spirits lift at getting the chance to talk with another magic user.

"A magical copy you say? Does that mean you are trained in the magical arts? I certainly wouldn't object to having someone along with whom I can discuss the weighty matters of the arcane. You seem awfully young though. Will you be able to take care of yourself?"

Grimtina
2014-08-08, 10:45 AM
The gnome girl smiles widely. Then she talks in perfect common. "I am a little bit older than I look. When I was about 4, I sneaked into my mother's lab and drank a cool looking potion. Got my hide tanned for it. Lucky for me, it wasn't anything bad, but an expensive potion made for a rich human to ward off aging for a few years. People keep thinking that I should be happy to enjoy more childhood years, but fact is, my mind ages like that of anyone else, yet I'm still treated like I am barely 8 summers old. I need to get out, proving myself. I believe I can take care of myself just fine."

Then she tilts her head, seemingly considering what she can tell the stranger. "Every since I took that potion, I have a natural talent for divinations, but I can't control it. Pretty useless in my eyes, what good is magic if you cannot control it? I also think illusions, in which we gnomes excell so much, are a lesser art, which gets me at odds with my family ever so often. So I started to learn something useful. Magister Groban from the Elemental Academy gave me an old spellbooks of his he thought would be useful. Now I can magically repair a lot of things, or copy documents and small items, as long as they are not magical in nature. It requires element magic, but asides from using it to repair and copy and igniring fires, I have not yet learned a lot."

Vhaidara
2014-08-08, 12:09 PM
Jing nods.
I understand how you feel. People still treat me like a little girl. Drives me nuts. At least you got some magic out of it.
She looks at the rest of the group.
I vote we bring her along. We need the map either way, and she seems pretty nice.

ereinion
2014-08-08, 07:36 PM
"Yes, I see no harm in bringing her along, if nothing else it will be interesting to study this particular brand of magic she practices."

Imryn turns to study the girl closer.

"We need a name to address you by, though. Hmm, and as I mentioned I'd be interested in seeing this brand of magic you wield. You won't mind if I stay here as you copy the map, do you?"

Smileybastard
2014-08-08, 08:34 PM
Akkad

Akkad seems disinterested in many of the details of preparing for the expedition and focuses on keeping he eyes open for threats, while not looking like he is. He also take interest when he heard the lizards are trained as battle mounts.
"I would like to claim Mukad as my mount." He approaches the beast.

Perception [roll0]
Handle Animal [roll1]

Vhaidara
2014-08-08, 08:39 PM
Jing's eyes light up as Akkad claims a mount.
Oh, I want Rolko!
She sort of skips over to the lizard and puts her hand on its head.

Handle Animal (dear lord): [roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-08, 09:17 PM
"My name is Jasmin," the girl says. "Not my full name, of course, as with every gnome my parents felt the need to stick a long list of complicated names to me, and I am supposed to add my own once I know my place in life. But Jasmin will do. And yes, of course you can watch. Most people don't care how it works, as long as they get their products."

ereinion
2014-08-09, 09:40 PM
"Well, Jasmin, as long as you feel certain you can take care of yourself, I have no objections to you coming along. What we've got planned isn't all that exciting though, I dunno if you'll find it a very... expanding experience."

Move on if you will, I was mainly respondig to colour out the encounter a bit, I don't have any strong desire to flesh out this any further. My character is very interested in the girl thouhg :) Hmm, and exactly how young did she look? Very young?

Fangren
2014-08-09, 10:14 PM
Cali looked over their acquisitions, having written down their names, personalities, and other details in her journal. Keeping in mind that they would undoubtedly be accompanied by a gnome girl, she decided to plan out roles for the animals, and pick a mount for herself. After a bit of thought, she stood next to Bilma.

She silently continued to make notes about the animals and her surroundings, as well as a few thoughts about the gnome girl Jasmin.

Sense Motive for Jasmin: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Grimtina
2014-08-10, 04:35 AM
Jasmin seems perfectly honest, and appears to be the epitome of a working gnome cliche.

ereinion
2014-08-11, 03:12 AM
"Hrm. With maps, animals and supplies taken care of, I suppose we've found most of what we'll need for the expedition. I don't know about you guys, but with the another couple of hours before the maps are done, it may become a bit late to set out today. We should find somewhere we can spend the night, and then be ready to journey on tomorrow morning."
How late is it exactly? If it's still mid-morning I'd very much like to strike the above :smallbiggrin:

Vhaidara
2014-08-11, 03:17 AM
I wouldn't mind a night in a proper bed. One that doesn't keep moving while I sleep!
Jing's temper seems to rise just at the memory of being on board the ship. Then she catches Jasmin out of the corner of her eye.
Oh, and I'd like to get to know our newest expedition member!

ereinion
2014-08-11, 03:40 AM
"Ah, then you will stay here with me as she makes the map? I'll have to agree with you on the beds, I really hope there are some good inns in this town."

Imryn seems to get a glimpse of insight.

"Maybe you can recommend one, Jasmin, if we know which inn we're using and where it is, it should be a simple matter to rendezvous there tonight, if there are some of you who'd rather do something else than stay here and watch her craft the map."

From the look on his face, it is clear that Imryn thinks that anyone who doesn't stay to watch this fascinating display of magecraft are wasting their evening.

Grimtina
2014-08-11, 04:34 AM
Jasmin thinks for a moment. "Best would probably be the Rest of the Golden Goose. It isn't far from here..." A quick scetch on the back of what looks to be a used up scroll details the street layout, pointing to a building just 2 streets away. "Best though, it has beds of all sizes and types. You might even get to stay for half the price if you agree to tell a tale of your travels." Then she looks at you with big eyes. "You have come by ship from a far away place, so people would really crowd around you. I have to say I can't imagine being on a ship longer than a few days myself."

Vhaidara
2014-08-11, 04:37 AM
Jing makes a retching motion.
I wish I hadn't. People were not meant to travel like that.

Grimtina
2014-08-11, 04:52 AM
"Yeah," Jasmin laughs. "If the gods meant for us to be water beings, we'd have fins or webbed hands."

Then she climbs up a ladder to one of the top shelves in the shop where the large blank parchments are stored. They are covered with a linen sheet to prevent dust - obviously, not too many people ask for anything that large. Quickly pulling one of the top parchments out, she secures it with her chin and clibs back down, a rather weird way of going about it. She then proceeds to place the empty parchment on the table, but instead of securing each corner and the middle with something heavy to flatten it out first, she proceeds to sing a spell. "Flat you go, on the table, be all smooth so I am able to give you color, shape and form, so no one gets lost in a storm."

The parchment seems to shiver for a moment, then it stretches and flattens out as it it had never been rolled up. "There we go," the gnome smiles. "Now it is just a matter to transfer the information. See, everything which exists has elemental information stored in the world matrix," she starts explaining as if everyone should know about this. "And most things are made up of more than one element, so it is a matter of finding or copying the right combination. In case of a copy, it means that I need to leave out the information which is the actual parchment of the original. Of course, if you are really skilled you can create a copy out of nothing, but that is beyond me... yet. So, now I take the flow of the elements and..." Jasmin, now totally into her work, won't notice if anyone is bored or confused by her explanation. The spell she starts seems to rely on complicated hand motions and a crystal poweder rather than her voice, at least for the moment, but it's likely to include a lot more later on.

ereinion
2014-08-11, 05:09 AM
"Yes, I have to agree that it was a somewhat tedious journey. With the constant swaying from the waves it was hard to focus on anything, though I must admit that after some time at sea one does get used to it."

He glances over at Jing.

"Well, most of us did. Anyway, sea travel isn't very exciting - once you get away from the coasts, where there is quite a bit off life to watch both in the sky and sea, there isn't much to watch to distract your mind. Which isn't a bad thing, of course, I've always said that people ought to pay more attention to their mind, and of course it is easier to meditate and be introspective when you can't distract yourself with running around boozing and fighting and I don't know what. Did I mention that I was a member of the town guard before I foundd my true calling? It was a horrid time. I don't know which were worse, the dregs of humanity we dragged from whorehouses and bar fights, or my fellow guardsmen. If it was their day off, it was as likely as not them we found in the gutters. No, I am lucky that my master noticed my inherent abilities and got me away from that life, I'll be forever grateful to her - as you should be to Magister Groban."

Imryn pauses in his tale for a second, and seems to consider Jasmin's apparent age for a while.

"Hmm, but maybe I shouldn't regale you with tales of the debaucheries I saw in those dark days before I found magic and Nethys. How old did you say you were again?"

I'll make an untrained Perform check to tell a great (or more likely horrible) story for the girl, since she kinda hinted that she wanted to hear about life on the other side of the ocean. Hopefully what I wrote above is enough to justify such a check?

Perform: [roll0]

ereinion
2014-08-11, 05:18 AM
Imryn studies Jasmin's work with rapt attention.

"So you say it is all about naming the correct elements? Hmm, this is fascinating..."

Spellcraft to identiy what she's doing: [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana) to determine if any of the stuff she's talking about seems familiar: [roll1]

Grimtina
2014-08-11, 05:24 AM
"I'm 12," Jasmin explains. "Well, almost 13. And you need to get a feel for the elements while binding them in a spell." She adds more of the crystal powder, which starts to colorize, matching the colors of the original map. "This was the easy part, now I really need to concentrate." And she starts singing again, staring at the parchments in turn, but this time in the arcane language which connects mages of all parts of the world.

smerdyakov
2014-08-12, 09:08 AM
Baffled by the talk of magic and elements, and reminded of their sea journey and the whales nearby, Sala thinks again of the concept that sound manifests differently under water. He thinks fondly of the sea and their time on the ship, having never seen such quantities of water and unsure if he'll ever see them again. His mind continues to wander and he ignores most of the party's conversation, ecstatic with the camels and sandlizards and happy to get to know them on the journey.

He stumbles back into the conversation, fairly certain he heard something at some point about staying at an inn for the night. Pardon me for interrupting, but I, uh, I believe I'd prefer staying with the animals for the evening. Assuming no one objects.

Smileybastard
2014-08-12, 05:39 PM
Akkad

Akkad continues to seem almost disinterested in the various conversations. When Sala speaks, Akkad responds with "I doubt anyone will be worried about you staying with the animals and this place seems secure, so It would seem fine."

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 01:01 PM
The map gets made without any incident, and finally each of you has a chance to rest. The inn is cheap enough, the fare is good, and the beds are even better. The only annoyance is a little black dog named Toto* who seems to insist on sniffing everyone, begging at the tables.

Rightbeard has found you and is quite happy with your purchases. He is off again though to "tie any loose ends t'not annoy any o'my friends."

The patrons at the inn offer all sorts of advice when they hear where you are going. Some of it contradicts, and soon they are arguing with each other and have basically forgotten you.

*I lost a bet, ignore the groaners

ereinion
2014-08-15, 05:38 AM
Once the hubbub from the locals has died down a bit, Imryn orders some food and wine from the innkeeper, and tries to find a reasonably quiet corner to eat in. He'll try to pay some attention to what's going on in the rest of the room, just in case trouble is brewing, but unless something out of the ordinary happens, he'll just finish up the meal before retiring to his room.

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 11:36 AM
Jing also gets a meal, though she orders water instead of wine. While she does not seek out a corner, she likewise goes to bed shortly after finishing her meal, assuming no interruption.

Fangren
2014-08-15, 08:46 PM
Only mildly interested in the gnome girl's work, Cali is glad to get to the Inn. She orders water and a filling meal, eating quietly with Jing but not leaving once she's finished. It wasn't strictly her duty, but the young archaeologist wanted to get a better feel for the locals and any information they possessed that pertained to her destination. She wasn't about to approach anyone, of course; she merely wanted to listen to what was said.

Perception to Eavesdrop for something interesting, I guess? Would also like to know some of the tips the locals gave, even if they were contradictory.

The Roll: [roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-16, 08:36 AM
The contradictory advice is about 3 main points. 1 - oasis use. There are 3 different "trails" of oasis through the desert, and each has advantages or disadvantages. One group is of the option that the 3rd road is shortest and should thus be taken, while the others believe this to be foolish for anyone not native to the desert, because of 2 long stretches without obvious resources. 2- lizards and camels in one group. It's "lizards need to walk front" against "lizards need to frame the camels on all sides" but this seems to be more a matter of superstition, at least from the accusations flying 3 - a recent disease called "bone dry" is rampant in parts of the desert, supposedly, but where exactly, or if it is really true, and if so if it is really from the deserts etc is under heavy contention. Some say it is a magical ailment.

A few tables over, 2 rangers make fun of the argument, saying that perhaps the people arguing are more clueless than the strangers.

Smileybastard
2014-08-16, 10:33 AM
Akkad

Akkad orders a hearty meal and wine and sits with Jing and after the others go to bed, follows suit.

Grimtina
2014-08-17, 02:22 PM
The night is quiet, if a bit unusual as everyone is quite used to the rolling movements of a ship by now. As the morning dawns and several roosters shout out their worthiness to the hens, the inn is already bustling with activity. Several groups are leaving early, so you don't waste time waiting for breakfast to be made.

Rightbeard arrives and orders breakfast, too. When he hears about the young gnome coming along, he chuckles. "I met Jasmin before," he says. "Always good fer a surprise and a darn good judge o'character, she is. I suppose I'm in good company, then."

The stables are also full of activity, and your animals are made ready in no time, with stableboys helping you pack and checking the legs of everyone to make sure they are fit for a long journey.

Your horse is the attraction - the local breeds are a lot different, either smaller or heavier, or with a less noble looking face. You promptly get offers from people wanting to buy.

smerdyakov
2014-08-18, 10:01 AM
After an uneventful night with the animals, Sala wakes early. He feeds Izaro and removes a tiny wooden cage from his pack, and briefly admires the small viper within it. Sala caught the snake shortly before the journey across the sea, and named it Escandar. He hopes to train the still-wild reptile in time. Ensuring that the cage is latched, he quietly says, Goodbye for now, little friend, and places it back in his bag.

As passersby admire and even make offers on his horse, Sala shares what he knows about the mare and politely declines to sell. Izaro seems to enjoy the attention, and Sala allows her extra hay from those who would like to feed her. He excuses himself from the crowd to inspect the other animals as the stableboys ready them for the trip, looking for anything unusual or interesting before the rest of the expedition arrives.

Perception: [roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 10:05 AM
There is a large multicolored bird (think ostrich but larger) with a harness waiting to get a cart attached to it. You also notice a set of 4 large dogs, also pulling a low cart of sorts just leaving the stables.

Smileybastard
2014-08-18, 06:58 PM
Akkad

Akkad wakes and see the preparation of the large bird and the dog team. "Are others joining us?" he says to no one in particular.

Fangren
2014-08-18, 09:36 PM
The bits of advice, though probably useless in the long run, are still potentially useful enough that Cali makes note of them in her journal.

The night is uneventful, though she spends more time awake than she'd like. It was her first major expedition, and as confident as she was in her skills a little anxiety was to be expected.

Morning came with breakfast, and the revelation that Rightbeard already knows of Jasmin. It doesn't sway her opinion of the two either way, but Cali makes note of it nonetheless.

The inspection of the animals was boring but necessary, and Cali decides to stay near Bilma to help familiarize herself with the camel. Idly, she looked around at the other goings on in the area.

Perception: [roll0]

Assuming I see the giant bird, I'd like a Knowledge: Nature check as well. Who knows what she saw while living in a big city with an eccentric collector! [roll1]

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 09:43 PM
Jing rises early, eager to be off.
What's the deal with the bird and the dogs?

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 10:26 PM
Cali notes the dogs bein g handled by a gnome, carrying fine cloth on their cart. Unconspicious but visible if one pays attention, a few human guards stand by to watch the sled. Only when they finally drive off, the owner of the bird comes out from behind a barrel. It's a tall halfling woman who dresses as colorful as the bird.

A stablegirl hears Jing's question. "The dog team comes through once a wek, but the Aczak sure is something, no? I have never seen one close, and last night I was allowed to feed it! So calm and friendly - unless they feel attacked, of course, or go otherwise angry. But it's not nesting season, so it's not likely they get angry." The girl hasn't realized Jing isn't from around here and probably has no clue what she is talking about.

smerdyakov
2014-08-19, 08:14 AM
Sala approaches the huge bird, entranced by its plumage. To the halfling owner he says, Good morning. I'm very impressed by...whatever this is. May I touch it? What does it like to eat?

Grimtina
2014-08-19, 08:47 AM
"It's an Aczak," the halfling smiles. "They come from the far east. Go ahead, she likes the attention." She pats the bird herself to show it was safe. "They eat all sorts of things, mostly insects, grass and foilage and berries, but if they find it, they also take meat. They aren't predators though, they only sometimes kill predators attacking them, and then eat them. They waste nothing. Pretty handy when planning for provisions."

Vhaidara
2014-08-19, 09:25 AM
Jing, for her part, walks over to the dogs. For some reason, she'd never liked birds. Felt like family.
These are some beautiful dogs you've got.

Grimtina
2014-08-19, 10:59 AM
The blueish gnome looks up, being all absent minded for a moment longer. "Ah yes, yes they are. Jechis dredgedogs from the northlands." He points ot the only black and gray shorthaired one in the group of red and beige coarse haired dogs. "Except for her, she's a local sheepdog mutt, but one with as much talent pulling as the rest of them. Wouldn't want to go anywhere without them anymore. They're loyal and they don't talk much, either."

ereinion
2014-08-19, 03:39 PM
Imryn wakes up late, feeling rather gruff after some very intermittent sleep through the night. The change from sea to land will take a little while to get used to, even with beds as good as the ones in this inn.

Once he is outside, his mood brightens somewhat at seeing preparations for departure being well underway, and his spirits are further lifted once he learns that Jasmin and Rightbeard already know each other and seem to approve of each other's company. He nods a greeting at Jasmin, before turning his attention to the preparations taking place.

Since it seems that everyone seems to know what they are doing, and that they are almost ready for departure, he decides that there is little reason to interfere with anyone else's preparations. Instead he begins walking along the caravan's animals, approaching each of them while trying to decide which one to take as his mount for the journey.

Hadn't one of those sandelves mentioned that one of them liked arcane casters...

Grimtina
2014-08-19, 06:54 PM
Going along the waiting mounts, Imryn gets a few laugh and chuckles. Some people, especially the children, seem to try very hard not to point at him.

Smileybastard
2014-08-19, 07:22 PM
Akkad

Akkad relaxes, but keep his eyes open and roving the crowd. Not sure what threats I should worry about, but lets just keep an eye open.

smerdyakov
2014-08-21, 08:29 AM
Sala reaches for the bird slowly and pets its feathers gently. He smiles back at the halfling and says, Thank you. She's magnificent. I'd like to get one myself. Looking around, it appears that the party is nearly ready to depart, so he thanks the woman again and bids her farewell before returning to his horse.

Grimtina
2014-08-21, 08:34 AM
Jasmin and Rightbeard are already at the front of the forming caravan, making sure everything's stored properly. When Rightbeard sees Imryn, he let's out a laugh. "Looks like ye two found each other."

ereinion
2014-08-21, 06:41 PM
Puzzled by people's apparent mirth as he inspects the animals of the caravan, Rightbeard's comment further mystifies Imryn.

"Found each other? What are you talking about?"

Grimtina
2014-08-22, 02:59 AM
"Ah," Rightbeard chuckles. "Turn around."

ereinion
2014-08-23, 01:35 PM
With a quizzical look on his face, Imryn turns around to see what it is Rightbeard wants him to see.

Grimtina
2014-08-24, 05:09 AM
Imryn stares right into the face of a certain camel with colorful magic marking. It definitely seems to grin. "Pfrrrrr," he snorts a greeting.

ereinion
2014-08-24, 01:24 PM
"Hrmph," Imryn goes in reply. "Well, it seems decided who I will ride for our expedition. I should have known that even for a dumb animal such as this, it would have the good sense to stick with wizards, once it's had the fortune to meet one."

Really noticing its drawings for the first time, he continues.

"Mind you, this is definitely the most interesting of the lot we're borrowing. Hmm, could someone remind me what the sandelves told us about this particular specimen, I must have been pondering more weighty matters as they were expounding on the nature of the beasts?"

He then awkwardly pats the camel on the nose.

Rolls in Spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana to see if I can glean anything from the drawings myself.
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-08-24, 02:42 PM
Akkad

"I forget the camel's name, but he used to owned by a mage of some sort and the colored patched glow light and dark with positive and negative energy."

ereinion
2014-08-24, 03:19 PM
"Thank you. Hmm, positive and negative energy sounds like it has more to do with clerical magic than with arcane, but maybe its previous owner was something of a jack o' all trades. It could be that he was part of Nethys's clergy, as I can hardly imagine any other reason why someone would stray from the path of true magic."

"It shall be interesting to see if I am able to divine any further into what purpose the drawings have, as we travel together."

Grimtina
2014-08-25, 04:40 AM
The colorpatches radiate divination, abjuration and necromancy. There are several spells woven in, but the only ones easily identifiable are Detect Undead, Hide From Undead and a mental Alarm affecting the camel

ereinion
2014-08-30, 07:17 PM
Noticing that most of the party are ready to depart, Imryn turns to Rightbeard and asks in a voice loud enough for most of the rest of the caravan to hear as well.

"So, it seems that now that I've decided on what beast to ride - or maybe it decided on me, it's hard to tell - we are ready to set out. I don't know with you, but I really can't think of any reason to delay our departure any further."

He gives the members of the caravan a quizzical look.

Smileybastard
2014-08-30, 07:47 PM
Akkad

Akkad says "I am ready to go, but then again, I always am."

Vhaidara
2014-08-30, 08:37 PM
Jing nods.
Same with me. I've had enough of water for at least a week.

Grimtina
2014-09-01, 06:04 AM
A few minutes later, the newly formed caravan is on the move. It attracts no special attention in the city, where many such caravans are about.

At the southern gate, there is a short hold up, because a few wizards are checking over everyone who leaves for a stolen magical object, but it clearly doesn't have anything to do with you and soon you are out in the open.

Unlike other major cities, this one has no houses or shops in front of the gates save one lonely inn - for the late comers when the gates are closed - and the counryside immediately goes to far apart farms with fertile fields around them. Many things grow here, from cotton-corn-and wheat fields, to vegetable patches and orchards. Thee is even a whole field of sunflowers close to the city. Fields are all worked on, and people of varying races walk around the fields in green robes, paying close attention to the workers. A slight magic aura hangs above it all, noticable to all but the totally magic blind.

Aynone with an INT score over 10 can feel it

"We'll be going through fields like these for a few more hours," Rightbeard explains. "Very fertile land."

Fangren
2014-09-01, 11:45 PM
After quite a lot of boring-but-necessary preparation, the caravan finally moves out. Riding a camel is not something Cali has done, but true to the information they'd been given Bilma was docile enough for the half-elf to manage.

The magical aura in the fields outlying the city were immediately obvious. Mildly curious as to the aura's presence and with little else to do, Cali took the time to cast a simple spell to examine the area more closely.

Casting Detect Magic. Doing so on a mount should presumably force a concentration check as below; the modifier is caster level (1) + CHA mod (3) + trait bonus (2).

Concentration Check: [roll0]

Grimtina
2014-09-02, 11:04 AM
Might be some sort of elemental magic but you can't be sure

ereinion
2014-09-03, 01:35 PM
Like Cali, Imryn too studies the strange magical effect as they leave the city. Trying to remember if he's seen or heard of anything like it before, he tries to get his camel to next to Jasmin's.

"It seems that magic permeates the lands here, is it this common in all of the continent?"

Vhaidara
2014-09-03, 01:56 PM
Jing shudders
This country is weird. My skin feels all tingly.

smerdyakov
2014-09-03, 02:57 PM
Sala rides his horse near the front of the group, admiring the fields and orchards as they move into the countryside. He soaks in the greenery with the knowledge that soon they will mostly only see rocks and sand.

Grimtina
2014-09-03, 04:22 PM
Jasmin nods. "The druids and element mages keep the land calm and fertile, so the farmers will not need to encroach on forests and other wilderlands. They control the weather, and they even take care the workers won't get sick or hurt." She points at the green robed figures. "Those are priests of Hezrah, goddess of agriculture. If a worker tires, or strains a muscle or just has back pains from beding down too much, they will fix it free of charge. Farms pay tribute to the temples in return, of course."

ereinion
2014-09-03, 05:22 PM
"Hmph. It seems rather a waste of magic to use it to feed people, I guess people over here don't have the proper respect for magic that we have back home. Still it is an impressive display."

Grimtina
2014-09-09, 01:51 AM
"Well," Jasmin chuckles, "Magic hould be used to make life easier wherever possible - as long as you have enough of it. And it's definitely better than facing another Age of Starvation. But that'd be a long history lesson."

The caravan makes good progress over the day, and towards evening, the fields, farms and some small hamlets are replaced by fishing villages and boats - the road has now come to "hug the coast" as Rightbeard calls it.It has gotten somewhat cooler as there is a constant wind coming from the sea even when you can't always see it.

ereinion
2014-09-09, 02:37 PM
"We do have a long journey ahead of us, and little to keep us entertained."

Imryn glances out towards the sea, idly wondering if they'll get to hear the whalesong that was mentioned earlier.

"While the only true calling for a seeker of truth is in the pursuit of magic, I do enjoy dabbling in other so-called sciences as well, you never know where you may find a nugget of hidden lore."

"So if you do not object, I would appreciate you enlightening us on the history of this continent, and how arcane lore came to be used for such mundane tasks as growing food."

Imryn does his best to hide a disapproving frown, but does not succeed very well at it.

Grimtina
2014-09-09, 03:46 PM
Jasmin nods. "I understand the reluctance to even think about it, after all, stuff grows naturally well enough. But this continent had a few weird things happening, and the Age of Starvation was the worst..."

Over the next hour or two, the gnome explains the history behind it.

It all started when Hermeroc, a mad priest of a dark cult, managed to secure a whole lot of a poision called Winter's Tears. It freezes living things from the inside over the course of weeks. That includes plants if the soil is poisoned. It's magic poison very hard to detect, and once you notice symptoms, only high level curative magic can help. "And if there was too little of something then, it was curative magic because Emperor... oh I forgot his long name, sorry... well the man in charge didn't like religion much, disallowed divine magic for the most part and wan ted to recreate every divine spell with the arcane. Bad combination." Jasmin sighs. "Not that the arcane attempts were all failures, but the timing was awful."

Hermeroc's plan was as much as any other wannabe world ruler. What he didn't count on was that a handful of gnomes and halflings he enslaved managed to poison him with his own stock, and he was as helpless as anyone else as his cult only had destructive divine magic. But the damage was done and most of the plants on the fields dead as well as many people and animals. The lack of divine magic, which had also driven off druids and shamans, broke the silly king's neck, quite literally as there was a revolt. But it was too late. People and cattle were starving, as even the grass didn't grow anymore. Some areas resulted to cannibalism, and fish and other fruits of the sea were among the only things still available.

People were spilling into forests, felling trees and burning ground to get new fertile land, the druids weren't happy with them. It caused a major war until both sides came to an agreement. The council of people which had formed and the druids agreed to support each other, to combine arcane and divine magic to protect and defend, and to prevent destabilization of the environment of the food supply. Thus, the Agreement of Halistan was born and adhered to for the last 2 centuries. New priesthood formed and divine and arcane magic lived peacefully side by side again.

All in all, the lands in the north had lost more than 3/4 of their population. Many areas have still not completely recovered when there is no magic available to eliminate all the poison from the fields.

Grimtina
2014-10-03, 05:32 AM
The trek south is, for the most part, uneventful. During the journey along the coast, you are indeed able to see whales a lot, and listen to the whale songs. You also come across a traveling circus who travel with you a few days, giving a chance to sample their art, which includes tame lions and tigers and a gnome girl who is half white, half black, literally - her left side is white and the right side is black. How this came about, no one can say. They are happy to trade spells with your wizard, too, although their two mages seem of a weird school dealing even with powerful magic in a very relaxed way. The scrolls they hand over for learning those spells don't ever fail, so it is explained. However, the magic itself willl require payment in some way eventually, depending on the spell's nature.

2 days out of the city, a magic missive reaches you from the Duchies. Your benefactor has acquired more financal means, and he is trying to find a magic way to get it to you as needed at a later time. He also wishes you all the best and the blessing of the gods etc.

Rolling for spells - 2 level 1 spells, pick any of your schools, 2 level 2 spells and 1 level 3 spell on scrolls to attempt as able, but you can't open them yet as the scroll cases will just open once you got "the right mind to learn them" so you were told. -

The weather turns for the worse eventually, with rainstorms drainign everyone to the skin, which is not something either of the animal enjoys either, and the camels especially get grumpy. "Enjoy it while ye can," Rightbeard laughs. "Behind t'Southern Hills, t'desert starts, and then ye'll wish fer rain in any case."

Late afternoon on the third day of the downpour, you crest the hills, which indeed serve as a water barrier. In front of you is the desert and it looks really...

"Boring's t'word coming t'mind most of t'time," Rightbeard chuckles. "But also beautiful, especially if ye see t'sunrise. As fer that, I suggest we stay on the crest fer t'night, view the sunrise in t'morning an' then get on with what's t'real part of t'journey."