PDA

View Full Version : A funny idea

Hazrond
2014-07-10, 12:36 PM
So I had an idea for a character, a paladin so lawful good that he refuses to drink anything but axiomatic holy water (lawful good water), I wanted to see if I could make a custom item based on decanter of endless water that instead shoots axiomatic holy water but I'm terrible with the magic item creation rules, can someone tell me how much this would cost?

Edit: this would be useful for another char I have in mind, a con artist cleric that sells various aligned waters as "magical elixirs"

Aegis013
2014-07-10, 04:53 PM
Best to just consult your DM, since custom items are the DM's purview.

Based on the guidelines from the books, however, the closest that would make sense is some kind of decanter of endless water + continuous bless water item, which should cost something like 11,000gp (9k for the decanter, 2k for continuous bless water item), but it's not exactly Axiomatic water, just garden variety holy water.

Hazrond
2014-07-10, 07:43 PM
Best to just consult your DM, since custom items are the DM's purview.

Based on the guidelines from the books, however, the closest that would make sense is some kind of decanter of endless water + continuous bless water item, which should cost something like 11,000gp (9k for the decanter, 2k for continuous bless water item), but it's not exactly Axiomatic water, just garden variety holy water.

Could we also add a continuous axiomatic water spell for another 2k totalling at 13k?

Gildedragon
2014-07-10, 08:53 PM
You want the geyser function, or are happy just to always have some holy axiomatic water?

Because if you are happy just always having the stuff we can go cheaper:

Replenishing skin (1000gp) (1/2 gallon per 1d4 hours)

Fire Bucket (3000gp) (3 gallons per round)

Note that per gallon it's about 8 castings of bless water...

Hazrond
2014-07-10, 09:32 PM
You want the geyser function, or are happy just to always have some holy axiomatic water?

Because if you are happy just always having the stuff we can go cheaper:

Replenishing skin (1000gp) (1/2 gallon per 1d4 hours)

Fire Bucket (3000gp) (3 gallons per round)

Note that per gallon it's about 8 castings of bless water...

I would like to have the geyser function simply because it would be fun SCREW demons over with, one pint of this water does 4d4 damage, so how much does a geyser deal? :smalltongue: but yeah it would be more cost effective to base it on the fire bucket (steady supply)

Edit: the part about demons is because they are chaotic evil outsiders, therefore they set off BOTH the holy and axiomatic parts of the water making it deal 2d4 for holy and 2d4 for lawful :smallbiggrin:

Aegis013
2014-07-10, 10:09 PM
Could we also add a continuous axiomatic water spell for another 2k totalling at 13k?

Yes, although, in hindsight, both of these spells have an expensive material component, which I don't recall how that factors into the item's price. Fairly sure it does factor in somehow though.

(continuous spell effect on an item is Caster level*Spell level*2000gp according to the DMG's item creation guidelines)

Gildedragon
2014-07-10, 10:29 PM
Yes, although, in hindsight, both of these spells have an expensive material component, which I don't recall how that factors into the item's price. Fairly sure it does factor in somehow though.

(continuous spell effect on an item is Caster level*Spell level*2000gp according to the DMG's item creation guidelines)
true 4000 is a bit high per ability
the cost per bless is 3000gp (2000*1.5 for multiple abilities)

material components x100 times

so +2500 for each...

+5,000 for material components
+6,000 for lawful good water
+3,000 for fire bucket (lets call it a font?)
14,000gp

-40% kn (planes and religion) paladin only?
8,400gp

Werephilosopher
2014-07-10, 10:37 PM
Pretty sure there's no such thing as "axiomatic holy water"- there's axiomatic water, and there's holy water.

That said, there's no need to make a custom item. Complete Champion has the Aspergillum of Perpetual Benediction, which refills itself every dawn with a pint of holy water. Lawful, chaotic, and evil variants all exist as well, so I guess you could have a good one and a lawful one and mix the water together to drink. Of course, that's only two pints of liquid a day unless you buy more pairs. They're 1,500 gp each, so 3k for a Lawful/Good pair.

Hazrond
2014-07-11, 02:03 AM
Pretty sure there's no such thing as "axiomatic holy water"- there's axiomatic water, and there's holy water.

So what, are you saying that if you poured two pints of each in a glass they would be perfectly seperate? or for that matter what stops you from casting the bless water spell on axiomatic water, or vice versa? I dont see where in the rules for the spell that it specifies it needs to be NORMAL water :smallbiggrin:

Judge_Worm
2014-07-11, 08:36 AM
So what, are you saying that if you poured two pints of each in a glass they would be perfectly seperate? or for that matter what stops you from casting the bless water spell on axiomatic water, or vice versa? I dont see where in the rules for the spell that it specifies it needs to be NORMAL water :smallbiggrin:

So are you saying we can bless unholy water?

Holy Unholy Axiomatic Anarchic Water
Deals 4d4 damage to any non-Neutral creature or item. Deals 2d4 damage to any creature or item with only one part of their alignment being neutral. Does not affect true neutral creature or items.

I so wanna have a druid use this now.

Jormengand
2014-07-11, 09:02 AM

Deals 4d4 damage to any non-Neutral creature or item. Deals 2d4 damage to any creature or item with only one part of their alignment being neutral. Does not affect true neutral creature or items.

You can go one better: Dragon Magazine brings us the Incarnate, who is a True Neutral paladin equivalent (and is not to be confused with that other type of Incarnate). Give him some of that, and set him on anything that isn't neutral.

Werephilosopher
2014-07-11, 09:03 AM

Well...

This transmutation imbues a flask (1 pint) of water with positive energy, turning it into holy water.

It might not be clear what constitutes "water," but it is clear what the spell produces. Even if you cast bless water on axiomatic water, the result, per RAW, is just holy water. :smallamused:

Hazrond
2014-07-11, 11:05 AM

That sounds awesome, i wonder what it would look like? Anarchic water is always bubbling but Axiomatic is perfectly still, Holy makes it brighten and glow but unholy makes it darken so what would it look like i wonder?

Gildedragon
2014-07-11, 11:59 AM
That sounds awesome, i wonder what it would look like? Anarchic water is always bubbling but Axiomatic is perfectly still, Holy makes it brighten and glow but unholy makes it darken so what would it look like i wonder?

Actually as per the DMG and PHB there's no special effects to aligned waters.
If they do in your game Four-Alignment-Water ought be clear and no different than normal water in looks.

also note that aligned waters only affect (opposite alignment) outsiders and undead (in case of holy) (prolly also deathless in the case of unholy)

Hazrond
2014-07-11, 12:11 PM
Actually as per the DMG and PHB there's no special effects to aligned waters.
If they do in your game Four-Alignment-Water ought be clear and no different than normal water in looks.

also note that aligned waters only affect (opposite alignment) outsiders and undead (in case of holy) (prolly also deathless in the case of unholy)

Really? i could have sworn the descriptions of each of the waters had it look distinct like i outligned...
As for the part about outsiders it would totally be useful it would be like, "Demon? BAM! Archon? BAM! Devil? BAM!" and so on :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Inevitables? BAM! Anarchic water! :smallcool:

Gildedragon
2014-07-11, 12:46 PM
Nope.
Not even in the planar handbook (where axiomatic and anarchic are statted)
the text is always the same:

(alignment) water damages (opposed alignment) outsiders
almost as if it were acid. A flask of (alignment) water
can be thrown as a splash weapon.
[rules for attacking]
[rules for damage, 2d4 splash etc...]

Which is not to say that the glow or changes in fluff for the item are wrong. They are cool, just not stated out as such.

Hazrond
2014-07-11, 12:53 PM
Nope.
Not even in the planar handbook (where axiomatic and anarchic are statted)
the text is always the same:

(alignment) water damages (opposed alignment) outsiders
almost as if it were acid. A flask of (alignment) water
can be thrown as a splash weapon.
[rules for attacking]
[rules for damage, 2d4 splash etc...]

Which is not to say that the glow or changes in fluff for the item are wrong. They are cool, just not stated out as such.

Weird? i could have sworn i read that somewhere... :smallconfused: