PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next True Vancian Caster Wizard

Person_Man
2014-07-10, 02:57 PM
I'm unhappy with the current 5E Wizard. A potential solution I've been thinking about for a while is to institute true Vancian casting, as in, spellcasting that is based on how magic actually works in the Dying Earth novels by Jack Vance.

Each spell has one fixed purpose. (No "open ended" spells like Gate). Spells must be prepared in advance of actual use, and each prepared spell can be used only once before needing to be prepared again. Magic users can memorize only a very small number of spells at any given time, around 1 to 6. Spells automatically scale with the ability of the caster, but more powerful spells take longer to memorize. You can't memorize the same spell more then once. Spells are jealously guarded secrets, and you can't buy scrolls or any other equivalent at a magic mart. You either learned them from another magic user, took it from them, or spent years researching them. There were a very limited number of spells in the world, perhaps only a 100 spells left known in the world (though at one point, its rumored that their were many more). Spells were extremely powerful and awesome. If you cast the right spell at the right time and had sufficient ability in doing so, you basically solved whatever problem it was directed at. You can instantly kill a creature with the right spell, create life, be completely protected from harm for a short period of time, transport yourself across the planet, etc. So your choice of which spells to memorize was really important. Magic users weren't weak/squishy by default. They were adventurers, tricksters, and/or powerful sages.

Add in cantrips and take out Arcane Recovery and other resource breaking class abilities, and you get a pretty interesting class. And you don't even have to rewrite any of the 5E rules other then the class itself.

True Vancian Caster Wizard

Hit Points:
Hit Dice: 1d8 per class level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per class level after 1st

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons plus the hand crossbow.
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Perception, and Religion.

Level
Class Abilities
Cantrips
Max Spells Memorized
Max Spell Level

Cantrips, Spellcasting, Ritual Spells

1st

Arcane Tradition
1st

-
2nd

Ability Score Increase
2nd

-
3rd

Arcane Tradition
3rd

-
4th

Ability Score Increase
4th

-
5th

Arcane Tradition
5th

-
6th

Ability Score Increase
6th

-
7th

Arcane Tradition
7th

-
8th

Ability Score Increase
8th

-
9th

Spell Mastery

9th

Ability Score Increase
9th

Signature Spell
9th

At 1st level you have 4 at-will Cantrips, and gain additional spells according to the chart above. You can choose new Cantrips with a Long Rest.
At 1st level you can memorize 1 spell, and can memorize addition spells according to the chart above. You start with access to 1st level spells, and gain access to higher level spells according to the chart above. Memorizing spells takes 10 minutes of uninterrupted meditation per spell level, during which time you may not do anything other then studying your spell book or resting. You may choose to memorize any spell you know in the highest spell slot you are capable of casting, or any lower level slot that is capable of holding the spell if you want to memorize it more quickly. You can't memorize the same spell more then once at the same time, and if you memorize new spells any currently active spells that you cast immediately end.
Spell Mastery: Choose two 2nd level or lower spells that are currently in your spellbook. You can cast these spells at-will using their normal casting time at their lowest spell level without the need to memorize them or expending a spell slot. By taking a Long Rest, you can exchange one or both of the spells for different spells in your spellbook of 2nd level or lower.
Signature Spell: Choose one 3rd level or lower spell that is currently in your spellbook. You can cast this spell at-will using its normal casting time at their lowest spell level without the need to memorize them or expending a spell slot. By taking a Long Rest, you can exchange this spell for a different spells in your spellbook of 3rd level or lower.
As per a normal Wizard, you can also cast Ritual spells strait from your spellbook with a casting time of 10 minutes if you do so at their base spell level, or you can memorize them normally. Concentration and Spellbook rules also exist as normal.
Time spent meditating to memorize spells counts towards time needed to take a Short or Long Rest. For example, if you memorize two 3rd level spells (30 minutes each) you also benefit from taking a Short Rest if you choose, without having to sleep or meditate for an additional 1 hour. However, if you do not complete the minimum amount of time needed for a complete Rest, the time spent meditating cannot be saved and applied to a future Rest. For example, if you spend 30 minutes meditating to memorize a spell and then start to adventure again, you cannot apply that 30 minutes to a future Rest.
New spells have to be found through adventuring. You don't automatically learn new ones when you gain a level. (Though it's possible that you could find spells you're not capable of casting before you gain the appropriate level). You can research a spell with enough down time, but this is at DM discretion.
Other then Arcane Renewal (which you don't get because its a terrible mechanic) and the slightly modified Spell Mastery/Signature Spell (I made them stronger by making them at-will without the need for rest or memorization), you gain every other Wizard class ability, your chosen subclass abilities, and Ability Score Increases just as a normal Wizard does according to the chart above.

Thus a first level Wizard gets four Cantrips and one 1st level Spell that he can change out or replace with 10 minutes of rest, plus Rituals. A 20th level caster gets nine Cantrips, some at-will low level spells from Spell Mastery and Signature Spell, and six 9th level memorized Spells, but it takes you 90 minutes per 9th level spell to memorize new ones (or you can memorize lower level spells more quickly if you want), plus all his other Arcane Tradition class abilities. The net result is that low level memorized spells are basically Encounter abilities, but as you gain levels and spells become more powerful, they basically become a Daily resource. If you pick the right spells for the right situation and are willing to use your very limited memorized spell resource, then you can basically win the encounter, because you always have the highest level of spells at your disposal and don't have to keep track of a lower level spells you don't use. But if you don't pick the right spell or want to conserve the resource, you still have a solid number of at-will cantrips and any Rituals you have to fall back on, as well as Simple weapons.

Thoughts?

Starcofski
2014-07-10, 06:47 PM
My questions/comments, in order of conception:

1) While Gate is fairly open-ended, this could make for a much shorter availible spell list than I believe you intend.

2) Which attribute would this class be tied to, and how would the class benefit from it? (Wizard is # of spells that can be prepared at a time, which should not be an issue/relevant to this class).

3) Just by the limitations, I do think this is more of a DM-enforced alternate Wizard, as I doubt players will intentionally forego such a large pool of spellcasts.

4) Since there are less spells, have you considered giving them an additional weapon proficiency to compensate?

5) I have no clue why Arcane Recovery is even a thing, good move disposing of it.

Overall, this looks fairly tame, though I would need to try it out to say it's "Fair & Balanced".

Person_Man
2014-07-11, 02:05 PM
1) While Gate is fairly open-ended, this could make for a much shorter availible spell list than I believe you intend.

Fair point. Though I think that the 5E PHB is probably going to have at least 300+ spells in it, so maybe there will be more non-open ended spells then we anticipate.

I definitely need to flesh this out a bit more an be more precise with my choice of language. But the overall point I'm trying to get at is that Spell Selection = Power and Role/Niche, and thus being a Wizard of sufficiently high level with access to every spell will inevitably lead to the highest possible level of power and the ability to fill every niche. Whereas classes like the 3.5 Beguiler or Dread Necromancer with a more regulated spell list is going to be more balanced. So players and DMs should work together to come up with a reasonable spell list, instead of the Player automatically choosing the most optimal spells.

2) Which attribute would this class be tied to, and how would the class benefit from it? (Wizard is # of spells that can be prepared at a time, which should not be an issue/relevant to this class).

For a Wizard I would think Intelligence. But this basic framework or something close to it could work for any full caster, so I'd consider Wis or Cha as well if a player preferred it. I'd also be fine with a spell list that drew from the Wizard, Cleric, Bard, and/or Druid spell list, as long as it was balanced overall.

3) Just by the limitations, I do think this is more of a DM-enforced alternate Wizard, as I doubt players will intentionally forego such a large pool of spellcasts.

If the player's goal is optimization, then I think you're entirely correct.

But I strongly dislike the Wizard's current Prepare + Spontaneous + Arcane Renewal Rube Goldberg Machine setup. I personally would much rather have Cantrips + A Small Number of Memorized, because all of those spells are coming from the highest spell level available to me, and thus I don't have to worry about any ridiculous book keeping.

4) Since there are less spells, have you considered giving them an additional weapon proficiency to compensate?

Good idea. I'll update it to give them Simple weapons, Light armor, and d8 hit die. That way they're not completely locked into using Cantrips all of the time, and they won't be subject to the Mage Armor spell tax.