PDA

View Full Version : A Rising Sand Buries All Hopes IC

Rizban
2014-07-10, 02:58 PM
For whatever reasons, you have found yourselves in the town of Majmurah in the southeastern part of what is called only The Great Desert. Nestled around a magical oasis that is home to a powerful Marid, the fortified city is the only source of potable water for miles around and has become a major stop on the caravan trade routes. Though evil and cruel, the Marid likes the attention and loyalty of those who serve him and depend on his oasis and, for the most part, leave the people alone.

Many nomads shelter in and around the city during the winter, when the sandstorms are at their worst. The winter months are over now, and the nomadic tribes and caravan are leaving once more. Some seek guards, some seek porters, and some speak of the rumors of mystic locales deep in the distant desert unseen and untouched for centuries.

Vhaidara
2014-07-10, 03:03 PM
Outrider approaches the town. Though she has no need for water, Underrider is a different matter. Still, the less she owed to the master of this place, the better.

Firebrand
2014-07-10, 05:05 PM
Laki moves briskly toward the gates of the city.

"The tracks lead here. I hope Wikitagan didn't catch a caravan out of the city...."

She approaches any guards and politely asks what would be required to enter Majmurah

Prehysterical
2014-07-10, 05:57 PM
A small, strange hunched figure wrapped in desert robes and carrying an open parasol slowly approaches Majmurah. This is Tlotlen's first time visiting Majmurah. While the Armand is impressed by the bastion of life here in the desert, the walls remind him that there is likely an overlord to this place. These chieftains of the desert, he had learned in his travels, tended to rule with an iron fist and take whatever they wanted. Perhaps are some here who could do with the aid of the Feathered Serpent, Quetzalcoatl.

Tlotlen walks into the town, keeping an eye open for anyone having difficulties. With his magical waterpouch and ration kit, he has not need to restock on supplies. A gently smiling holy sun symbol jingles on a rope cord on his neck as his clawed feet move forward.

Silver Night
2014-07-10, 06:47 PM
Chock

The kreen sits inside the city, at a temporary open-air cafe which is likely to disappear with the caravans. From where he sips his tea, he can watch the gates for anything interesting. While he has inquired about guard work with several groups already, none seemed like a good fit. Now he is looking for anyone he might take up with who is newly arriving in the city.

Seeing something that might be worth looking at, he sets his cup down on the empty crate that acts as a table and straightens his bandoleers. Settling his sun lenses on his face he approaches the small figure with the parasol, "Welcome to Majmurah. I am Chock. Is it your first time in the city?"

Prehysterical
2014-07-10, 07:25 PM
Tlotlen turns to regard the mantisfolk. During his travels, he has met many strange new peoples, so Chock's appearance does not alarm him. Raising his clawed hands up and to the side, fingers splayed, Tlotlen clasps them back together into a bow. "Greetings, Chock. I am Tlotlen, priest of the great Feathered Serpent, Quetzalcoatl. This is indeed my first time being in the city. How may I be of service?"

hoplathemightly
2014-07-10, 07:35 PM
With the harsh desert finally calmed, and the impending flow of traffic daring to make Majmurah just the sort of place that Ricardio didn't want to be stuck in, it was time to move on. He'd spent the last few weeks with his ears and eyes attached to the incoming merchants and their retinues; thankfully there wasn't any sign of trouble for him, not yet at least.

Approaching the guardsman that had been posted for the last few days, with whom he'd made more than an acquaintance, hoping to learn of any traveler's looking for a spare blade. He saw an odd little fellow walking through the foot traffic door. "Hmm, don't see many of them."
At the customs table beneath the shade of the gate, he patted the taller man on the shoulder, "So what's the word of the day?"

dextercorvia
2014-07-10, 08:00 PM
Chabad

The morning had not started well at all. After morning prayers, his stomach was sour, so the magus had headed to a nearby cafe for a bit of camel's milk. Along the way, he couldn't help but stop at a bookseller's stall that had not been there yesterday. I'm sorry to inform you, Chabad began after perusing a couple of items, This copy of Razaster's Rituals is quite inauthentic. Here, in the ritual of elemental binding, these reagents are all wrong. This will actually... Chabad never got to finish. The merchant bawled him out, cursing in several languages. Chabad fled toward the cafe. The churning in his stomach caused him to stop short. Chabad kneels there in the dust, and prays for the sun god to show favor on him.

Silver Night
2014-07-10, 08:51 PM
Tlotlen turns to regard the mantisfolk. During his travels, he has met many strange new peoples, so Chock's appearance does not alarm him. Raising his clawed hands up and to the side, fingers splayed, Tlotlen clasps them back together into a bow. "Greetings, Chock. I am Tlotlen, priest of the great Feathered Serpent, Quetzalcoatl. This is indeed my first time being in the city. How may I be of service?"

Chock gestures to indicate that they can continue walking, in case he is keeping Tlotlen from some destination, "Service? Well, any news from the road? I've been here since the sands started up, and I'm looking to where I might go next."

Vhaidara
2014-07-10, 09:12 PM
Chabad

The morning had not started well at all. After morning prayers, his stomach was sour, so the magus had headed to a nearby cafe for a bit of camel's milk. Along the way, he couldn't help but stop at a bookseller's stall that had not been there yesterday. I'm sorry to inform you, Chabad began after perusing a couple of items, This copy of Razaster's Rituals is quite inauthentic. Here, in the ritual of elemental binding, these reagents are all wrong. This will actually... Chabad never got to finish. The merchant bawled him out, cursing in several languages. Chabad fled toward the cafe. The churning in his stomach caused him to stop short. Chabad kneels there in the dust, and prays for the sun god to show favor on him.

Outrider sees the robed human chased out of the book merchant's stall. The mounted machine rides to catch up to him.
Are you harmed?

Prehysterical
2014-07-10, 09:27 PM
The armadillofolk shrugs nonchalantly at Chock's question. "Not anything in particular, for which I am actually glad. I myself am wandering around with no particular direction. Perhaps we could journey together?"

Suddenly, Tlotlen notices a particularly unusual sight: a man kneeling in the street, flanked by a strange man-like machine atop a camel. Even more spectacularly, the one of the few clouds overhead parts slightly and the rays of the sun shine down upon the man.

Recognizing this obvious sign from his god, Tlotlen makes his way over to the man and offers his hand. "You seem troubled, my friend. What disheartens you so? Be not so down, amigo, for the Sun has seen fit to shine upon you and offer his warmth."

hoplathemightly
2014-07-10, 10:03 PM
After getting word from the guardsman about a caravan heading north at high sun tomorrow, Ricardio meanders towards the nearby stands of traveling merchants. Seeing an odd collection of individuals he leans back against a few shipping crates and watches the spectacle unfold, though he can't really hear much of anything they're saying he gets the impression that the majority are either new to the city or just out of sorts. Perhaps there are some opportunities laying in wait. Best to keep an eye of these folk.

Silver Night
2014-07-10, 11:19 PM
Chock

Chock follows his new armadilloesque friend, a pace behind. "It seems we might as well. Friends are valuable in the desert."

dextercorvia
2014-07-11, 02:39 PM
No, not harmed. I was just trying to help the seller to reappraise some wares, and he disagreed with my assessment. Thank you both for your concerns. The goat I had last night was heavily spiced. It seems now that it was so to mask the degree of putridity. The Sun warms my face, may it also warm yours. The man picks himself up out of the dust and extends an open palm to the side of his head. I am called Chabad. Have you newly arrived?

Vhaidara
2014-07-11, 02:46 PM
Outrider hesitates before taking the mage's hand.
I am newly arrived here, though I fail to see any relevance as to your dining habits. I am Outrider, and this is Underrider.

Prehysterical
2014-07-11, 04:01 PM
Tlotlen gives his customary bow. "I am Tlotlen, priest of the Feathered Serpent. I arrived just a few moments ago." Looking backward, he indicates, "This is Chock. He and I have agreed to travel together."

Silver Night
2014-07-11, 05:12 PM
Chock

Chock nods in greeting.

Rizban
2014-07-11, 05:49 PM
The man at the book stall seems to be talking to two of the city guardsmen and trying to discreetly point in the direction of Chabad.

At about the same time, Ricardio notices some of the members of the caravan he inquired about earlier in the day.

A short distance away, nearer the city square, a job board seems to have been posted containing a number of pieces of paper with contact information for various employers.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-11, 09:55 PM
Ah opportunity. Ricardio paces towards the group, tapping Chabad's shoulder as he greets the odd group with a nod. "Hello there, but from the looks of things you have made an enemy of sorts." Ricardio directs the group's attention briefly to the bookseller and the guards with whom he is fervently complaining, "Looks like there may be some trouble coming your way, friend, did you lot have a destination in mind? I had inquired about caravans leaving within the next few days, maybe it'd make a good excuse to preoccupy and relocate yourself." Ricardio waited for a response, smiling kindly.

Vhaidara
2014-07-11, 10:05 PM
Outrider, seeing the guards approaching, positions Underrider between them and Chabad.

Firebrand
2014-07-11, 10:19 PM
Laki, having made her way into the city, moves to the board where the jobs are listed. She reads up on all of them while taking note of the armadillo man and the bizarre metallic humanoid as she walk over there. "Why would a human bother to wear all of that armor?"

As she reads up on the board

"Wakinigo would try to find a buyer for the Fan, find a place to store the money unless he is taking it with him, and then find a job to get more money...."

dextercorvia
2014-07-12, 02:13 PM
An astute observation. Perhaps you all wouldn't mind accompanying me as far as that posting board. I've been seeking gainful employment since the weather patterns changed. Unfortunately, there is a distinct lack of work for a singleton. Chabad looks back at the seller's stall. I assure you I am guilty of no wrongdoing. My experience in these matters indicates that the merchant, having already shown himself to be dishonest in his wares, will likely accuse me of pilfering some item. It would be best if we moved along quickly. Chabad steps quickly now, toward the postings, the thought of eminent pain, banishing the last of his stomach discomfort.

Vhaidara
2014-07-12, 02:26 PM
Outrider nods.
You seem an honest man. I will protect you, should the need arise. And besides, I was going to check the board myself.
Keeping Underrider between Chabad and the guards, Outrider makes her way over to the posting board.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-12, 09:39 PM
"Mind? Of course not, besides I've been looking for a secure way out of the city." Ricardio falls in tow with Chabad and Outrider. "By the way, what's your name if I might inquire? I'm Ricardio Bon Vega, astute traveller of these desert oases. What brings you to Majmurah?" Ricardio gazes at the small armadillo man, "I saw you enter not too long ago."

Silver Night
2014-07-12, 10:38 PM
Chock

Chock, perhaps confusing who Ricardio is talking to, responds, "I'm Chock. I'm also looking to leave the city soon, now that the weather allows."

hoplathemightly
2014-07-12, 11:32 PM
"Chock," Ricardio repeats the name as if trying to commit it to memory. "I hope this doesn't come across as rude or distasteful, but I've not spent any time with a member of your species, what exactly are you?" Ricardio seems fascinated by the insectoid being and quite uncertain of his curiosity.

dextercorvia
2014-07-13, 01:07 PM
You may call me Chabad. I know it sounds quite presumptious, I believe it was my master's idea of a joke. The man smiles, as if anticipating your laughter. He frowns slightly when none is forthcoming.Nevermind, I suppose. I've been told recently that the humor of the magi is different. Several times actually. At length. Chabad's shoulders slump as he realizes he has once again bungled his first impressions.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-13, 01:55 PM
Nevermind, I suppose. I've been told recently that the humor of the magi is different. Several times actually. At length. Chabad's shoulders slump as he realizes he has once again bungled his first impressions.

"Magi?" Ricardio raises an eyebrow in curiosity.

Prehysterical
2014-07-13, 02:57 PM
As the others converse, Tlotlen turns awkwardly to Outrider. Eventually, he asks, "I am sorry, but I have seen nothing like you before. Are you a golem or some such?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 03:02 PM
Outrider looks down at the little man.
I am no mindless construction. The Order of the Ashen Sands found me in a desert ruin, and trained me in the ways of their order. What are you, little one? None of your kind were present in the Order's fortress.

Prehysterical
2014-07-13, 03:15 PM
The "little man" nods in acknowledgement. " I am Armand. Once of the jungle, now of the desert, but always of the sun."

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 03:21 PM
She nods in return.
The Order taught me of the gods. The sun would mean you are a follower of Pelor, correct? The Order is devoted to Heironeous, but my understanding is that the Sun and Justice are allies in many endeavors.

Prehysterical
2014-07-13, 03:33 PM
"Indeed. In fact, it is said that Heironeous' aid was called upon to help free our people.

However, we know the sun by a different name: the Feathered Serpent, Quetzalcoatl. The sun is responsible for more than just fire and light, as you can see. Growing crops, the bringing of the rain... there is much that the sun does for us that is not given credit."

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 03:37 PM
Interesting. I, for one, draw my power from the desert itself. Gods may have power, but they are remote. The desert is present, and it is majestic. Have you ever seen an ashworm?

Prehysterical
2014-07-13, 03:46 PM
One of Tlotlen's long ears tilts curiously at the question. "No, I have not. What are they like?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 04:05 PM
From the tone of her voice, she could be a high school cheerleader talking about the quarterback.
They are glorious creatures! They glide through the sands as though they were water. Noble, loyal, strong. Everything a paladin like I aspires to be. I pray that one day the Order will judge me worthy to ride one again.

Silver Night
2014-07-13, 04:41 PM
"Chock," Ricardio repeats the name as if trying to commit it to memory. "I hope this doesn't come across as rude or distasteful, but I've not spent any time with a member of your species, what exactly are you?" Ricardio seems fascinated by the insectoid being and quite uncertain of his curiosity.

"I am Kreen. My people come from the desert. I think, perhaps, we should consider what to do before the guards arrive?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-13, 04:50 PM
Outrider looks at Chock.
If they seek to do the bidding of a corrupt man, then I will simply inform them that this man is in my custody. Should they bring evidence of his wrongdoing to me, I shall release him to them.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-13, 04:52 PM
"Hmm," Ricardio looked towards the guards. "Well you see, if we act as though nothing is amiss, they'll simply think the scribe is lying. Plus looking for work makes us look as though we're productive members of this little society." Ricardio shrugs.

Rizban
2014-07-13, 06:47 PM
The are numerous listing on the job board, most of which have to do with the trade caravans.
There are two listing looking for generic "adventurers" for a "quest" but with no further details given.
One listing asks for magical assistance in removing of a curse.
There is also one rather large advert for joining the town guard, though they seem to be looking exclusively for humans.

dextercorvia
2014-07-13, 09:06 PM
"Magi?" Ricardio raises an eyebrow in curiosity.

Chabad shrugged at the postings. any would be sufficient, except the last. While the other were looking, he turned to Ricardio. The magi are an order of mages and priests devoted to the Sun, much as our Armand friend there. We seek out spiritual purity and intellectual discovery under his guidance in our desert sanctuary. I must see as much of the waste as possible this next year, before I can become a full member.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-13, 09:47 PM
I must see as much of the waste as possible this next year, before I can become a full member. [/COLOR]

"Is that so? Well caravans tend to hop around quite a bit. And well I've been traveling quite a bit myself, getting to know the deserts much like yourself. Where have you been?" Ricardio watches the guards to make sure their interest in Chabad has subsided or at least abated. The less eyes looking their way, the better.

Firebrand
2014-07-13, 09:50 PM
The are numerous listing on the job board, most of which have to do with the trade caravans.
There are two listing looking for generic "adventurers" for a "quest" but with no further details given.
One listing asks for magical assistance in removing of a curse.
There is also one rather large advert for joining the town guard, though they seem to be looking exclusively for humans.

As Laki is reading the postings and coming to realize that she has no idea which one her husband might have taken if any of them. She notices a group of a half dozen approach the postings. It seemed to consist of four humans including the one completely covered in armor. An insectoid... and an Armand! She had done business with Armands on multiple occasions and hoped that he? might provide her some assistance.

"This must be an adventuring group.... How Exciting!"

As the group came to the postings she approached the Armadillo humanoid as politely as she could in Common.

"Hello," she then notices the Armand's sun disk of Pelor, "Armand Cleric. My name is Lakinigo and I am a Druid of the Hukako Village. I am here to ask for some guidance if it will not trouble you too much."

Prehysterical
2014-07-13, 10:03 PM
Tlotlen beams at her words and gives a clapping bow. "I am Tlotlen. You seek guidance as well? Well then, how might this servant of the sun god help illuminate you?"

Firebrand
2014-07-13, 10:42 PM
Tlotlen beams at her words and gives a clapping bow. "I am Tlotlen. You seek guidance as well? Well then, how might this servant of the sun god help illuminate you?"

"I seek my husband, but he has alluded me for days. I know he seeks to be an adventurer and he is a Bhuka like me. Currently, I believe that my best chance to eventually find him is to join an adventuring group and gain the magical skills to restart my search."

hoplathemightly
2014-07-14, 07:55 PM
Overhearing the brief exchange between Totlen and Laki , Ricardio feels it'd be good to interject. "If your husband is looking to be an adventurer one of these would likely be his choice, they scream band of treasure and dungeon hunters." Ricardio points to the the two postings that mention something about going on a quest. "Does either seem like the type of endeavor that might interest your husband?"

Ricardio considers the group he's surrounded himself with, odd bunch no doubt. They seem capable, and possibly manipulatable; if the need arises that is. He shifted to put weight off the hilt of the dagger hidden in his boot, at least the guards seemed less interested in Chabad. Anything to keep the eyes of authority appeased. So many threads to pull.

Silver Night
2014-07-14, 09:19 PM
Chock

Chock's hands briefly brush against his knife hilts, perhaps a tic or a nervous habit, "What are the rewards like? Might as well ensure we profit, even if we don't find your husband."

dextercorvia
2014-07-14, 10:35 PM
Chabad

I have much to see and learn; I shall defer to the choice of the group. As it is written, 'where there are many voices in agreement, there you will find great wisdom or great folly'. Chabad, grimaces, realizing he has almost insulted these new companions. I sense no folly from you. At any rate, I will keep my eyes open for certain divinations that should make your quest simpler, Lakinigo.

Firebrand
2014-07-14, 11:49 PM
Overhearing the brief exchange between Totlen and Laki , Ricardio feels it'd be good to interject. "If your husband is looking to be an adventurer one of these would likely be his choice, they scream band of treasure and dungeon hunters." Ricardio points to the the two postings that mention something about going on a quest. "Does either seem like the type of endeavor that might interest your husband?"

Ricardio considers the group he's surrounded himself with, odd bunch no doubt. They seem capable, and possibly manipulatable; if the need arises that is. He shifted to put weight off the hilt of the dagger hidden in his boot, at least the guards seemed less interested in Chabad. Anything to keep the eyes of authority appeased. So many threads to pull.

Chock

Chock's hands briefly brush against his knife hilts, perhaps a tic or a nervous habit, "What are the rewards like? Might as well ensure we profit, even if we don't find your husband."

Chabad

I have much to see and learn; I shall defer to the choice of the group. As it is written, 'where there are many voices in agreement, there you will find great wisdom or great folly'. Chabad, grimaces, realizing he has almost insulted these new companions. I sense no folly from you. At any rate, I will keep my eyes open for certain divinations that should make your quest simpler, Lakinigo.

Laki was surprised by how...friendly this foreign group was. It was heartening because although they were familiar her instincts told her that they were not hostile.

Addressing the human with the Kukri and the... Thri-Kreen! Now she remembered

Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]

"I believe that Waki, I mean my husband, would try to go to the highest earning adventure, but from my experiences I have learned that he only does jobs he has full confidence in and he really is barely smart enough to not go for something that is out of his depth. I am of comparable strength to him so that is something to go by, but if he has found companions then it will be much harder to search," She takes a breath, "I apologize for my long winded complaints. The trip has left me frustrated and somewhat confused. In the end I will likely undertake the most profitable quest"

She then turns to the human with a holy symbol, a scroll case, and a staff with two wands on them. This caused her to guess that he was another cleric. "I thank you for your kind words and offerings of help, good sir." Laki could tell the caster was awkward, but did not seem to have any bad intentions.

What good fortune to have encountered such kind people so soon in her journey! Kikanuti must have been smiling upon her this day.

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 09:34 AM
Outrider looks at the Bhuka
Why is your husband not with you? It hardly seems honorable for him to abandon you.

Firebrand
2014-07-15, 01:34 PM
Outrider looks at the Bhuka
Why is your husband not with you? It hardly seems honorable for him to abandon you.

Laki looks at the armored human and as the person speaks she realizes something... The joints have metallic sinew, the mouth clangs and clicks, and the eyes of the creature are completely unlike a human's eye. Was the "human" actually a machine?!?!?!? She decided not to ask for the time being.

"That... is a long story," she says with a sigh, "What it boils down to is that he never wanted to settle in the village forever and plans to earn enough money to live in luxury. He knew that if he ran off that I would follow to try and bring him back. I am certain he will try to convince me to stay with him and live apart from the village." she pauses, "If... if it is not too rude to ask. How did all of you come to meet each other?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 01:38 PM
Outrider is unsurprised by Laki's reaction. She's seen people make that connection before.
That hardly seems like an honorable course of action. Your husband does not sound like he is very good at his duty.
Then the woman asks about how they met.
We just met, and may be needed to defend this mage from injustice brought upon him by his honesty.

Firebrand
2014-07-15, 02:22 PM
Outrider is unsurprised by Laki's reaction. She's seen people make that connection before.
That hardly seems like an honorable course of action. Your husband does not sound like he is very good at his duty.
Then the woman asks about how they met.
We just met, and may be needed to defend this mage from injustice brought upon him by his honesty.

Laki is a bit shocked by how bizarre these circumstances are.

"That is um interesting. I am certain that we could negotiate with the guards since no real harm seems to have been done."

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 02:29 PM
If they are just, my presence will dissuade them. After all, the villainous knave will be in the custody of a paladin.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-15, 02:32 PM
"Injustice is easier to overcome in numbers, a little life lesson." Ricardio smiles, then turns back to regard the board, "This one here, seems like a posting for a profitable endeavor. However if your husband took this job we may have to catch up with him before he gets too deep into trouble. This looks like a con to me, does it look like something he may get involved in?"

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly rizban was considering for the postings but I figure it's not entirely unreasonable that some jerk would post a fake treasure hunt, where the people to show up would be killed and stripped of valuables.

dextercorvia
2014-07-15, 02:37 PM
Chabad swallows. Villainous knave? Custody? Am I to understand that you have arrested me? I thought you believed me when I said I was guilty of no wrongdoing. If this is about my humor, I recognize that it is bad, but not criminal.

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 02:43 PM
Chabad swallows. Villainous knave? Custody? Am I to understand that you have arrested me? I thought you believed me when I said I was guilty of no wrongdoing. If this is about my humor, it recognize that it is bad, but not criminal.

Outrider gives him a small smile.
If necessary, I shall arrest you and keep you in my custody until such time as I can ascertain the truth of your guilt. Which may be once we are outside of the jurisdiction of these guards.

dextercorvia
2014-07-15, 07:29 PM
Ah, I see. Yes, I think it would be best if I remand myself into your custody until such time as these things can be decided. Chabad smiles, less nervously this time. So, my chivalrous construct custodian, do you concur with our companion, that we should consider the case that this communication board has been co-opted by a confidence man?

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 07:32 PM
Outrider nods, glad that the mage understands here point
If that is the case, it would be my duty as a paladin to ensure that no one came to harm due to the posted falsehood.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-15, 08:31 PM
If that is the case, it would be my duty as a paladin to ensure that no one came to harm due to the posted falsehood.

"I've only known one paladin in my twenty five years, and he was amusing at best, bothersome at worst. You seem to be quite agreeable and more importantly dedicated. As for the posting, we could either go to the source and find the poster or go to the location referred by the poster." Ricardio was beginning to feel a bit exposed, standing gathered around a public notice board. He tries to hide his unease and desire to be moving along with a smile.

This is just the sort of situation that Ricardio would be wholly uncomfortable in, a group of seemingly unrelated people in a public place. So I'm going to roll a Bluff check, it's a good opportunity for backstory to leak through if anyone notices.
[roll0]

Prehysterical
2014-07-15, 08:53 PM
Sense Motive:[roll0]

Tlotlen looks at Ricardio curiously. "What ails you so? You seem very ill at ease all of a great sudden. Do you not truly wish for adventure?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 09:14 PM
Outrider looks at Ricardio.
Why are you so eager to move along?

hoplathemightly
2014-07-15, 09:33 PM
Tlotlen looks at Ricardio curiously. "What ails you so? You seem very ill at ease all of a great sudden. Do you not truly wish for adventure?"

"Ill at ease? Bah, not at all friend I do wish to go on an adventure, it's a great opportunity! We should be off at once!"

Outrider looks at Ricardio.
Why are you so eager to move along?

"Um, well nothing overly imperative, simply I feel we may draw unwanted attention to ourselves by loitering at the board for too long."

Firebrand
2014-07-15, 10:53 PM
Laki was well respected in her village due to her wisdom and subsequent casting abilities and due to this people often went to her for mediation which had become instinct by this point, "I understand your concern good sir," she says to Ricardio, "However, I recommend that we speak with the guards that are coming this way in order to clear up any issues. Afterwards we can all journey together toward an adventure or alternatively find an inn to discuss with each other in a more comfortable setting. I hope that this is agreeable with you." True to her name Lakinigo gives everyone a slow motherly smile to encourage cooperation.

Rizban
2014-07-16, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly rizban was considering for the postings but I figure it's not entirely unreasonable that some jerk would post a fake treasure hunt, where the people to show up would be killed and stripped of valuables.*Starts scribbling notes*
The guards write something down while the book merchant becomes increasingly animated. After several minutes, the guards leave, and the book merchant returns to his stall, obviously very angry. For the moment, nothing seems to have come of the event...

The location detailed by the posting is an address near the city entrance. From what little you know of the area, you suspect it to be related to one of the caravans.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-16, 09:49 AM
Laki was well respected in her village due to her wisdom and subsequent casting abilities and due to this people often went to her for mediation which had become instinct by this point, "I understand your concern good sir," she says to Ricardio, "However, I recommend that we speak with the guards that are coming this way in order to clear up any issues. Afterwards we can all journey together toward an adventure or alternatively find an inn to discuss with each other in a more comfortable setting. I hope that this is agreeable with you." True to her name Lakinigo gives everyone a slow motherly smile to encourage cooperation.

"Looks like that may not be necessary, though I'm sure if we have to there won't be any problems, Chabad didn't do anything." Ricardio nods towards the guards leaving the merchant and making no effort to address Chabad.
"In any case, we should check in with the poster, seems the rendezvous is near the city gate."

dextercorvia
2014-07-16, 03:08 PM
Chabad is relieved when the guards leave. This seems agreeable to me. If someone is indeed that nefarious, we would be doing the world a service to investigate.

Silver Night
2014-07-17, 08:26 PM
Chock

Chock grunts, in what is probably agreement.

Rizban
2014-07-18, 01:42 AM
Assuming everyone goes along with the plan...

The lot of you arrive at the city gate and find the address after a few long minutes of searching and finally asking for directions. It seems prominently displayed addresses are not common in this city. You arrive at what appears to be a small office in a less than pristine building crammed in between the headquarters of two larger, apparently wealthy caravanning companies. A small sign above the door reads The Silty Shipping Syndicate, and another copy of the hiring notice you followed here is nailed to the front door next to a more generic "HELP WANTED" sign.

Seeing the building, you suddenly realize that it would be exceedingly cramped inside were all of you to enter as one large group, and you come to the decision that it would be best to send one or two representatives in to apply for the job.

Firebrand
2014-07-18, 12:24 PM
Assuming everyone goes along with the plan...

The lot of you arrive at the city gate and find the address after a few long minutes of searching and finally asking for directions. It seems prominently displayed addresses are not common in this city. You arrive at what appears to be a small office in a less than pristine building crammed in between the headquarters of two larger, apparently wealthy caravanning companies. A small sign above the door reads The Silty Shipping Syndicate, and another copy of the hiring notice you followed here is nailed to the front door next to a more generic "HELP WANTED" sign.

Seeing the building, you suddenly realize that it would be exceedingly cramped inside were all of you to enter as one large group, and you come to the decision that it would be best to send one or two representatives in to apply for the job.

"I have never ventured far from my village, but I am smart enough to know that goblins of any sort are usually unwelcome. I do not think other people should go inside and apply."

dextercorvia
2014-07-18, 04:38 PM
Chabad frowns at the idea of splitting up, but can not see an alternative.

I can cast a simple spell that will help those inside keep in contact with those who wait. I can only connect with four of you, but we will be able to hear each other's whispers. I don't mind going in, but experience tells me I should not do much of the talking.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-18, 09:28 PM
"I can go in, I may be a decent mediator. Another volunteer? I like that idea Chabad, about communicating via whispers, how do we do that?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-18, 09:35 PM
I will wait outside. I am bad at dealing with fleshlings.
She manages to say "fleshlings" in a way that almost doesn't sound offensive.

dextercorvia
2014-07-18, 10:03 PM
"I can go in, I may be a decent mediator. Another volunteer? I like that idea Chabad, about communicating via whispers, how do we do that?"

Oh, it's just a cantrip -- not much of a spell, but useful for pulling someone out of temple without making a scene.

Silver Night
2014-07-19, 12:50 AM
Chock

"I am... not good with people." Chock shifts back and forth slightly, "I can wait out here."

hoplathemightly
2014-07-19, 08:59 AM
Ricardio turns to the small armadillo man, "And you? Feeling up to accompany me?"

hoplathemightly
2014-07-21, 09:20 AM
Ricardio situates himself and throws on his brilliant smile, "All right Chabad, hook us up, and let's go in." Ricardio waits the brief moment for the mental communication link to form and tests it. Can everyone hear me?

dextercorvia
2014-07-21, 11:14 AM
After casting the spell, Chabad looks around at everyone. He sees that look of concentration on Ricardio's face that he remembered from the first time he tried this spell. He lowers his voice to a whisper. You have to actually whisper. I don't have the ability to link us telepathically yet. then louder for all, We shouldn't be long. Chabad gestures for the other man to take the lead.

hoplathemightly
2014-07-21, 01:37 PM
"Oh haha! Of course, at least my thoughts are still private. I really should invest time into studying magic someday. Well then, in we go." Ricardio pushes through the door and looks around the interior, eyeing what he expects to be the owner or at least the person responsible for posting the request for aid. He greets with a flourish and bow, "Hello! You had a sign posted looking for aid for some sort of adventure, we're here to learn more and see if there are openings available still!" Ricardio stands his ground but amicably smiles at the keeper.

dextercorvia
2014-07-21, 02:41 PM
Chabad follows him in, leaving the door slighlty ajar. He keeps quiet as promised, and tries out his best annoyed teacher look.

Rizban
2014-08-03, 12:04 PM
Inside, you realize just how bad it is. The interior walls on either side are just the exterior walls of the adjacent buildings. There is a wooden desk in the middle of the room, quite a bit too large for the space it occupies. The room is sotight that you barely close the door behind you.

A bright-eyed youth of about 17 sits behind the desk, though he looks younger. As you enter, he jumps up and gives a slight bow.

"Welcome! Welcome! A thousand blessings on you! I didn't think anyone would respond to the help wanted signs! Please, I've got all the paperwork right here. When can you start?"

As he speaks, he grabs a few pieces of paper and shoves them your way.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-03, 01:34 PM
"Are we the first to inquire? Do you have any writing utensils, I don't actually have one on my person, Chabad, how about you?" Ricardio turns to Chabad and whispers "I don't think Laki's husband has been here but we'll find out more in a moment or two." He turns back to the young man and smiles, before looking over the papers in front of him.

dextercorvia
2014-08-03, 02:06 PM
Chabad pulls a black feather from his pocket. It appears to have once belonged to a raven. The point has been sharpened to a nib. It is small for a quill, but workable. The magus silently hands it to his companion.

Rizban
2014-08-04, 03:38 AM
The man looks rather dejected, but he quickly recovers.

"Sadly, yes, you are... But you're here now, so everything's going to be fine!"

He gives you a huge grin as you look over the papers. It seems you're holding standard employment contracts common in this part of the world. You fill in the blanks with name, city of residence, and next of kin. Other blanks on the contract stipulate the length of time you'll be employed, the general job you'll be doing, the expected pay, and a short list of common or expected dangers. Oddly, none of the blanks seem to be filled in at all. They give you no indication of what the job is supposed to be!

hoplathemightly
2014-08-04, 10:40 AM
"Hmm, um. There's not much on here? What exactly is this job?" Ricardio looks at the young man quizzically.

Rizban
2014-08-04, 02:26 PM
"Oh, right! Sorry, I'm really new at this. I just inherited the company this past week, you see...

The job, well, the job is to recover a hidden treasure my father discovered. I know right where it is and how to get it, but I need strong, trustworthy people to help me carry it out and keep it safe until we get it back to town. We go, we get it, we come back, we're rich. Simple as that."

dextercorvia
2014-08-04, 04:16 PM
Chabad grimaces. The magus has to grind his teeth together to remain silent. Somehow he manages. He grabs a second quill from his pocket, and dips it in the well on the desk. He fills in the form based on the information provided, pointing at the length of time, and pay blanks, to indicate that information still hasn't been provided.

Rizban
2014-08-04, 04:18 PM
"Oh, well, maybe a week? Two? Pay is going to be whatever you can carry out. There's lots there. Enough for everyone."

dextercorvia
2014-08-04, 06:51 PM
Chabad fills in, Time: Indeterminate -- not more that Two weeks from <today's date>, and Pay: Spoils divided evenly amongst all signatories. His nose twitches, and he turns from the desk briefly to sneeze. Under that cover he whispers, "Not as bad as feared, yet." He turns back, and points to the last blank, Location.

Rizban
2014-08-04, 06:54 PM
Stretching to see what you're writing as you do so, the boy shrugs when you point before grinning.

"Indeterminate. I'm not telling you where the treasure is located! That'd be stupid. I'll lead you there myself."

dextercorvia
2014-08-04, 08:16 PM
Chabad fills in the blank, "A singular undisclosed location, to which the primary signatory (party of the first) guides the undersigned." He looks at the youth to see if this is satisfactory.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-04, 08:48 PM
Ricardio, having been watching over Chabad's shoulder, shrugs at the very astute approach to business that Chabad has affected and opts for a more cordial attitude. "There are more to our party, would you mind if my associate brings some copies to them? So that they may decide for themselves if this endeavor is suitable." Ricardio pats Chabad's shoulder as he turns his head to look out the door, whispering under his voice, "I'll stay here, you go out and explain this to our friends, I'm going to see if I can get more information out of him." Ricardio turns back to the young man, smiling pleasantly.

If Chabad does go outside Ricardio will ask the young man how he came to inherit such valuable information, while implying that the young man's father must have held the information under close protection.
Gather Information check [roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-08-04, 10:05 PM
Chabad simply nods, and copies the relevant information to the other forms quickly and astutely. For now, it is best if he just thinks I am this man's scribe. the magus thinks to himself as he works. When he has the forms prepared to his satisfaction, he carefully holds them up to the desert air to dry the ink. In this arid clime, it never takes long.

Documents dry, and in hand, he reopens the door and steps back out of the claustrophobic cubical. He closes the door almost all the way behind him.

"I'm sorry Laki, it doesn't look like your husband hired on to this mission. Still, it actually sounds promising. The young man believes his dead father left him directions to a treasure. We will each receive a share for protecting him on the way there. The contract terminates after two weeks, or after he leads us astray, so the worst we can come out of it is two weeks for nothing. Well, I suppose death is always a possibility. What do you all think?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 10:11 PM
Outrider nods.
That sounds like a functional arrangement

Silver Night
2014-08-05, 01:27 AM
Chock

Chock's mouthparts click in what is probably assent.

Rizban
2014-08-05, 02:44 AM
Ricardio, having been watching over Chabad's shoulder, shrugs at the very astute approach to business that Chabad has affected and opts for a more cordial attitude. "There are more to our party, would you mind if my associate brings some copies to them? So that they may decide for themselves if this endeavor is suitable." Ricardio pats Chabad's shoulder as he turns his head to look out the door, whispering under his voice, "I'll stay here, you go out and explain this to our friends, I'm going to see if I can get more information out of him." Ricardio turns back to the young man, smiling pleasantly.

If Chabad does go outside Ricardio will ask the young man how he came to inherit such valuable information, while implying that the young man's father must have held the information under close protection.
Gather Information check [roll0]

"Ah, well, see, my father discovered the treasure trove and used it to fund this company. He thought it safest to leave it hidden where it was and only take what he needed, a little at a time. My uncle, however, was really greedy and followed him there one day. After dad left, my stupid uncle got himself locked inside while admiring all the treasure. Eventually, the bandits who stashed it there returned to dump more loot, found him, and killed him. When my father went looking for my greedy uncle, he found what was left of him in the desert. On his way back, he was ambushed by monstrous scorpions and died later from the toxins in their stings."

hoplathemightly
2014-08-05, 08:30 AM
"Oh, that's quite the tale. My condolences. You say this is a bandit's hide out? Have you made any reconnaissance attempts?"

dextercorvia
2014-08-05, 10:33 AM
Chabad looks to Laki and Ttloten. "Is this amenable to you as well?"

Prehysterical
2014-08-05, 12:32 PM
"It is acceptable. I do not think death a likely possibility, so long as I can provide us food and healing. And we look out for each other, of course."

Firebrand
2014-08-05, 03:39 PM
"You need not worry. I never thought this would be a quick trip. This quest sounds perfectly suitable. Life in the village has taught me that more wealth is rarely a bad thing."

dextercorvia
2014-08-05, 05:59 PM
Chabad collects signatures. As he does so, the magus whispers, They agreed.

Once everyone has made their mark, Chabad opens the door, and reenters the office. He nods to Ricardio, and the young man. Setting the papers down on the desk, there are three blanks remaining on each. Chabad signs his name near the bottom, leaving the very last spot and the very first spot on each copy of the contract. He motions to Ricardio and points to the last line. Finally, he gestures for the proprietor to sign on the first line.

Rizban
2014-08-10, 04:23 PM
The young man hurriedly signs the paper with a flourish.

"Great! We'll be starting tonight about an hour before sunset. That gives you... about four hours to prepare! This is so exciting! Bring whatever supplies you're going to need. I'll provide the camels and supplies for them. Other than that, you're on your own..."

He shakes hands with the both of you while grinning like the metaphorical kid in a candy store who just picked up an unlimited line of credit.

dextercorvia
2014-08-10, 04:45 PM
Chabad rolls up their copy of the contract, and slips it into his scrollcase for safekeeping. He exits the shop, and shares the deadline with the rest of the crew. "I don't have any additional preparations to make, so I think I will have tea at a cafe. My treat if any of you would like to join me.

Silver Night
2014-08-10, 09:02 PM
Chock

"I, also, am already prepared. I will join you for tea until it's time to go."

Vhaidara
2014-08-10, 09:03 PM
Outrider looks at the pair.
What is tea?

Prehysterical
2014-08-10, 09:21 PM
Tlotlen looks at Outrider kindly. "Tea is a kind of drink. It is water mixed with leaves or herbs."

Turning to regard Chabad, he says, "I will not say no to a free drink. Thank you, friend."

hoplathemightly
2014-08-11, 11:03 AM
Ricardio scratches his stubble and mentions, "I used to get green tea as an import from the south, loved the stuff, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have some here. Count me in." Ricardio has no other preparations to make, the quick departure is exactly what he had wanted, the sooner they leave the sooner he puts behind his paranoia.

Rizban
2014-08-11, 11:52 AM
You find a small cafe that sells tea. It seems the only kind they offer is a type of chai brewed with camel's milk, lots of sugar, and a touch of a strange, peppery spice that leaves a slight tingle on the tongue. They ask for 5 silver per cup.

Firebrand
2014-08-11, 04:04 PM
You find a small cafe that sells tea. It seems the only kind they offer is a type of chai brewed with camel's milk, lots of sugar, and a touch of a strange, peppery spice that leaves a slight tingle on the tongue. They ask for 5 silver per cup.

Laki joins the group for tea, but politely declines the drink. Instead she merely drinks from her waterskin.

"There is no need to pay for my sustenance," Laki reasons, "Ricardio, can you give us more details on our upcoming quest?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-11, 04:50 PM
Outrider has also joined them, though she remains mounted. Perceptive individuals might notice that her legs seem a bit thin for how large of a construct she is.
I agree. Tell us more of our employment.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-11, 08:44 PM
Ricardio has bought a cup, willing to try something new, he leaves a small stack of hexagonal silver pieces on the table. "Mmm, not bad, I do enjoy good camel milk." He pauses a moment to savor the tea before answering, "Well our employer claims that his father found an abandoned treasure trove, his uncle greedily sought the treasure and didn't return, or something like that. Anyway his father went after him but hasn't returned. So we're body guards, who are entitled to as much of the treasure that we can take. I suggest we invest in a cart and a cartographer. The kid is to be our guide. Seems simple enough to me." Ricardio leans back in his chair, sipping more tea, and perusing his coin purse.

Since he omitted information I'll roll a Bluff check, though I don't know if it will apply. [roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-08-11, 09:57 PM
Please, keep your money in your pouch, Ricardio. You did a fine job negotiating, and I wish to treat my new friends. Chabad places 3 gold coins on the table. I don't think that things will go exactly as promised, but I believe that whatever happens, Pelor willing, this group can handle it.

Silver Night
2014-08-11, 11:14 PM
Chock

Chock holds a tea cup delicately in one chitinous claw and sips, "Sounds a bit suspicious. Then again, plenty of bad things in the desert, shouldn't matter so much if one is our employer."

Firebrand
2014-08-12, 12:42 PM
"Things are getting risky already. How exciting! I can help invest in a cart," Laki says. Once the Chai arrives despite her protests, Laki sips the tea and discovers that she adores the taste! Sugar is rare in Bhuka and Laki cherishes the opportunities. Laki gulps down the tea as quickly as her slightly burnt tongue will allow her. She is of course a bit embarrassed at her display of indulgence. "Are there err... any spells that might help us navigate unfamiliar areas of the Desert?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 12:46 PM
Outrider looks at the sugar-loving goblin.
You are a strange individual.

Firebrand
2014-08-12, 12:54 PM
Outrider looks at the sugar-loving goblin.
You are a strange individual.

Laki required all of her considerable willpower to not say "I could say the same to you." But she felt that although she enjoyed being witty. Laki simply did not know this group well enough to "let her hair down" as the expression that Wikitagan had once mentioned to her went.

Instead Laki said with some reserve, "I... hope it is not too rude to ask, but... are you going to drink your tea?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 01:04 PM
Outrider realizes that a cup had been ordered for her.
I do not drink. It is hardly necessary.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-12, 02:05 PM
"I do believe that a cart would be beneficial, easier than carrying out treasures in our hands and pockets. I'll see about finding us some chests, and locks. A cart shouldn't be too difficult to put our hands on, though we'll need a camel, maybe two. Our employer will be providing our transport, but I expect camels and feed to pull the cart would be best." He looks to Laki bemused by the goblinoid. "When I finish this cup I'll be off to find a few supplies, anyone care to join me?"

dextercorvia
2014-08-12, 08:37 PM
That plan is sound. I'll accompany you. I have some experience with camels, I can make sure the ones they sell are healthy and strong.

[roll0] Knowledge Nature check

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 08:51 PM
Outrider nods.
I was raised among knights riding camels. Underrider is a fine breed. Surely his opinion would be useful.
Underrider spits onto the table next to the cup of tea that was ordered for Outrider. Very much "I could have spit there, but I didn't".

I will never have a not-Discworld camel.
For those of you who don't know, the average Discworld camel has an Int of 19. They just don't speak.

Firebrand
2014-08-12, 09:29 PM
"I have confidence in my command of nature lore and that includes animals. I shall accompany you," Laki says.

Knowledge (Nature):
[roll0]

hoplathemightly
2014-08-12, 11:30 PM
Ricardio finishes off the remainder of his tea and looks quizzically at the camel, "Did that camel just speak?" Opening his purse he slides the silver pieces back inside and pulls the drawstring. With a showy flourish he stashes his purse in one of the many pockets in his cloak, it's hard to follow which one specifically he stows it in. "I'm ready to go find us some loot haulers."

Prehysterical
2014-08-13, 12:06 AM
Tlotlen sits quietly at the table, sipping on this strange, but wonderful, drink. It almost reminds me of horchata.

Setting the cup down, he says, "I think I will stay here and enjoy this wonderful drink. Are you caring to keep me company, Chokk? I have questions I would ask of you, if you do not mind."

Silver Night
2014-08-13, 02:04 AM
Chock

"Ask away."

Firebrand
2014-08-13, 09:04 AM
Ricardio finishes off the remainder of his tea and looks quizzically at the camel, "Did that camel just speak?" Opening his purse he slides the silver pieces back inside and pulls the drawstring. With a showy flourish he stashes his purse in one of the many pockets in his cloak, it's hard to follow which one specifically he stows it in. "I'm ready to go find us some loot haulers."

"I am also ready to go," Laki says.

Vhaidara
2014-08-13, 09:22 AM
The warforged gives Ricardio a look.
No, Underrider does not talk. He's too smart.
Outrider nods as they mention getting the rest of the camels.
Let us be off then.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-13, 10:59 AM
Outrider nods.
I was raised among knights riding camels. Underrider is a fine breed. Surely his opinion would be useful.
Underrider spits onto the table next to the cup of tea that was ordered for Outrider. Very much "I could have spit there, but I didn't".

I will never have a not-Discworld camel.
For those of you who don't know, the average Discworld camel has an Int of 19. They just don't speak.

Ricardio scratches his short, sandy hair as he regards the camel. Hmmm, odd. he thinks to himself. "Well then, let's go! We haven't much time, I think the camels should be our first priority, then the cart and chests." Ricardio stands up and bows to Chabad, "Thanks for the cup of tea. It was delicious."

dextercorvia
2014-08-13, 03:08 PM
Chabad also stands, and bows back. We should proceed with alacrity. My chronometric estimations would indicate that we have sufficient time for the task, but lack a superfluity.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-13, 09:37 PM
"Super fluidity? What's that?" Ricardio asks of Chabad as they begin their trek to find suitable supplies.

dextercorvia
2014-08-13, 10:04 PM
Without missing a beat, Chabad calls upon is knowledge of the arcane to answer Ricardio's question. "Superfluidity is a magical condition of the elements, normally affected by an evocation, where the particular element is altered by the removal of all viscous forces. This causes the elemental energy to self propel. While an interesting topic of discourse, I fail to see how this is relevant to either our quest or timeline."

Firebrand
2014-08-13, 10:26 PM
Without missing a beat, Chabad calls upon is knowledge of the arcane to answer Ricardio's question. "Superfluidity is a magical condition of the elements, normally affected by an evocation, where the particular element is altered by the removal of all viscous forces. This causes the elemental energy to self propel. While an interesting topic of discourse, I fail to see how this is relevant to either our quest or timeline."

"Will we be going for a two wheeled cart or a four wheeled wagon?" Lakinigo says.

dextercorvia
2014-08-14, 12:53 PM
"Ah, yes, back to the topic at hand. The wagon would be more capacious, but the cart has definite mobility advantages. There are benefits to both courses, but I prize mobility over volume. If we are unable to navigate a wagon into this locale, then we will be incapable of profiting from its increased capacity. Furthermore, the diminished cost implies fewer losses if the entire expedition turns out to be profitless."

hoplathemightly
2014-08-15, 05:08 PM
"I agree with Chabad, a cart would be better, fewer animals to protect and feed."

Firebrand
2014-08-15, 08:29 PM
"You have swayed my opinion," Laki turns to Outrider and musters up some courage, "You have been caring for your camel for some time, so you know how difficult they might be to care for. Do you think it best we take a cart or wagon?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 08:39 PM
I have learned to ride, not pull carts. Underrider, likewise, is trained to bear a rider, not a vehicle.

Prehysterical
2014-08-16, 07:35 PM
Tlotlen regards Chokk curiously.

"Do your people live only in the desert? Are you born with all four arms, or do the other pair grow out?"

Firebrand
2014-08-16, 09:39 PM
I have learned to ride, not pull carts. Underrider, likewise, is trained to bear a rider, not a vehicle.

"I apologize for the miscommunication. I meant to ask if you believe it smarter to buy a cart or a wagon."

Vhaidara
2014-08-16, 09:41 PM
Outrider explains her point.
I have no experience with carts or wagons.

Firebrand
2014-08-17, 12:58 PM
Outrider explains her point.
I have no experience with carts or wagons.

"To my ears that sounds like an abstain. Where might we purchase a cart?"

Laki looks around for any official looking guards that she could ask for directions

hoplathemightly
2014-08-17, 02:04 PM
Ricardio ponders for a moment, not having to rely on transportation of this type for some time the answer to Laki's question doesn't jump out at him right away. "Perhaps a carpenter would be a good place to start. I'm not entirely sure where such things are purchased. I would expect we could find one easily enough though." Ricardio breaks away from the group to approach a vendor who seems to be selling small trinkets made of some sort of ivory. "Hello there, might I trouble you with a question, do you know of any carpenters in the area? Or where I could invest in a cart and camels?"

Gather Info check [roll0]

Silver Night
2014-08-17, 02:10 PM
Chock

Tlotlen regards Chokk curiously.

"Do your people live only in the desert? Are you born with all four arms, or do the other pair grow out?"

"So far as I know, we are born with all four, and we live in the desert." Chock shrugs, "I do not know so much of my people, as the rest of my clutch was killed when I was quite young. I grew up among mostly humans."

Prehysterical
2014-08-17, 09:29 PM
Tlotlen's ears fall in sadness.

"Oh... I am sorry. I did not know. I am the only one of my kind so far to wander this desert alone. Perhaps you would like to join with me, even after this expedition? It would be nice to have someone to talk to as Queztalcoatl soars across the sky."

dextercorvia
2014-08-18, 12:27 PM
They had been walking for a couple of minutes so it surprised Chabad that no one else knew where they were going. Oh, I assumed we were going to A'dan's establiment, since we were traveling in that direction. He is a wainwright of some esteem in this community. I believe he also keeps a small stable of camels and mules for his customers' convenience.

Firebrand
2014-08-18, 04:04 PM
They had been walking for a couple of minutes so it surprised Chabad that no one else knew where they were going. Oh, I assumed we were going to A'dan's establiment, since we were traveling in that direction. He is a wainwright of some esteem in this community. I believe he also keeps a small stable of camels and mules for his customers' convenience.

Laki is internally relieved to know that the wizard... uh Chabad, knows about a location where they could go to. "I know that carts are generally 15 gold, but do you know the prices for A'dan's camels and mules?"

dextercorvia
2014-08-18, 05:51 PM
Supposing that we let a loquacious and shrewd negotiator like our companion, Ricardio do the bartering, it is possible, if unlikely, that A'dan may offer us compensation for the favor of relieving him from the ongoing upkeep of such a beast. Highly improbable, but there is a saying among my people, "Anything may happen under the Sun. Ah, here it is now" Chabad points to a fenced in courtyard where several wagons and carts are under construction.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-18, 07:36 PM
Ricardio stretches a bit as they approach their destination, the place doesn't appear very busy unless the bulk of transactions occurs inside, the builders are the only ones moving around. "I don't know about loquacious but I am shrewd. Is this place often this devoid of life?" He asks of Chabad

dextercorvia
2014-08-18, 08:14 PM
The late afternoon is an unusual time for business transactions of any sort in this settlement. The indigenous tend to seek shelter and shade for these couple hours.

Silver Night
2014-08-18, 09:16 PM
Chock

Chock bobs his amiably enough, "Perhaps. Queztalcoatl?"

hoplathemightly
2014-08-19, 09:51 AM
Ricardio looks up at the sun, creeping past its midway point. "It is rather hot, let us enter and see if we can get what we need before our employer becomes impatient. Did we disclose the meeting point with the rest of our group before heading out here, I was rather enamored with my tea."

dextercorvia
2014-08-20, 01:26 PM
I'm certain that we mentioned it. I believe this cart would be an appropriate conveyance. Does it meet your requirements? Chabad points to a two wheeled affair with a small seat that could accommodate a rider.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-20, 10:19 PM
"It looks good enough, as long as it can hold a decent amount of weight I'd figure it'll serve us well enough."

Firebrand
2014-08-21, 04:45 PM
"It looks good enough, as long as it can hold a decent amount of weight I'd figure it'll serve us well enough."

"How expensive will the feed for the camels or mules we will likely buy?"

dextercorvia
2014-08-21, 10:07 PM
If properly cared for, a dromedary will spend the storm season grazing and resting. That stored energy will sustain it, supplemented only by what stray vegetation we manage to encounter. I can purchase a small amount of grain as a contingency plan.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-22, 07:30 AM
"Right, I don't see any reason for more than a single sack of grain for them."

Firebrand
2014-08-22, 01:59 PM
If properly cared for, a dromedary will spend the storm season grazing and resting. That stored energy will sustain it, supplemented only by what stray vegetation we manage to encounter. I can purchase a small amount of grain as a contingency plan.

"Right, I don't see any reason for more than a single sack of grain for them."

"That's right! I thank you for the reminder because I am an experienced druid and it would be shameful if I did not know such things about common desert animals. I can also prepare Goodberry's for emergencies."

OoC: *sweating buckets*

hoplathemightly
2014-08-23, 07:20 PM
"Do you need berries to do that?"

Prehysterical
2014-08-23, 08:02 PM
Chock

Chock bobs his amiably enough, "Perhaps. Queztalcoatl?"

Tlotlen brightens considerably.

"Ah, yes, the glorious Feathered Serpent. Most know him as Pelor the sun god. His servants came and liberated us from our oppressors long ago. We have paid homage in thanks ever since. Tell me, friend, which god do you ask for guidance?"

Firebrand
2014-08-23, 08:29 PM
"Do you need berries to do that?"

Yes, but they are not overly expensive and it is possible for me to find them on the way."

Silver Night
2014-08-24, 03:29 AM
Chock

Tlotlen brightens considerably.

"Ah, yes, the glorious Feathered Serpent. Most know him as Pelor the sun god. His servants came and liberated us from our oppressors long ago. We have paid homage in thanks ever since. Tell me, friend, which god do you ask for guidance?"

"None. Here in the desert, the sun can be an unkind god."

Rizban
2014-08-24, 07:27 PM
Seeing people poking around, one of the workers fetches the proprietor. A short, pudgy man (http://micharri02210i.deviantart.com/art/arab-2-love-62104507) with approaches you from within the building.

"Hello there. What can I do for you?"

hoplathemightly
2014-08-25, 10:19 AM
"Hello, we're just looking to purchase a cart. We heard of your establishment and came to see the merchandise. Good craftsmanship. What kind of load can this one support? How many camels would it take to pull it?" Ricardio goes right into shopping mode, presenting gracious curiosity and praise.

dextercorvia
2014-08-25, 01:47 PM
Chabad held his tongue, since that had worked so well the last time. Life outside of Har Magiddo was more difficult than he had imagined it would be. He had never been good with people, but his fellow magi had understood his idiosyncrasies. Fortunately this group was tolerant, but Chabad was wise enough to know that misplaced word could swing the negotiations out of their favor.

So, instead of talking, he looked over the mechanics of the cart. It was a simple affair but sturdy. He examined the axle and shafts, looking for flaws or signs of weakness. Satisfied, that his examination back up his first impression, Chabad nods at Ricardio.

Rizban
2014-08-25, 04:50 PM
"A cart like that will carry eight to nine hundred stone. Any more than that, and it's going to get stuck. You take that much weight into softer sand, and it's going to get stuck. A camel can pull more weight than that on its own, but it won't."

The merchant squints at the two of you for a moment. When the inspection is finished he says, "Chabad! That you? It's been too long since you last came by."

dextercorvia
2014-08-25, 09:52 PM
"Yes, Master A'dan. I did not say anything, as I thought you would not remember me. Is your smith, Duma, fully recovered?" It has been at least a month since Chabad had healed the man of some nasty burns. "When my colleagues suggested we purchase a cargo conveyance, I naturally thought of your establishment. I found your taking personal responsibility for the remuneration of your workman's expenses to be exceedingly honorable."

Firebrand
2014-08-26, 09:57 AM
"Yes, Master A'dan. I did not say anything, as I thought you would not remember me. Is your smith, Duma, fully recovered?" It has been at least a month since Chabad had healed the man of some nasty burns. "When my colleagues suggested we purchase a cargo conveyance, I naturally thought of your establishment. I found your taking personal responsibility for the remuneration of your workman's expenses to be exceedingly honorable."

Laki is relieved to see that despite Chabad's awkwardness he had managed to be less lonely than he first appeared. For now she realized that there was little to add to the conversation, but Laki was happy to find that her presence as a Bhuka failed to disrupt the negotiations.

Rizban
2014-08-27, 08:32 PM
A'dan nods. "Yeah, Duma's fine, but that camel you said looked like it'd be fine came up lame two days later...

So, what do you an' the wee goblin here need a cart for?"

dextercorvia
2014-08-28, 09:30 AM
"How unfortunate for you and the animal. If you had sent for me I would have returned. Still, I cannot accept compensation for a duty poorly performed. If you show me the camel, I will do what I can, and refund your ten golds if my skill is not up to the challenge. As to the cart, I have joined a troupe of adventurers. If all goes well, we will need the cart to bear the multitude of riches we uncover during our endeavors. Else, I will need the space to convey injured and dead comrades back to safety."

Chabad smiles, and waves a single hand out to the side, which you are beginning to see is a sign that he believes he has told a joke.

hoplathemightly
2014-08-28, 10:38 AM
"Ha ha, good one Chabad! Though that's a fair point. We're not exactly sure of the location, or the terrain that we may encounter. Our employer was a bit on the withholding side. Are there carts you'd recommend for any type of terrain? I imagine that standard wheels wouldn't fair well in dunes."

Firebrand
2014-08-28, 10:14 PM
A'dan nods. "Yeah, Duma's fine, but that camel you said looked like it'd be fine came up lame two days later...

So, what do you an' the wee goblin here need a cart for?"

Laki has no eyebrows to raise which is good or else she might have looked a bit offended. Instead Laki places her left hand above her breast and bows her head in respectful acknowledgement at the proprietor.

Prehysterical
2014-09-01, 05:35 PM
Tlotlen sighs sadly at the mantisfolk's observation.

"I suppose it can be, but does not water flood and drown? Does the earth not shift and swallow? The very air not breathe furious gusts and blind us with tossed-up sand? If you only focus on the negative aspects, and never on the blessings, then there is truly nothing which is good at all."

Silver Night
2014-09-03, 01:55 AM
Chock

"Don't know about all that." Chock contemplates for a moment, "Seems to me, though, that if you just pay attention to the good, you're likely to run out of water, or find yourself eaten by something. Suppose it's all a balance."

Rizban
2014-09-05, 01:23 PM
A'dsan scratches at his chin for a moment before responding.

"The camel's already been put down and replaced. Wasn't really your fault, so no worries.

Well, these wheels are made to travel the hard packed earth of the town. They won't fair too well out on the dunes. I've got some cutters though what should you ya good on open sand, but they'll get tore up right fast on harder ground, especially if you're carrying any weight.

The biggest danger you'll face out there though be broken axels. That's gonna ruin the whole cart.

I'll tell you what I'll do for ya. Let's make a deal. I'll loan you a nice cart and camel to pull it, two spare axels, and a set of regular wheels and set of cutters. You give me 1,000 gold or 5% of your total haul for as long as you have the cart, whichever is more when you return it."

hoplathemightly
2014-09-05, 02:57 PM
Ricardio considers this proposition for a moment before asking, "Could you show up how to swap out the wheels for the cutters?"

Rizban
2014-09-06, 10:19 AM
He shows you you how the wheels are held on with an iron pin through the axel. Simply pulling the pin allows the wheel to be slid off.

Cutters are basically wide, thick wheels with a v-shaped design that, if any of you were familiar with the sea, would be reminiscent of the hull of a ship. Cutters are designed to push the sand down and out, compressing it enough to support the weight of the wagon.

dextercorvia
2014-09-06, 04:49 PM
Chabad

Master A'dan. I feel it is my duty to point out that you misspoke. You said one thousand, when you clearly mean one hundred golds. Even your superior work can not claim that sort of premium. I have never met a camel worth more than fifty golds, although I have observed that people are often charged more. And, a cart -- even one of this quality -- is worth less than half of that. So, even as an opening position, your figure is obviously erroneously inflated. As I understand bargaining, you were supposed to open with a figure around one hundred fifty gold pieces. Master Ricardio here would then counter with something around seventy-five golds. You would then complain that he would see your eighteen children starve. He would accuse you of banditry, and eventually the two of you would decide on a figure between ninety-five and one-hundred five golds, depending on whichever of you is the better negotiator. May I suggest, that we save ourselves the time in the heat, and take the mean one hundred gold, and go about our business. I would loathe going to Master Horta's establishment at this hour of the day. Your chief competitor has been doing brisk business this season, and I despise lines.

hoplathemightly
2014-09-07, 11:33 AM
Ricardio gives Chabad a wry look of exasperation mixed with maybe a hint of pity. Casually slips his arm around Chabad's shoulders and directs him to the side where says quietly, "I truly appreciate your sense of urgency, given our limited time window but trying to exploit the proper value for a piece of merchandise is usually best not handled in such a blunt manner. I do enjoy seeing the looks on faces though after hearing something like that!" Ricardio laughs at the end, acting as though Chabad has just made a joke, turns to A'dan and says, "Good sir, pardon Chabad, we are in a hurry and he let his urge to be done with this negotiation overtake his common etiquette. Now that being said, I do agree with him, 1000 gold pieces is far too steep, my father ran many convoys of high quality wagons through the desert. Though I was never there for his bartering with his provider, I did often spend my time in the records books, and I can definitely tell you he never wasted 1000 gold on any single wagon. Now given the consideration of properly addressing our needs I'd say 75 gold would be reasonable for wagon and a camel."

dextercorvia
2014-09-07, 10:38 PM
Chabad hangs his head, once again realizing that he has alienated people with his words. The magi did not understand how simple truths were so hard for others to hear, but he had learned that arguing did not help at all. He left Ricardio to the haggling and began walking around the cart. Thinking about the problem Master A'dan had stated with the wheels being suitable only to hard earth or sand, but not both, Chabad pulls a charcoal stick and folded piece of parchment from one of his pockets. He begins sketching while the bargaining is going on.

Rizban
2014-09-09, 08:41 AM
A'dan smiles a friendly smile as you speak, but it somehow turns slightly malicious as an avaricious glint appears in his eyes.

"Friends, I assure you 1,000 gold is cheap for a wagon of this quality meant a quest of this importance. Surely a quest as great as the one you propose should not balk in an attempt at frugality. As I said, payment is due on return, and surely you can't find a better deal.

I can also assure you that should you look elsewhere, prices will be equally high at every other vendor, but then every other vendor in the whole of the city would also be aware of your trafficking such valuable through the empty wastes... places devoid of friends and allies who only seek to help you. Friends like me."

You feel as if he's trying to intimidate you...

dextercorvia
2014-09-10, 06:21 PM
Sir, how dare you imply! That is the flimsiest excuse for extortion I have ever seen. I am not afraid of your idle threats. Few would be so foolish as to anger the Magi. I can stand your overinflated sense of greed no longer. I bid you good day! May Pelor always grant your enemies water and shade! As he rattles off the curse, Chabad thrusts his charcoal stick and parchment back into one of his voluminous pockets and stalks out of the cartwright's courtyard. Walking through the gate, the holy man encourages his companions to follow. I beseech you all to not listen for another minute to the deluded ramblings of this incorrigible scoundrel, lest you be tainted by the mere presence of his greed.

Firebrand
2014-09-10, 08:46 PM
Sir, how dare you imply! That is the flimsiest excuse for extortion I have ever seen. I am not afraid of your idle threats. Few would be so foolish as to anger the Magi. I can stand your overinflated sense of greed no longer. I bid you good day! May Pelor always grant your enemies water and shade! As he rattles off the curse, Chabad thrusts his charcoal stick and parchment back into one of his voluminous pockets and stalks out of the cartwright's courtyard. Walking through the gate, the holy man encourages his companions to follow. I beseech you all to not listen for another minute to the deluded ramblings of this incorrigible scoundrel, lest you be tainted by the mere presence of his greed.

Laki paces back with Chabad in obvious discomfort. Cash/gold was not as commonly used and her village utilized bartering by goods more often than not. Sadly, this brings a certain disadvantage to her when dealing with trades outside of her comfort zone.

Rizban
2014-09-10, 10:10 PM
A'dan shrugs.

"It's the standard adventurer seeking buried treasure package. You don't want it, then you don't have to take it..."

Vhaidara
2014-09-11, 10:02 AM
Outrider nudges Underrider, and the camel trots forward.
Sir, I am a holy knight on a quest to earn her place in the order. Surely you can afford some kind of a discount to aid a noble warrior?

Here we go...
Diplomacy: [roll0]

hoplathemightly
2014-09-11, 12:53 PM
Ricardio watches Chabad and Laki leave the compound as Outrider tries to negotiate a better price. If only this could be as simple as forging a bill of sale and stealing the darned wagon and camel.

Rizban
2014-09-12, 09:08 AM
Outrider nudges Underrider, and the camel trots forward.
Sir, I am a holy knight on a quest to earn her place in the order. Surely you can afford some kind of a discount to aid a noble warrior?

Here we go...
Diplomacy: [roll0]"I suppose that for a holy quest to pillage loot that I can lower it to 900."

hoplathemightly
2014-09-12, 11:34 AM
Ricardio nudges Outrider with his elbow, a bit too hard and actually causes himself a modicum of pain. "Good job talking him down. And what would that translate into for percentage take of the loot? You know what, we'll take it, for a percentage of our take in this expedition." Ricardio turns to Outrider, "I'm going to take care of the paperwork, why don't you stay here and make sure the cart is ready to go as soon as possible." Ricardio then moves up to Master A'dan, "Shall we go take care of the paperwork?"

Ricardio will follow A'dan into his office of operations, look over the paperwork and if the paperwork seems as straightforward as A'dan has claimed the rental to be; Ricardio will sign, as Taylor Jurn. Afterward returning to Outrider and leaving with their new wagon.

Prehysterical
2014-09-15, 01:25 PM
Sitting at the table, discussing philosophy and culture with the thri-kreen, Tlotlen eventually says,

"I am beginning to grow concerned. Should we go see what has kept them?"

Silver Night
2014-09-16, 12:40 AM
Chock

I suppose we'd better.

Rizban
2014-09-16, 09:10 AM
Ricardio nudges Outrider with his elbow, a bit too hard and actually causes himself a modicum of pain. "Good job talking him down. And what would that translate into for percentage take of the loot? You know what, we'll take it, for a percentage of our take in this expedition." Ricardio turns to Outrider, "I'm going to take care of the paperwork, why don't you stay here and make sure the cart is ready to go as soon as possible." Ricardio then moves up to Master A'dan, "Shall we go take care of the paperwork?"

Ricardio will follow A'dan into his office of operations, look over the paperwork and if the paperwork seems as straightforward as A'dan has claimed the rental to be; Ricardio will sign, as Taylor Jurn. Afterward returning to Outrider and leaving with their new wagon.A'dan gives you a suspicious look as you sign, but otherwise, everything seems to be in order.

hoplathemightly
2014-09-17, 12:01 PM
"Great doing business with you A'dan, I'll be sure to commemorate your generosity." Ricardio then exits with his copy of the paperwork, meets Outrider outside as the wagon is being prepared. "Everything is in order friend, we just need to catch up to our other companions and invest in provisions, like water for instance."

Firebrand
2014-09-17, 09:53 PM
"Great doing business with you A'dan, I'll be sure to commemorate your generosity." Ricardio then exits with his copy of the paperwork, meets Outrider outside as the wagon is being prepared. "Everything is in order friend, we just need to catch up to our other companions and invest in provisions, like water for instance."

Laki is near Outrider, still a bit curious about what makes the mechanoid figuratively and literally tick, "I can create water with my magic or even find water in the desert. Putting water weight on our camels will slow them down and unnecessarily exhaust them. Are there other supplies we should consider?"

dextercorvia
2014-09-18, 04:19 PM
Chabad paces in the street, silently fuming at the merchant.

hoplathemightly
2014-09-18, 07:53 PM
"I'm not sure, I've always felt water to be necessary, but if that's taken care of then I'm at a loss. Usually I travel with others who are well informed as to traveling provisions. Food maybe?"

Firebrand
2014-09-19, 05:07 PM
"I'm not sure, I've always felt water to be necessary, but if that's taken care of then I'm at a loss. Usually I travel with others who are well informed as to traveling provisions. Food maybe?"

Laki nods her head, "Aside from food, I believe we should bring scarves, turbans, and other tight fitting cloths to protect ourselves from the windy sands. Tents, firewood, and sleeping bags should be taken for the cold nights when we cannot find a cave. If any one of us has a compass that would allow me to make another 8 gallons of water. Laki looks at Outrider tentatively, "Metal armor will heat up considerably. uhhh will your mount be alright carrying you when you heat up?" She says trying to mask her real question of "will you be alright when you heat up?"

Rizban
2014-09-19, 05:09 PM
Having lived in the desert for quite some time, you all are already well equipped with the proper clothing already. As for the rest... you'll have to check your inventories to see if you have what you need or purchase it.

Prehysterical
2014-09-19, 08:11 PM
After searching for what seems like too long, Tlotlen finally spots the rest of their small company.

"Did all go well? Do we have what we need?"

dextercorvia
2014-09-19, 09:29 PM
Not well at all. Adan is knave and a scoundrel. I could stand him no longer. I think Ricardio and Outrider were able negotiate a reasonable arrangement. Chabad shrugged. I need to purchase a small amount of travel food, and then I'm ready.

Can I just buy some rations off camera. You have me scared that I might get charged 100gp to lease the rations. :smallbiggrin:

hoplathemightly
2014-09-19, 11:26 PM
"Though I can wrap my cloak tightly, I think a scarf would be a wise investment. I also need food and bedroll, depending on the pricing for firewood I could pitch it for that." Ricardio checks the paperwork searching for an estimated travel time to accurately purchase the firewood they would need. "Other then that, I believe I am well enough. I think we should invest in some chests, or barrels, might need the extra storage space."

Rizban
2014-09-20, 02:54 PM
Yeah, you can buy rations and basic stuff off screen if you want.

Silver Night
2014-09-25, 06:11 PM
Chock

Chock follows, apparently assuming his presence is indication enough of both his agreement and readiness.

dextercorvia
2014-10-01, 09:21 AM
The magi's mind wanders as he walks beside the cart to their rendezvous. Chabad had traveled some in the wastes, but this was the first adventure the scholarly man had ever been on. While recovering stolen property seemed honorable enough, Chabad had some reservations about the intentions of their employer.

hoplathemightly
2014-10-05, 04:00 PM
Seeing Chabad's contemplative stare, Ricardio felt it would be wise to keep tabs on the people he'd be relying upon during this voyage. "Are you alright Chabad? You seem distracted."

dextercorvia
2014-10-05, 05:00 PM
"I am distracted, and disappointed, Ricardio." The mage's shoulders slump. "I'm not the best with people, but usually I have a good sense about whether someone is honorable or dishonorable. I mistook Master Adan for the former. The sun shines on the wicked and the righteous alike, but why would someone choose to be so villainous, when they stand to profit more from righteousness. And, no my friend, I don't mean eternal profit, though there is that, too. I have some misgivings about our employer, as well, but vigilance is the only answer to that quandary."

hoplathemightly
2014-10-06, 10:20 PM
Ricardio considers Chabad's words before responding, "I understand your disappointment, when you have a preconceived notion of someone that is proven inaccurate it can make you question your ability to read people. I wouldn't concern yourself too much though, people are prone to change their nature based on the circumstances. As for our employer, I think he's over eager, and a bit too wary of us to indulge our every curiosity. Time will hopefully change that."

Prehysterical
2014-10-08, 09:43 PM
Tlotlen shakes his head sadly.

"A shame that may be, but do not carry the weight of his sin on your shoulders. We are only responsible for ourselves. Each of us is a tree in the forest, part of a whole but ultimately responsible for our own care and standing in the sun's judgment. Let his rotten core betray him when the wind blows strong, if he is indeed so vile. The sun sees all."

Firebrand
2014-10-09, 08:19 PM
Tlotlen shakes his head sadly.

"A shame that may be, but do not carry the weight of his sin on your shoulders. We are only responsible for ourselves. Each of us is a tree in the forest, part of a whole but ultimately responsible for our own care and standing in the sun's judgment. Let his rotten core betray him when the wind blows strong, if he is indeed so vile. The sun sees all."

Laki thinks to herself, "Everyone is very respectful of the sun in its many forms. That is quite reasonable. I should take note of this."

hoplathemightly
2014-10-11, 01:40 PM
"The Sun is a powerful entity, especially in such an environment as this, where it's rays can be helpful and destructive without impunity."