PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Are these any good? (PEACH)

Larkas
2014-07-10, 04:33 PM
I've been trying to make a few fighter feats, that are basically "a feat tree on steroids, in a single feat". However, I don't know if my method is any good. Would you please judge it for me?

---

Combat Training (Combat)
You have spent a lot of time training a single combat mastery technique.
Benefits: You are treated as a fighter of level equal to your base attack bonus, but only with respect to a single (Mastery) feat.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new (Mastery) feat.

---

Vital Smash (Combat, Mastery)
You are trained in making singular but devastating attacks.
Prerequisites: Fighter level 6th.
Benefits: The Vital Smash feat provides the following benefits as soon as you meet the prerequisites in parentheses:

Vital Strike (base attack bonus +6): You can make a single attack that deals additional damage. You are treated as having the Vital Strike feat for all intents and purposes.

Mobile Vital Strike (fighter level 9th): You have learned how to better position yourself when preparing a strong blow. As a result of this, you can make one vital strike in place of all melee attacks you'd make when charging or using the Spring Attack feat.

Improved Vital Strike (Vital Strike, base attack bonus +11): You can deal even greater damage when making a vital strike. You are treated as having the Improved Vital Strike feat for all intents and purposes.

Critical Vital Strike (fighter level 12th): Even when going all out for a vital strike, you know how to hit where it hurts. The extra weapon damage dice added by Vital Strike, Improved Vital Strike and Greater Vital Strike are multiplied on a critical hit.

Swift Vital Strike (fighter level 15th): You can attack with full force even when reacting to someone else's actions. You can deal a vital strike when making an attack of opportunity. However, that must be your only attack of opportunity for the round.

Greater Vital Strike (Improved Vital Strike, Vital Strike, base attack bonus +16): Your vital strike deals incredible damage. You are treated as having the Greater Vital Strike feat for all intents and purposes.

Mighty Vital Strike (fighter level 18th): You can put superhuman strength behind your vital strikes. Multiply the damage bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision based damage, and other damage bonuses by the number of times you'd roll your weapon's damage dice when making a vital strike.

Dyhmas
2014-07-11, 09:28 PM
Altough an attempt to improve the fighter or at least give him some kind of exclusive feature is commendable, flavor-wise and logically, I don't see why you would have some of these habilities require Fighter levels, while others require a minimum BBA.

I mean, why not just make them dependent on BBA alone? That would make the first feat unecessary, I know, but wouldn't that make more sense?

Also, should you think that, by removing the need of the first feat, the second one would be unbalanced, you could just break it into two.

I mean, isn't it more fun to get a feat with some effects, then another to improve said effects, than getting a feat for the sole purpose of getting another one later on? (you could also give another benefit with the first feat, so the player feels like he's getting something then, perhaps?)

Just some thoughts, otherwise, I like it very much. The idea of creating a feat or feat-chain that improves on a particular fighting style is very cool. Plus, bonus points for you because I have actually used Vital Strike before, tho it didn't turn out as good as it seemed to me, upon first reading it.

-Dyhmas

jedipotter
2014-07-11, 10:32 PM
The feats are a little odd. You want the vital strike stuff to be just for fighters....but then have a feat that lets anyone take them? Kind feels like wasting a feat. Go up a level and take a feat that will help out a year from now, if you get to that level/BaB is not fun.

And it is all based off the Pathfinder Vital Strike feat, right? Rolling twice for weapon damage? That is kind lame. Is vital strike worth giving up two, three or four attacks. 1d12+1d12+10 is worse then 1d12+10 + 1d12+10.

Larkas
2014-07-12, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the input!

Altough an attempt to improve the fighter or at least give him some kind of exclusive feature is commendable, flavor-wise and logically, I don't see why you would have some of these habilities require Fighter levels, while others require a minimum BBA.

I mean, why not just make them dependent on BBA alone? That would make the first feat unecessary, I know, but wouldn't that make more sense?

I'll explain: the idea is for a character that just dips fighter to still reap some benefit from the second feat in the long run, even if it doesn't take the first feat. That would actually make more sense for a feat that could be taken at 1st level, but I confess that I have no idea which effect to give before +6 BAB, and opening the feat up at 1st level while it only gives any effect at 6th is a bit strange. Hmmm... Maybe the feat's prereqs should be "fighter 1st, +6 BAB"?

Also, should you think that, by removing the need of the first feat, the second one would be unbalanced, you could just break it into two.

It's not a balance consideration, actually, it's just that I wanted to give other martial characters a way to get the second feat, all while giving the fighter a real advantage for being, well, a fighter. My idea is that the fighter can be a master of many styles, while (for example) the barbarian can still master one or two of them.

I mean, isn't it more fun to get a feat with some effects, then another to improve said effects, than getting a feat for the sole purpose of getting another one later on? (you could also give another benefit with the first feat, so the player feels like he's getting something then, perhaps?)

Absolutely! I thought long and hard about what the first feat could give that wouldn't defeat the purpose of the first, or be just plain underwhelming. It just happens I drew at a blank. As it stands, the first feat is just a glorified Monastic Training, but I don't know what to put in its place (to achieve the original intent, in any case: to give some palpable advantage to the fighter while not shutting out other martial characters).

Just some thoughts, otherwise, I like it very much. The idea of creating a feat or feat-chain that improves on a particular fighting style is very cool. Plus, bonus points for you because I have actually used Vital Strike before, tho it didn't turn out as good as it seemed to me, upon first reading it.

-Dyhmas

Yeah, Vital Strike is not too bad, but it's certainly underwhelming. Not to mention that, when you reach Greater Vital Strike, you essentially have 2 other feats that do nothing at all. The intent is to fix it a bit without making it strictly superior to pouncing. However, I'm more concerned about the means to achieve the fix than about the fix itself, at least for now. But I'm glad you liked it! :smallsmile:

EDIT: I hope that made some sense. I'm not feeling terribly well at the moment. :smallfrown: