PDA

View Full Version : My Goblin Homebrew, thoughts?

GoblinGilmartin
2014-07-10, 04:34 PM
So I designed some new goblins for my campaign setting, which is goblin centric. Some changes: They're up to balance with the regular races, they're LN, and they can't get sick. Below that was my attempt at making Half Human-Half Goblins based on these new goblins. I didn't mess up the balance, did I?

My Goblins differ from regular goblins like so:
Goblin characters possess the following racial traits.
–2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +2 bonus on Hide checks, +4 bonus on Craft checks +2 on Appraise checks –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
A goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
-A goblin's filthy beginnings give them immunity to all nonmagic diseases
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.

Half Goblins

Half Goblins are a sign of the changing times, and have been around for a few hundred years, in very slowly increasing numbers as they breed true among themselves. They're laid back and approach most things with a sense of detachment. In Half Goblins with a female goblin parent, the goblins tend to be bigger at maturity, and with a male goblin parent, they will retain a goblin's natural predelection towards ectomorphism. They usually have olive skin, with patches of slightly greener skin all over their bodies.
Medium: As Medium creatures, half goblins have no special bonuses
or penalties due to their size.
Half Goblin base land speed is 30 feet.
-racial immunity to all nonmagic diseases
+4 bonus on Craft checks +2 on Appraise checks
Darkvision out to 30 feet.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each
additional level, since Half Goblins are versatile and capable. skill points at 1st level are added on as a bonus, not multiplied in
Automatic Language: Common, Goblin Bonus Languages: Any

IllogicalBlox
2014-07-10, 06:35 PM
I like it; I created a goblin race (the Fey Gob) but for 4e.

However, it says they are both small & medium.

GGambrel
2014-07-10, 07:49 PM
...Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +2 bonus on Hide checks, +4 bonus on Craft checks +2 on Appraise checks –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
A goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
-A goblin's filthy beginnings give them immunity to all nonmagic diseases
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc...

It seems pretty balanced to me. I was going to object to the 30' base land speed, but then I noticed goblins already have that. The bonus to hide checks should still be +4 (as part of being a small character) in my opinion. Actually aside from the -2 Cha and the fact that dwarves and elves get bonuses against goblins, goblins don't seem all that bad off. You may want to remove racial traits that specifically target goblins, or give the goblins an equal and opposite bonus vs. dwarves and elves.

I'm a bit perplexed regarding half-goblins. :smallconfused: What is the other half exactly? If it is a medium sized humanoid, that seems somewhat strange to me. Why not just make them hobgoblins balanced to get rid of their level adjustment? Or I suppose they could be half-hobgoblins or something.

Togath
2014-07-10, 08:01 PM
Half Goblins

Half Goblins are a sign of the changing times, and have been around for a few hundred years, in very slowly increasing numbers as they breed true among themselves. They're laid back and approach most things with a sense of detachment. In Half Goblins with a female goblin parent, the goblins tend to be bigger at maturity, and with a male goblin parent, they will retain a goblin's natural predelection towards ectomorphism. They usually have olive skin, with patches of slightly greener skin all over their bodies.
Medium: As Medium creatures, half goblins have no special bonuses
or penalties due to their size.
Half Goblin base land speed is 30 feet.
-racial immunity to all nonmagic diseases
+4 bonus on Craft checks +2 on Appraise checks
Darkvision out to 30 feet.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each
additional level, since Half Goblins are versatile and capable. skill points at 1st level are added on as a bonus, not multiplied in
Automatic Language: Common, Goblin Bonus Languages: Any

Seems balanced to me, the disease immunity and darkvision help to make up for not having ability bonuses or a feat.
You might also want to give them the goblin and/or human subtypes(half-elves and half-orcs count as both, iirc, so these might be similar)

GoblinGilmartin
2014-07-11, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

I should clarify. Half-Goblins are half human, half goblin. Strange, sure, but not impossible. Easily possible with a female human and a male goblin, but let's not dwell on that, shall we? :smallbiggrin:

and IllogicalBlox? Look closer. Those are two different stat blocks, bud.

IllogicalBlox
2014-07-11, 03:11 PM
Oooh, woops. I misread it.

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-11, 03:35 PM
Hmm... is this for Pathfinder, straight DnD 3.5, or what? If it's for Pathfinder they should have a net ability bonus (all modifiers added together) of +2... So you're short a +2 for both races then.

Kamai
2014-07-11, 03:55 PM
Not that I think it's a bad idea, but I'm curious what it is about your Goblins that have them get the Craft and Appraise checks. Also, since this is 3.5 based, is it fair to assume that Goblins are Favored Class: Rogue (like 3.5 goblins), and Half-Goblins are Favored Class: Any (for the 3 people who play with Favored Class rules)?

Finally, on the Half-Goblin, from what I would guess, the Craft/Appraise bonuses would essentially be socialized bonuses, not physical bonuses. If you look at the Half-elf, and Half-orc, both stick towards giving physical bonuses, and doesn't assume anything about how the half-race is raised. Maybe you could let the player choose between that and the ability to put full ranks (while paying the Cross class penalty) to one cross-class skill of their choice), which I feel would cover both Goblin raised Half-Goblins, and Human raised Half-Goblins.

Madara
2014-07-12, 08:33 PM
Can you make it so the goblins can be carriers of disease? Just immune to the affects.

wowofifa
2014-07-12, 08:50 PM
So I designed some new goblins for my campaign setting, which is goblin centric. Some changes: They're up to balance with the regular races, they're LN, and they can't get sick. Below that was my attempt at making Half Human-Half Goblins based on these new goblins. I didn't mess up the balance, did I?Half Goblins are a sign of the changing times, and have been around for a few hundred years, in very slowly increasing numbers as they breed true among themselves. They're laid back and approach most things with a sense of detachment. In Half Goblins with a female goblin parent, the goblins tend to be bigger at maturity, and with a male goblin parent, they will retain a goblin's natural predelection towards ectomorphism. T

Debihuman
2014-07-13, 09:05 AM
You need to explain why they only have +2 on Hide instead of the normal +4 for being Small.

Debby