PDA

View Full Version : Bleak Isle and Beyond IC

redzimmer
2014-07-10, 06:19 PM
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/726x493q90/158/4429db.jpg

Do not be intimidated by my stellar cartography skills. For a sense of scale, the longest distance from one end of the island to the other is four days steady walking. If you want to circumnavigate Bleak Isle, you would need five days (It is all smoothed sandy beach and easily traelled whereas overland has thick termerate rain forest and some mountains in the centre (the pointy things on the map). The white bits are coastal rocks and reef, making it hard to make safe landing in large crafts.

The War is over... for eight years it was all there was, all everyone thought of, all everyone talked about. But now, two years after the weary nations signed their treaty the world is moving on.

Bleak Isle never was a colony of any concern to the Kingdom of Ter Nekka. It paid its taxes, it levied troops, it didn't really matter. Now with Ter Nekka and Lasatu more concerned with consolidated their own sundered nations, a little backwater colony not on any major trade route is not really worth considering.

To the south you see the Slaver/Outlaw town of Carnage. It sits there impudently thumbing its nose at the Nekkan Navy, knowing all too well how it is more work than it is worth to try shutting it down.

The wild elf village is a set of longhouses where the Chan'dalai tribe winters. It currently is mostly empty save for some elders and a druid with her companion animals.

The Water Orc Camp is frequently inhabited, as they are nomadic raiders. They will periodically stop in for some repairs to their war canoes, or to sacrifice captives to the water and wood spirits. Currently it is empty save for some grisly trophies hanging about.

You know very little about the abandoned village. Some say ancient Thenesian sorcerers performed dark arts there (knowledge local DC 15).

Strato's Cove is the de facto seat of government, however the local Ter Nekkan governor has received very few dispatches since the war ended. This large town gets by on fishing, selling mast timbers and lumber to ships and offering a safe port on an unforgiven sea.

Mud Hill is a seasonal boomtown. When the lumber camps disgorge their workers each spring, the loggers converge onto Mud Hill and spend their hard-earned money on over-priced comforts. Then destitute, they head back to the camps in the fall.

The biggest threat, aside from orcs and marauding pirates and slavers are ever-present stirges. Many is the time a drained native elf or orc aor hapless lumberjack has been found, drained dry by the little beasties.

Player Character Class Race Nationality Alignment Gender Recent Activity
Ashifter Thiadir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=947561) Rogue Wild Elf Exiled Native Chaotic Neutral Male Squatting in abandoned house in Mud Hill
RunHideSurvive Richard Axsons (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=947341) Beguiler Human Carnage Chaotic Neutral Male Pot Boy at the Mayor's House
Hexalan Porthos the Pirate (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=947609) Swashbuckler Human Carnage Chaotic Neutral Male Vagrant
Keledrath Marcus Enkion (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=947938) Dragon Shaman Human Empire of Ra-H Chaotic Good Male Vagrant
Hazuki Penklok Famerte (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=949670) Cleric Human Ter Nekka Neutral Good Female Homeowner in Mud Hill
Bladehunter217 Julian Kell the Red (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=948887) Fighter Tallfellow Halfling Ter Nekka Neutral Good Male Mayor's Household Guard
Yawielas Lyra Willow (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=950752) Fighter Half-Elf Native (for all intents & purposes) Chaotic Good Female Fresh from the lumber camp

redzimmer
2014-07-11, 03:05 PM
Your reverie this morning has been broken by a demanding knocking on the door of the hut your taken as your residence.

"Open up in the name of the Watch," the voice roars with slight orcish accent.

You have dwelled in this town all winter long. Now that the snows have gone and the Mud River has thawed, people you do not recognize from your day to day explorations over winter have begun to swell the population of this settlement. Already there are more persons in one place than you have ever seen since the Gathering...

your thoughts are interrupted again by the rude banging on the door.

"We knows you in there, pointed-ear heathen! We has warrant to clear you into prison!" The voice shouts again, this time in the language of your own elven people. Yes, that accent is certainly orcish.

As you toil away peeling carrots in the kitchens of Lord-Mayor Tidol's manor, you hear a small commotion at the back entrance. The short guard... Julian the Red he calls himself? Anyway he is at the door, and the lady standing there wringing her hands certainly looks anxious.

"Axsons! Get back to work, boy!" the booming voice of the assistant cook echoes across the kitchen.

"I have to talk to Jemma!" the woman at the door shouts, and tries to barge her way past the halfling. She gets halfway through the servants' entrance with Julian before bowling into you.

"Please! I have to talk to my sister! My wee Herman is missing!"

"Dammit! You, shorty! get her outta here," the assistant cook yells at the guard. She then turns to you.

"Axsons! Pick up those carrots!"

It is a typical morning in the Manor. The guard captain, a bitter old dwarf called Boris has given you the morning watch, meaning no chance of downtime in the barracks the night before.

First thing this morning, dawn hasn't even properly broken and there is a pounding at the servants' entrance. No delivery scheduled today, so you walk to the door on guard.

You open the door, and you see a middle-aged heavy-set, human woman at the door wringing her hands.

"Oh!" She exclaims, not used to seeing an armed halfling. "I beggin' yer pardon, uh young man? I needs to see Jemma! She be the chief housekeeper!"

Standard procedure says you get either the majordomo or at least head butler for unscheduled visits. You are about to tell her this when she pushes her way in.

"I have to talk to Jemma!"

You are surprised how quick and agile these big people can be when agitated. Still, it's your head if she gets into the house without warrant, so you try to stop her. As she barrels into the kitchen, she knocks over the pot boy who is scrubbing carrots.

"Please! I have to talk to my sister! My wee Herman is missing!"

"Dammit! You, shorty! get her outta here," the assistant cook yells at you. She then turns to the pot boy.

"Axsons! Pick up those carrots!"

[ooc: You two know of each other

As dawn crests the horizon, you awaken to the delightful smells of the common cell you were tossed into the day before. A large man with a well-used mace on his hip.

"Okay!" he shouts, swelling with the little power he has.

"I want you all to line up single file! You will be processed and then you'll be fined and then you will be let out! Move!"

You and the eight other people (ten in total) shuffle out of your shared cell. Mad boredom has allowed you all the time for brief conversations, usually entailing "what you do in the war?" "where you from?" and "lemme 'lone ya bugger!"

[ooc: Meaning Marcus and Porthos are of a passing acquaintance right now.]

As you are marched to a small yard in the back, you are surprised to see a gallows with... 1, 2, 3... 10 nooses. one of them even has a wooden box to accommodate the gnome who was among the group imprisoned.

"Right! We treat vagrancy very seriously here in the fine city of Mud Hill!"

You wonder what exactly amounts to a city in this guard's eyes.

"So you now have been given a fair and equitable choice! Your choice is to stop you from being a drain on the resources of the Lord Fernand Odlar, Governor of Bleak Isle, duly appointed representative of Queen Seramal of Ter Nekka, May She Reign a Thousand Years!"

By the way he says it, he neither wishes, nor cares how long She may live.

"So, you may choose to either take a gracious exit via the means of hemp-assistant suicide, OR you may instead elect to become a member of the Mud Hill Volunteer Public Service Corps! You have one minute to decide!"

The knocking at your door is not uncommon. Once word got out there was a healer in town that held no loyalty to either the Blues or the Bahamut temple, the parade of people begging you for divine assistance swelled. Over the winter you had tried to keep to yourself, but after an accident with a small child and a large saw blade, you could not with any conscience not heal the little girl. Suffice it to say, word got out.

You have not wanted for food, old clothes or whatever else the locals in this slum district offer you in barter for a few scant orisons. Luck favoured you when a small clerk in the town hall cut a few corners and acquired you a small hovel in the slum for you to call home. Of course you are now obliged to minister to every hapless person too poor to entreaty the Church of the Platinum Dragon or too proud to go to the hospice.

You know for a fact there is a temple to Olidammara in the basement of the Broken Nail Inn, but it is also in the back pocket of the local thieves' guild, the Old Blue Towers Boys (or "Blues" for short).

The knock is persistent. Finally you dress and open the door. The father of the young girl you saved stands there.

"Er... begging you pardon, Your Grace," he says, blind panic on his face, "but is there any chance our little Cynna were here?"

The girl on occasion would stop by, usually to pester you with her childish exuberance, but today you did not see her.

"Oh gods," he says, "this can't be... we always told her to stay in town, 'specially when the camps come to town..."

You arrive from the camps overland. It was warm enough that you barely needed you travelling coat. Truth be told it was not a bad winter, you got an extra bit of change and your uncle would be horrified to learn you can now swing an axe as well as any dwarf.

Once you get within sight of the town limits of Mud Hill, a three-person group of club wielding men surround you.

"Welcom to Mud Hill, m'lady!" the lead thug says jauntily. "We are here to collect the Mud Hill Veterans Head Tax. Would you prefer to pay in scrip or coin?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-11, 03:12 PM
Marcus sighs. This was hardly the way he'd wanted to start his first mission. Well, he wouldn't do a lot of good dead. He steps forward.
I volunteer for the Public Service Corps.

Yawielas
2014-07-11, 03:21 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra looks at the three men, considering their strength and number. "Well....I'd prefer not to pay anything, of course, just how much is this "Veteran Tax"?" She discreetly shifts her position so that none of them are behind her.

Hazuki
2014-07-11, 03:41 PM
Penklok

"I see." Penklok says at first, no small amount of concern spread across her lips as they purse tightly together. Her armor already adorned, for she'd be silly to run a healing service while thieves are around without it, she reaches for the helmet sitting beside the door and plants it firmly on her head of red hair. "If you kept a better eye on your daughter, you wouldn't be here. Even just accompanying her to my home would be more appropriate, and, assuming you were a child once, you should know that they never listen to orders! Especially given how she found me to begin with!" She chides the man, as she grabs the crossbow from beside the door and straps it to her lower back.

"But," She smiles at the man. "I cannot let a helpless child stay that way. Come, tell me all you know of where Cynna may be, and I will do my best to find her." She grabs her hefty pack of goods and slips her arms into it, as she steps out of her home, locks the door, and flips the sign from a drawing of an outstretched hand to a closed fist. Better that her absence be illustrated for the uneducated citizens of Mud Hill.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-11, 03:58 PM
Richard Axsons

It was a normal day in the kitchen's, the cook assistant was grouchy as usual, but then the bundle that was Julian and a very heavy woman flew into him. The basket of carrots at Richard's side goes flying as his hand gets caught on it, sending carrots across the floor.

What's this all about? Richard picks himself up then gets on his knee's, picking up carrots while grumbling "Yes Ma'am. On it Ma'am.". With most of the carrots cradled in the crook of his arm, he glances at the pair, a displeased look on his face. "Wait, your son is missing?"

Hexalan
2014-07-11, 04:01 PM
Porthos ponders his choices.

Dead, or not dead. Deeeeaaaad. Or not dead.

"Porthos the Pirate picks public protector!" Porthos yells, sardonically stepping and saluting the guard.

redzimmer
2014-07-11, 05:22 PM
Porthos & Marcus

To no one's surprise, all ten "vagrants" elect to become public employees.

"Grand! We are looking for some able-bodied folks to engage in some outdoor activities which will enrich the town as a whole! Report to the workhouse once you collect your belongings."

Penklok

The man, you know him to be Thin Steve (being a common name, adjectives often become unofficial honorifics) leads you to the south gates of the town. The inner town where the town hall, garrison and jail are surrounded by a wooden palisade, but the rest of town is only minimally guard by an occasional guard post.

"She and her mum often go to the wood to forage for what-have-you. This time a' year it's mostly nut the squirrel forgot about," he says, rambling.

"But today she set off outta her mum... my Fiona... outta Fiona's sight but a second, then there's a squeak and a rustle, and next thing she were gone! Fiona looked about for a good time afore coming to get me! We thought you being a blessed one and all you might able to... I don't know, ask them Gods where our girl may be?"

The desperation is all too obvious in his face. The Watch likely would not even listen to his pleas, being a common labourer.

Vhaidara
2014-07-11, 05:27 PM
Marcus retrieves his pack and his weapons before leaving, heading for the workhouse.

ashifter
2014-07-11, 05:40 PM
Your reverie this morning has been broken by a demanding knocking on the door of the hut your taken as your residence.
"Open up in the name of the Watch," the voice roars with slight orcish accent.

Ugh. How rude of them to knock and shout so loudly. Wait, is that an orcish accent?

"We knows you in there, pointed-ear heathen! We has warrant to clear you into prison!" The voice shouts again, this time in the language of your own elven people. Yes, that accent is certainly orcish.

*sigh* Back in the old days we'd slaughter all orcs for sport. Now I have to be "respectful" to them.

Thiadir slings on his backpack,checks his boots for his concealed daggers, and walks stealthily towards the door.

(Move Silently roll if needed)
[roll0]

Once there, he looks out of a peephole/small crack in the door if there is one.

(OOC: Do I need to spoiler my actions since I'm not with the party yet?)

Hexalan
2014-07-11, 08:07 PM
Porthos acquires hit items and follows the prison labor gang to the workhouse.

Bladehunter217
2014-07-12, 08:33 AM
Julian Kell

"Don't call me shorty cook. Miss, if you would please not come barging into places you don't belong." Kell rubbed his temples, thinking of any way to solve this without either bringing her inside or leaving her alone. "Miss, If you give me three things, I will do my absolute best to track down Jemma. Who are you, where did you come from and why do you need to talk to Jemma? Don't say because your son is missing, I mean why is she so important." While talking, he reaches a hand to her back and starts directing her to the door outside.

Hazuki
2014-07-12, 06:52 PM
Penklok

"Sadly, I'm not quite powerful enough to divine everything that happens. But divinity wouldn't be anything without its mortal servants!" Penklok gives the man a slight smile that she hopes is somewhat encouraging, as she clanks over to the member of the Watch hammering his fist against the door and clears her throat to get his attention. "Excuse me, Ser Guard, but are you one of the jerks, or one of the nice guards?"

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 12:25 PM
Penklok & Thiadir

[Ooc: no, and frankly I am not sure why I bothered spoilers either, if a pc meta-games I will just tell them not to.]

Looking out a loophole in the thin shanty walls, Thiadir sees a guardsmen of of orch extract, but half-human. He is accompanied by another all-human, both men carry light maces and look capable of using them.

The half-orc looks at Penklok quizzically for a moment.

"Do you need assistance, err, Miss? I am in the process of serving a warrant. Oh, hullo Thin Steve," he adds differently.

Lyra Willow

The thug in the lead is perplexed by Lyra's response.

"Well I am glad you asked! You give us what you was paid-don't think we don't someone fresh from the camps-so the Revered Veterans of the King 's War are afforded the comfort and recuperation we are due. If you do not wish to pay, you may file a grievance with Hammer Steve here."

The tallest of the three nods and slap his club in a menacing fashion against his palm.

Lyra can see all three look capable in a fight, but knows if it led to lethal arts she had them all at a disadvantage.

It also strikes her how many human males call themselves "Steve".

Marcus & Porthos

The prison quartermaster explains how you are required to carry any bladed weapon in a "peace knot" when within town limits, and takes a nominal 5 gp fine from each.

All their equipment once again is within reach, and the workhouse beckons.

Once arriving they see only six (including themselves) of the detainees came to the workhouse. A one-armed halfing engineer awaits them.

"Greetings and welcome to the Mud Hill Public Service!" Closer look reveals the halfling also sports a wooden leg. He has been through some stuff.

"I see some of my new recruits have failed to show. Well that means you remaining have the privilege of even more work! I am certain if you encounter your cellmates one day on the road, you will thank them accordingly. If however, I see them first, I shall not be so gracious."

The halfling points towards a rack with shovels and picks upon it.

"Now then, onto business! You are going to dig a ditch. Excrement can lead to a plethora of disease, and..."

He goes on for a few more minutes, obviously reveling in ordering about tall, able-bodied folk.

"Now then, if you will please march out of the city in that direction, a nice man on a horse will point you where to dig.

After a short trudge with you digging implement of choice, you reach the mounted man. He notes the quality of gear Porthos and Marcus carry with a narrowing of eyes.

"If you try anything," he tells Porthos, "I shall run you down before you can draw that fancy sword of yours."

"And you," he says pointing at Marcus, "you can just drop the spear right now."

He keeps a respectable distance from you nevertheless.

"Get digging!"

ashifter
2014-07-14, 12:40 PM
Thiadir:

Looking out a loophole in the thin shanty walls, Thiadir sees a guardsmen of of fish extract, but half-human. He is accompanied by another all-human, both men carry light makes and look capable of using them.

(Ooc: I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you meant orcish descent and maces instead of fish extract and makes. Lol autocorrect.)

Thiadir glances around, looking for another way out of the building.

Vhaidara
2014-07-14, 12:50 PM
Marcus glares at him, but places the spear butt first into the ground before setting to work.

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 02:07 PM
Thiadir:
(Ooc: I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you meant orcish descent and maces instead of fish extract and makes. Lol autocorrect.)

Thiadir glances around, looking for another way out of the building.

Thiadir

[ooc: Nope, he is a half-tuna and goes around making stuff. It is very disconcerting for all who witness it. :smalltongue:]

Looking about, you see the rear window is just large enough for you to pop out of. Having lived here a while you searched already for any bolt-holes that could be exploited.

Marcus & Porthos

You set to the digging, with the mounted city watchman pacing back & forth periodically.

ashifter
2014-07-14, 02:19 PM
Thiadir:

Looking about, you see the rear window is just large enough for you to pop out of. Having lived here a while you searched already for any bolt-holes that could be exploited.

Thiadir walks silently to the rear window and shouts towards the guards, "My good sir, I'll be just a moment. But might I ask why I am to go to prison? I have committed no crime."

Once he is at the window he climbs up and peers through it.

Yawielas
2014-07-14, 02:36 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra looks at Hammer Steve, pretending to ponder for a moment. Then she sighs, and slips her backpack down on the ground as if to find the money, but mostly so she won't be hindered by it in a fight. She takes a step back, and looks again at Hammer Steve. "Well....you see...this is where I have a problem. I worked all winter for that money. And it would be stupid to just hand it all over to you. Now, if you've said 5 silver, you may have gotten away with it. But now...I think I have to file a complaint. Cause this is highway robbery." She draws her sword. "Are you sure you're able to collect? I know there's three of you. But from where I stand, you're wielding clubs, and I've got a sword. You might be able to overwhelm me by sheer numbers, but you can be sure I'll take one or two of you with me...And Steve? It's probably going to be you."

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 02:40 PM
Thiadir

"You are charged with unlawfully residing in an abode with that you hold no ownership," the half-orc shouts.

"As well you are now a chief suspect in the case of missing resident Othok Oddlerson who owns this abode."

The half-orc speaks to someone else outside, then continues.

"You are surrounded. I advise coming outside now, as failure to comply would entail resisting arrest. We are authorized to use lethal force if needed."

He then adds in his broken pidgin elvish:

"You now come out or we have allow you kills with no consequence upon our body."

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 02:53 PM
Lyra

Hammer Steve ponders you blade for just a moment, looks at the glorified stick in his hand and blanches. Quickly tossing it aside and knuckling his forelock, he stammers an apology.

"Er... beggin' yer pardon, m'lady! Surely you missed our little jest! Uh... well met."

With a stride that would better befit the moniker Rapidly Running Away Steve, the ruffian boots it back to the town limits.

After a moment, the other associate makes his exit as well. The leader of the three maintains his composure a bit better.

"The Blues don't take kindly to vigilantes, Missy," he says, pointing to a regimental tattoo on his shoulder (it should be noted the men wore only light breeches and leather vests) with the symbol and numeral "QM X".

You have no ranks in either, but you did work in the region so may make an untrained K:L check if you wish.

The man backs away warily, not taking his eyes off your blade.

"Thems brave lads with me know if I don't return that you did me in, Missy," he adds, "and we Blues also take no kindly to you offing one o' us."

Hazuki
2014-07-14, 02:59 PM
Penklok

"Whatever it is, I'm sure it's less important than a missing young girl." Penklok informs the half-orc, meeting his eyes. "Her name is Cynna and, apparently, none of the guards have seen fit to investigate the matter! You are apparently too busy dismissing a harmless squatter to save a young woman's life."

Yawielas
2014-07-14, 03:01 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra watches him back away from her, and keeps her blade bared until he leaves. "I'm neither a vigilante or a murderer. Merely defending myself. Something I'm very good at, in case you get any ideas later on." She makes sure they're all long gone before continuing by a different route towards the splendid city of Mud Hill.

Knowledge local [roll0]

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 05:20 PM
Richard & Julian

The woman begins anew insisting on seeing Jemma, who is-to you-Mrs. Coates, the chief housekeeper.

Before you can carry on deciphering her issue, Standish, the majordomo of the manor appears.

"You, you and you," he says pointing at the woman, Julian and Richard, "get to my chambers immediately."

He orders the assistant cook to fetch the chief housekeeper, and walks towards his office.

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 05:27 PM
Penklok

"I'll have you know, witch, that we are in the process of investigating missing persons even as we speak. The elf in here," he gestures to the hovel "sits in the house of such a missing person. That makes him Suspect Number One. But please, tell me how to do my job some more!"

He pounds on the door one more time.

"You are surrounded. I advise coming outside now, as failure to comply would entail resisting arrest. We are authorized to use lethal force if needed."

He unslings his mace and then adds in another language:

""Sii' n'e ri' lye lle yassen n'uma deno' lye quenat!"

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 05:31 PM
Lyra Willow

If the man was trying to intimidate you with this "Blues" reference, it went over your head. as you approach a guard picket, two men with spears march smartly towards you.

"If you wish to enter the limits of Mud Hill, you are required to peach knot your blade and unstring you bow. If you are unwilling to seek accommodation within the town, please leave by nightfall."

Hazuki
2014-07-14, 05:33 PM
Penklok

"Gladly." Penklok replies, smiling at the man's annoyance. "Investigating the most immediate case, where there are more likely to be clues! I have an exact location, time, a witness, and knowledge about the victim of the most recent event - which was in the last few hours." She places her hand on her hip and arches an eyebrow. "But if you'd rather give time for the culprits to gut an innocent girl, I suppose I'll have to step in to do your job."

She turns on her heel. "Again, I might add. I wonder where you were, when little Cynna encountered that sawblade? Something to think about." She walks back to Steve and meets his eyes, smiling again. "Would you mind drawing the path your wife took through the forest for me, please? And the time that she noticed Cynna missing? I can give you funds for the map."

Yawielas
2014-07-14, 05:45 PM
Lyra Willow

"Certainly." Lyra unstrings her crossbow, and asks the guards:"Could you point me towards a decent inn? Oh, and I wish to report an attempted robbery. Three men with clubs surrounded me on my way to town, and tried to threathen me to part with my earnings. One of them was called Hammer Steve. They could be waylaying other loggers, so I thought I'd mention it. Will a peace bond be provided, or should I use my own rope?" She looks at the two pikemen, tring to see if they are wearing similar insignias as the would be robbers. That would be bad. At least my sword isn't bound yet...

ashifter
2014-07-14, 06:11 PM
Thiadir

Thiadir

"You are charged with unlawfully residing in an abode with that you hold no ownership," the half-orc shouts.

"As well you are now a chief suspect in the case of missing resident Othok Oddlerson who owns this abode."

The half-orc speaks to someone else outside, then continues.

He then adds in his broken pidgin elvish:

"You now come out or we have allow you kills with no consequence upon our body."

"Very well I am walking out now."

Thiadir walk out slowly keeping his hands in front of him.

"As you see gentlemen, I am complying with your requests. As to what I'm doing in this house, I entered it seeking shelter and found no one in it. Upon further inspection, it seemed that no one had been here for a while. I decided to stay here until the owner got back since I had nowhere else to go and it was the middle of winter. Weeks passed, and since no one returned I assumed it had been abandoned. If I had something to do with this Otoik person's disappearance, I would hardly remain here.On another note, I've been nothing but courteous to you, and yet you persist in insulting me in my native tongue."

Bloody orc. What a complete savage.

(Ooc: Thiadir deliberately mispronounces Othok's name. Do you want a bluff or diplomacy check?)

Thiadir looks around to see if there is someone he knows who can vouch for him, or perhaps another elf if he's really lucky

redzimmer
2014-07-14, 07:01 PM
Penklok

The half-orc grits his teeth, then motions for the man beside him.

"Keith, take them to the barrack and do what she asks. Your Heathen God Forbid I be derelict in protecting the public trust," he says with enough sarcasm to avoid missing it.

He yells something else in the foreign language, giving you no more mind.

Keith of the Watch leads you the Watch barracks, gives Tin Steve a parchment and a piece of graphite for him to sketch the area.

"I'll see if I can gather a search party, m'Lady," he says touching his forelock. You recall him coming to you to treat some sensitive health matters with his now-fiancé.

Thin Steve to the best of his ability maps out the area his wife last was with Cynna. The edge of the wood southward from town.

Lyra

The guards laugh raucously as you give the description.

"Them guys been at it all week and we can't get a ahold of them. If you want to file an official charge that'll give the captain the drive to ask for a royal warrent," one of the spearmen says.

You cannot see their arms, so no regimental tattoo is visible. One of the men gives you a short piece of twine and and a brief instruction on how to tie it.

[ooc: Use Rope DC 10 to tie/untie.]

"The Giant's Nail has the fewest bugs and the most decent staff," he adds, giving you directions to the watch barrack as well.

Yawielas
2014-07-15, 03:25 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra ties the peace knot, and nods. "Thank you very much." She smiles and walks through the gates, into the muddy streets of Mud Hill. Following the directions, she first stops by the guards' barracks to make an official report. Not that she's so keen to make her face known, but it irks her that those brigands would steal the whole pay of those she's worked alongside of for the whole winter. She asks to see the captain.

Tie knot [roll0]

redzimmer
2014-07-15, 12:09 PM
[ooc: Now this will seem like a railroading but allow me to give you all a time-jump.]

Lyra

After making your report, you encounter a human cleric named Penklok. She is gathering a group of capable people to assist he in finding a missing child. Time is of the essence.

Thiadir

[roll0]

The guards give no indication whether they buy your story or not. After a small search of the hovel and the relieving you of your equipment, brought to the guard barrack. After an exchange with a human cleric, you are remanded into her custody.

She needs help finding the missing child, and a little coercion with the right watchmen convinces them you are a trained tracker who can help (bollocks, but the more people looking for the child the better). You are given back you equipment, with the rapier peach-knotted and the bowstring unslung.

A half-elf female has also joined your posse.

Penklok

You are eager to get out of town and off after the child. If she was abducted, time is crucial. If she was carried off by an animal, then it would be ideal to find her somewhat intact, for the scant chance to either revive or raise her.

Three is not at all enough. You know the habit of putting detainees from the drunk tank each morning onto work detail (serving the double purpose of deterring public drunkenness and giving the genuinely destitute a job and a roof over their head without looking like "charity"-which after the war and the number of refugees and disabled veterans milling about has somehow become a bad word).

With a few suggestions and reminders of having dead child blood on their hands, the half-orc guard sergeant sends a halfling amputee to fetch the day's work crew.

Marcus & Porthos

After not a few minutes digging, the halfling who first ordered you to work hobbles out and tells you all to fall in, gather your gear and march to the watch barracks.

Once you arrive, you are mustered into two groups. You are put under the auspices of a young woman with a commanding presence, her name Penklok.

Julian & Richard

You are rushed into the majordomo's chambers. He handles the day-to-day management of the mayor's household and commands the garrison as well.

The woman quickly explains the missing child situation to him. Her son Herman was out in the wood this morning hunting squirrels and whatever it is young boys do. But he never fails to return for breakfast.

Mrs. Coates the head housekeeper then arrives and beseeches the majordomo to help them find the boy.

Not wanting to cause needless disruption but knowing the staff will be all a-tizzy until the boy is found, the majordomo orders you two to head to the watch barracks and form a search party. He scribbles some orders onto a parchment and seals it with the mayor's sigil.

After a bit of prompting, the housekeepr's sister and mother of Wee Herman gives you directions as best she can where the boy most likely would have been.

Everyone

After some mustering and gathering of signal whistles to keep in touch over distances, the searcher are split into two groups.

The bulk of the work party crew are put under the auspices of the half-orc sergeant and bring along Thin Steve to aid in the search. The rest of you are grouped with the mounted watchman who was guarding the work crew.

Things becomes confused when a halfling and young human arrive from the mayor's manner insisting they are nominally in charge of the search party, and you are now looking for a boy called Herman.

After some more time-wasting arguing about jurisdiction, it is agreed that it is in the best interests of both groups to look for both children. The directions given by Herman's mother suggest that both children went missing in the same general area.

After everything is determined, you have all been gathered together. Penklok with Thiadir in her charge, Julian and Richard from the mayor's manor, Marcus and Prothos from the work crew, and Lyra as a concerned volunteer.

Lyra

You find this particularly distressing, as you know at least four loggers went missing over the winter in the camp. While it was officially written off as desertion, such a high number was unusual.

[ooc: It for expedience's sake assumed you tell everyone this.]

Thiadir

You are a naturally curious person. In your time acquainting yourself with the town, you have seen three houses just left empty. You made use of one of the abandoned houses and had intended to use the others when you became bored with Othok's dwelling.

You thought nothing of it considering your people are nomadic and tend to leave entire villages abandoned for seasons or years when going abroad. But judging by how rudely you were evicted fro the house and accused of Gods-Know-What, it must not be normal for such things like this to happen.

You share this with the others.

Everyone

You all make way on foot, save for the mounted Watchman in the direction towards the area of the wood where the children were last seen.

The mounted watchman seems deferential to the cleric Penklok, and keeps casting resentful glares at the red-cloaked halfling Julian.

[ooc: the trip with take approximately 30 minutes. Obviosuly none of you have Track as a class ability, so search checks, sense motive, spot and whatever else you can think up are the order of the day. Ranks in Survival can also be useful. Use thewalk there to RP introductions and getting-to-know-yous.]

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 12:20 PM
[OoC: k. Like you said, we were in "unskippable cutscene mode". I'm okay with that for cinematics.]

Marcus grabs his spear on the way out of the ditches.

Once the group has separated out, he addresses them.
So, what does the kid look like? Any leads as to where he might have gone?

Everyone gets +1 on Spot, Listen, and Search from my Senses Aura.
Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Sense Motive: [roll3]
Survival: [roll4]

runhidesurvive
2014-07-15, 12:30 PM
Richard Axsons

It had taken a while, but they were finally searching for the children and more importantly for Richard, out of the kitchen. Stretching, Richard looks over at the rest of the search party. "Its slightly odd, but I guess people do go missing from time to time, I guess one of the main questions is what did it? Has there been large amounts of orc's or pirates around here lately?" Richard directs his last questions at the mounted watchman.

[roll0] Search check.
[roll1] Sense motive check.

Hazuki
2014-07-15, 12:34 PM
Penklok

"Trying to think of a group to blame for this isn't going to help. You'll just find things, and bend them to fit whatever answer you come to now." Penklok comments as Richard tries to question the guardsman. "But the camps are a place we should head to, if we don't find anything on this route. They're most likely to notice odd things out here." She comments with a smile, using the map of Steve's wife's trail to lead the group.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-15, 12:40 PM
Richard Axsons

Richard tilts his head towards Penklok. "I guess its true that they could just have gotten lost, but from what we know it seem's very unlikely for them to have gotten lost. It could also very well be some animal that's decided to be brave when it saw a lone child, but that would be slightly odd considering two children have gone missing."

Yawielas
2014-07-15, 02:13 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra walks into the woods with the others, unfastening the peace knot on her sword. She peers in between the trees and bushes, and listens for any sounds of crying or shouting. When Penklok mentions the camps, she says:"I just came from the camps. Four loggers went missing over the winter. They have no idea what happened to them, so it was written off as desertion. We can go there, but I doubt they'll have much useful information." The blondehalf elf studies the rest of the group. Herself, she is wearing a chain shirt of very good quality, over a dark grey tunic with silver embroidery, and dark leather trousers. A longsword hangs in a scabbard by her hip, and an unstrung crossbow hangs across her back.

listen [roll0] spot[roll1] search[roll2]

ashifter
2014-07-15, 05:32 PM
Thiadir unties the knot from his sword and strings his bow.

It had taken a while, but they were finally searching for the children and more importantly for Richard, out of the kitchen. Stretching, Richard looks over at the rest of the search party. "Its slightly odd, but I guess people do go missing from time to time, I guess one of the main questions is what did it? Has there been large amounts of orc's or pirates around here lately?" Richard directs his last questions at the mounted watchman.

"I don't think orcs have the cunning to kidnap children without leaving a trace so if it was them, we should be able to find evidence fairly easily. As for pirates, I can't imagine two children being worth enough for the effort involved."

"Lyra, do you any connections with the native elven tribe? Perhaps they know something or at least can provide us with a tracker that knows this island."

"It would also be beneficence if there was an alternate language we could use to keep the guards or enemies from listening in"

"Any preferences?"

Thiadir watches the guards and the priest to see their reaction.

Yawielas
2014-07-15, 05:43 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra looks at Thiadir when he addresses her, and shakes her head a little. "No, I'm afraid I don't know any of this island's elves. But it's a good idea to ask them about a tracker. And perhaps if they to have experienced disappearances." Her elvish is impeccable, but it's a different dialect from the local elves. When he continues in sylvan and goblin, she shrugs a little and smiles, responding in Common:"I'm sorry, I don't understand." Turning to the others, mainly Penklok who she sees as the leader of the posse, more than the mounted guard, although she seems awfully young, she says:"Thiadir suggests asking the elves if one of their trackers could help us."

ashifter
2014-07-15, 06:54 PM
Thiadir:

"I guess I'll take this opportunity to formally introduce myself. My name is Thiadir, and I am an elf of the Aras Tribe. We are nomadic people and frequently leave our villages abandoned when we move on. As far as we're concerned, there's nothing wrong in using one of our villages while we are away as long as you move before we get back and don't damage anything. It is nice to meet you all and hopefully we can find these children quickly and with luck, find out what happened to ser Othok, and by doing so, put to rest these slanderous accusations."

"It is especially nice to meet you Lyra. I haven't had the opportunity to converse in my native tongue for several years. While your dialect is a bit different from my own, it is still much better than the common tongue. You also speak it very well for a half-human."

Vhaidara
2014-07-15, 07:04 PM
Marcus nods as the elf introduces himself
I am Marcus Enkion. I'm from the Empire of Ra-h. I got arrested for vagrancy pretty much as soon as I got into town. But I would have volunteered to help find this child, even if I wasn't under threat of execution.

ashifter
2014-07-15, 07:09 PM
Thiadir:

"Vagrancy? What's that? Did you kill someone?"

Yawielas
2014-07-16, 02:59 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra smiles briefly at Thiadir. It was nice to speak her mother's tongue again, even if it brought back unpleasant memories. In Elven, she replies:"Thank you. I'm from New Mogor. This is my native tongue." Looking at the others, she also introduces herself to those she hasn't already met:"I'm Lyra Willow." Then she turns her attention to the woods again.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-16, 06:06 AM
Richard Axsons

"Oh. I am Richard Axsons, I was raised in a small hamlet called Guthram. I left after some... disputes at home. I work in the kitchen's at the manor and after hearing the plights of the mother of one of the children I was sent to assist in the search. We'll find out what happened soon enough, two groups will let us cover more ground and perhaps the other group has someone who can follow tracks."

Bladehunter217
2014-07-16, 09:36 AM
Julian Kell

Julian Kell, friends call me Red or Kell the Red. Vagrancy is a executable crime now? Strange, well for your sake, I hope you find something useful. We really got two missing kids? That's a bit odd no? Wonder if they got lost playing in the woods." Kell puts one hand on his sword, tilting it so that the bottom of the scabbard didn't scrape against the ground. He was a sight what with his red cloak and hat and his sword nearing three fourths his hight and on his hip. He turns to Lyra and speaks in elven. "I had a cousin who swore he was a better archer than an elf. Found an elf so drunk she couldn't see straight and challenges the bloody woman to a contest of the bow and looses. Good ol Dit never had any idea of his abilities."

Yawielas
2014-07-16, 09:53 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra laughs a little, then remembers why they are out here. She smiles at Kell. "It's good to know one's abilities, and one's limitations, but also to strive to do better."

Bladehunter217
2014-07-16, 10:06 AM
Julian Kell

Kell chuckles, noting that humor can translate. He offers a short bow.
"But of course. If it is required, although I hope our search is nothing more, I am skilled with sword and have a great throwing arm. Once we've found the children we might swap stories.

ashifter
2014-07-16, 10:57 AM
Thiadir:

Richard Axsons

"Oh. I am Richard Axsons, I was raised in a small hamlet called Guthram. I left after some... disputes at home. I work in the kitchen's at the manor and after hearing the plights of the mother of one of the children I was sent to assist in the search. We'll find out what happened soon enough, two groups will let us cover more ground and perhaps the other group has someone who can follow tracks."

"Yes, I too was forced to leave my home because of a dispute. I'm glad I left, however. The outside world is far more interesting."

redzimmer
2014-07-16, 01:24 PM
[ooc: It has been decided when in a group, you can all share the benefit of a perception check when rolled.]
Richard Axsons

"Its slightly odd, but I guess people do go missing from time to time, I guess one of the main questions is what did it? Has there been large amounts of orc's or pirates around here lately?" Richard directs his last questions at the mounted watchman.

"No real sign of sea orcs this time of year. The summer squalls will take 'em to the bottom if they try," the watchman answers.

"Pirate, they don't much venture north of the Mud River."

He seems to hesitate, then goes on.

"If you ask me, I'd say it were them Zarusites that have been migrating here since the Armistice."

[knowledge local or religion.]

Richard & Penklok

Trying to put yourself in the shoes of someone who would abduct a child, it seems likely the culprit would try to find a secure place to restrain the children as soon as possible, knowing a search for them would commence quickly.

Richard

You cannot be sure, but you thin you hear a muffled scream on the wind.

Thiadir

If the mounted watchman has any grasp of elven or sylvan, it is beyond him. His brow does furrow with irritation when you speak goblin, however.

"I'd prefer if you spoke common, bushman," he says with a warning tone.

You see in the middle distance a reflection, either sun on metal or glass.

Marcus & Lyra

With your elf and aura-enhanced visions, you see the makings of a game trail at the edge of the wood. Marcus can vaguely make out the shape of a cabin or other structure.

Vhaidara
2014-07-16, 01:30 PM
Marcus points with his spear.
Look here. There's a path.
He squints
And it looks like there's some kind of building. Think we should investigate?

When it does come time for combat, everyone within 30ft of me (probably everyone) will get +1 to initiative from the Senses aura.

ashifter
2014-07-16, 01:34 PM
knowledge: [roll0]

"I can see the sun glinting off of something, probably a window."

And it looks like there's some kind of building. Think we should investigate?

"Yes, we should approach with caution."

runhidesurvive
2014-07-16, 01:39 PM
Richard Axsons

Richard immediately perks up. "Did... did anyone hear that? It sounded like someone screamed, but it was very faint."

Richard then turns to Marcus, his eyebrows furrowed slightly. "That sounds like a good idea. Chances are that if the children got lost they could easily have found that, even if not we can use it as a landmark."

Yawielas
2014-07-16, 02:00 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra nods as they spot the trail and the cabin. She takes a small steel shield from her pack and draws her sword when Richard mentions a scream. Glancing around, she lets those who doesn't make as much noise as her go first, but is ready to move forward fast if there's trouble.

ashifter
2014-07-16, 02:09 PM
"Should we continue to the cabin as a group? Or perhaps have one of us scout out the situation?"

runhidesurvive
2014-07-16, 02:09 PM
Richard Axsons

Richard will stick to the shadows when they approach the cabin, preferably he will try and go behind someone else who is better geared for frontal combat. He will also draw a his crossbow and load it.

[roll0] Hide check.
[roll1] Move silently check.

Vhaidara
2014-07-16, 02:11 PM
Marcus Enkion

I don't think splitting up is a good idea. If we get separated we may have a hard time finding each other again.
Marcus falls in behind Lyra, spear at the ready.

ashifter
2014-07-16, 02:17 PM
Thiadir:

Marcus Enkion

I don't think splitting up is a good idea. If we get separated we may have a hard time finding each other again.
Marcus falls in behind Lyra, spear at the ready.

"As long as we remain within sight of each other, we should be fine. I just meant that the less sneaky members of our group could keep back a bit while the more sneaky members try to scout out the situation. That way hopefully we can scout the situation without tipping off any enemies that may be inside."

"Though I am also fine with hanging around the more armored of our group" says Thiadir with a grin.

redzimmer
2014-07-16, 03:46 PM
Richard

You manage to steal into the wood towards the suspicious building without making nary a noise.

[roll0]
[roll1]

You see a man in the woods watching the game trail leading back to your search party-mates. He carries a scimitar and a what looks like a well-used shortbow.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-16, 03:55 PM
Richard makes his way back to the party. In a low voice he says "There's a man at the end of the trail, he has a blade and a shortbow that has seen a lot of use." He fumbles with the spell component pouch on his belt for a second. "What should we do now?"

ashifter
2014-07-16, 04:08 PM
Thiadir:

"Were you able to make out any distinguishing marks that could tell us if he's friend or foe? In any case, we could try to circle around him. If he's a guard of some sort, we should try to take him out before he raises the alarm. We could also wait in ambush for anyone who comes running to help the guard."

runhidesurvive
2014-07-17, 06:15 AM
Richard shakes his head. "Sorry, didn't see anything other than that and that he was lightly armored."

Yawielas
2014-07-17, 06:21 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra suggests:"The stealthier of us could head 'round and attack from the back, while those of us who tend to clank a bit when we walk approach from the front."

runhidesurvive
2014-07-17, 06:31 AM
Richard Axsons

"I don't know if attacking him straight away is a good idea. It is a good idea that the stealthier members of the group go behind but maybe the louder group should approach carefully first, if he attacks straight away we can assume he means us harm and the group at the back can attack him in turn. I'd rather not just attack a stranger for him to turn out to be some hunter or something else."

Yawielas
2014-07-17, 06:32 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra nods. "Yes, that's what I meant. Let's see what he does."

runhidesurvive
2014-07-17, 06:38 AM
Richard Axsons

"Ah, right, sorry. Okay, who will be sneaking around behind him? I assume I shall be one of them. "

[roll0] Hide check.

Bladehunter217
2014-07-17, 09:11 AM
Julian Kell

"I'll give you and anyone else a head start before walking up the hill. I've never been one to sneak around myself. Rather just walk up a hill and hope for the best. On that note I'd rather go alone just in case. He might flee if he sees a group heading his way. He offers a reassuring grin and checks his pack.

Vhaidara
2014-07-17, 10:23 AM
Marcus nods as the group plans their stealth assault.
I'm not the greatest warrior, but I fight better than I sneak. I'll stay back here.

redzimmer
2014-07-17, 10:33 AM
Everyone

"You all seem to believe the man our enemy," the mounted watchman says. [We will pretend he introduced himself at some point. His name is Teren.]

"But if this is your course, I ask that I accompany you, Julian. If he is a citizen of standing, he will not likely attack a member of the watch."

Vhaidara
2014-07-17, 10:36 AM
Marcus looks at Teren, scowling.
Safer to assume he may be a foe. Note that we have stated that we won't attack unless he strikes first.

Yawielas
2014-07-17, 10:51 AM
Lyra Willow

The half elf woman looks at Julian and the guardsman. "I'll walk a little behind you, then."

Bladehunter217
2014-07-17, 11:23 AM
"I do not believe him to be anything other than a citizen but if he has something to do with the children disappearing then he will likely leave if a group nears. I also believe that if that is the case he will also flee at sight of a guard. I am just a small folk, why would I be a threat to someone like that? Julian was slightly annoyed by the guard, they are important in town but rarely of use when you need more than just bodies.

redzimmer
2014-07-17, 12:33 PM
Teren snorts.

"Well then, I guess I'll just stay here with the horse, you seem to have it all figured out."

Sulkily, he crosses his arms.

ashifter
2014-07-17, 03:50 PM
Thiadir:

"I'll go with you then Richard."

hide
Move quietly [roll1]

Thiadir draws his shortbow.

hide [ROLL]1d20+9
Move quietly 1d20+9

ashifter
2014-07-17, 03:55 PM
hide [roll0]
Move quietly [roll1]

redzimmer
2014-07-18, 03:54 PM
Thiadir & Richard

You make a successful flanking maneuver and wait to see the armed man's response.

After a moment you hear the clear and obvious clanking noises of Julian walking up the path as conspicuously as he can, with Marcus close behind. The man quickly nocks an arrow.

Marcus & Julian

You walk down the path, keeping an eye open for potential ambush, etc.

Penklok, Lyra & Porthos

As you wait for word of the forward group, the mounted Teren draws his sword.

"You really need to mind your own business," he says, spurring his mount toward you and swinging his blade.

Bowman [roll0]
Teren (mounted [roll1]
Lyra 15
Marcus 19
Porthos 22
Penklok 10
Julian 12
Richard 19
Thiadir 14

Yawielas
2014-07-18, 04:51 PM
Lyra Willow

Her sword already in hand, Lyra looks up at the mounted guardsmand in surprise as he suddenly decides to attack his draftees. She tries to step out of the horse's path, and brings her sword up to meet his attack, hoping to parry. "You're saying you're in on this?!"

Melee roll:[roll0] Init 15

runhidesurvive
2014-07-18, 04:55 PM
Richard fumbles in his spell component pouch as he see's the bowman draw and knock an arrow, he draws a few rose petals and with a few slurred words he blows the petal's towards the man, casting sleep.

Casting sleep on the bow man, if he's flat-footed towards me the Dc increase's by one. Also if the spell fails the man takes -2 to AC and attack rolls.
The DC is 15.

ashifter
2014-07-19, 09:29 AM
Thiadir shakes his head.

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised...

If Richard's spell is unsuccessful, he will shoot the man with his bow.

[roll0]

redzimmer
2014-07-19, 10:13 AM
Bowman 0
Teren (mounted) 19
Lyra 15
Marcus 19
Porthos 22
Penklok 10
Julian 12
Richard 19
Thiadir 14

Porthos up first. In the event of a pc vs npc roll tie pc always wins, if pc rolls tie, higher DEX score goes first. Andso Richard then Marcus.

Hexalan
2014-07-19, 11:42 AM
Porthos shakes his head at the silly setback and stabs Teren with both blades.

Hit (Rapier) : [roll0]
Dam (Rapier) : [roll1]
Hit (Dagger) : [roll2]
Dam (Dagger) : [roll3]

redzimmer
2014-07-19, 12:12 PM
[ooc: Sorry, hexalan, was not too sure if you were back and took liberties.]
Porthos

As he charges past, Teren is slashed along his flank by Porthos. He keeps ahold of the reigns.

Richard

As he draws his bow and readies to fire at Marcus and Julian, a spell washes over the bowman.

[roll0]

He blinks a couple of times, fires the arrow at the ground and tumbles over, asleep.

Porthos 22
Richard 19
Marcus 19 next
Teren (mounted) 19
Lyra 15
Julian 12
Penklok 10
Bowman 0 asleep

Thiadir 14

ashifter
2014-07-20, 09:01 AM
Thiadir:

Seeing the bowman collapse, Thiadir whispers to Richard, "I'm going to go to the bowman and tie him up. Give a whistle if you see something."

If Richard agrees, he will run up to the fallen bowman and remove his weapons. He will then proceed to bind the bowman's hands together.
[roll0]

runhidesurvive
2014-07-20, 09:33 AM
Richard Axsons

Richard nods in return. "Go for it, I have my crossbow if anyone else comes."

redzimmer
2014-07-20, 07:00 PM
Teren

The watchman incessant the dagger wound and directs his charge at the so-called pirate.

[roll0] attack while mounted vs. AC 20
[roll1] Ride DC 5 check
[roll2] damage if hit
[roll3] critical check if needed
[roll4] crit damage if hit

The ex-noble deftly darts aside from the clumsy blow.

Hexalan
2014-07-20, 09:12 PM
As Porthos escapes from Teren's clumsy strike, he again moves back in to attack.

Yawielas
2014-07-21, 04:35 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra sees an opening as Teren rides past, and swings her sword at his side.

AoO[roll0] damage [roll1]

redzimmer
2014-07-21, 04:48 PM
Teren

"If you just kept your noses out of our business I wouldn't have to kill you, halfbreed!" the mounted guardsman says, then Porthos lunges his blade into the same gap in his armour as last time.

He rears his horse and moves to retreat, presumably back to town.

"And when I tell them a bunch of criminals and vagabonds attacked me, who will they believe?"

Porthos 22
Richard 19
Marcus 19 next
Teren (mounted) 19
Lyra 15 That attack was your AoO, take your actual turn now (unless you want to use your previous action as stated, which would be a miss).
Thiadir 14
Julian 12
Penklok 10
Bowman 0 asleep

Teren is moving to escape. He won't actually be on the move until his turn runs around again.

Yawielas
2014-07-21, 05:00 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra grits her teeth, and brings her blade around for another attack. "You're staying right here to tell us what the devil is going on!"

Attack[roll0] damage[roll1]

redzimmer
2014-07-21, 05:18 PM
Lyra

A spurt of blood gushes from the new opening in Teren's armour, courtesy of Lyra's blade.

He slumps over with shock.

[roll0] DC determined to be 25 to stay on horse when at negative HP

The horse obeys its last command, but the rider falls out of the saddle, one boot remaining in the stirrups as it gallops away.

Teren himself is well on his way to whatever god will take him, his blood spilling onto the floor of the forest's edge.

ashifter
2014-07-22, 10:53 AM
Thiadir:

Having bound and gagged the sleeping archer, Thiadir proceeds to search him for any loot and/or more importantly something that would give a clue as to what the hell was going on.

[roll0]

Vhaidara
2014-07-22, 10:57 AM
Marcus walks up to the others who had dealt with the archer, and speaks in a whisper.
So, is he just out cold now? How long will he stay like that?

runhidesurvive
2014-07-22, 11:01 AM
Richard Axsons

Richard's head pop's out from the bush he is hiding in. "Oh, a minute or two give or take. And don't worry about talking, as long as you are not overtly loud he'll stay asleep."

redzimmer
2014-07-22, 12:34 PM
Thaidir

You snatch away his scimitar and shortbow. In his purse is 12 gp and 4 sp. A small parchment with a graphite scribbling in goblin reads:

We got a freelancer what needs re-educating, usual place.

B

On his shoulder is a regimental tattoo: "QM X".

Yawielas
2014-07-22, 01:36 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra moves over to the fallen guard quickly, to see if he's still alive or not. Grimacing, she realises it might be hard to get any answers out of him like this, her hit had been a little too accurate. She kneels down to examine him after a brief glance at Porthos and Penklok. "He did attack first..."

Hazuki
2014-07-22, 01:39 PM
Penklok

The heavily-armored young woman watches in relative peace as the guardsman turns on them and her allies strike him down just as quickly. She glances at Lyra, who kneels beside the swiftly-dying man, then at the corpse, then shrugs her shoulders. "He was a jerk anyway." She says, as she draws her morningstar and shield. "But him doing that does mean we're getting close. He wouldn't have risked it if he weren't worried. So good job, everyone!" She says with a smile.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-22, 02:34 PM
Richard Axsons

Richard leaves his bush hiding spot, jogging over to where the other's were. "Okay, we got the bowman, now all we have to do is check out the..." he stops talking after he see's Teren who had been pulled by his horse, leaving a trail of blood. "Well, I'm assuming there is a good reason for this. Um. Should we stop the horse?"

Yawielas
2014-07-22, 02:46 PM
This is why I asked in the OOC whether or not Teren fell off his horse or was being pulled along. Someone answered he fell off, so that's what I went with.

redzimmer
2014-07-22, 03:05 PM
This is why I asked in the OOC whether or not Teren fell off his horse or was being pulled along. Someone answered he fell off, so that's what I went with.

[ooc: Riderless horse]

Yawielas
2014-07-22, 03:39 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra looks up at Richard from where she is checking Teren's state of health and also searching him while she's at it. "Yes. He turned on us and tried to kill us. I should think he's familiar with the bowman. I'm not sure he's all dead, if we need to question him..."

Search [roll0]

Vhaidara
2014-07-22, 03:45 PM
Marcus hurries over to Teren, refocusing his mind to exude his healing aura.

redzimmer
2014-07-22, 03:47 PM
Lyra

You give the dying man... dead man? a once over. Obviously you look for a regimental tattoo, but his does not match the one ("QM X") flashed at you that morning. This one seems to be light cavalry ("LC VII").

Splint mail, badly damaged, a longsword and a boot dagger are his only possessions, as far as you can tell.

A closer look reveals a key around his neck. Likely he stores his personal belongings elsewhere when on duty.

The wound in his side slowly congeals, though he still looks like he is knocking on the outer planes' door.

Yawielas
2014-07-22, 03:56 PM
Lyra Willow

Seeing Marcus coming closer to the man, Lyra grabs Teren's weapons and puts them out of reach. "Perhaps we should check out the building before questioning him. Might help with the questions."

ashifter
2014-07-23, 04:02 AM
Thiadir:

Having searched the archer as best he could, Thiadir goes to Teren and searches him as well.

[roll0]

While doing this, Thiadir remarks,

"I think we should at least question the bowman as far as to make sure there are no traps waiting for us inside the house. We can always ask more questions."

runhidesurvive
2014-07-23, 06:25 AM
Richard Axsons

"The bowman will be awake in a minute. What will we do the two of them?" Richard goes over and looks at Teren's equipment, but see's nothing really worth taking so wanders aimlessly around, keeping a eye out for trouble.

Yawielas
2014-07-23, 06:36 AM
Lyra Willow

"Well, we need to tie him up. Looks like he's getting better..." Lyra remarks.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-23, 06:59 AM
Richard Axsons

"I think Thiadir has some rope, I saw him tie up the bowman." Richard start's walking over to Thiadir and Marcus. "I'll tell them to bring the bowman over here, then we'll be out of the way of the cabin."

Bladehunter217
2014-07-23, 10:30 AM
Julian watches the exchance in mild surprise, not having noticed Teren's deception until the fight was almost over. He slowly makes his way to the bowman, putting a hand on his best dagger. "Well, at least one is alive. Let's try and keep it that way, no? I expect we might learn something interesting and hopefully useful.

Hexalan
2014-07-23, 10:41 AM
Porthos

"Ah, I've got some here." Pothos speaks up, and binds the almost dead man's limbs.

redzimmer
2014-07-23, 12:12 PM
Porthos

"Ah, I've got some here." Pothos speaks up, and binds the almost dead man's limbs.

The unconscious man says nothing. The bound archer begins to stir and thrashes panickingly.
[roll0]

"It weren't me! I was not near the docks!' he says, eyes practically rolling back in his head.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-25, 10:06 AM
Richard Axsons

Richard squats in front of the man. "One thing at a time. Whats in that cabin over there? It will be a lot easier if you co-operate now instead of later."

[roll0] Diplomacy check.

redzimmer
2014-07-25, 01:12 PM
Man Bound on the Ground

[roll0]

"Y.. you aren't with the Dashers?" he asks, now a bit confused.

Knowledge: Local DC 15

"Look, we Blues just had someone horning in on our turf, and we is just trying to enlighten him the error of his ways."

They are torturing a freelance thief with no affiliation with their guild, the Old Blue Tower Boys, in the cabin, he says.

ashifter
2014-07-27, 02:47 AM
Thiadir:

When it seems there are no more questions for the babbling archer, Thiadir starts walking up to the cabin keeping an eye and ear out for any movement or greater detail.

Listen:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]

Yawielas
2014-07-27, 04:48 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra walks after Thiadir to the cabin to check it out, in case he needs back up. She keeps her sword in hand. There could be more people around.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-27, 04:56 AM
Richard Axsons

Well, that made not much sense.. Richard nods his head towards Teren's almost-lifeless body. "Is he working with you?"

redzimmer
2014-07-27, 12:54 PM
Bowman

"Yeah, we toss Teren a little taste son's he keeps us in the loop and heat off'n us. Ya didn't hear it from me!" He adds.

Thiadir hears more anguished cries coming from the cabin.

ashifter
2014-07-27, 01:29 PM
Thiadir:

When he and Lyra (and anyone else who is going with them) reach the house, he peeks in the window. He then checks the door for traps or signs that there is someone on the other side waiting for them.

Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

redzimmer
2014-07-27, 02:00 PM
The cabin is run-down with no windows and a single, solid wooden door.

Yawielas
2014-07-27, 03:21 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra listens at the door, glancing to Thiadir. She whispers in elven:"I can break it down..."

Listen [roll0]

ashifter
2014-07-27, 03:25 PM
Thiadir:

Thiadir nods and whispers back in elven,"I'm right behind you."

Yawielas
2014-07-27, 03:37 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra first tries the handle, if it's locked she takes a step back, then slams her shoulder into the door.

Strength check [roll0]

redzimmer
2014-07-27, 03:47 PM
Lyra

As your plow into the door, it splinters off its hinges. While built for seclusion, it is not made to withstand a determined forced entry.

In the cabin two large men, one you recognize from your shakedown this morning, stand over a smaller man, who is bent backwards over what appears to be a saw horse.

The only light in the room is the glowing dagger in the hands of the man you've not previously met.

"Walk away, tree-humpers," the man you recognize says, "you didn't see nothing."

The man with the glowing dagger takes his attention away from his quarry and focuses on you.

Yawielas
2014-07-27, 04:05 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra draws her sword. "Nothing wrong with my eyes. Hammer Steve, is it? Or something else Steve? I get you all confused. Now, this looks very illegal to me...I suggest you stop it at once."

ashifter
2014-07-27, 04:16 PM
Thiadir:

With a grin, Thiadir draws his rapier and a dagger and says "This should be fun".

redzimmer
2014-07-27, 04:21 PM
Lyra

"Aye, I figured you wouldn't have no sense, 'breed," he says, drawing a short blade from his belt scabbard.

"You owe me for making me look a fool in front of my lads anyway."

The other torturer says nothing, his pleasant smile not leaving his face.

"Please! I never meant to... agh!"

Than man on the saw horse is silenced with a sharp kick from the grinning man.

Hammer Steve [roll0]
Smiling Knife Man [roll1]

[ooc: For expedience's sake, you can all be considered within range of the cabin. If you wish to become involved in the cabin, roll initiative. If you are remaining with prisoners, do not.]

Yawielas
2014-07-27, 04:24 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra feels her anger rising. Why do they always have to go straight to race? There's plenty of other perfectly names to call someone. While she gets hung up on the slur, she misses her initiative.

Initiative [roll0]

ashifter
2014-07-27, 04:24 PM
Thiadir:

Initiative: [roll0]

Hexalan
2014-07-27, 05:45 PM
Porthos
"what are they getting up to in there..." Porthos comes up behind Thiadir and Lyra, sees the angry men with sharp objects, so quickly pulls out his weapons.

Initiative: [roll0]

Bladehunter217
2014-07-27, 08:42 PM
Julian Kell

"I appreciate your cooperation friend, and as such, we'll discuss releasing you after we are done. If you would like to help us finish sooner so that you can leave, I have a few questions. Do you know anything about the missing children? Did your friends have anything to do with their disappearance?"

redzimmer
2014-07-29, 03:33 PM
Bowman

"Blue don't deal in kids, er, sir," the bowman says.

"Look, you ain't the watch, and once Teren gets up he'll try pinning this all on you. What say you kinda let me go, I take Teren outta the picture and we pretend we never seen each other."

redzimmer
2014-07-29, 03:40 PM
Hammer Steve

With a quick feint, Steve stabs at Lyra.

"Zarusite in the Cove'll pay good coin for elf ears," he says. "Guess it's me lucky day!"

redzimmer
2014-07-29, 03:44 PM
Hammer Steve

[roll0]
[roll1] damage if hit
[roll2] if crit
[roll3] damage if hit crit

Porthos 14
Thiadir 12
Smiling Knife Man 6
Lyra 4

ashifter
2014-07-29, 03:53 PM
Thiadir:

Thiadir attempts to tumble around the smiling knife man and stab him before he can react.

[roll0]

Rapier Attack: [roll1]+2 = 11 (successful tumble means +2 for flank bonus)
Dmg if hit: [roll2] + sneak attack: [roll3]

Dagger Attack: [roll4]+2 = 8
Dmg if hit: [roll5] + sneak attack: [roll6]

Hexalan
2014-07-29, 03:59 PM
Porthos

"What? People just buy ears now?"

Porthos dashes up and stabs Hammer Steve several times.

Yawielas
2014-07-29, 04:08 PM
Lyra Willow

"I see you've switched your club for something sharper. Smart move. But I'm rather attached to my ears." Lyra swings her longsword at Hammer Steve.

Attack longsword [roll0] Damage [roll1] If crit, confirm:
[roll2] damage if crit [roll3]

redzimmer
2014-07-29, 04:34 PM
The room is awhirl with swinging and stabbing blades, the sharp hissing clangs of the series of parries and ripostes echoes and nearly dorwns out the bound man's groans.

Smiling Knife Man

Sets Dodge Bonus vs. Thiadir

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage
[roll2] to hit critical if needed
[roll3] damage critical if needed

The Smiling Man's grin widens as he draws a line of blood along Thiadir's arm.

runhidesurvive
2014-07-30, 05:01 AM
Richard Axsons

Richard shakes his head"I don't know about the others, but I don't think that's a good idea. We'll wait till the others come out from the cabin. Speaking of which, what is going on in there?" Richard gets up from his kneeling position and walks as close to the cabin as he can.

ashifter
2014-07-30, 07:50 AM
Thiadir:

Thiadir yelps when the smiling knife man sliced him. He then scowls and says,

"Well, maybe I'll have myself some human ears."

Thiadir attacks again.

Rapier hit: [roll0]
Rapier dmg: [roll1] + sneak attack dmg: [roll2]

Dagger hit: [roll3]
Dagger dmg: [roll4] + sneak attack dmg: [roll5]

Yawielas
2014-07-31, 02:47 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra asks while fighting Hammer Steve:"What are the Blues, anyway? Or who?" She figures it's better to interrogate them while they're still alive, not wanting to repeat the mistake she made with Teren.

(waiting for Hammer Steve's attack)

Hexalan
2014-07-31, 02:54 PM
Porthos

Porthos again tries to attempts to impale Hammer Steve, and smirks when his blades manage to actually hit him this time.

redzimmer
2014-07-31, 04:43 PM
Hammer Steve

"Why, we Blue Tower Boys are the one who killed you, Miss!"

Hammer Steve moves out of a position that may allow Thiadir to flank him and stabs at Lyra again.

[roll0] to hit Lyra
[roll1] damage if hit
[roll2] if crit
[roll3] damage if hit crit

As he extends his blade, Porthos's rapier skids under his arm, opening a major gash, and a second slash with the dagger opens the artery on his wrist.

Hammer Steve falls, stunned that two quick slashes would be his undoing.

Yawielas
2014-07-31, 04:48 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra hisses when Hammer's blade bites into her, but before she can retort, Porthos has brought him down."Not yet..." She turns towards the smiling knife man.

redzimmer
2014-07-31, 04:50 PM
Lyra

You slice through nothing but air as the thug topples over from rapid blood loss.

-3 HP and falling

Smiling Knife Man

"Perhaps, we can just talk," the smiling man says amiably, making a point of holding his knife in a non-threatening manner.

ashifter
2014-08-01, 08:45 PM
Thiadir:

Thiadir licks the cut on his arm and winces.

"Talking is good. How about you start talking and give us a reason not to either kill you or turn you in. If we don't reach some sort of arrangement, I'm sure we can go back to stabbing you. "

(Ooc: for when the knife man starts talking as well as looking for anything of interest on the man or around the hut.)

sense motive:[roll0]
spot:[roll1]
search:[roll2]

redzimmer
2014-08-01, 08:55 PM
Smiling Knife Man

"Well, I do concede you have me at a slight disadvantage, let me remind you that I and my blustery associate," he points at nearly dead Hammer Steve, "were engaged in a private business dealing and doing no harm to you when you invaded."

With a flourish he drops the dagger, giving the dark cabin an even eerier lighting effect.

"Unless you for reasons unfathomable, you have come to rescue this piece of human excrement," he now points at the trussed , whimpering man, "what brings you here?"

Yawielas
2014-08-02, 01:55 PM
Lyra Willow

Keeping her sword up, Lyra steps forward. "We're looking for two missing children. If you know anything about that, now would be a good time to tell us. Oh, and yes, better untie that man..."

redzimmer
2014-08-02, 02:15 PM
Smiling Knifeless Man

"Missing children you say?" he ask, the smile growing cold. "Well, you naughty little fellow, perhaps you would like to contribute to this discussion?"

He looks at the tied man, clear that he was speaking to him. He then glances at his knife on the floor.

"I fear these knots were not meant for untying. If you'd assist?"

His smile returns, brighter than ever.

"You see, this little scamp here has been engaging in some unlawful activity in this fine district! Yes, I too am aghast! You see, I and my associate... oh dear, as we spoke Hammer Steve has passed on. I frown upon the horrendous crime of human trafficking. I was in the process of expressing my distaste of the crime to this here practitioner of such same."

The tied and tortured man is a slaver. He might know. Ask him. But I have no knife to untie him.

Yawielas
2014-08-02, 02:24 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra cuts the ropes tying the slaver down. "Where are the children?" She keeps an eye on the knife man as well.

runhidesurvive
2014-08-02, 02:28 PM
Richard Axsons

Richard's head peaks around the frame of the door. He looks at figures within, seeing a body lying on the ground. "It is becoming very common that I come to see what has happened only to find someone on their last legs. Is there a problem here currently?" Richard keeps a hand near his spell component pouch, wary of the smiling man.

Yawielas
2014-08-02, 02:34 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra is bleeding from a gash in her side, and stands pointing her sword at a man she just released from his bonds. She turns to Richard. "Seems they were torturing a slaver. He might know something about the children. And the one on the floor attacked us. He also tried to rob me this morning, with two of his friends. Called themselves Blues."

redzimmer
2014-08-02, 02:40 PM
Richard

DC 15 to determine these "Blues" once and for all.

The Smiling Man continues to hold his hands outward, and he greets the newcomer with another winning grin.

"Ah! Another daring rescuer! Welcome to my place of business!"

The slaver, now unbound is shaking, a bit from shock, a bit from fear.

"I never knew! I swear! He just said he needed guys for an off-the-books mine! They never said nuthin' 'bouts kids!"

Yawielas
2014-08-02, 02:49 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra turns back to the slaver. "Who did? Who's "they"?"

runhidesurvive
2014-08-02, 02:51 PM
Richard Axsons

"What goes around comes around it seems. The man with the bow outside said he was one of the Blues and how they were dealing with someone doing something to their turf. I assume that slaver is him. And yes, its probably in your best interests to tell us who "They" are." Richard glares at the slaver, hopefully he'll be like his friend outside.

redzimmer
2014-08-02, 02:59 PM
Sniveling Slaver Whose Name is (no doubt) Steve Also

"I... these nobs come to me looking for able bodies to work this old mine they found. I would get a logger or some bum drunk, lead up to a pick-up spot and they'd get Septereved (Tevera equivalent of getting Shanghaied -rz) to work the mine. I get a coin, and nobody local gets hurt!"

He thinks for a minute, know his life is very dangly right now.

"I can show you where!"

ashifter
2014-08-02, 03:41 PM
Thiadir:

"Why don't you do that.". Says Thiadir to the slaver.

He then sheathes his weapons and turns back towards the smiling man.

"It seems we might be able to come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. How much would the blues pay us to remove these slavers?"

redzimmer
2014-08-02, 05:14 PM
Smiling Man

"I think you might already profit should you discover who is behind these disappearances. As for what I will pay you?"

He ponders a moment.

"You may keep the knife," he says, motioning to the glowing dagger, "I have others. As well, I give this refuse over to you, and will ask the Boys to overlook your trespass here today."

He crosses his arms and the smile grows colder.

"As a last boon, you may decide this vermin's fate. Now please leave, and do not return without invitation."

ashifter
2014-08-02, 07:12 PM
Thiadir:

Thiadir grins, reaches down and picks up the glowing dagger. He then bows and says,
"While those terms are agreeable to me, I can't speak for the rest of the group."

Bladehunter217
2014-08-02, 11:41 PM
Bowman

"Blue don't deal in kids, er, sir," the bowman says.

"Look, you ain't the watch, and once Teren gets up he'll try pinning this all on you. What say you kinda let me go, I take Teren outta the picture and we pretend we never seen each other."

Julian Kell

"Blues don't deal in children. You know something archer, I think that your politeness just saved ya. Once mt friends get back from that cabin up there, your free, hope Teren doesn't bleed to death in the meantime.

Sorry about being gone, been a bit busy this week.

Yawielas
2014-08-03, 12:25 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra shakes her head. "I think not. You Blues brothers might not be slavers, but it seems torture, kidnapping, robbery and murder isn't out of your agenda." She keeps her sword trained on the smiling knife man. "Let's hear what the others say."

runhidesurvive
2014-08-03, 11:55 AM
Richard Axsons

Richard peers at the glowing dagger "Yes, this calls for a group discussion. Do you want us to take him off your hands now or wait until we've talked?" Richard motions to the slaver.

Hexalan
2014-08-04, 12:30 AM
Porthos

"Personally, such an agreement seems like a win for all parties involved-" Porthos glances at the slaver who had been tortured for some time. "-the important ones, anyway. However, a few of our happy band follow a more...stringent code of morals. It might take more to convince them that our deal is their best interest

Diplomacy: [roll0] to get more from Smiling Knife Man (information, better relations with the Blues, How much would the blues pay us to remove these slavers?, etc.)

OHA there's specific rules for negotiations that basically

redzimmer
2014-08-05, 02:48 PM
Julian

The bound bowman simply nods, not eager to antagonize the blade-wielding halfling.

Lyra]

"So you say, m'lady," the Smiling Man says, "but this fellow I have been so ghastly to seems to have a hand in the missing children you seek."

He continues to hold out his hands in what seems to be a non-threatening manner.

"I presume you must a paladin, you are so intent on the order of the law. So tell me, do you act as my judge, jury and executioner, or do I get a trial first?"

Richard Axson

"No, I think we got the message clear to him what our fraternity will do to freelance businessmen in our turf," he says, pointedly looking at you and Thiadir as he says it.

[roll0]

Porthos

"Ah, you must be the dreaded Pirated Porthos! Well, kind sir, I concede that you are all in the flux of a moral quandary, dealing with such a villain as myself. But! I am certain those poor children must be in great peril, if they are in the clutches of those who would treat with this filth."

Again he gestures at the untied and whimpering man.

"Now I ask you, am I to be killed out of hand? Will that sate your thirst for justice?"

Smiling Man is a businessperson, so he is open to propositions. A party in no way associated with him engaging in some for-hire slaver slaying is certainly in his better interests.

ashifter
2014-08-05, 03:59 PM
Thiadir:

"I presume you must a paladin, you are so intent on the order of the law. So tell me, do you act as my judge, jury and executioner, or do I get a trial first?"

Thiadir hides a grin.

"Now I ask you, am I to be killed out of hand? Will that sate your thirst for justice?"

"Well, now that he's weapon-less," Thiadir twirls the glowing dagger, "killing him would be killing him in cold blood. This gentleman has offered us quite a fine deal, why not accept? "

In elven,"Besides, it would be a lot easier to take down each gang one by one instead of fighting both at once."

runhidesurvive
2014-08-05, 04:11 PM
Richard Axsons

Richard nods, then walks back to the rest of the group. ""There was a bit of a mess but its cleared up now. What is important is that we've got a lead to where the children may be, there was a slaver being "Dealt with"" Richard brings his hands up for air quotes. "But he apparently know's where the children are, the others are there talking with one of the men in the cabin, I guess the rest of us should go there but I think we'll be leaving soon."

Yawielas
2014-08-05, 04:22 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra smirks. "I'm no paladin, not even a city guard, and certainly not a lady. I do however have a bone to pick with the Blues, since three of you, including the late Hammer Steve, tried to rob me this morning. However, we can't be bothered with taking a prisoner along, and I'm not in the habit of doling out death sentences. I'd like the others' opinions, though."

Glancing to Thiadir, she nods a little.

redzimmer
2014-08-05, 04:48 PM
Smiling Man

"Then please accept my apologies, you-who-are-not-a-lady," he says with a bow.

"Hammer Steve was an obnoxious brute who more often crowed about being Blue and did less to advance us. As such, please I hope you will consider the matter closed with his sudden exsanguination."

Bladehunter217
2014-08-05, 05:28 PM
Julian Kell

Glad we're on speaking terms. I'd hate for something to come between us, its not as though you're hiding anything that would anger me. I probably don't even need the knife, do I? Julian smiles and starts picking the dirt from his fingernails, humming to himself.

ashifter
2014-08-06, 04:07 PM
Thiadir:

"While bringing a prisoner with us is a hassle, we need him to show us the way to the mine. It'd also be good to have him on hand if there's a trap.

Yawielas
2014-08-06, 04:17 PM
Lyra Willow

"Let's head out to the others, then, everyone. Including the two of you," she says to the slaver and the knifeless man. "I believe we have one or two more prisoners out there. I don't think we can bring them all."

redzimmer
2014-08-06, 05:36 PM
Everyone

After a time, you and your three living and surviving prisoner are assembled at the clearing where you were initially attacked by Teren.

The man with the bow favours the smiling man with a terrified glance. Smiling man merely shakes his head at the man.

ashifter
2014-08-07, 04:50 PM
Thiadir:

Thiadir whispers to the group so that the prisoners don't hear,
"You know, I have a feeling that if we leave the archer with the smiling man, it'll end very badly for him. I say we let the archer go so at least he has a head start..."

Bladehunter217
2014-08-07, 06:55 PM
Julian Kell

Kell chuckled, lowering his voice as well. "I was only waiting to release him because it would have been rude to surprise you with his release. I would like to speak with ah, cheerful one. He turned back and stood by the smiling man. Seeing how I already had a chat with your friend here he can leave. Mind I ask who you are?

Yawielas
2014-08-08, 02:38 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra looks to Penklok, Porthos and Richard, waiting for their say in the matter.

ooc: I hope I didn't forget anyone, not sure who's still with us.

runhidesurvive
2014-08-08, 05:17 AM
Richard Axsons

Richard shuffles over then speaks in a quiet tone. "Yeah, releasing the bowman's a good idea, don't like the look he is giving Smiley, makes me anxious. We should keep an eye on him."

Hexalan
2014-08-08, 09:06 AM
Porthos

"Yeah, sure whatever." Having gotten the information they needed from the bowman, Porthos is now rather indifferent towards his fate.

redzimmer
2014-08-08, 07:52 PM
Julian Kell

Kell chuckled, lowering his voice as well. "I was only waiting to release him because it would have been rude to surprise you with his release. I would like to speak with ah, cheerful one. He turned back and stood by the smiling man. Seeing how I already had a chat with your friend here he can leave. Mind I ask who you are?

Thought You'd Never Ask

"Why of course not, good sir," he says with a bow.

"I am Gavin of Shallows, private businessman and friend to all. I see your have already met my nephew Conner, Enemy of Good Sense," he adds, pointing to the bowman. "Oh and Teren! Why you have been on a bit of a rampage! I would not want to be the villain who took those wee ones!"

Gavin, the Smiling Man looks over the group, offering yet another smile Penklok.

"Why if it isn't the Saint of the Slums herself! I truly am in heroic company. Conner," he addresses the bowman, "does our burly chum yet live?"

Conner, torn between loyalty and a well-armed halfling looks to Julian then his uncle and nods.

"Well, no matter. He's proven even less use than Hammer Steve. So then, what shall be my fate? Shall I beg for my life now?"

Hazuki
2014-08-08, 07:54 PM
Penklok

"Stop smiling at me. It makes you look dumb." Penklok tells the smiling criminal, her arms folded over her heavily-armored chest.

Hexalan
2014-08-08, 09:18 PM
Porthos

"If it makes you feel better, you can." Porthos says to the newly-named Gavin.

He turns his head back at his allies and speaks, in Elven this time, "What are we doing with him? He seems pretty important in the Blues, if we kill him, we'll have no end of trouble from them."

Vhaidara
2014-08-08, 09:26 PM
Marcus looks up from where he'd been watching Teren heal. He switches his focus back to enhancing the sense of his comrades.
I'm sorry, what was that?

ashifter
2014-08-08, 09:38 PM
Thiadir:

"I think we agreed to let him go since we don't want to be fighting with two gangs at once." replies Thiadir in elven. He winks and smiles at Gavin.

Bladehunter217
2014-08-09, 01:34 AM
Julian Kell

Julian sighs and looks toward Thiadir speaking in Elven before making eye contact. "What happened up at that cabin and what hole did this thing crawl out of. At the question of Gavin's on begging, he scoffs. "Begging will not change our opinion on you and will do little more than take away your shame. Be patient and we will decide what to do with you."

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 01:36 AM
Marcus looks back and forth between his comrades.
Hello? I know you guys speak Common.

runhidesurvive
2014-08-09, 05:05 AM
Richard Axsons

"I think it's a security thing. So Sm... Gavin, are you the leader of the Blues or just an important figure within them." Richard eyes Thiadir and Julian, at this rate he's going to have to learn elvish too.

Yawielas
2014-08-09, 06:28 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra shrugs. "Fine, let the archer go. Gavin to for all I care, after he's answered whatever questions we might have. Then let's go find the mine," she says to the slaver. "You said you could show us where."

ashifter
2014-08-09, 06:31 AM
Thiadir:

Thiadir replies quietly,

"Upon reaching the cabin we found two men, one of them ser Gavin and the other a man named Hammer Steve, torturing the other man you see before you. Hostilities ensued since Hammer Steve had tried to rob our dear Lyra this morning, resulting in the quick dispatchment of Hammer Steve who, as you can probably guess, was wielding a sword."
Thiadir winks.
"Ser Gavin surrendered and revealed to us that this man, who I now realize I don't know the name of either, is a slaver who knows where the children are. Oh and Gavin bears us no ill will over this misunderstanding, so he says, and will try to smooth things over with the blues in exchange for his life, obviously, and for us taking care of the slavers who are infringing on their turf. I think that's it."

Bladehunter217
2014-08-09, 10:17 AM
Julian Kell

"Well, I would rather live near a few thieves than slavers. Alright Gavin, anything you can tell us about this third man? I hope you got something interesting from him." While speaking, Julian unties and gestures the bowman to leave. It would be better for him to be far away considering his response to Gavin.

redzimmer
2014-08-13, 12:13 PM
Richard Axsons

"I think it's a security thing. So Sm... Gavin, are you the leader of the Blues or just an important figure within them." Richard eyes Thiadir and Julian, at this rate he's going to have to learn elvish too.

Julian Kell
"Well, I would rather live near a few thieves than slavers. Alright Gavin, anything you can tell us about this third man? I hope you got something interesting from him." While speaking, Julian unties and gestures the bowman to leave. It would be better for him to be far away considering his response to Gavin.

Gavin

"Oh goodness no. I am just a specialist they bring in when information must be gleaned in unconventional means," Gavin says to Richard. "Sadly, Sir Halfling, your associates appeared before I could question him thoroughly. Hammer Steve did love doing his posturing as well, which wastes great reams of time. However, I grieve that your time is of the essence. Who knows what these cruel, cruel slavers may do to children."

If he genuinely cared, the inflection in his voice suggested otherwise.

"I assure you, I can deal with brash Teren here, you are welcome to strip him of his valuables, if that is the sort of thing you are into. Oh, I see you already have. No matter."

ashifter
2014-08-13, 12:37 PM
Thiadir:

Having nothing more to ask Gavin, Thiadir finds a rock to sit on or a tree to lean against, whichever is closest.

"Whenever you guys are ready to leave, let me know."

Yawielas
2014-08-13, 01:36 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra holds the slaver in check, and looks to Thiadir. "Ready and raring to go."

runhidesurvive
2014-08-13, 01:41 PM
Richard Axsons

Richard glares at Gavin then sigh's. "As much as I don't like agreeing with criminals, he has a point. I ready to go when everyone else is."

Bladehunter217
2014-08-13, 02:04 PM
"Don't tell us why you captred him if you don't want to. If that's all you know that we are interested in, I have no interest in keeping you around. Don't bother us any and you can leave." Julian takes a look at the slaver and sighs. "Let's be off then."

Hexalan
2014-08-13, 02:58 PM
Porthos

"Yes, why don't we." Porthos moves over behind the slaver, one hand around his shoulder and the other ominously holding his dagger. "I'm sure you won't do anything rash."

Yawielas
2014-08-16, 03:22 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra gives a final look to the smiling man, wondering just how wise it is to let him go, but not keen to slit his throat either, so she just nods to him, then heads off with the others and the slaver. "Let's find those children."

redzimmer
2014-08-16, 04:53 PM
Nodding agreement, the bowman Conner leaves as quickly as possible, leaving his weapons behind.

Gavin Who Smiles

"Grand, so since no one else is objecting, you, elf may take my dagger, and I shall take Sir Teren here back to town. I cannot ensure he will not take personal vendettas against you, but no Blue will make business with you regarding this slaver episode," he says, and leaves.

Time passes, and the slaver in your custody offers timidly:

"Er... the man I sold the loggers to has his place in an old cave about half and hour's walk from here. I want to remind you, I never done took no kids!"

Bladehunter217
2014-08-16, 05:48 PM
Julian Kell

Kell could not help but smile broadly at the man. "If you never took any kids than I've not a single reason to harm you have I? Good thing you haven't taken any kids, no?

ashifter
2014-08-17, 11:55 AM
Thiadir:

As he walks, Thiadir whistles a tune he picked up from his travels. He doesn't remember any of the words or where it came from, but something about today's events reminded him of it.

redzimmer
2014-08-19, 04:57 PM
Everyone

Time passes quickly as you quick-march the slaver towards his destination. Finally you come across what looks to be a deadfall in front of a rock face.

But closer inspection reveals a cunningly disguised cave entrance.

"So, er... I guess you don't need me no more...?" the slaver asks hopefully, trying to inch his broken body away from you, particularly the heavily-armed halfling and half-elf.

Bladehunter217
2014-08-19, 07:20 PM
Julian Kell

Don't be ridiculous. Of course we want you to stay, who else is going to introduce us if there's anyone inside? Come along friend. Julian gestures for the slaver to go first, swapping dagger for sword. Just in case, no?

ashifter
2014-08-19, 08:02 PM
Thiadir:

Thiadir pokes Richard and whispers, "Hey, our scouting worked out pretty well last time. Fancy a walk?"

Hexalan
2014-08-19, 08:30 PM
Porthos

"Why don't you come along at the front with the rest of us, eh? This way, it'll jog your memory in case before we run into anything nasty."

Diplomacy: [roll0] to have him tell us now about any traps, secret code words, etc. that we might need to know about before going in.

runhidesurvive
2014-08-20, 10:26 AM
Richard Axsons

"Not a bad idea, but keep an eye out for traps, there will more than likely be something or other." Richard whispers back. Richard draws his crossbow and approaches the cave entrance, keeping to the walls and looking for traps. When Thiader is ready he will go deeper.

[roll0] Hide check.
[roll2] Search check (Just in case)

ashifter
2014-08-20, 11:02 AM
Thiadir:

"Of course, it wouldn't be fun otherwise"

whispers back Thiadir with a wink.

"I'm ready to go as soon as mister slaver gives us what information he has."

Once the slaver tells the group what he knows about traps and stuff, Thiadir will say,

"Richard and I are going to scout ahead."

He will then go into the cave sneakily, keeping an eye out for traps and an ear out for noises.

Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently:[roll1]
Search:[roll2]
Listen:[roll3]

Yawielas
2014-08-20, 11:16 AM
Lyra Willow

Lyra keeps an eye on their prisoner, and occasionally glances behind them in case the Blues decides to give chase after all. "How many people can we expect to encounter in there?" she asks the slaver.

redzimmer
2014-08-20, 12:07 PM
Slaver

"The man had a couple other guy who did the heavy lifting," he says, wary of Lyra and trying to inch away from her. "'course I got him at least twelve guys for the real lifting, amirite?"

For someone held at bladepoint, he has a rather inappropriate sense of humour.

Yawielas
2014-08-29, 01:10 AM
Lyra Willow

"So maybe 15 in total, although some are not there by choice...." Lyra looks to the scouts. "Be careful. We won't be far away." She prods the slaver towards the cave opening.

redzimmer
2014-08-29, 03:16 PM
Slaver

The slaver nervously inches into the obscured cave entrance, making a very pointed effort to not stand directly in the center of the cave mouth.

Suddenly, a scything blade swings out and lodges itself firmly into the man's chest.

[roll0]
[roll1] possible crit vs. AC 10 flat-footed
[roll2]x2 crit if needed
[roll3]x3
[roll4]x4

"That's a new one..." he says before his dead body slides down the blade.

Yawielas
2014-08-29, 04:54 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra raises an eyebrow, watching the slaver slide from the blade. Then she turns to Thiadir and Richard. "I'll go out on a limb here and say look for traps..."

Bladehunter217
2014-08-29, 05:08 PM
Julian Kell

"Well, that puts a downer on things. I wanted him for a hostage." He offers a small pout, returning his sword to its sheath.

Hexalan
2014-08-29, 06:09 PM
Porthos

"Blades still out though, I think." Porthos draws his rapier out, while twirling his dagger about in his other hand. "Sneaky people, you are welcome to go ahead."

ashifter
2014-08-29, 06:10 PM
Thiadir:

*cough* Thiadir turns around back towards the group, rubs his head sheepishly and says,

"I totally knew that trap was there..."

(It's apparent he totally did not.)

"I'll look harder next time."

Bladehunter217
2014-08-29, 11:17 PM
Julian Kell

For someone my size, surprise is as powerful a weapon as my sword. I'll draw it when the time comes and let all who underestimate me feel its bite. Julian eyes the rapier, he was never fond of such weapons but he has seen them used before and was content having it on his side. Never underestimate the small armed with anger and sword. Drawing my weapon is part of the battle at times.

ashifter
2014-09-03, 10:51 PM
Thiadir:

You're slipping Thiadir, all winter holed up in that shack has rusted your formerly honed skills. Next time you won't be so lucky,

Thiadir thinks to himself, shaking his head. With that grim thought in mind, Thiadir proceeds forward.

runhidesurvive
2014-09-04, 11:42 AM
Richard creeps behind Thaidir keeping an eye out for traps or hidden things. "Better be careful, that last trap almost sliced that man in half, don't want that happening to us."

[roll0] Search check, for traps and such.
[roll1] Listen check
[roll2] Spot check.
[roll3] Hide check.
[roll4] Move silently check.

ashifter
2014-09-04, 02:07 PM
Thiadir:

"A long winter holed up in one place tends to diminish one's skills. Then again, a brush with death tends to shake off those cobwebs."

Search:[roll0]
Hide:[roll1]
Move Silently:[roll2]
Spot:[roll3]
Listen:[roll4]

Yawielas
2014-09-04, 02:39 PM
Lyra Willow

Lyra waits a few moments before following inside, hoping the two scouts will discover any remaining traps.

Hexalan
2014-09-04, 04:13 PM
Porthos

Porthos pokes the dead slaver, as if confirming he is in fact dead, then, apparently satisfied, follows Lyra into the cave.

Bladehunter217
2014-09-05, 08:53 AM
Julian Kell

I'll stay here for the moment, no reason for me to distract your search for any more scythe things. Julian doesn't move, certain that at least whrre he is currently standing is safe.