PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Hydroloth [PEACH]

kinem
2014-07-10, 08:27 PM
HYDROLOTH (3.5 conversion)

Large Outsider (Evil, Yugoloth, Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 7d8+14 (45 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft, swim 60 ft, glide 60 ft (poor)
AC: 16 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
BAB/Grapple: +7/+13
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d8+2) or spit +7 ranged touch (poison)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d8+2) and bite +6 melee (2d6+1), or spit +7 ranged touch (poison)
Space/Reach: 10'/10'
Special Attacks: Pounce, rake 1d4+1, spit, spell-like abilities, summon yugoloth
Special Qualities: Amphibious, Damage reduction 5/-, glide, immune to mind-affecting, SR 20, yugoloth traits (darkvision 60'; immune to poison and acid; cold, fire, and electricity resistance 10; telepathy 100')
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Hide +7, Intimidate +11, Listen +10, Move Silently +11, Search +10, Spot +11, Swim +12
Feats: Multiattack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (claw)
Environment: Any (lower planes)
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-4), swarm (5-8), or mob (9-23)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 8-14 HD (Large); 15-21 HD (Huge)
Level adjustment: +3

Hydroloths are the only creatures known to swim in the Styx without losing their memories.

They are squat humanoids, about 10 feet tall, with large flaps of skin under their arms. They have frog-like faces and warty, yellow skin. Their skin feels cool to the touch.

Other yugoloths have a high regard for their abilities in amphibious and underwater warfare, especially in covert and guerrilla attacks. Hydroloths use this prestige to gain power and influence: extra wealth, or a share of the mortal life forces paid for the job they do. More powerful yugoloths have the strength to force the hydroloths’ obedience, but they wisely appease these creatures’ demands.

Hydroloths speak Abyssal, Draconic, and Infernal.

COMBAT

Hydroloths gleefully attack anything they feel they can easily defeat, but are cowardly against equal or superior forces.

Before combat, a hydroloth is usually invisible, and if it can remain undetected it summons water elementals and perhaps another hydroloth prior to attacking. When combat begins, the hydroloth will use its pouncing dive or sleep poison spittle. A favorite tactic of the hydroloths is to use dimension door to gain height for a dive.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—create water, deeper darkness, invisibility (self only, unlimited duration until it attacks), water walk; 2/day—dimension door (680'), modify memory (Will neg DC 15), summon monster VI (large 8 HD water elemental only), greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 7 (as HD); save DCs are Cha-based.

Glide (ex): Using its patagia (skin flaps), the hydroloth can glide. Treat this as flight, except that it cannot gain height and must descend at least 5' for every 30' traveled.

Pounce (Ex): If a hydroloth dives upon or charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks using its foot claws..

Rake (Ex): 2 foot claws; attack bonus +6 melee, damage 1d4+1.

Spit (Ex): +7 ranged touch attack with 20' range, once per round as a standard action (no more than 5/day); Fortitude save (DC 15, Con-based) or fall unconscious for 1d6+2 rounds.

Summon Yugoloth (Sp): Once per day, a hydroloth can attempt to summon another hydroloth with a 50% chance of success.

Yugoloth Traits: A yugoloth is immune to poison and acid. It has cold, fire, and electricity resistance 10. Yugoloths can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language. Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish).

Advancement: Increase SR by 1 for each class level, and by 1 for every 2 racial HD above 7.

Skills: Hydroloths have a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard and can always choose to take 10 on Swim checks, even if distracted or endangered.

Debihuman
2014-07-11, 07:54 AM
Stat block looks great. The only things I see missing are: it is missing Extraplanar subtype; environment (not terrain that's 3.0) for Outsiders always lists their home plane, The Bleak Eternity of Gehenna; and lastly the rake damage 1d4+1 after rake. If these are Native, then obviously that needs to be added but not the home plane.

To match the earlier version of the hydroloth's attacks, claw damage should be 1d8 plus Str bonus and bite should be 1d10 plus 1/2 Str bonus. It is a Large creature after all.

If the creature is diving and pouncing, the Special Ability is just called Pounce. See Griffon.

Pounce (Ex): If a hydroloth dives upon or charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Kudos on an excellent conversion.

Debby

kinem
2014-07-11, 01:24 PM
OK, thanks.

Debihuman
2014-07-11, 04:43 PM
It has immunity to acid so it shouldn't have acid resistance too. It helps if you put Special Attacks and Special Qualities in alphabetical order. Why is it immune to mind-affecting effects? It's spit attack should just be ranged attack with a 20 foot max range. It's not a magic effect, it's actual spit.

Sleep Poison Spittle (Ex): Once a round for a maximum of 5 founds a day, as a standard action, a hydroloth can spit sleep poison spittle at a foe to a maximum range of 20 feet. A target must succeed on Fortitude save (DC 15) or fall unconscious for 1d6+2 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Debby

kinem
2014-07-12, 11:46 AM
It has immunity to acid so it shouldn't have acid resistance too.

It doesn't: immune to poison and acid; cold, fire, and electricity resistance 10. I think I put in a comma instead of a semicolon somewhere else, so I fixed that.

It helps if you put Special Attacks and Special Qualities in alphabetical order.

It can.

Why is it immune to mind-affecting effects?

It's a generalization of their association with the mind-draining Styx river. I gave it modify memory a similar reason. That also helps with its covert ops.

It's spit attack should just be ranged attack with a 20 foot max range. It's not a magic effect, it's actual spit.

Sleep Poison Spittle (Ex): Once a round for a maximum of 5 founds a day, as a standard action, a hydroloth can spit sleep poison spittle at a foe to a maximum range of 20 feet. A target must succeed on Fortitude save (DC 15) or fall unconscious for 1d6+2 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Different wording, but I see no difference between that and what I wrote. I nowhere implied it is magical.

Debihuman
2014-07-12, 06:50 PM
See here:

"Touch Attacks
Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally."

Touch attacks should be magical in nature not physical which is why armor is not effective against it.

Debby

kinem
2014-07-12, 07:22 PM
Not all touch attacks are magical. e.g. throwing an acid flask (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#acid) is a ranged touch attack.

wowofifa
2014-07-12, 08:51 PM
It has immunity to acid so it shouldn't have acid resistance too. It helps if you put Special Attacks and Special Qualities in alphabetical order. Why is it immune to mind-affecting effects? It's spit attack should just be ranged attack with a 20 foot max range. It's not a magic effect, it's actual spit. Spell-Like Abilities: At will—create water, deeper darkness, invisibility (self only, unlimited duration until it attacks), water walk; 2/day—dimension door (680'), modify memory (Will neg DC 15), summon monster VI (large 8 HD water elemental only), greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 7 (as HD); save DCs are Cha-based.

Glide (ex): Using its patagia (skin flaps), the hydroloth can glide. Treat this as flight, except that it cannot gain height and must descend at least 5' for every 30' traveled.

Debihuman
2014-07-13, 02:00 AM
I suppose it could be a ranged touch attack like a naga's spit. I was thinking more along the lines of an Ankheg's spit. Technically, acid flasks are alchemical so it requires a spellcaster to make. Naga spit is ranged touch. Its spit should be in the stat block under attacks if that is the case. In any case ranged touch is BAB + Size + Dex (BAB 7 -1 size +1 Dex = 7; I'm not sure why you have it as 9).

Spit (Ex): Once a round for a maximum of 5 rounds a day, a hydroloth can spit its sleep poison spittle up to 20 feet as a standard action. This is a ranged touch attack with no range increment. Opponents hit by this attack must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 15) or fall unconscious for 1d6+2 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d8+2) or spit +7 ranged touch (see text)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d8+2) and bite +6 melee (2d6+1) or spit +7 ranged touch (see text)

Special Attacks: Pounce, rake 1d4+1, spit, spell-like abilities, summon yugoloth
Special Qualities: Amphibious, damage reduction 5/—, darkvision 60 ft. , immunity to acid and poison, resistance cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, SR 20, telepathy 100 ft., yugoloth traits

Debby

kinem
2014-07-13, 01:46 PM
I knew there was a monster with spit poison as a ranged touch attack, but I couldn't remember what it was. There are probably more in non-core books.

The attack bonus should indeed be +7; thanks.

The ankeg (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ankheg.htm)'s spit acid attack is a line. Similar to a lightning bolt: it can affect multiple targets and requires no attack roll.