PDA

View Full Version : Astral Projection for Psionics

TeslaJr
2014-07-10, 08:49 PM
I've been looking around but I can't find anything on whether or not there is a psionic version of Astral Projection, so I figured I'd come here and ask.

TeslaJr
2014-07-11, 10:46 AM
Oh, and also, does anyone know if there's a Psionic version of Gate?

Psyren
2014-07-11, 10:54 AM
1) None that I know of.
2) None that I know of.

The former is reasonable to homebrew, but for the latter, psions were always intended to be worse at summoning/calling.

Segev
2014-07-11, 11:00 AM
Depending on what you want it for, Psions actually have earlier access to astral travel. Astral Caravan is a third level Nomad power that lets them hop out to the Astral Plane bodily. Anybody who knows Astral Traveler (a generally useless level 1 psion/wilder/psychic warrior power) can hop along for a ride. If you want it for the "invulnerability" shenanigans to which the 9th level Wizard spell is put, then no, there isn't a direct comparison.

TeslaJr
2014-07-11, 12:08 PM
1) None that I know of.
2) None that I know of.

The former is reasonable to homebrew, but for the latter, psions were always intended to be worse at summoning/calling.

1) Guess I'm going to have to break out the bribes
2) I've notcied that. Isn't Astral Construct the only psionic "summoning" spell?

Depending on what you want it for, Psions actually have earlier access to astral travel. Astral Caravan is a third level Nomad power that lets them hop out to the Astral Plane bodily. Anybody who knows Astral Traveler (a generally useless level 1 psion/wilder/psychic warrior power) can hop along for a ride. If you want it for the "invulnerability" shenanigans to which the 9th level Wizard spell is put, then no, there isn't a direct comparison.

Yeah, I want it mostly for the whole unkillable aspect of it. Astral travel is fine and all, but it doesn't come up in our campaigns that much.

Psyren
2014-07-11, 12:45 PM
1) Guess I'm going to have to break out the bribes
2) I've notcied that. Isn't Astral Construct the only psionic "summoning" spell?

CPsi added a few more - elemental steward, shadow eft, larval flayers etc. They're all pretty underwhelming compared to an AC though so I'm not sure why they bothered.

Yeah, I want it mostly for the whole unkillable aspect of it. Astral travel is fine and all, but it doesn't come up in our campaigns that much.

You can mimic that level of survivability with the Save Game Trick (see the psionic tricks handbook in my extended sig.)

TeslaJr
2014-07-11, 01:50 PM
You can mimic that level of survivability with the Save Game Trick (see the psionic tricks handbook in my extended sig.)

I've looked at that before, but I think I'd have a better chance of convincing my DM to allow a psionic version of Astral Projection than something as complex as that trick.

Segev
2014-07-11, 02:18 PM
There IS Astral Seed, but that comes with a level-loss and some inconvenience when you die.

Necroticplague
2014-07-11, 03:21 PM
There IS Astral Seed, but that comes with a level-loss and some inconvenience when you die.

However, it can also be used for permenent upgrades. Since it creates "a living, breathing body that is an exact duplicate of your body at the time you manifested astral seed.", then something that temporarily altered your body can now become permanent. A classic is Fusion->Astral Seed to act as a gestalt without being in an actual gestalt campaign (and depending on cheese level, repeating).

TeslaJr
2014-07-11, 08:23 PM
However, it can also be used for permenent upgrades. Since it creates "a living, breathing body that is an exact duplicate of your body at the time you manifested astral seed.", then something that temporarily altered your body can now become permanent. A classic is Fusion->Astral Seed to act as a gestalt without being in an actual gestalt campaign (and depending on cheese level, repeating).

I've looked at that before and it's freaking sweet. That plus a Magic Jar Thought Bottle to take care of the level loss.

Rubik
2014-07-11, 08:47 PM
If you don't mind being incorporeal (and why would you?), you could always look at the ghost savage progression. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a)

Note that you don't get HD, and so each level gives you a +1 level adjustment. Also note that if you buy off a level immediately after taking it, your LA is still 0, and you can then gain the next level before also buying it off, and so on.

Rejuvenation + malevolence = win.