PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Need character ideas

Dalasio
2014-07-10, 08:58 PM
Alright so, new campaign, level one. The only book that is allowed for feats is PHB I and II. Races and classes can come from any other book. No templates are allowed, nor flaws. I really don't want a melee character. So, playground, I know that you have some ideas. ;)

Vorandril
2014-07-10, 09:01 PM
Level 1 Cleric. Believes he's a God that has been bound to a mortal body.

Probably roll human.

Specialize in spells that don't do direct damage.
Put lots of points into Diplomacy and Bluff and Intimidate.
Derail the entire campaign by attempting to ascend to godhood "again".

zyggythorn
2014-07-10, 09:07 PM
Gnome divine bard. Patron deity? Olladra.

Olladra's Blessing are upon us! (roll sleight of hand)

Ellowryn
2014-07-10, 10:00 PM
Only PhB I & II for feats? That hurts alot. In that case go Artificer, well cause its Artificer and it has its own list of feats that it specifically pulls from that is NOT from the PhB books :smallbiggrin:. Be the party magic item shop and in combat throw wands of whatever spell you need around in combat.

Oddman80
2014-07-11, 12:38 AM
What about a variant Druid. You didn't say it was a high-op game, and a lot of people thing the core druid is too O.P.

Something like the Druidic Avenger (UA) that trades the Druid Animal companion for Barbarian class features (fast movement, rage)?

Or what about the Shapeshift Druid (PHB2)?

sideswipe
2014-07-11, 05:09 AM
lvl 1 kobold paladin?

paperarmor
2014-07-11, 12:30 PM
I like Martial Adept Archers myself. Take an Elf Warblade 10/ Eternal Blade 10 focus on tiger claw and Diamond mind. Or do the same thing but as a human with Hand Crossbow Focus or Rapid Reload (Hand Crossbow) and EWP Great Crossbow (GC) and an Aptitude GC. Could also TWF with Hand Crossbows and some other tricks if you can find a way to reload them both.

Bloodgruve
2014-07-11, 03:25 PM
You could do a Warlock to Hellfire Warlock. Stats and Feats are pretty open. Take a level of Binder for stat regen for Hellfire. Ranged touch attacks and some nifty invocations. You could be a blaster, flying around all day long while your undead minions keep the targets away from you. You can do this with a Chaotic alignment.. I'm loving my warlock (Clawlock) currently. Point Blank n Precise Shot could be useful, touch attacks are quite easy to hit but blasting past your fighter into melee can put some heavy penalties on. Great class that may not lose much from having such limited feat options.

Are ACF's allowed? If so Dragon Shaman with Shamanistic Invocation could be fun too. Lose an aura to gain an Invocation. However you lose out on breath weapon feats :/

A couple to look at.

GL
Blood~

Socratov
2014-07-11, 03:52 PM
Well, I have never seen or heard of that restriction. I agree with the 'Play a druid" suggestion. Can't really go terribly wrong there.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-11, 06:44 PM
Any Tier 1 class is still going to be amazing with just core and PH2 feats. Keep in mind that Arcane Thesis is in PH2. The feat limitation hurts non-Tier 1 classes more than it hurts the Tier 1's. A Sorcerer can't get Ancestral Relic for a custom Runestaff, Barbarians can't get Extra Rage, skillful characters can't use Able Learner, and none of the class hybrid feats in CV/CS are available, for example. Granted you can't get DMM: Persistent or Greenbound Summoning, but Tier 1 classes function just fine without those things, whereas a lack of much of the above will completely stifle many less powerful character ideas.

I'd probably make a Cloistered Cleric 5/ Morninglord 1/ Radiant Servant 5/ Morninglord 9. Get the Sun and Healing domains plus the free Knowledge domain. Use the PH2 spontaneous domain casting ACF for Healing, which makes every one of those spontaneously cast spells count as Healing domain spells and benefit from the Radiant Servant's free empower, otherwise only domain-slot spells from the Healing domain will benefit from this. You'll need Improved Turning and Extra Turning, and I'd probably get some item creation feats like Craft Rod or Craft Wondrous or even Craft Magic Arms/Armor depending on which of those other party members get, if any. Try to get as many items to buff your effective level of Turn Undead as possible (Phylactery of Undead Turning, Ephod of Authority, Scepter of the Netherworld, and especially a Rod of Defiance). Cast (Lesser Rod of Extended) (Greater) Luminous Armor every day as soon as it's practical, and get a Rod of Bodily Restoration to fix the Str damage sacrifice that occurs when it ends.

lvl 1 kobold paladin?

With max ranks in and Skill Focus for Knowledge: the Planes!

sideswipe
2014-07-12, 06:45 AM
With max ranks in and Skill Focus for Knowledge: the Planes!

you read my mind ;)