PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Naming a Bebilith

PraxisVetli
2014-07-10, 09:20 PM
So, I have a Bebilith-type thing hunting my party at the moment, though they are yet unaware of it. My problem with it is, I'm unsure what to name it.
I've currently taken to calling it "The Skitter," but it seems.. lacking. It's creepy, but not scary enough.
Wondering if the playground can help me name my beastie!

Jack_Simth
2014-07-10, 09:38 PM
So, I have a Bebilith-type thing hunting my party at the moment, though they are yet unaware of it. My problem with it is, I'm unsure what to name it.
I've currently taken to calling it "The Skitter," but it seems.. lacking. It's creepy, but not scary enough.
Wondering if the playground can help me name my beastie!
Well, Bebilith's don't speak. It's telepathic (100 feet), so can 'talk' to anything that has a language, but... well, that's a translation. The real thing?

As a Demon, the Bebilith is going to be named in it's native tongue, Abyssal. Well, probably. Demons are crazy, after all. I suppose it could be named in Draconic or even Celestial (three languages all Demons know, unless otherwise noted... and a Bebilith is otherwise noted). So if you wanted to be mean, you come up with a listing of random syllables. If anyone in the party knows Celestial (or makes a good Decipher Script roll, or casts Comprehend Languages or Tongues) can get the translation - which should probably be something like "Happy Fluffy Hug Bunny". Of course, the Bebilith doesn't know this, as it doesn't speak Celestial. It thinks it means "The Terror that Destroys all Worlds".

PraxisVetli
2014-07-10, 09:43 PM
Well, Bebilith's don't speak. It's telepathic (100 feet), so can 'talk' to anything that has a language, but... well, that's a translation. The real thing?

As a Demon, the Bebilith is going to be named in it's native tongue, Abyssal. Well, probably. Demons are crazy, after all. I suppose it could be named in Draconic or even Celestial (three languages all Demons know, unless otherwise noted... and a Bebilith is otherwise noted). So if you wanted to be mean, you come up with a listing of random syllables. If anyone in the party knows Celestial (or makes a good Decipher Script roll, or casts Comprehend Languages or Tongues) can get the translation - which should probably be something like "Happy Fluffy Hug Bunny". Of course, the Bebilith doesn't know this, as it doesn't speak Celestial. It thinks it means "The Terror that Destroys all Worlds".

The bebilith isn't entirely self-aware. I mean, it is, but think of it as like a dog intelligence. Which is essentially what it is, the BBEG's hunting dog/bounty hunter type deal.
It's name doesn't have to be in any particular language. I'm typing a thing for the players to read on our Fb page, a 'cutscene' so to speak. And the BBEG will refer to it by the name they'd given it.

Jack_Simth
2014-07-10, 09:55 PM
The bebilith isn't entirely self-aware. I mean, it is, but think of it as like a dog intelligence. Which is essentially what it is, the BBEG's hunting dog/bounty hunter type deal.
It's name doesn't have to be in any particular language. I'm typing a thing for the players to read on our Fb page, a 'cutscene' so to speak. And the BBEG will refer to it by the name they'd given it.
Nitpick: The standard Bebilith has an Int of 11 and a Charisma of 13, so they're normally pretty self-aware.

Regardless, with that information, it becomes a question of what name the BBEG would use, which depends on the BBEG and it's history/relationship with this particular critter, and when it was so named. I may have a sense of the absurd, but when I was a very young child, I named a solid black dog "Butterfly". Not a speck of colour on her. Names don't have to be appropriate. They don't even have to make sense. They usually aren't, and usually don't. Depending on the tone of your game, and the personality of the BBEG, a nice peaceful sounding name might be useful, or maybe a literary reference. For instance, if you intercept a message from a diplomatic pouch that says they're sending Charlotte out to help with negotiations with the King, you're not going to worry too much... at least, not until the eight-legged monster grabs the king out of his bedroom at night and dangles him over a high tower.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-10, 10:09 PM
It's the servant of an Atropal (the Epic one, not the scion).
Does that help?

Renen
2014-07-10, 10:19 PM
Name him giggles

PraxisVetli
2014-07-10, 10:25 PM
Name him giggles

um.
no. :roy:

Jeff the Green
2014-07-10, 10:28 PM
In general, for species that have telepathy but no ability to speak, I go with names that are a welter of sensations rather than a string of words. The spellweaver I'm playing now is known as <The sensation of dancing to "three blind mice" played backwards with a stubbed toe while sniffing acetone and peonies>.

VoxRationis
2014-07-10, 10:31 PM
"The Nameless Terror?"
"Hunter in the Shadows?"
"The Primordial Fear?"

PraxisVetli
2014-07-10, 10:40 PM
"The Nameless Terror?"
"Hunter in the Shadows?"
"The Primordial Fear?"

Primordial Fear is pretty cool.

BloodyMartian
2014-07-10, 11:56 PM
Just shove the name of a place with a title/job
The Stygian Hunter/Protector/Hound/Watcher/Prowler/Champion/Soda Jerk/Door Greeter