PDA

View Full Version : Best PrCs for "Pure" Gestalt Wizard?

FreakyCheeseMan
2014-07-10, 09:27 PM
So, I'm building a gestalt wizard because I'm bored. I want to make him as powerful as I can as a wizard - not looking for something that has good synergy, or another class that complents wizard well, or anything. So, one of my ideas is to take partial casting or non-casting PrCs opposite levels of pure wizard, so you get the PrC benefits on top of full casting.

So... what are the best wizard PrCs, if you don't have to worry about lost casting levels? Are there any that would be really great, except they lose five casting levels and are thus worthless?

avr
2014-07-10, 09:37 PM
Sharn Skymage (from Sharn: City of Towers) would be great for a polymorphing wizard in this scenario.

FreakyCheeseMan
2014-07-10, 09:44 PM
Sharn Skymage (from Sharn: City of Towers) would be great for a polymorphing wizard in this scenario.

Huh, that's kind of an interesting one. Very... themed, but yeah, so long as you restricted yourself to forms with a fly speed, that could be excellent.

Ellowryn
2014-07-10, 10:02 PM
Beyond the normal PrC that make wizards even better gods than they already are? Mindbender and Rainbow Servant come to mind....

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-10, 10:23 PM
Master of the Unseen Hand, was it? That telekinesis one from Complete Warrior, I think. Man, I've been away from D&D for too long.

As I recall, several of the Dragon Compendium caster-ish classes had cool spins on them, but almost all were lacking caster-level progressions.

The um. I like Mindspy, but you'd probably need a template or something to qualify.

What else...well, there were several cool PrCs in Savage Species, but most had non-wizardy themes to them.

Oh, well Urban Savant and Ardent Dilettante. Those I just mention because they are on my list of cool PrCs that are hard to cram into builds.

FreakyCheeseMan
2014-07-11, 01:02 PM
Huh. Lots of these are cool, but none of them seem as rawly powerful as the complete or near-complete progression stuff like Incantrix or IoSV. (Which is surprising, given the stipulation that casting levels don't matter for this.)

Zanos
2014-07-11, 02:01 PM
Master Transmogrifist.

Darkweave31
2014-07-11, 02:40 PM
I'd have to say Wizard/Incantatrix on one side and then artificer or factotum on the other.

You are an absolute master of spellcasting and you can make and manipulate any magic item (if artificer) or just be generally intelligent and skillful (if factotum)

Troacctid
2014-07-11, 05:18 PM
Void Disciple. Look at those sweet abilities. No-save scrying! +20 on any attack or skill/ability check! Other stuff! You lose 5 caster levels, so it's not normally worth it, but it could be great here.

Wild Soul is solid too. Better summons, free spell focus for illusions and enchantments, and you can spontaneously cast some pretty great spells. And no feat tax, unlike other casting PrCs. It's pretty close to being worth it even with losing one caster level, but with full casting, it's awesome.

Master Transmogrifist is a nice one too. Immediate action polymorph is bonkers, and combining forms can be absurd.