PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Explanation of Pathfinder Society

Silva Stormrage
2014-07-10, 10:09 PM
So could someone explain what Pathfinder Society is to me? For some reason I can't really get a grasp of what it is other some sort of online campaign with Pathfinder rules.

Thanks for your help.

Sayt
2014-07-10, 10:44 PM
Pathfinder Society is Paizo's organised play for Pathfinder. Play is generally in 'meatspace', rather than online, and my understanding is that it's somewhat like Friday Night Magic for MTG: Officially sanctioned play, which is hosted periodically at a store or convention. More info can be found here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about).

TheMonocleRogue
2014-07-10, 10:46 PM
Pathfinder Society is essentially a roaming campaign setting set up by Pazio. In other words you can build your character and show up to a pathfinder society meeting and play with new players and DMs at a local game store.

The setting is you are a member of the pathfinder society in the city of Absalom. The pathfinder society is pretty much a guild adventurers who explore and record their findings to a venture-captain. These findings, if deemed worthy, are published in a book known as The Pathfinder Chronicles.

Psyren
2014-07-11, 01:34 AM
It's the version you play at conventions and stuff so people aren't dealing with a dozen houserules. It's like WotC's Living Greyhawk/Living Forgotten Realms events.

avr
2014-07-11, 03:08 AM
Also of note; they try to break the games down to episodes which can be completed in a single session. There is no way of affecting the larger world due to the need to maintain the world as something all players everywhere can share.

The max level is I think 12, and item creation feats are on the ban list. Non-standard races can be taken only if you get certain 'boons'.

TiaC
2014-07-11, 03:21 AM
It's the version you play at conventions and stuff so people aren't dealing with a dozen houserules.

It does come with its own set of houserules though.

Firest Kathon
2014-07-11, 07:51 AM
A good introduction to PFS is the Guide to Pathfinder Organized Play (http://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4), which is available for free on the Paizo homepage.

Psyren
2014-07-11, 07:58 AM
It does come with its own set of houserules though.

No, those are just rules, because they apply to every group rather than varying by table.