PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to improve vampire boss

primus380
2014-07-10, 11:20 PM
Ok so i recently built this new boss for a party of new characters (level 12s) who is this vampire duskblade, one of the players has a vampire killing kit though. My question is how would i go about increasing the boss's difficulty so it doesn't get one shot by the player with the vampire killing kit. The boss is meant to only be fought once so i don't care if the kill it, i just want the party to have a bit of a challenge.

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-11, 12:14 AM
First off, what exactly is in this Vampire Killing kit? And off the top of my head, a few ways to help would be to:
- give it Improved Turning Resistance feats
- if you don't mind upping the CR a little, add in Unholy Toughness which gives the charisma mod to HP for every HD
- Don't let the PC's know they're fighting a vampire. Keep it hidden as long as possible.
- throw a non-combat rogue into the works before the battle who will attempt to steal any and all gear, but specifically key elements of the Vampire Killing Kit

Bullet06320
2014-07-11, 01:55 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a

here you go, this mite help

HammeredWharf
2014-07-11, 01:58 AM
If the vampire slaying kit is just some holy symbols, mirrors and other things like that, keep in mind that keeping a vampire at bay is a standard action. The vampire can still attack them with ranged attacks and spells.

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-11, 03:10 AM
keeping a vampire at bay is a standard action. The vampire can still attack them with ranged attacks and spells.

Good point. Along this vein, remember. Your vampire is a sentient creature, for the most part. If he knows a bunch of PC's are invading his castle, why would he attack them directly from the outset. I know the purpose of d&d isn't for the DM to kill the players, but if you want him to last a bit longer, take the players on a wild goose chase. Throw a ray of enfeeblement at them and run. Rinse and repeat. Wear them down. He has a brain. Dont play him like an animal, play him like a person. A lot of players and DM's forget, not every battle has to be head on.

primus380
2014-07-11, 03:58 AM
Good point. Along this vein, remember. Your vampire is a sentient creature, for the most part. If he knows a bunch of PC's are invading his castle, why would he attack them directly from the outset. I know the purpose of d&d isn't for the DM to kill the players, but if you want him to last a bit longer, take the players on a wild goose chase. Throw a ray of enfeeblement at them and run. Rinse and repeat. Wear them down. He has a brain. Dont play him like an animal, play him like a person. A lot of players and DM's forget, not every battle has to be head on.

Thank you, that helps considering the boss fight takes place in a mansion

Jeff the Green
2014-07-11, 04:04 AM
What classes does the vampire have?

Ideally he'd have some casting. His HP is going to be lousy, but he should have plenty of defenses up: mage armor, mirror image, and the various spells to help him resist turning and positive energy.

Adhar
2014-07-11, 04:29 AM
Kind of a low road thing but right before the boss fight you could put in a treasure box with a cursed ring that appears to be a ring of pro +5 but is a slave ring that wont show the curse till activated by the vampire. That'll turn a PC against the party which is actually fun to watch.

Or add a twist that this vampire is so old most of the kit or all of it is just of no use. That's been done to me before.