PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick in your games

mr_odd
2014-07-11, 12:20 AM
After beginning to read the comic, I decided to place the Order of the Stick in my 3.5 campaign as another adventuring party. Who else has done this? What other characters/people have you put in your games?

ElenionAncalima
2014-07-11, 08:07 AM
I can't say I have gone out of the way to include things from the Order of the Stick, but I did have a very genre savvy bard at the beginning of my current campaign.

I do think certain ideas from the series have influenced some of my characterization decisions. For instance, after reading Start of Darkness I don't find myself content just using goblins and orcs as evil cannon fodder. I have no probem making them evil, even irredeemable so, but I feel like I need to include motives beyond, "thats just what they do, because the are evil".

illyahr
2014-07-11, 11:59 AM
I actually build NPC's based off of TV shows, movies, comics, and video games all the time. I try to pick characters that aren't too main-stream (such as Captain America or something like that) and give out bonus XP if one of the players catches the reference. I once made a L/N Fighter2/Ranger8 who specialized in repeating crossbows and named him Justice Fear. It only took two encounters before someone caught the reference. :smalltongue:

Kid Jake
2014-07-11, 01:36 PM
In my first D&D campaign I remember including a high level (male) Barbarian/Bard named Beth that stumbled from tavern to tavern getting into fights over his name and searching for his father so that he could kill the S.O.B.

elliott20
2014-07-11, 02:04 PM
I actually think it's a pretty bad idea. the OOTS characters are not very well optimized and their strength comes from their narrative circumstance, which by putting them into your game, you have effectively removed. Without that, their novelty will wear off very quickly and then they're just like everybody else.

Jay R
2014-07-11, 02:53 PM
Take your inspirations from anywhere you like, but use them to enhance the game, not to slavishly copy the source.

illyahr
2014-07-14, 12:18 PM
In my first D&D campaign I remember including a high level (male) Barbarian/Bard named Beth that stumbled from tavern to tavern getting into fights over his name and searching for his father so that he could kill the S.O.B.

Nice Johnny Cash reference lol

GrayGriffin
2014-07-15, 02:12 AM
I have several Pokemon Tabletop characters who are expies of fictional characters. Although I don't think it's that obvious for most of them.