PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Metapower and Linked Power

gorilla-turtle
2014-07-11, 01:08 AM
It took three tries, and I eventually received an answer to the question I posed to the Simple Q&A Thread.

Q408

If a power was Metapowered and conditioned to Linked Power, would the price reduction from Metapower simply be part of the cost of the base power? And if so, and if both powers of the Linked Power were Metapowered to Linked Power, would it reduce the overall price of manifesting both powers by 4?

For example, manifesting Energy Stun costs 3 points, and Energy Burst 5. Using Linked Power, one would spend a psionic focus to manifest both at the same time for a total of 8 points. If both were Metapowered to Linked Power, would it then cost [3-2=1]+[5-2=3]=4 points?

Ironically, each of the three times I posted, someone would post next and ignore my slot. Coincidentally, since reading on this subect, I can tell that only one power is actually being modified by linked power, and thus is the only one to be capable of being modified by Metapower. And likewise, I have also since learned that the benefit to Linked Power is that you allow the second chosen power to be manifested next turn, but without needing to spend actions to do so. But that is neither here nor there.

What is, however, is taking my disagreement of the answer I did eventually receive to the general view of the forum for a second opinion, merely to completely settle a bet with an acquaintance.

A408/413/419: No. Metapower reduces only the cost to modify the base power, not the normal base cost.

The cost of modifying your chosen power with metapsionic feats is reduced by 2 power points (to a minimum extra cost of 0 power points).

But would that second power, given the base cost of the second power becomes the price of the Linked Power Feat when used with it to modify a first power, not be eligible for Meta Power when used with Linked Power? This seems like a legitimate use of the feats, even if I can not tell exactly where it makes me feel unease.

Segev
2014-07-11, 01:15 AM
The power that goes off this round is the one to which Linked Power is being applied. The added cost in pp of Linked Power is the cost of the power to be manifested "for free" next round. Metapower reduces the cost of metapsionic feats applied to the base power.

So if you manifest Vigor-Linked Share Pain, Share Pain goes off this round for 3 pp and Vigor goes off next round for (say) 3 pp (for +15 hp). This makes it a total of a 6-pp metapsionic-modified power this round. If you have metapower, it has to be keyed to Share Pain to work, here, and it reduces the cost of Vigor-linked Share Pain to 4pp. This is because Vigor is never actually paid for, directly. Instead, it's pp cost becomes the additional cost of applying Linked Power to Share Pain. As such, that "additional cost" due to Linked Power can be reduced by metapower applied to Share Pain.