PDA

View Full Version : eberron campaign, character info..

daggaz
2007-02-28, 10:00 AM
I'm probably going to join a campaign pretty soon, based in Eberron with a warforged fighter5/juggernaught1 and a human artificer6.

Considering I am totally new to this world, I was wondering what kind of cool classes/races/whatevers there are available, especially the kind that would go well with the aforementioned group. Just looking for general ideas and the such, so I dont have to waste ten hours of this guy's time reading his books.

I'm thinking so far to go for a solid cleric build, as I really like the flavor, as well as the mechanical abilities on the combat field. But it could be cool to try something fresh, especially if there are some tasty surprises waiting...

The DM has allowed pretty much all official 3.5 material, but has mentioned he wont allow cheese builds (especially ones requiring ubercheesy item/ability/spell combinations).. which is fine by me.

Anyhow, let loose, and thanks for the input guys as always.

marjan
2007-02-28, 10:16 AM
If you like cleric you can go for Exorcist of Silver Flame. Though if you want to be more of warrior type Cleric1/Paladin4/Exprcist of Silver Flame X though I think cleric without levels of paladin would be better. Also Shifter Druid is nice choice too and then maybe go for Weretouched Master. Since Weretouched Master doesn't advance spellcasting maybe it would be better to use ranger as base class. If you follow Sovereign Host then Sovereign Speaker is good PrC. As for feats only thing that right now comes to my mind is Augment Healing if you want to be healer. Also it is better to be cleric of the whole Soverign Host then of single deity especially for mechanics. Intutitve strike is also good feat for cleric and maybe Divine Reach (not the best feat you can get but you don't have to move every time someone needs a healing).

daggaz
2007-02-28, 10:25 AM
As far as healing, the main tank is warforged, so the artificer heals him. And then he also makes CLW wands himself, to take care of his own aches and pains (apparently he's a good player who manages to stay out of trouble most of the time).

So mostly I will be leaning on the kick-ass side of things, and the fact that I can bring full divine spellcasting into the mix (not just the healing mind you), easing things up for the artificer some I should hope.

marjan
2007-02-28, 10:42 AM
Well if you have int 13 you can get Improved Disarm (it will be quite nice with Righteous Might) and depending on your weapon you can take Improved Trip (if the weapon allows trip attacks). Use buckler instead of heavy shield so you don't have to take it out/put it away when you switch between castin and melee. Steady Concentration is good feat for melee clerics, Power attack if you use THW. As for metamagic feats: Quicken Spell, Extend Spell and Split Ray (if you like Enervation) are the best I can think of. Considering races Humans are the best and maybe dwarves. If you really want to be devastating you might consider Goliaths (if your DM allows LA buyoff).
Also Eyes in the Back of the Head might be usefull feat if you fight lots of enemies and like to rush into melee.
That's all I can think of right now.

daggaz
2007-02-28, 10:47 AM
Cool... but mechanics wise is not the most important im asking here... really mostly wondering about things with a fluff aspect (ok and a bit of mechanics)... just curious what kind of really cool possibilities there are in this setting mostly, as I dont have the books.

marjan
2007-02-28, 11:23 AM
Some of the options for background you have in Players Guide to Eberron.

For the fluff aspect you may taking True Believer feat (after all who will believe in his god more then his cleric - note that gods in Eberron are not even proven to exist so this feat will probably make you somewhat too zealous). If you worship Silver Flame and hate undead (good clerics usualy do) you might consider Deadgrim from Magic of Eberron. Or you could play Warforged Cleric of the Lord of Blades (you should fit OK with the current party). Or connect your character to one of the houses take Favoured in the House and Dragonmark feats (Dragonmarks could let you be some part of the Prophecy which should be interesting). Otherwise you can play usual options.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Tellah
2007-02-28, 11:42 AM
I'm a bit partial to the Kalashtar, an Eberron race that's geared toward creating awesome Psions. They've got a neat little backstory dealing with the plane of dreams, and the new Secrets of Sarlona book will give your DM a lot of material to work your character's background into the main thrust of the story. If you've already got an artificer playing the Batman role and a Warforged running melee damage, you might have fun and complement the team well by making a mind-control Psion.

Changelings are another unique race in Eberron, and they make particularly fun Beguilers. Here again I'm imposing my bias toward mind-control, though.

Ask your DM what aspect of Eberron interests him most. Eberron campaigns are usually pulp action, gritty intrigue, or a combination of the two. If your DM is going to play up the intrigue angle, consider rogue, beguiler or urban ranger with an eye toward taking the Master Inquisitive PrC. If he's going to play up the magic/technology fusion, a gnome conjurer can make a mighty fine airship captain.

Bryn
2007-02-28, 11:43 AM
Well, if I understand correctly you want some information on the stuff that appears specifically in Eberron. Hopefully this is new to you and you haven't already read the ECS, sorry if I'm mistaken. So...

You could be a member of a Dragonmarked House. These are large families who manifest Dragonmarks, basically a mark that appears on you (taking up a feat slot) and grants certain spell-like abilities. The list of what all these are is in the ECS, and the different Dragonmarks only appear on certain races. A half-elf of House Lyrander can enter the Windwright Captain PrC from Explorer's Guide to Eberron, which gets them an airship, but you'd need a level of an arcane class or Artificer to get in IIRC. A Dragonmarked House isn't, perhaps, the best option for a Cleric though.

Race-wise, there are Shifters, Kalashtar and Changelings (since you apparently don't want to be a Warforged): shifters are descended from lycanthropes and can 'shift' to get certain bonuses, etc. Kalashtar are mainly psionicists and descended from people who rebel Quori spirits possessed (willingly) - the spirits are now spread thin over the Kalashtar race, and they fight the other Quori (the Inspired) on the continent of Sarlona. Changelings are descended from doppelgangers, and they can change their characteristics (Disguise Self at-will SLA full-round-action Su not illusory that cannot affect clothes).

Religion-wise, the Silver Flame is zealous in its pursuit of the destruction of evil. The Sovereign Host is the main Good pantheon, there are gods of most things. The Dark Six are the evil equivalent, although one of them is Neutral. Aerenal elves worship their Deathless ancestors. The other stuff is mainly Evil cults, except the Kalashtar have the Path of Light.

Let me see, what else... There are various organisations in Eberron you could associate yourself with, as well as the Dragonmarked Houses, probably too many to list here.

If you're from Khorvaire (which most people will be), you should probably work out what effect the Last War had on your character. It began over a dispute over who should gain the throne, became pretty much a free-for-all, and ended shortly after the destruction of Cyre to create the Mournland. Your character might have fought in it, or they might have had a friend who died in it.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now, you could look through the Life in the World chapter to see if any specific countries appeal to you as a place of origin...

Edit: semi-simued. Drat.

Beleriphon
2007-02-28, 12:28 PM
Race-wise, there are Shifters, Kalashtar and Changelings (since you apparently don't want to be a Warforged): shifters are descended from lycanthropes and can 'shift' to get certain bonuses, etc. Kalashtar are mainly psionicists and descended from people who rebel Quori spirits possessed (willingly) - the spirits are now spread thin over the Kalashtar race, and they fight the other Quori (the Inspired) on the continent of Sarlona. Changelings are descended from doppelgangers, and they can change their characteristics (Disguise Self at-will SLA).

I'm going to correct this right now. Changelings do not have Disguise Self at will, they have a +10 to Disguise checks that is limited to same stuff as Disguise Self. Its a nice bonus, but keep in mind that it still has the same limits as the Disguise skill, so turning into anything other than a changeling automatically incurs a -2 penalty.

Bryn
2007-02-28, 12:55 PM
*Re-reads ability*
Sorry, my mistake. You're right.

It's effectively the same though, except for being physical and not an illusion, and being a full-round action.

In any case, corrected.