PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Some alternate Dinosaur designs...

Stellar_Magic
2014-07-11, 02:53 PM
I haven't always been happy with how Paizo stated out Dinosaurs in Pathfinder, so I've occasionally had a go at homebrew versions of the animals... along with some other species of Dinosaurs that you might find useful for any sort of campaign. So post your dinosaur builds, and comments...

This is my version of Deinonychus... I changed its attacks quite a bit and drastically lowered it's hit-points, though its damage output is such that I didn't feel the need to lower it's CR. Essentially, this version makes it so that the talon attacks with the sickle claw only occur on a charge or if the Deinonychus is grappling the target... as being able to always use those claws struck me as silly. The lower hp is because I'v adjusted the stats to be more in line with it being a bird-like animal rather than a monster.

Average damage on a charge, assuming all attacks hit along with red is 34 hp, which is enormous, allowing this animal to take down creatures much larger then itself.

Standing roughly as tall as a man, this toothy bird-like dinosaur has an arsenal of teeth, claws, and talons that it can make use of in an instant.

Deinonychus CR 3
XP 800
N Medium animal
Init +1; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +7

AC 13, touch 11, flat-footed 12; (+2 Natural)
HP 2d8-2 (7 hp)
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1

Speed 50 ft.
Melee bite +3 (1d6+2), 2 claws +3 (1d6+2 plus attach)
Special Attacks pounce, rake (2 talons +3, 1d6+2), rend (2 claws, 1d6+3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

Str 14, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 15
Base Atk +1; CMB +2; CMD 13
Feats Alertness, Great Fortitude
Skills Perception +7, Survival +5

Attach (Ex)
A Deinonychus that hits with one of its foreclaw attacks may attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Pounce (Ex)
A Deinonychus that makes a charge, can make a full attack (including rake attacks).
Rake (Ex)
A Deinonychus that is grappling it's prey gains 2 talon attacks, each of which deal 1d6 damage plus the Deinonychus's strength modifier.
Rend (Ex)
A Deinonychus that hits with two of it's claw attacks in one round can rend the target, dealing an additional 1d6+3 damage.

_________
Ecology

Environment any
Organization solitary, pair, or pack (3-12)
Treasure incidental

Another of the more interesting, at least in my view, dinosaurs to throw at a party is this thing... Eotyrannus lengi. It's an early tyrannosaur about the size of Deinonychus... but more heavily built. I use them in campaigns with large prehistoric populations where they essentially act like roving packs of wolves. I tend to give each family of dinosaurs a... family trait you might call it, and for Tyrannosaurs... it's a devastating bite combined with bleeding damage.

A medium sized scaled dinosaur with a line of quill-like feathers running down it's spine, it's carnivorous stench makes your stomach queasy as it stalks toward you.

Eotyrannus CR 2
XP 600
N Medium animal
Init +1; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +4

AC 14, touch 10, flat-footed 14; (+4 Natural)
HP 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1

Speed 40 ft.
Melee bite +4 (1d8+4 plus bleed and grab), 2 foreclaws -1 (1d4+1)
Special Attacks bleed (1d4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

Str 15, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 7, Cha 8
Base Atk +2; CMB +5; CMD 15
Feats Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Toughness
Skills Perception +4

Bleed (Ex)
An Eotyrannus's bite causes wounds that continue to bleed, dealing 1d4 damage per round.
Powerful Bite (Ex)
An Eotyrannus applies twice its strength modifier to bite damage.
Powerful Build (Ex)
The physical stature of Eotyrannus lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an Eotyrannus is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as CMB and CMD), the Eotyrannus is treated as being one size category larger.
_________
Ecology

Environment any
Organization solitary, pair, or pack (3-12)
Treasure incidental