PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Transformer-like constructs...

Dr_S
2014-07-11, 03:03 PM
Mostly as an exercise in curiosity, but I was interested in whether or not creating a race that functions similar to the transformers would be possible. I've been watching Transformers: Prime a lot recently, so we'll use that version of the transformers when there are inconsistencies.

No RP limit, we're going for accuracy first, as I said it's mostly about satiating my curiosity.

It seems that they are a lot like warforged from 3.5 in many ways, they have a blood like substance for example which can be poisoned, their armor is a part of them, they can wield weapons, but more often than not their weapons are built into their arms. Some of their parts are like organs, while others like many of their external components are fully interchangeable.

Some fluffy Bits:
They do come in different sizes, but most are Huge if I recall how the size scales correctly
It seems stat modifiers may change between bots/factions for example, the Decepticons despite their name seem to lack the charisma for a decent bluff check, while the Autobots are pretty charismatic, but tend to rely on Optimus' Wisdom a bit too much and don't always think for themselves (or make the best decisions when they do)

Anyway I'll let this stew for a bit before I start trying to weigh in.

Thurbane
2014-07-11, 09:56 PM
I don't know of a race exactly, but there is Gazebo Jones (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9823824&postcount=132), the shapechanging construct.

JusticeZero
2014-07-11, 09:58 PM
I think someone made a comment once about "Warforged Urban druids", at least in 3e.

Red Fel
2014-07-12, 12:04 AM
Well, fortunately, there are guidelines for creating new races (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races). So let's see what we can do here.

First, because they have certain structures similar to organic lifeforms (such as blood-like internal fluids and the ability to be poisoned), let's call them Half-Constructs (7 RP) instead of Constructs (20 RP). That means they get a bonus to (but are not immune to) disease, mind-effects, poison, exhaustion and fatigue; they cannot be resurrected, and don't require food, drink, air or sleep. That also means the Half-part has to be stacked onto something; let's use Monstrous Humanoid (3 RP), because they're not perfectly human, and for Darkvision.

Sounds about right so far.

Next is Size. Well, largest we can get with a playable race without things going utterly mental is Large, so we'll go with that (7 RP). We'll give them normal speed (0 RP), because they're generally not slow.

Since they tend to be more physical than mental, let's make them Specialized (1 RP). They get +2 to two physical ability scores, and -2 to one mental one; let's say +2 Str and Con, since they're physically tankish (this is on top of the stat bonuses for size), and -2 to Cha, since they're robots and all. (I suppose you could differ the mental stat between factions.) And let's add standard language (0 RP).

Now, for the ability that gives Transformers their name. It's in many ways a specialized Shapechange, in that it only grants access to one form, chosen at character generation. I would compare it to the Change Shape, Lesser (3 RP) ability. The reason that I would go with the Lesser version is that a vehicle would not necessarily have the same Dex score, as, say, a creature with hands. However, it should be noted that this is not, traditionally, a Construct ability; it can, however, apply to Monstrous Humanoids (and these creatures technically count, due to being Half-Construct, Half-Monstrous Humanoid). However, traditionally, the Change Shape ability (and the Polymorph subschool abilities from which it draws) cannot be used to transform into constructs or inanimate objects. So this is highly irregular, and might require you to increase the RP value based on that.

And that's the basics. 7 RP from Half-Construct, 3 RP from Monstrous Humanoid, 7 RP from Large, 1 RP from Specialized, 3 RP from Lesser Change Shape, for a total of 21 RP. Note that, all things considered, it's not that great a race choice - you could get a lot more power and diversity for less RP, better invested. But that covers your basics.

Dr_S
2014-07-12, 03:14 AM
I like what you've got so far, I guess there aren't rules in Pathfinder for making their parts/armor/weapons interchangeable?

I guess I might be better off taking the warforged and "pathfinderizing" them and then grant them the ability to at will transform into a predetermined object (spell like ability 1/per day to change which form, since they can scan and replace their form with a different one, but rarely do)

Dr_S
2014-07-12, 03:22 AM
Note that, all things considered, it's not that great a race choice - you could get a lot more power and diversity for less RP, better invested. But that covers your basics.

I just realized that their religion and the mysticism aspects of the show that they keep trying to jam into a show about super fighting robots were actually pretty cool in their own right, and I was considering building a campaign setting in which the All-Spark and Primus were the basis for a religion, and just thought it'd be cool to have actual transformers pop up from time as a hint to where I got the idea, or something like that.