PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Pathfinder] - Wiz/Sorc Getting AC

Sudain
2014-07-11, 06:59 PM
Hello!

I realize this typically isn't an issue but I want to get a build that has some AC in it. :) I thought I could use a mythril chain shirt but it has a 20% arcane spell failure versus 10%. A buckler specify says it looses it's AC bonus when it has a spell cast with it.

Eeep! How do I go about getting an AC/Shield bonus to keep the point objects from doing unwanted exploratory surgery?

Thank you in advance,

Snowbluff
2014-07-11, 07:06 PM
People usually cast Mage Armor, and shield if they are feeling squishy.

Get an Armored Kilt and a Mithril Buckler at higher levels, I guess. And/or Bracers of Armor.

Also, use your other hand for casting spells. :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2014-07-11, 07:18 PM
Hello!

I realize this typically isn't an issue but I want to get a build that has some AC in it. :) I thought I could use a mythril chain shirt but it has a 20% arcane spell failure versus 10%. A buckler specify says it looses it's AC bonus when it has a spell cast with it.

Eeep! How do I go about getting an AC/Shield bonus to keep the point objects from doing unwanted exploratory surgery?

Thank you in advance,

Well, besides spells like Shield and Mage Armor...

Armored Kilt is a 0% Failure armor with 0 Check Penalty. It can be worn without penalty by anyone ever.
Granted, it only have +1 base AC, but that can be further enchanted.
Likewise, if Eastern Armors are allowed there's the Haramaki and Silken Ceremonial Armor. Haramaki strictly better than Armored Kilt: Cheaper, Lighter, no Max Dex restriction.
There are also a few ways to reduce Arcane Failure, the Arcane Armor feats, and the Hellknight Signifier PrC both help, as well as making stuff out of Mithril.

For Shield bonus, there is the Snapping Turtle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/snapping-turtle-style-combat-style) style feat, but this will set you back 2 feats for only +1 Shield bonus.
You can also (eventually) get an Animated (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/magic-armor-and-shield-special-abilities/animated) Shield. By spending a Move Action you get full benefits of using a Shield, but you still have to worry about Spell Failure and Armor Check Penalties, so special things like Mithril would help here.

Sudain
2014-07-11, 07:32 PM
Thank you thank you. :)

Sudain

deuxhero
2014-07-11, 09:22 PM
Mage Armor+Rod of Extend?