PDA

View Full Version : DM Help PvP Trap Ideas

brokenshadows
2014-07-12, 03:56 AM
i'm looking for trap ideas for an upcoming game. The group will be questing for a particular evil artifact, and i plan to have them in a very twisted dungeon. i generally like running trap/puzzle heavy games, with a bit more of a cerebral approach, as opposed to combat heavy games.

Here's the idea that's beginning to form, and keep in mind that i just started planning this about an hour ago, so right now it's in the "idea" phase...

The group will hear of the dungeon through whatever means they decide to pursue. Once they arrive at, and enter the dungeon, something will happen that will render them unconscious (undecided, as of yet), and they will wake up to find they've been grouped in pairs. They won't know what's going on, other than they seem to be in an obvious "trap" of some sort.

Here's the kicker. Their traps don't hurt them, they hurt the other player they've been paired with. For example: Two players wake up alone. They seem to be in some sort of well, except the wells have a glass-like partition. Through the partition, they can see the other PC. They can hear the other PC, but cannot otherwise interact with them. On the far side of the well is a series of rungs, embedded into the wall, leading up to open air. Every time a PC grabs a rung, the spell/trap on that rung is triggered, but affects the other PC. i want them to be in the situation where they have to decide exactly how much they are willing to inflict on the other PC in order to gain their freedom. Sort of a bunch of "Saw" type traps.

Do they stop trying to escape? Do they damn the consequences and keep going, even though they know they are inflicting pain on their fellow PC? Will they get halfway, and decide they can't handle the guilt? Will they potentially sacrifice themselves, so the other player can live?

i want the players to have to decide how much their party members are worth to them...because i'm an evil DM, and my players love it... :smallamused:

Once they are free from their individual traps, they will continue on through the dungeon, filled with puzzles, and traps, and monsters, as usual, however i've not tried to design any PvP traps before.

Any ideas? The more twisted, the better...this is an evil artifact they are questing for, after all...