PDA

View Full Version : Computer Wargame: Red Dragon

Silverraptor
2014-07-12, 04:06 AM
So, I've been playing this game since I first picked it up about a month ago. When I first delved into it, everything went over my head and I didn't understand anything despite playing multiple RTS games in the past. But then I met a very nice person who explained stuff bit by bit and now I find myself playing this game all the time.

For any of you who do not know, Wargame: Red Dragon is a simulated RTS game based upon the world's military between the years of 1970 and 1990. There are 2 sides; BluFor (Which is essentially Nato plus South Korea, Japan, and Australia) and RedFor (Which is the Soviet Union and its allies). Here is a trailer for an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw3az0LsKc0

What makes the game unique is there are over 1,300 troops in the game! Each player must organize a unit composition into a specific set of deck, with the amount of units, leads to many different deck combinations!

So, if you are new or interested in picking up the game, or have it and have been playing it yourself, this is a good place to discuss it.:smallsmile:

lesser_minion
2014-07-12, 05:11 AM
I haven't made the leap to Red Dragon yet myself, but I did have fun with the small amount of AirLand Battle I played (even if I was too scared to try out the multiplayer).

In any event, to add some more information, the Wargame series is based on the premise of a cold war gone hot, originally in Europe. The first game was set basically in Germany, and the second was set in Scandinavia. You use real-world military units, which you assemble into a 'deck' comprising different units, and which are modelled mostly by old-school wargamey stats where a weapon might have "armour penetration 12" and a tank might have "top armour 4" and whether the weapon hits or not and what it does are both governed mainly by dice rolls. However, some aspects, including stealth and line of sight are modelled in extensive detail by the game engine.

Instead of building full-fledged military bases from the ground up on the battlefield, the game has semi-realistic logistics where you need to send trucks (or helicopters) around the battlefield to repair, refuel, and rearm your units. In order to call in units, you need to hold a suitable reinforcement area by parking a command vehicle there, you need to earn reinforcement points to call them in by holding map sectors, and you need to actually have enough of the unit left to call in -- each time you add a unit to your deck, you only get a tiny handful of that unit, and once a unit's destroyed, you will never get it back.

The standard game mode awards victory points for kills and kills only, and a battle ends either once a certain victory point total is reached -- or you can instantly defeat an entire enemy side by destroying every command vehicle they have in play.

Silverraptor
2014-07-12, 12:53 PM
I haven't made the leap to Red Dragon yet myself, but I did have fun with the small amount of AirLand Battle I played (even if I was too scared to try out the multiplayer).

In any event, to add some more information, the Wargame series is based on the premise of a cold war gone hot, originally in Europe. The first game was set basically in Germany, and the second was set in Scandinavia. You use real-world military units, which you assemble into a 'deck' comprising different units, and which are modelled mostly by old-school wargamey stats where a weapon might have "armour penetration 12" and a tank might have "top armour 4" and whether the weapon hits or not and what it does are both governed mainly by dice rolls. However, some aspects, including stealth and line of sight are modelled in extensive detail by the game engine.

Instead of building full-fledged military bases from the ground up on the battlefield, the game has semi-realistic logistics where you need to send trucks (or helicopters) around the battlefield to repair, refuel, and rearm your units. In order to call in units, you need to hold a suitable reinforcement area by parking a command vehicle there, you need to earn reinforcement points to call them in by holding map sectors, and you need to actually have enough of the unit left to call in -- each time you add a unit to your deck, you only get a tiny handful of that unit, and once a unit's destroyed, you will never get it back.

The standard game mode awards victory points for kills and kills only, and a battle ends either once a certain victory point total is reached -- or you can instantly defeat an entire enemy side by destroying every command vehicle they have in play.

Or Conquest, which is take map sectors with the above command vehicles for an amount of time equal to the amount of points each sector gives you. A "King of the Hill" if you will. That said if there are any new players, I'm sure us veterans would be willing to help you guys out.

Silverraptor
2014-07-16, 12:16 AM
So, is there any Gitp people out there that play or want to play Wargame Red Dragon?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-07-17, 02:17 PM
Bought it, tried it, went back to StarCraft 2.

Exact same problem as AirLand Battle. Major information overload. Too many different things, and you can't just fall back on realistic army compositions because they suck compared to minmaxing. And if it's not realistic, I'm just going to play SC2 instead because it's actually fairly balanced.

Thraxar
2014-07-18, 06:09 AM
Not sure what Hiro is talking about.

I play it and it is very good. Few bits that need tweaking here and there but generally it's excellent. The DLC is coming out very soon too which will add a new dynamic.

Let me know if you want a game sometime or jump on the reddit TS server and join in the fun.

Silverraptor
2014-07-18, 10:01 AM
I agree. It has a more realistic feel to it compared to starcraft 2. The major problem is the lack of explanation for new players. But once you get over that, its a pretty well played game.

Is there currently any way to share replays with other people?

Silverraptor
2014-07-19, 08:47 PM
I'd thought I'd try to liven this thread up by posting this video of my 3rd ever game in multiplayer. The guy hosting the youtube account is Bubblebox who is making pretty good and informative tutorials as well as posting replays of interesting games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve0jDwoOMH8

Silverraptor
2014-07-20, 10:46 PM
Keeping up with videos of me feature on youtube in relation to this game, here is a video replay where me and the guy commentating are suddenly thrust against incredible odds stacked against us and we had to turtle hard or become the appetizer soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj42dPo0qG8

Silverraptor
2014-07-26, 05:10 PM
Well, they just released new Free DLC to the Wargame Red Dragon that adds even more units to the game. And since the DLC is free, you're getting more bang for your buck now.

Thraxar
2014-07-30, 09:38 AM
The DLC is awesome. Both sides feel like they will be very well balanced (as soon as the ATGM bug is fixed this week). So many options on how to play now, but I must go the glorious Japanese-Korean Coalition is calling to me. Onwards my FIAT Recons! Onwards to victory! KYU SHIKI MARUUUUUUUUU!

Silverraptor
2014-07-30, 11:15 AM
The DLC is awesome. Both sides feel like they will be very well balanced (as soon as the ATGM bug is fixed this week). So many options on how to play now, but I must go the glorious Japanese-Korean Coalition is calling to me. Onwards my FIAT Recons! Onwards to victory! KYU SHIKI MARUUUUUUUUU!

ATGMs have a bug? Is that why whenever I use them they miss more than they hit and when they do hit they don't kill?:smallconfused: Or is it a different kind of bug?

Thraxar
2014-07-31, 04:05 AM
It's a bug that affect accuracy. Something to do with time between corrections is now 10times smaller than it should be. So your ATGMs test to hit 10x more than normal.

With a 50% chance to hit it's like flipping a heads 20times in a row rather than say twice which is what it did before the patch.

As for the killing power it's probably near misses or the fact that tanks have been buffed slightly.

For now get rid of the ATGMs from your deck (unless they are F&F which are unaffected) and take more tanks to kill other tanks. Plane ATGMs don't seem to be as bad.

It's quite nice to see more tanks but it certainly favours RedFor and their greater selection of heavy tanks.

Silverraptor
2014-08-01, 03:25 PM
I see. Yeah I hope they fix that soon. Might go make an armor company for fun now in the mean time.

By the way, did you watch either of those videos I posted earlier?

Storm Bringer
2014-08-03, 12:40 PM
I've played a bit of AirLand Battle. and upgraded to Red Dragon a few weeks ago.

it's pretty good. the fleet selection is a little smaller than I'd like, but it's still pretty good, and one frigate parked off a coast pretty much shuts down movement in its line of sight, while it's alive. the ships are rather hard to kill, compared to some other units. A Kongo or the two redfor 500 point destroyers can take ridiculous amounts of missles and stay alive.

most maps don't support ships, though.

Silverraptor
2014-08-03, 01:24 PM
I've played a bit of AirLand Battle. and upgraded to Red Dragon a few weeks ago.

it's pretty good. the fleet selection is a little smaller than I'd like, but it's still pretty good, and one frigate parked off a coast pretty much shuts down movement in its line of sight, while it's alive. the ships are rather hard to kill, compared to some other units. A Kongo or the two redfor 500 point destroyers can take ridiculous amounts of missles and stay alive.

most maps don't support ships, though.

Tanks seem to be able to stand against the most ships main guns head on. I remember shoot a tank for over 2 minutes and it was still there. Stunned and panicked, but still had 6 HP.

Silverraptor
2014-08-14, 07:47 PM
So, I just got out of a crazy game in Wargame: Red Dragon with my friend. My friend likes to be weird and pick units who are cheap in points, but the reason is they are not the best kinds of units. This game, he grabbed Mitsubishi recoilless rifles. They are meant as a surplus unit from WWII, as recoilless rifles stopped being good after that. However, the players we were playing against were playing a spam deck using WWII surplus units as well, mainly trying to overrun us with T-34 tanks. So, by sheer chance that I was playing with my friend and his many recoilless rifles, we successfully hold off 6 waves of T-34s and helicopters, as we had enough Anti-air to shoot down the helicopters. It was an insane game. I'm all tired from just that game alone. :smallsigh:

Silverraptor
2014-09-02, 02:09 PM
New patch just came out with a new campaign in addition, the game itself is 50% off. So now is as good as time to get it!:smallbiggrin: