PDA

View Full Version : Help my gravewalker pick hexes

Dalebert
2014-07-12, 09:45 AM
As a gravewalker, I lose three hexes to pay for gravewalker-specific abilities. Normally a witch gets 5 regular hexes before becoming eligible for major hexes, at which point it feels silly to waste hex slots on regular hexes. That means gravewalkers only get 2 regular hexes before 10th level.

Here's my personal situation. I took Spell Focus (Necromancy) and Undead Master as my 1st and 3rd lvl feats. I took Extra Hex for my 5th level feat. So right now I have Evil Eye and Flight. I get another hex at 6th and potentially one at 7th and 9th via Extra Hex. Any advice on what I should pick? Should I swap any out? Flight feels absolutely imperative since I'm a small creature (ratfolk) with a 20 ft move. It will also allow me to hover above battles for more safety in many situations. Evil Eye, Slumber, and Misfortune all seem decent but somewhat redundant since they're all will-based but each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I hear Misfortune affects everything unlike the other two (is that true?) but has very limited duration unless I also take Cackle. If I take it, it'll probably be at 8th when it lasts 2 rounds but should I give up Evil Eye (the sure thing for one round) for it? Cackle feels very limited but works well with Misfortune.

So I can potentially still have 5 hexes if I give up all my remaining (until 10th) feats for it, but should I? If so, which hexes? This is my quandary.

Arbane
2014-07-12, 01:26 PM
As far as I know Misfortune works on just about anything. It and Cackle are indeed a good combo. (Less so at higher levels, where enemies have such huge bonuses to do stuff that the die-roll becomes less important.) All the If you do take these two, try to get Fortune as well - if any of your allies are crit-fishers, they'll love it, and it'll work on your undead minions.

Dalebert
2014-07-12, 02:35 PM
All the If you do take these two, try to get Fortune as well - if any of your allies are crit-fishers, they'll love it, and it'll work on your undead minions.

Even with Cackle to extend it, a once a day per ally effect just doesn't seem worth it, particularly with my extremely limited slots. At least once a day on enemies works again for each new encounter. It's much more limiting when it comes to allies.

FWIW, I feel like I've narrowed it down to just a few choices. I want Flight and Slumber for sure. I've merely held off on Slumber until I was high enough level for the duration to be decent. So then it's down to Evil Eye, Misfortune, and Cackle. I can take all three if I give up my feats but I'm disinclined. That feels very expensive. Misfortune and Cackle are a package deal. I wouldn't take one without the other. Evil Eye, on the other hand, is fine stand-alone.

I'll probably take Slumber at level 6 regardless. The question then is whether to just be happy there and use my feats for other things or should I take Misfortune at 7 and retrain Evil Eye to Cackle? Or is it worth it to give up all my remaining feats through lvl 9 to have all three for the versatility?

Arbane
2014-07-12, 03:55 PM
Well, what other feats were you thinking of getting?

Dalebert
2014-07-12, 04:18 PM
Good question. I haven't decided much past where I am now. I've contemplated Craft Wand. My DM has banned all magic item creation except for spell trigger devices and he seems a little stingy with treasure so that would save money. Accursed Hex (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/feats/general-feats/accursed-hex) maybe. I've also contemplated metamagic feats, particularly aiming for things that would help diversify my magic a bit since I'm a little frustrated with the witch spell list, but honestly, a lot of the ones I would use to do that are turning out to not be available in PF, like shape spell.

EDIT: Honestly, after looking over the metamagic feats, the only thing that seems appealing is extend, and I would prefer to just get a lesser rod of that when I can afford it.

Maybe Combat Casting, but my strategy has been to try to use hexes in cases when I'm threatened since they don't provoke AoO.

I'd be interested in any suggestions for feats that would help with my undead minions in some way. I already have Spell Focus (necro) and Undead Master.

I've just decided that I want False Focus also.