PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with designing a variant Monster! (Variant Unique Lemure, CR 5)

Crustypeanut
2014-07-12, 03:19 PM
As mentioned in the title, I'm working on creating a unique variant to the Lemure - this is inspired by a monster in a Pathfinder Adventure Path, but I want to take him to a whole new level as I'm reworking the AP.

Meet Stink, the Lemure. He was once a normal Lemure, trapped on the material plane in a forgotten underground wizard's laboratory alongside other devils (Namely Imps, other Lemures, and Nuppiberos). In his untold ages of being stuck there, he began to eat a few Nuppiberos here and there and gain intelligence and power - eventually (Not long before the current time), a group of Derros moved in and one of them captured, befriended, and began experimenting on Stink, feeding him more devils (Limited to the three types mentioned above), alongside copious doses of Cytillesh (Brain mold) and humans from the surface who had been 'marinated' in the fungus as well.

Over time, he bloated to well over twice his original size and has gained new abilities in the mean time.

Long-story short, I'm asking you guys to see if the ideas I've come up with are interesting and not too dangerous (or too weak!) for a CR 5 encounter, as this is one of the first times i've made a heavily modified monster rather than a monster with NPC classes as I usually do.

Stink
------------------------
CR 5 - 1600 xp

Variant Unique Lemure
LE Large Outsider (Devil, Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
Init +3; Senses: Blindsight 60ft, Fungal Sight; Perception +5
Aura: Stench (30 ft, DC 17 Fort, 1d6 minutes)
-------
AC 14 (Touch 8, FF 14)(-1 Dex, -1 Size, +6 Natural)
Hp: 42 (5d10+15[Con]); Fast Healing 3
Fort +9, Ref +3, Will -2;
DR 5/Good or Silver; Immune Fire, Poison, Insanity, Confusion; Resist Acid 10, Cold 10
-------
Speed: 5 ft
Melee: 2 Claws +9 (1d6+5 plus Grab)
Space 10ft; Reach 10ft
SA: Grab (Medium or smaller), Swallow Whole (1d8+7, AC 13, 4 Hp), Cytillesh Vomit (DC 17 Ref/Will)
-------
Str 20, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 5, Cha 5
BAB +5, CMB +11(+15 Grab), CMD 20 (Can't be Tripped)
Feats: Improved Initiative(1st), Ability Focus(Cytillesh Vomit)(3rd), Ability Focus(Stench)(5th)
Skills(15)(): Perception[5] +5, Sense Motive[5] +5, Intimidate[5] +5
Languages: Infernal
SQ: Fungal Sight
-----
Fungal Sight(Ex): The long exposure to cytillesh and the constant cytillesh-induced feedings have destroyed Stink's eyes, replacing them with glowing fungal growths. His normal vision has been replaced with blindsight and an ability to see the taint of cytillesh or absence of it in other creatures. Both have a range of 60ft.

Cytillesh Vomit(Ex): Once every 1d4 rounds, Stink can spew a line of fungal vomit in a 30ft line. Anyone caught in the vomit's path must make a DC 17 Reflex Save or have the fungal mixture make skin contact - anyone touched by the vomit must then make a DC 17 Will save or be Confused, as per the spell, for 1d3 rounds. A successful save means they are only Dazed for one round. This is both a mind-affecting effect and a poison effect. The DC is Con-based, and includes a +2 from Stink's Ability Focus feat.

Swallow Whole(Ex): In addition to all of the normal Swallow Whole properties, Stink's stomach is also affected by his damage reduction and fast healing. Stink's stomach can hold a single medium humanoid at a time.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Criticism? I'm open to it all!

Spore
2014-07-13, 01:07 PM
Because your heroes would never see the vomit coming I guess the confusion is kind of harsh. All in all it is quite balanced if you give your group infos about immunities (devils 'n all). Maybe hint to immunities from saying "the Lemure is seemingly unmoved by the burning laboratory" up to a lab note concerning the torturing methods and immunities for devils.