PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for help with a Buddhism inspired weapon

sumptesh
2014-07-12, 03:20 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm putting together a one off session to introduce some friends to the game. To save them confusion I'm tailoring characters with some input from them. One of them has a very Buddhist outlook and a thing for hula hoops, so she opted for a cleric, and I figured to not completely remove her from combat I would give holy symbol/weapon that only deals non-lethal damage.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time with what to give her to compensate for the non-lethality. Any suggestions on balancing out the abilities would be appreciated.

P.S. Since I'm trying to introduce people to the system I'm keeping everything core.

paperarmor
2014-07-12, 03:31 PM
Chakrams with the merciful property which are thown weapons that do 2d6 total nonlethal damage and look like hula hoops. Or the wheel of Dharma.

Gildedragon
2014-07-12, 03:42 PM
Core only: you're SOL, except for the merciful property.
Large or larger chakrams would be hula hoop type things (stated out chakrams are headband sized at most)
Holy symbol: well if going Buddhist no symbol is a good symbol. A whip or whiplike mechanics might be good for this weapon. Or a sap...

Prime32
2014-07-12, 03:46 PM
A khakkhara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khakkhara)? Basically a staff with rings on its head that jingle whenever it strikes the ground.

jiriku
2014-07-12, 03:55 PM
So something she'll use like this (http://imgur.com/gallery/2l4BJ0Q/comment/247476346) or this (http://ecc-u.deviantart.com/art/Tira-1P-Soul-Calibur-BD-142412732), then. Shouldn't be too difficult.

WAR HOOP
The war hoop is essentially a reinforced hula hoop made of a tough, flexible material like wood or horn. War hoops vary in size but are usually about four to four and a half feet in diameter and one to two inches thick. In the hands of a skilled wielder, the war hoop is an amazing weapon to behold, lending itself to a variety of acrobatic maneuvers as the wielder weaves in and out of her hoop, keeping it constantly in motion.

The war hoop is a two-handed bludgeoning weapon. Because of its flexible, yielding construction, it deals nonlethal damage. A war hoop can be used to trip an opponent. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the war hoop to avoid being tripped. You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a war hoop sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon. Using a war hoop requires special techniques and training, thus it is an exotic weapon. You can use a war hoop as a martial weapon, but without special training you are unable to trip with it or use Weapon Finesse with it. It has the following game statistics:

Cost: 30 gp; Dmg (M): 2d6; Critical x3; Weight 6 lb.; Type: Bludgeoning (nonlethal)

Edit: If you want to avoid a custom weapon, just use the statistics for a sap and call it a hoop. Not really the same at all, but that's the only nonlethal weapon you've got in core.

sumptesh
2014-07-12, 03:56 PM
Thanks, not exactly the suggestion I was looking for, but it knocked me in direction I needed to go.

Red Fel
2014-07-12, 09:38 PM
Consider combining a chakram or other ring-shaped weapon with a Prayer Wheel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_wheel), which is a reasonably Buddhist motif. Basically, have it engraved along the edges, such that prayers can be read as the blades (or blunt edges, if you're going non-lethal) spin. In essence, wielding it in battle is a more literal way to "deliver enlightenment" to one's enemies. This also allows it to double as a ritual object or holy symbol, since it can be spun out of combat for purely religious or meditative purposes.

As a bonus, consider using lotus leaves as a motif, perhaps even a holy symbol consisting of a wooden tablet engraved with three lotus leaves.

But yes. Mechanically speaking, there are very few weapons (at least in core) that deal only nonlethal damage. Unarmed Strikes, a Sap, a Whip, or Bolas are about the only things I can think of. The Merciful property would basically be a must, or you could homebrew a custom weapon. Instead, I would suggest that you design a weapon that deals bludgeoning damage, rather than nonlethal damage.

In theory, you could homebrew it as a form of Shuriken, which does exist in core (I think). It deals minimal damage, and you could easily change it to deal nonlethal damage, then add the Returning property so that she only needs the one weapon.