PDA

View Full Version : Taverns & Tarrasques: Tales from the Dungeonmaster's Kitchen

Jeff the Green
2014-07-12, 04:14 PM
Inspired by the most gloriously derailed thread ever (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357981-Can-you-cheat-at-D-amp-D), I decided we should collect the Playground's best roleplaying-themed or game night-appropriate recipes. I'll use this post to create an index, so go ahead and post your recipes!

Here's a template for you to use if you want.

Title of Recipe
A short description can go here.

Ingredients:

Ingredient 1
Ingredient 2

Directions:

Step 1
Step 2

Comments:

Title of Recipe
A short description can go here.

Ingredients:

Ingredient 1
Ingredient 2

Directions:

Step 1
Step 2

Comments:

Thanks, Guicarci, for the name!

Jeff the Green
2014-07-12, 04:20 PM
Xen'drik Bread
Super moist banana bread with a tropical kick.

Ingredients

Wet ingredients:

3 bananas (4 if small)
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
¼ cup butter, melted

Dry ingredients:

1½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves

Hunks and chunks:

½ cup dark or spiced rum
½ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped nuts (walnut or macadamia prefered)
¼ cup grated coconut
¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325° F.
If using raisins, simmer in rum until plump. Drain, but save the rum.
Mash bananas and combine with the rest of the wet ingredients. Add some of the rum if you want.
Add dry ingredients and stir by hand until just smooth. Do not stir too long or too vigorously.
Fold in hunks and chunks as desired. Adjust amount to taste
Pour into greased bread pan and bake at least 30 minutes, until a knife comes out mostly clean. (Moist crumbs will stick, but batter shouldn't.)
Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack and let sit for another 30 minutes.

Comments:
This is a variation on a banana bread recipe that I've been able to trace to the mother of my dad's 3rd-grade teacher. By itself it's the best, most moist, purest banana bread I've had, and these modifications give it an extra kick. If you like crunchy edges, serve it immediately or cover with a tea towel. If you prefer it to be moist all the way through and with a sticky rather than crunchy crust (like I do), store it at room temperature in a ziplock bag.

Somensjev
2014-07-12, 04:49 PM
subscribed :smallbiggrin:

i'm expecting great things from this thread

and i've got to try making that xen'drik bread

Palanan
2014-07-12, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff the Green
By itself it's the best, most moist, purest banana bread I've had....

Challenge accepted. :smalltongue:

Banana bread is one of the few things I can cook really well. I've never tried it with rum before.

Also, I approve of your sticky-crust preferences. Moist banana bread is a thing of glory.

Tebryn
2014-07-12, 08:02 PM
I'm just going to post this whole Playlist here (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCRHBrsTr2WXzhX4GrP48rr). Most, if not all, are good for game nights. I even have a Banana Bread (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsdHpv35GgU&index=32&list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCRHBrsTr2WXzhX4GrP48rr) recipe that is probably the best I've ever eaten anywhere.

Ionbound
2014-08-05, 07:32 PM
So, I made the Xen'drik bread, and it was great. My one gripe is that the cook time is rather shorter than it should be. It took me a good 10-20 minutes longer than what you have in the recipe.