PDA

View Full Version : Awakened animal Hit Dice

erok0809
2014-07-12, 06:55 PM
When you cast Awaken on an animal and its creature type changes to Magical Beast, does that change all of its existing HD to magical beast HD, rather than animal HD? Like does its HD become d10's, with full BAB and the rest of it? Or would it keep the animal HD it has, but then any time it gained a HD due to advancement, it would get a magical beast HD?

Also, if the HD do change, does the animal now get skill points using its new INT score, or does that only apply for future HD?

Urpriest
2014-07-12, 07:24 PM
When you cast Awaken on an animal and its creature type changes to Magical Beast, does that change all of its existing HD to magical beast HD, rather than animal HD? Like does its HD become d10's, with full BAB and the rest of it? Or would it keep the animal HD it has, but then any time it gained a HD due to advancement, it would get a magical beast HD?

Also, if the HD do change, does the animal now get skill points using its new INT score, or does that only apply for future HD?

It becomes a magical beast (augmented animal). That means it has magical beast traits (darkvision and low-light vision) but animal features (d8 HD, 3/4 BAB, good Fort and Ref, 2+Int skill points). That's true both for current, and future hit dice.

Skill points in general don't increase retroactively when your Int increases, so it would only get the extra skill points for future HD.

erok0809
2014-07-12, 07:29 PM
Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I originally thought. Thanks!

One more thing, would the two bonus HD it gets from the awaken spell get skill points with the new INT score, or the old one?

Urpriest
2014-07-12, 07:46 PM
Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I originally thought. Thanks!

One more thing, would the two bonus HD it gets from the awaken spell get skill points with the new INT score, or the old one?

That looks to be ambiguous. Standard level advancement is for ability score increases to happen before skill points, but that's not really what's going on here. I'd still use that for precedent, though.