PDA

View Full Version : Age of Aquarius IC

Artemis97
2014-07-12, 07:48 PM
Over three thousand years ago, the seas began to rise. Some believed it was a natural disaster. Others, an act of the gods, either for the punishment or salvation of the world. No one could truly say for certain why the Great Flood happened, only that it did, bringing a cold, watery death for millions, and leaving many more adrift and lost on the seemingly endless ocean. However, the Great Flood did not bring utter doom to the world. Through determination, ingenuity, and often pure luck, people survived. Slowly, civilizations returned to the world, changed though it was. New peoples, better suited to the world of water, came into their own, while traditional powers faded. Although life continues, it is a harsh one, and the battle for resources and control often sparks war. At present, the only trouble on the seas is a massive storm that blew across the southern ocean, setting a few people adrift on the waves of destiny and steering them to the shores of Crescent Port.

One of the largest islands of the atoll dubbed The Reef, Crescent Port is quite literally the port in the storm. Believed to have once been a volcano in the time before the Great Flood, the island is nearly circular with mountains on all sides, hemming in the harbor and the prosperous trade port. It was known to be a free sort of place, with few laws, however the local militia kept peace between any differing factions who might make anchor there.

Many of the docks in Crescent Port were built from the volcanic stone that made up the island. Heavy, sturdy, and unlikely to be blown away in the frequent summer storms. The city's civic buildings and more prosperous residences were constructed of the same material, heavily carved with designs of wildlife from the surrounding jungle and ocean. The rest of the buildings were made from bamboo, which grew nearly everywhere on the island. Light, strong, and quickly regrowable it made for an ideal building material for the masses, particularly the fishing huts set on stilts that dotted the interior of the harbor and were also found in clusters on the outer edge of the island.

Large fortifications guarded the mouth of the harbor, manned by the best of Port Crescent's militia and protected by large, imported ballistae. The watchmen there took little notice of our fated few as they found their way into the protection of the harbor. They were not warships, just refugees who would probably find themselves a job on the docks, or with one of the many ships who came here to resupply. In this tropical land, food and shelter were not hard to come by if one was willing to work for it.

The docks themselves were a mixing pot of peoples, mostly human, halfling, or gnomish. Indeed many of the structures or ships were built half-scale for those smaller folk. There was a smattering of elves, often the exotically colored Aquatic Elves who thrived in the post-flood world, though one did wear the light armor of Eagle's Roost, and an observant eye would spot a giant eagle circling above. A few Dwarves of Catan haggled with a gnomish merchant while their Orcish bodyguards watched the passing crowds. A bored looking human in their naval uniform also stood nearby, waiting for the negotiations to finish. Strong and tanned men of many races moved cargo on and off of ships. A pair of merfolk men lounged on the rocks near the waterline, their spears set aside as they shared news and a meal with some halflings. A half-dozen tongues floated through the air, mixing with the rythmic sounds of rigging creaking in the wind, the clunk of wooden hulls, and the ever present rise and fall of the waves. The scents of gutted fish, sweat and tar blended with the sweeter smells of sea spray, fried foods, and the wisps of tropical flowers blowing down from the mountain side.

It was here, in this place of opportunity and diversity, that our washed up band found themselves. What would they do, and would they find one another?

Hazuki
2014-07-12, 08:27 PM
Pecha

Pecha's entrance into Crescent Port is a fairly humble one, with none of the grandiose displays that a few novice mistakes of hers had caused over the last few days. No grand speeches or exuberant movements, or even attempts to display her own wit; it is one thing she'd prefer to avoid when stepping into a new hub of activity for the first time, and, this morning, she'd managed to perform Anwe's ritual well. The Changeling had even managed to choose a couple of nuggets of knowledge that seemed like they'd be the most useful, for exploring the port.

Her chosen appearance is something simple and unintrusive, but one that would lend itself well to the fact that she's quite the lost young woman. Her skin shifted to a light tan, her silky locks into slightly frazzled red curls that were neatly tied into a ponytail, along with a smattering of freckles, almost-shaped green eyes, and ears that were slightly pointier than normal. It didn't take long to perfect the form of nobody in particular, and she didn't feel like mimicking the forms of those she shared a ship with.

With a slightly hunched posture and a wary gait, she made an immediate beeline to the friendliest and prettiest guard that she could spot and placed herself in front of her. "Um, excuse me." The dimunitive half-elf greets the guard, her fingers wringing together at her stomach. "I'm wondering if you, ah, know where I can find...umm...people? Y'know...nice ones?" She asks, forcing a lopsided grin at the guardswoman that was all too pathetic.

Taking 20 on Disguise, for a result of 33. Just as a generic, shy, but very pretty, half-elf.

Dexam
2014-07-14, 10:11 AM
When Sulath spied that dark smear on the horizon, he knew that he must make for it or perish. Already he had spent several days clinging to the single piece of driftwood that was his life-raft, subsisting on raw fish and kelp. While he was hardy enough to survive for maybe weeks more, eventually his luck would run out. His mood had not been improved by the unrequested presence of one of the bird-folk who lived atop the near-unscalable cliffs of the larger lizardfolk isles. He'd done his best to ignore it.

As he drew closer, he could tell by the size and shape of the island that this must be the place the halflings called Crescent Port. Though he had never been there, occasionally his tribe would send traders on the long journey when their harvest of shark, seal, and turtle had been especially bountiful; bartering meat, leather, bone, shell, and fat for the rare and precious wood and metal products their tribe lacked. More frequently, when they traded, the Poison Dusk lizardfolk would choose the nearer, but smaller halfling and gnome populated Reef islands. Or, if the warriors were inclined and the shamans agreed the portents were right, they would raid those islands, stealing pigs, wood, fruits, and tools. It was on such a raid that he found himself several days ago - a barely-blooded young warrior, eager to prove himself. The Razorclaw tribe shamans had predicted a storm brewing - the perfect cover for a raid. Unfortunately, the storm had proved more vicious than the shamans' predictions, and he had been washed away from the outrigger canoes favoured by his people. To his good fortune, Sulath chanced upon a fallen log that had also been swept out to sea by the storm.

Now, as Crescent Port drew larger as he approached, he marveled at it's size. Never before had Sulath seen so much land in one place. How best to approach? Potentially, the inhabitants would treat him with hostility... better to approach in stealth and determine the mood its people. He elects to abandon his temporary raft (and its bird-man interloper) and slip beneath the waves and clings to the hull of a passing ship, poking his head above the waves ever few minutes for a breath before slipping below again. Either his stealthy approach is successful, or the bored watchers ignore him as a non-threat. Either way, once among the crowded piers and boats, he finds a safe spot to slip ashore. There, he checks over his equipment, taking the time to re-oil and re-string his precious bow of wood and bone.

Satisfied that he's as prepared as he can be, he warily makes his way into the crowded docks, marveling at the mix of races and wondering what the fates would bring to him next...

bryn0528
2014-07-16, 05:00 PM
"Land ho! What? Don't look at me like that. I saw it first, you know."

"Are you sure you don't want any of these delicious roasted seeds? There's plenty to share. Don't turn your nose up like that! It's not like your dinner looks any better, sharkbreath."

"I know your spear is longer, but just look at it. It's not always just the size that counts, it's about what you can do with it, too. Besides, mine is much more handsome. And much better oiled. Do you even take care of yours?"

"Hey there. I hope you don't mind if I sit on your log. Crazy storm, huh? I wouldn't be surprised if the whole world was covered in water after that one! Wait, what do you mean the world's already covered in water."

I had some exposition and a little bit of prelude here, but I thought it was much funnier to take it all out and just have Korii talking. There are essentially 2 kinds of people with low charisma; the solemn types who don't speak much or are kind of brash and just generally awkward in any social situation, and then the others that have no idea that they are annoying and the general scourge of the earth. And if you asked him, Korii would probably tell you he's the first type and that Sulath is the second.

5a Violista
2014-07-21, 05:22 PM
Coraline

Coraline, the mermaid, arrives at Crescent Port just after the bird-man Korii and the lizard-man Sulath. The storm had told her to follow them through the sea, and she had. The storm had said they would...

...Oh, crap! Are those mermen?
Coraline spots the two mermen lounging on the rocks at the shore. From this distance, she can't tell where they're from, but there's no point running the risk. If they're from her home city, Airdrie, there's no telling what would happen - would they try to bring her back? Capture her? Kill her and pretend they didn't see her?

She leans over to her crocodile. "Look," she tells it. "I know you're tired from all that swimming. Just a little further, okay? Just don't bite anyone until after we find the lizard and the bird. Then you can have all the rest and food you want." She rubs the crocodile's head. "That's a good boy."

She looks back at the shore. Shoot. The lizard and the bird got on land while she was distracted by the mermen. This is going to be a lot harder than she initially thought.

Coraline swims up to shore as stealthily as possible and begins riding her crocodile once she arrives on the land. It's a lot harder than it looks, actually. She just hopes she isn't spotted by the mermen or those halflings.

Coraline's hide check:
[roll0] (+3 dex)
Sebastian the Crocodile's hide check:
[roll1] + 4 more while still in the water (+1 dex, +3 hide, +4 while in water)

Artemis97
2014-07-25, 10:24 AM
The guardwoman politely listens to Pecha's plight and nods and smiles. It was a tale she'd heard many times before. "There's a temple just up the beach, at the end of the docks. Little stone structure, you can't really miss it since most of the rest are bamboo. Oh and it's got a big compass painted on it. They'll give you a hand. Help you find work, or at least a safe place to rest your head." She points to the west, past all of the ships. Following the curve of the harbor wouldn't be hard.

Sulath and Korii draw a few looks. The former with some suspicion, and the latter with outright curiousity. One small child stops and points, tugging at his mother's hand. "Mama! Look at the bird man! Do you think he can fly?" The woman tries to usher the boy away, looking embarrassed, but also curious about the odd pair.

Coraline has successfully avoided the notice of the mermen and the halflings who were enjoying lunch on the rocks. Those nearby in the crowd, however, are much more surprised and shocked by the large aquatic reptile lumbering through their midsts. However, it wasn't eating anyone, and the merwoman on its back seemed to be under control. It sure made some of the guards look a little nervous. If that thing decided it was hungry, people were going to get seriously hurt. A guardswoman and her partner who had been speaking to a red-haired half elf just a moment ago step over to talk with Coraline, being careful to stay away from where the crocodile's mouth could reach. "Um, excuse me, ma'am? Um..." The woman is at a loss for words, but her halfling partner cuts in. "You're riding a crocodile?!"

Hazuki
2014-07-25, 12:20 PM
Pecha

"Great!" Pecha enthusiastically responds, swiftly followed by glancing at the floor and clamping her hands together before she mumbles again. "I mean, uh, thank you. You're very helpful." She adds, avoiding the guardswoman's eyes for a few moments and beginning to shuffle off with the goal of visiting the temple...until, of course, she happens to notice every nearby resident of the docks turning their eyes elsewhere, and the gentle clanking of metal in the guardswoman's armor.

The redheaded half-elf tucks a few stray hairs behind her sloping ear and watches the large reptilian creature, as well as the woman mounted on it, as they're approached by the guards. As soon as she lays eyes on the merwoman, she knows that she's found somebody interesting she could steal traits from...though perhaps not the tail, if only because she's not well adapted to water. The chomping teeth of the creature warn her away for a moment, but then she feels the arms inked into her stomach pulling her closer, followed by a few whispers in her ear.

Smiling now, Pecha skips her way over to the guardspeople and the merwoman. "I-It's not that fast." She comments with a slight smile, as she looks over the scaled creature. "Couldn't catch, uhh, tall folk." She gives a nervous glance towards the halfling. "As long as you don't get in the water...I mean, hopefully not. They could...umm, chomp most people clean in half. I hope the fish-lady," She laughs nervously, meeting Coraline's eyes. "Um, sorry. I don't know your name... I'm Beri. Hello. I like crocodiles."

5a Violista
2014-07-25, 04:48 PM
Coraline

I imagine a mermaid riding a crocodile will have to be pretty much lying down on the croc, with her tail along the croc's body. Even though there are so many short halflings here, this means Coraline still won't be able to see over their heads, to find the two she was following. She still doesn't know why she has to find them; she just knows that she needs to find them and go along with them.

This reason (being unable to see over the crowd the closer she gets) is why she bothers turning away from the direction she saw Sulath and Korii go, to look at the nervous guards and this plain-looking elfish girl. "Yes, he's not a horse, if that's what you're asking," she says to the guards. As an afterthought, Coraline adds, "Just don't go sticking anything in his mouth, and you'll be fine."

She turns to look at Pecha as she speaks, surprised and pleased that she knows something about crocodiles. Even more so that she likes crocodiles. Coraline smiles. "Beri, hi. Coraline's my name. I like them, too. They're really good at hiding and hunting."

Trying to look back through the crowd, Coraline bites her lip. Sure, people will clear away if she approaches them, but it could possibly make it harder to find those two. But this half-elf. She's tall enough. She can see over most these people. She might be able to see where that Raptoran and the Lizardfolk are. "Say, Beri, I need to find a tall bird-man and a short lizard-man who went off that way." She points. "Can you see them?"

Hazuki
2014-07-25, 06:18 PM
Pecha

A half-grin is returned to Coraline as she smiles at the half-elf. It only slips away when she's asked a question about other people, and a small frown creases her freckled forehead. "Umm...I dunno." She says to the question that it doesn't quite answer; she doesn't want to lose track of an interesting person so quickly, and if she's already riding off on her crocodile, she won't be able to chat with her! "Why're, um, you looking for the...people?" She asks, tilting her head.

5a Violista
2014-07-27, 11:11 AM
Coraline

Why? That is a very tough question to answer. What can she say? That she inexplicably believes they hold the key to finding her presumed-dead fiancé, despite knowing absolutely nothing about them? That the storm “told“ her to follow them? That she swam here all the way from the Drowned Forest following the wreckage just becaus she felt like she had to find them?

No, that‘s just silly. Who would believe it, anyway? “Have you ever had a feeling deep in your chest that tells you what you have to do, but not why? Knowing without a doubt that you have to find someone but the why is unknown? That...I know I have to find them and go with them, but I imagine I‘ll find out everything else only after I talk to them.“

Every second she spends talking, they get farther and farther away.

Hazuki
2014-07-27, 12:50 PM
Pecha

"Hmm..." Pecha hums to herself as she considers the words of the croc-riding mermaid, glancing over at the nearby pair. Of course a similar thing has happened to her, but it involved significantly more guidance and she at least knew why...just not how. "I guess I can show you, uh, them..." She says, turning half around to lead Coraline to the anthromorphic people she's looking for. "But, if you don't know what's going on...what makes you think they will?"

bryn0528
2014-07-27, 02:22 PM
Korii continued to walk along the crowd, without any real concern or fear. In fact, he seemed to lavish the idea that he was being found exotic and noteworthy. In the world of raptorans, and several other species of birds, it is traditionally and usually the male of the people to bear colorful plumage and flamboyance, and the female to remain dull in appearance. However, Korii was often overlooked in his own home, for his dull brown downy and seagull wings. Often, he was not considered a real man among his peers, and in several cases mistaken for a female outright. There are many virtues of the raptorans, but gender equality is not among them.

At being admired, Korii puffed himself larger, and allowed his small wings to fan in the mid-afternoon sunlight. He walked casually and slowly, practically strutting, all the while dragging Sulath at his side. The "bird-man" whispered excitedly on several occasions to him, "Just think of how popular we're going to be! Every ship in the harbor is going to looking out for us to be on their crew! So stop slouching and looking so morose and we can be swimming in gold in no time!"

And all the while wandering farther and farther away from Coraline and Pecha, and leaving behind a trail of mystified people.

5a Violista
2014-07-28, 04:35 PM
Coraline

Coraline gestures for her crocodile to follow Pecha, and he begins walking after her. "I don't expect them to know," she simply says. After all, they're only land-dwellers. "I imagine I'll find out sooner or later, however."

Dexam
2014-08-02, 08:19 AM
Slouching? Morose? Clearly this fool of a feather-brain knew nothing of lizardfolk.

"Do you even know where you are going?" he hisses to Korii.

Just then, a delectable odor strikes Sulath's nostrils - the scent of meat cooking over an open flame. He spies the source: a merchant grilling skewers of pork over a brazier of burning coals. Slipping away from the raptoran, he heads to the merchant and enquires about a skewer, nearly choking in disbelief when he hears the price. After several days of naught but raw fish and kelp to sustain him, the allure of cooked meat proves to be too strong and Sulath grudgingly pays the merchant, hissing curses under his breath in Draconic all the while.

Sulath gulps down chunks of scalding-hot but delicious pork, as he slowly makes his way back to Korii. On his way, he spies a weapons dealer making a sale of an exquisitely-crafted short blade to a halfling. Once again, he nearly chokes when he sees the amount of gold changing hands. He considers his own meager supply of trade coin.

"I require great wealth, and quickly," he demands of Korii as he catches up to him. "How do the man-things and halfkin go about this? Tell me, and I may not feed you to sharks one day."

bryn0528
2014-08-02, 03:00 PM
Korii stared at the sleuthing lizardman,his face starting to coil around a point that said at any moment he might break out into chastising such a rude gesture.. But almost immediately his face broke out in a neat and cheery grin. "See! Now that's the spirit. Of course I've got no mind for where we're headed! Why, how else could we get good and proper lost if we knew where we were going? No matter! You've seen the error of your ways.. Now notice, everyone is staring at us and that's because we're special. And guess just what kind of person people like to throw money at? That's right, special people, because if they give us money then they feel less unspecial about themselves because they are rich. Now follow my lead!"

Korii talked fast, with a rapid cadence, which made his words seem even stranger with his weird sing-song accent. He often times moved from standing still to a rapid pace, only to stop a few yards away again. He did this now, from Sulath, breaking through the crowd with his chin held high and his wings trailed behind him like a cape. In a boisterous voice he cried out to the crowd, each gesture more magnanimous than the last. "Come one, come all! Step on up and see a wondrous treasure from the deepest dark jungles, a man so uncivil, seen for the first time on these shores. Meet the lizard monster, the Basilisk! A master barbarian, with unparalleled skill with the bow and the spear, and the strength of a dozen men!"

Korii, with a flourish, gestured to Sulath, and the crowd parted like water. Korii grinned broadly, and gave some encouraging nods of the head.

Artemis97
2014-08-04, 01:57 PM
Pecha will find a small crowd forming up ahead, responding to Korii's call for attention. The people part to a respectful distance from the Raptoran and his reptillian collegue, perhaps a bit more than respectful from Sulath. They stare at him expectantly, waiting for the impromptu show to begin.

5a Violista
2014-08-09, 04:08 PM
Coraline

With her crocodile following along behind Pecha, Coraline keeps looking around, trying to see everything she can. People. People's legs. More people. A large group of people.

The large group of people is in the general direction that Pecha is leading. "Is that them?" she asks.

Hazuki
2014-08-10, 10:11 AM
Pecha

The pretty little half-elf gives a slight nod of her head as she's questioned, her flaming red locks bouncing with the movement as she watches the terribly uncharismatic birdman attempt to sway the crowd, achieving any kind of recognition solely for the fact that he's unusual to them, and milking it for all its worth. Despite herself, a little spark of her gifts lights up at the sight, the urge to show the arrogant birdman how to properly influence a crowd of people; she could even best him in the field of unique appearance, if she were to choose to. But then a stray ginger lock catches her sight, and she's reminded of who she is...or at least, who she's pretending to be.

"That's them." Pecha confirms.

Dexam
2014-08-10, 11:06 AM
Sulath stares blankly at the raptoran, who is quite evidently several varieties of insane. The deep, dark jungles of his races origin, that were said to spread as far as any ocean, are now naught but myths and legends of the pre-Flood world. This is not the first time that one of his folk have set foot on these shores, and though admittedly it had been a few years since the last trade mission, he doubted the memories of Port Crescent inhabitants were all that poor. And the claim about the strength of a dozen men was something that only the blind would potentially believe; if one of the Blackscales were here in his stead, then there would be significantly more credence in the claim.

Sulath turns the gathered crowd, blinks slowly (the lizardfolk equivalent of a shrug), and then turns back to Korii. "You speak words of nonsense and of lies. Perhaps you should seek food and drink?"

bryn0528
2014-08-11, 08:07 PM
Korii went a little slack-jawed (slack-beaked?) and his arms, spread before in every gallantry of a snake-oil salesman, fell a little flat. Now really, who was the blind one here? "You couldn't catch a joke in your teeth if was an arrow!" Korii squabbled, there's really no other word for the way an irritated raptoran spoke, across the crowd were not one bare word would go unheard. "You couldn't spot a lie were it painted red over your eye, could you sharkbreath?!" Korii made sure each of his words were punctuated with expressive and culturally inappropriate or rude gestures.

Korii gestured to the crowd flamboyantly. "The color and wit of truly uncivilized folk, ladies and gents! But nay, he does not understand the fashions or the humors of the court! I mean, just take a gander at him! So come on, Basilisk, show for us a mighty trick and this lovely crowd would surely reward our efforts handsomely."

Hazuki
2014-08-11, 08:13 PM
Pecha

The redheaded half-elf stays near the back of the crowd as the birdman yells to the crowd and makes clear his attempt to drain money from them like some kind of viscous bird-man-leech. Blatantly obvious, and she feels the arms embracing her spirit, and feels somehow like this is a minor sin that could be worth punishing. So, she shifts on her feet a little, clears her throat, then calls out in a booming, enchanting voice.

"Where does one so uncivilized gain such an eloquent grasp of the common tongue?"

Then, she darts somewhere else in the ground, her voice significantly more gruff. "Ye, and those gesture 're only rude t'us! Wher'd ya learn 'em?!"

Then, nimbly darting to the other side of the crowd, she speaks high-pitched and graceful. "Conmen! I'd wager those wings aren't even real!" With that, she slips back to her mermaid host, having incited crowd mentality enough to deter the leeches from their show.

I'll just take 10 on Diplomacy for 17, if it's necessary.

5a Violista
2014-08-12, 10:33 AM
Coraline

Pecha has given Coraline a great opportunity by doing that. It‘s grea how things work out like that.

She takes advantage of this opportunity. Coraline the mermaid urges her crocodile towads Korii and Sulath - further dispersing the crowd. She says to them, “Why, hello. I saw you both drift into town. If it‘s food and water you‘re looking for (what else would be the first things on their minds?), I can get you some. Fresh, too, and free of any charge.“.She hopes she sounds convincing. How else can she convince them she‘s not just a crazy stalker mermaid?

Dexam
2014-08-13, 08:50 AM
Sulath's expression grows more and more puzzled.

"One doesn't catch arrows in teeth; very dangerous," he hisses softly. "Lies are words, and words are wind; the wind cannot be painted any colour."

Was this bird-person humour? If so, it was making the Poisondusk's head ache trying to understand it. The village elders said that sometimes warm-blood's brains cooked if they were in the sun too long or got too hot - maybe the time out on the open water had overheated the raptoran's brain?

The small lizardfolk looks grateful when the mermaid and her crocodile come through the crowd. His expression grows slightly suspicious when he hears her offer. "This one," he gestures to Korii, "Is in need of water, and food, and shade. Or he may be gods'-touched." His tone implies that if the latter is the case, it's the wrong kind of god doing the wrong kind of touching. "Why do you offer this trade for nothing?"

bryn0528
2014-08-13, 10:28 AM
Korii whipped his head around to the dissenting voices and called back, "Slander and lies! Codswallop and blasphemy!" Korii pushed himself through the crowd, towards these unforward voices, all but abandoning Coraline with the infamous Basilisk.. er, the-not-so-well-known-at-all Sulath, without so much as a hello or nod of the head. In fact, he really never even seemed to notice her at all, with his yelling and scampering abouts into a very bemused crowd.

Evidently, after some time of wallowing through the lingering mass of people (which proved much less pliable, though gave a sizable girth to both Sulath and Coraline.. or rather her interesting choice of a mount), Korii was not rooting out the possible dissenters among them. He was at the foot of a simple, one storey building, full-sized for humans and the similar folk and not one of the little half-buildings for gnomes and the other short ones. Korii scaled the side of the wooden structure quite easily, all the while muttering furiously under his breath. Finally, he stood atop the building and spread his arms and wings quite wide before them all.

"Who among you claims that my wings are not real? True, I may not yet fly as the eagles do, for only our strongest may ever claim that prize, but these feathers, bones, and blood are enough to allow me this! Watch!" And with that last word Korii cast himself off and unfurled his wings. It was immediately obvious that they were much too small in size to beat upwards or against the wind, but they were large enough still to catch the airs beneath them and cause Korii to gracefully, and lazily, drift upon the wind in a gentle glide.

His time in the air was easily well spent. However, he jumped into a large crowd with little forethought. With a slow bank and gentle turn, Korii glided back towards Sulath and Coraline, the only nearby open area. With a surprising speed, Korii approached. What was he saying over the din of the crowd? Oh. "Get out of the way! I can't stop this thing!"

Hazuki
2014-08-13, 10:33 AM
Pecha

"Oh, so you're just a whelp!" The half-elf called, ducking behind one of the larger members of the crowd as she called out in a deep, burly voice, relatively unimpressed with the gliding and all too eager to stop them from manipulating people. The mermaid was on her own, though.

She darted to the other side again. "Then, what, pray tell, might the supposed infamous basilisk's true nature be?" A richly-accented and boastful voice called out, as she wiggled to the center of the crowd.

"A ruddy inbred 'n' ovahgrown lizerrrd!" Another voice called out, this one weasely and slimy, but still quite powerful in the lungs.

"GET OFF THE STAGE YA SCAMMAHS!" One final voice yelled, ignoring the plight of the soon-to-crash raptoran.

5a Violista
2014-08-13, 04:09 PM
Coraline

"Well," she says, "for one, you were just drifting in the ocean for a while, so obviously you're thirsty, and I can get some easily enough." That's pretty obvious, she thinks. But that's not very convincing. Besides, if someone offered her food like that, she'd be a little cautious, too.

So, time for the truth as well. "Also, truth be told, the storm told me that you two," she gestures at where she thought Korii was - utterly oblivious that he's diving towards them - "will do something important and I need to accompany both of you." Great. Now he probably thinks she's crazy.

Dexam
2014-08-16, 10:38 AM
Sulath's brow furrows at the mermaid's explanation, and then he nods.

"The storm was indeed one of great omens. At first I thought it cursed, but now it has shown me that I must acquire great wealth and power for my clan." The Poison Dusk lizardfolk peers suspiciously at Coraline. "You would assist me on my quest?"

Artemis97
2014-08-18, 06:33 PM
Thanks in part to Pecha's varied shouting, the crowd moves on and goes about their lives. Though, a few still pause as Korii climbs onto the roof. The feathered fellow probably would survive just fine the one story fall, provided he landed well enough.

Oh dear, it seemed that wasn't going to be the case. "Look out!" Someone calls, and people duck and dive to avoid his path. Will Sulath and Coraline also be able to dodge?

I'm going to call for acrobatics rolls for everyone. DC 10 Not to be injured. Coraline should probably use the reaction of the crocodile, unless you want to roll onto the ground. Apologies for not posting in a while as well, just got distracted this week with RL things. On the plus side I may have a small job soon, so yay!

Dexam
2014-08-19, 09:42 AM
Acrobatics? :smallconfused: I'm assuming that Tumble is okay? Or do you mean Reflex save? Either way:
Tumble check: [roll0]
Reflex save: [roll1]

:smalleek: Well, they are are rather different - I was hoping for similar results so I could write up the correct response.

5a Violista
2014-08-19, 05:42 PM
I personally think it would be reasonable for Sulath to use a tumble check, and we could say that it was because he could see it coming a little bit because of the way the two were facing and then he did a frontflip out of the way. Then, we would have to say that Coraline didn't see it coming, so the only option she had was a Reflex save. Besides, I can't really imagine a crocodile doing a backflip while a mermaid is riding him.

Coraline looks like she's about to say something, but suddenly, before she can say it...

*will edit in response after I see the roll if there's a success*
(Ha ha ha. Looks like not only a fail, but a natural 1.)

She doesn't see it coming, and neither does her crocodile. I imagine, at the very least, Coraline will get knocked off the crocodile onto the floor.

[roll0] Crocodile's Reflex Save

Hazuki
2014-08-19, 05:56 PM
Pecha smiles softly to herself as she feels the embrace of her tattoos tighten in response to her actions, the crowd dispersed at the manipulators having the wind taken out of their sails. Being well out of the way of the birdman's attempt at flight, she gets a good view as he almost hurtles into the mermaid she'd escorted and his own reluctant companion.

She stands slightly awkwardly in the space that's been cleared and gives a little wave to Coraline, as the latter is knocked off her croc.

Dexam
2014-08-23, 10:33 PM
Distracted by his conversation with the mermaid, Sulath reacts too late to dive out of the way of the swooping Korii and is knocked off his feet.

As he slowly stands himself back up, he lets fly a long, drawn out hissing and muttering in the Draconic tongue. For anyone who speaks the language, they will hear Sulath cursing the Raptoran and his parentage, the storm that brought him into contact with Korii, the gods of the Raptorans for creating the race in the first place, and the universe in general. For anyone who doesn't speak Draconic, the intent is fairly obvious by the lizardfolk's tone and the way he is glaring at Korii.

When the long string of cursing finally dies down, he looks to the mermaid to make sure that she is okay.

"If looking for free food, I would suggest bird meat," Sulath says in Common. "But eating this one, we might catch foolishness."

5a Violista
2014-08-29, 05:50 PM
Coraline

Coraline receives a damage!

The mermaid is bleeding, a little. Scratched up on the ground, too.

She frowns and grumbles as she tries to pull herself back up onto her crocodile. Halfway back on, she notices Pecha waving. So, the mermaid smiles and waves back, before immediately frowning and trying to pull herself back up onto her animal. After getting back up, she puts pressure on the actively bleeding part until the wound clots.

"We - meaning her and the crocodile - "can catch other gulls easy enough."

"So, we'll meet you in three or so hours," she says - loud enough for even Pecha to hear, if she chooses to listen in - "by the rocks on the south side of the island. I'll make sure to bring enough gulls, fish, water, and plants. We can talk more then." That's surely enough time to go look for a treasure map or a ship or rumors or something else.

Coraline's Health: 8/9

Sebastian's health: also decreased. Will try to find where I put his health in the first place.