PDA

View Full Version : Mmm, yummy souls...

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-12, 08:22 PM
Let's just say I have a thinaun scythe. I CdG the BBEG. I now have his soul!

But, what can I do with it?

What are souls good for?

afroakuma
2014-07-12, 09:00 PM
Not a lot, really. The rules for usage of souls are pretty thin. You can find some in the Book of Vile Darkness.

Divide by Zero
2014-07-12, 09:03 PM
Trade it for a golden fiddle?

Rules-wise, the things you can do with souls are disappointingly unimpressive. You might be better off trying to do some improvised/RP stuff with it.

Cenric
2014-07-12, 09:17 PM
My personal favorite is the fall from grace, you did steal a guy's soul right? Start the Evil campaign and take over the world :smallamused:

But if that's not your cup of tea its pretty much been said. You might be able to sell it to a monster (Nighthags use them for spell components) for a decent price or you can use it to offset xp costs for making magic items (1 soul = 10xp*). Doing this is incredibly evil though and will destroy the soul in the process as well as forever marking the magic item as "evil" on a detect evil or the like.

So you can hold on to the guy's soul forever or become evil and use it for personal gain.

*Cited from BoVD

sideswipe
2014-07-13, 05:35 AM
My personal favorite is the fall from grace, you did steal a guy's soul right? Start the Evil campaign and take over the world :smallamused:

But if that's not your cup of tea its pretty much been said. You might be able to sell it to a monster (Nighthags use them for spell components) for a decent price or you can use it to offset xp costs for making magic items (1 soul = 10xp*). Doing this is incredibly evil though and will destroy the soul in the process as well as forever marking the magic item as "evil" on a detect evil or the like.

So you can hold on to the guy's soul forever or become evil and use it for personal gain.

*Cited from BoVD

then again, since you are only using the souls of evil to power the item not the souls of good..... would that make it a good item that destroys evil? for example, if you collect the souls of very evil things and use them to make a sword of evil bane.... would your DM allow it instead to become a good item?

i personally would :smallbiggrin:

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-13, 07:32 AM
Lol, the wonderful irony! Forcibly recruiting the minions of Evil to vanquish Evil!

Speaking of tasty souls... I just stumbled onto Soul Eater. I'm loving it up to lvl 9.

It'd be fun to find a way for a Soul Eater to snack on souls captured through thinaun items. All kinds of fluff there.

singera
2014-07-13, 07:49 AM
the big issue with destroying a soul according to book of vile darkness is that the destruction of a soul its self is evil

galan
2014-07-13, 08:11 AM
Good with capital G doesn't care what is the end result - if you use evil ways, it's evil. destroying an eternal soul is one of the worst things you can ever do, no matter why.

sideswipe
2014-07-13, 08:38 AM
Good with capital G doesn't care what is the end result - if you use evil ways, it's evil. destroying an eternal soul is one of the worst things you can ever do, no matter why.

i know.... its a shame.

galan
2014-07-13, 09:07 AM
i think it makes sense. i would bring an example from the jewish bible but i don't think the mods would like me for that :smalltongue:

the end can't always justifie the means. sometime, the means are just that bad.