PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pathfinder: Race Building with Race Points, PC: Spell-Like Ability, At-Will

Aiursfallen
2014-07-12, 10:58 PM
Short and sweet:
We're doing a 25 point buy (its fantastic) and I went with Aasimar as my base race and have been using the monster builder rules for personalization purposes; however, I've run into something that as a player makes me giggle, but as a DM would make me execute the player on the spot: Spell-Like Abilities, At Will.

"Spell-Like Ability, At-Will (Variable, see Special)

Prerequisites: None.
Benefit: Choose a 3rd-level or lower spell that does not attack a creature or deal damage. Members of this race can use this spell as an at-will spell-like ability. The caster level of the spell is equal to the user's character level.
Special: This trait costs as many RP as twice the level of spell chosen (minimum 2). Up to five spells can be chosen when you take this trait. Each time you take an additional spell, adjust the RP cost of this trait appropriately."

Any suggestions for spells to take? My character is a necromancer/support cleric with negative channeling. I thought of taking desecrate (for the ups to my dead), but I'll really only need to use it when I [I]make[I] my minions.

Now I'm leaning more towards Comprehend Languages, Enlarge Person, Sanctuary, or Detect Thoughts.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-07-12, 11:23 PM
My favorites:

Animate Dead: Free zombie minions! At low levels this is game-breaking: At high levels it won't matter so much (By the time you can afford to make better undead, the undead you'll get with this will basically be free anyhow), but while it lasts is hilarious.

Fly: The funny thing? A 60-foot Fly speed costs 8 RP. At-will Fly (which you can give to your party members too)? Costs 6 RP.

Invisibility: Once again, an utter gamebreaker at low levels, and you can give it to your friends too! Eventually everyone will get a ring for this and you'll be less special, but at-will invisibility is useful from levels 1 to 20.

Infernal Healing: You technically can't use Cure Light Wounds for this because it can deal damage to undead creatures. You *can* however, use this spell to give them temporary Fast Healing 1 for essentially the same effect. At-will healing!

Haste: One of the best combat buffs in the game. And you can get it at 2nd-level on the Summoner spell list!

Suggestion: It's debatable whether this one works by RAW or not: I've seen it argued that it "attacks a creature" but its lesser cousin Charm Person is on one of the example races made with the race builder. I'd say it works (though very, very broken), but your DM may disagree.

Dimension Door: It's 3rd-level on the Summoner spell list, so this totally works. Short-distance at-will teleport? Yes!

Dispel Magic: Yet another ambiguous spell: Is dispelling a creature's buffs an "attack"? I'd say it isn't, but your DM may disagree. A handy spell to have available at all times.

When I let players make custom races I ban at-will SLAs for a good reason.

jaydubs
2014-07-12, 11:28 PM
Not sure if these would work, and they'd probably get books thrown at you if they did...

Summon Monster III - Based on the language from invisibility, summoning isn't an attack. So you could theoretically walk around with your character level in summons up at all times.

Channel the Gift - Infinite 3rd or lower spellcasting for everyone in your party.

Masterwork Transformation - infinite cash if you can find people to buy it.

Protection from Energy will get your whole party 120 hp shields against all energy types, all day (at CL 12).

For things that might be allowed...

Infinite (pick a cure spell) to never worry about out of combat healing again. Helps cover being a negative channeler, and not spontaneously casting cures.

Lesser restoration gets cast a lot as well.

Bestow Insight is like guidance x6.

Wrathful Mantle - party doesn't need cloaks of resistance.

Aiursfallen
2014-07-12, 11:43 PM
I should have clarified; I already have wings and perfect maneuverability, and the level we're starting at is 5.