PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] good practices of playing a caster

_felagund
2014-07-13, 06:04 AM
hey guys,

people really like to min/max their casters, but its useless if you choose poorly each turn. (like throwing a meaningless acid arrow at the first round probably doesn't matter at all.)

here are some of my humble views:

1. focus. it is not a big deal if you failed to remember a critical spell a minute ago, focus the game right now.
2. security first, never start casting in the danger zone unless you really need to.
3. its always good to have an escape plan. (quickened invisibility, celerity, etc..)
4. find some kind of belt that enables you to carry rods and scrolls near by.
5. damage is not your main job, dont intrigue. (always useful, tx to treantmonk (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1570.0))
6. use scrolls effectively, you cant know when party need a spell of knock.
7. ignore the whining of big-stupid-fighter for not casting enlarge on him, do your job.
8. never adventure with low hp, evil dm may have an encounter waiting for you at the corner.
9. always keep a paper of your current abilities, (spells, wondrous items, scrolls, etc..) sometimes just seeing them gives an idea.
10. try to be active, use your knowledge skills and spellcraft whenever possible. and of course brag about your vast knowledge.
11. If you are a prepared caster, imagine the other days adventure before memorizing spells and pick them wisely.
12. inform the party about your spell casting (area, effect, etc..)

i want to hear your ideas/tips regarding the good practices of playing a caster

sideswipe
2014-07-13, 06:22 AM
do not try and do every job role in the party. if the fighter, rogue and paladin all feel left out because you polymorph and deal damage, solve riddles with spells and use wands and scrolls to do the healing (all the things the party CAN do) then remember you have to sleep at night.

optimise to the standard of the party. or optimise a little higher but then play support.

Baka Nikujaga
2014-07-13, 07:49 AM
Some of these are expansions and general tips to help eliminate unneeded actions in combat or adding extra things to do...

Your second ability score is Constitution. Even if you feel safe with a d8 or higher, there's nothing worse than losing a character mid-fight and watching everyone else suffer the consequences. Similarly, don't adventure forward if you think you'll be in risking the chance of dying immediately once combat begins. If your HP is low enough to not survive a lucky blow or two (and you aren't in a super optimized environment or so low level that a random greatsword can kill people), either take additional precautionary risks or take the time to recover your HP first.
Until you can auto-succeed, your first skill is Spellcraft if you're the primary caster. Make sure you're able to counter spells if necessary (and it will be).
Cast spells that won't make your party members feel too useless but enough so that they don't want to lose you. If you're supporting the party and have particularly strong summons, don't try to replace the beatstick unless it's necessary and if you're shaping the field, make sure the rest of the party doesn't mind too much. Even if direct damage looks attractive, keep in mind that if you optimize to the point of usability, you'll replace your friends.
Spell Resistance is one of your primary enemies, if you fail to overcome it, your enemies won't even need to make a save. For this reason, Conjuration exists.
Will Saves, Fortitude Saves, then Reflex Saves - a prioritized list on what to target. Conditional, of course but highly relevant.
Focus on slowly replacing magic items with low-level long-duration spells for security and use magic items that can improve your casting or grant metamagic feats (or just whatever catches your attention, if you have a +6 Resistance bonus all day, why not buy something you like?). Just don't optimize this too much or your DM will have a nightmare.
There are many inexpensive items that can effectively replace certain scrolls as well. Don't be afraid to search through other materials before picking up a scroll you think you might find handy.
Wand Bracers for Nerve Skitter, Bandolier or Masterwork Potion Belt, and an Efficient Quiver are all your friends.
5-ft. steps are wonderful things. Alternatively, magic items that help you run away without sacrificing too many actions.
Metamagic can be a great friend (and some would even argue a lover). Sure, there might be a number of bad eggs you'll never take as feats if you can help it and many of them may have niche uses that you'll never come across, but those that shine do so for a reason. Never forget how effective they can be.
Divine Metamagic" has "DM" in it for a reason. Speak to him or her first before taking it.
Greenbound should also be approached in this manner.
If possible, prepare an easily accessible copy of the spell descriptions for spells you've learned and are likely to use and bring that to your sessions. If your DM wants to make a ruling about spells that he or she might find too powerful or difficult to decipher, don't forget to add those lines.
Share your spells prepared list or spell slots available with your DM or at least have them where you can easily keep track of them. This way, the DM knows you aren't cheating.
Likewise, inform your party members about the variables of spells they might accidentally (or purposely) find themselves in.
Lastly, if you're running out of spells and need to rest, inform your party. Some of them might desire to press-on but unless there's a dire need, gently remind them that they'll effectively be one member down. Also, Rope Trick with a Metamagic Rod of Extend is a blessed friend indeed.
Familiars can be interesting bits of flavor or mini-you's helping support the party. Alternatively a bonus feat or strongly viable Alternate Class Feature.
Animal Companions can be the conqueror's strong-arm or the bearer of champions if you'll let them. Don't focus so much on flavor that you forget that you're sending this animal into active combat on a regular basis. If you have a beloved pet, ask your DM if you can make a purchase for the animal and show your care by not bringing it with you into suicide missions on a regular basis. If you're a Ranger, don't forget the Wild Cohort feat if you'd like an Animal Companion.
Don't complain about Clerics not having a related feature. You can make yourself huge or control undead and make yourself huge.
Knowledge is power no matter how it's gathered - skills, spells, or actions. If you're a caster, you're likely the one with the skill points and class skills to let you identify monsters, be sure to have them covered for your party if they can't do it themselves.
Knowledge Devotion is a powerful option for a caster who focuses on attacking, don't overlook it, especially when it can be obtained for "free."
Focusing on healing that isn't Heal (the spell) is suboptimal and the job of Wands of Lesser Vigor or Belts of Healing. Even if you can heal a person for the amount of damage he or she's just taken, the opponent is very likely to do that amount of damage again the next turn.
If you channel negative energy, be sure to alert your party members.
A Wizard's Scribe Scroll can be replaced by a Fighter feat or Augment Summoning. For the former route, Improved Initiative is amazing as Initiative is king.
Immediate Actions are powerful. Don't be afraid to sacrifice the next round's swift action for the chance to save or eliminate someone now.

And that's all I remember!

[Edit]
I'm not sure if "learn how to determine when is the best opportunity to cast a particular spell" is a tip but I do know that a number of my friends who have tried playing primary casters have yet to figure this out.

With a box
2014-07-13, 08:31 AM
summon/call few solars/Planetar(CR16,17th claric).
the Mighty army of heaven will solve your problem for you.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-07-13, 08:40 AM
Rule #1: For the love of all that is good and holy, know your spells. Copy out vital information, page numbers, fill a binder with photocopes, whatever floats your boat, but you do not want to be the guy who holds up play for twenty minutes every round looking up spell details.

morkendi
2014-07-13, 08:50 AM
When I play a caster, i take the view of it is my job to make things easier for others. Battlefield control, debuffs, etc. I rarely do anything that causes damage other than ability drain or inervation. This always keeps the others happy. My dm laughs at me sometimes when it comes to my combat action and I say," I use prestidigination to light my pipe," just because I have set everything up already. My wizard also carries so many scrolls, I probably look like a walking library.

Bullet06320
2014-07-13, 05:27 PM
If you do a lot of summons, keep a copy of your summoned critters with all relevant modifiers handy for the sake of smoother game play during combat