PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question about Martial Kineticist Archetype (Psychic Warrior)

Feint's End
2014-07-13, 07:40 AM
As some of you might know I'm currently working on the new all improved Psychic Warrior Handbook for DSP's Ultimate Psionics. Now I need some questions answered from time to time and this is the first of them. It's about the Martial Kinteticist Archetype namely the Expanded Martial Psionics Ability. For all of those who don't want to look it up themselves and for convenience:

Beginning at 3rd
level, while maintaining psionic focus, the martial
kineticist can deliver powers that feature a ranged touch
attack as melee touch attack powers. He can use a ranged
touch attack power that targets more than one creature,
but he makes only one melee touch attack to deliver one
of these ranged touch effects; additional ranged touch
attacks from that effect are wasted and have no effect.
At 8th level and every five levels thereafter, he can
make one additional melee touch attack to deliver one
of these ranged touch effects as part of the action he uses
to manifest the power.
In addition, the martial kineticist can expend his
psionic focus when he manifests a power to gain 1
temporary power point to augment that power. He must
use the power point to augment this power, or it is lost.
At 11th level and every eight levels thereafter, he gains 1
additional power point when he uses this ability.
This ability replaces expanded path.

Essentially my question is. What is your interpretation of the level 8+ bonusattacks? Does it enable you to basically manifest energy ray and as the same action do 2+ attacks, each doing the full energy ray damage (which would of course be quite powerful).
Or does this only work with touch attacks who allow multiple uses. The only one I'm aware of is Hammer however it is a melee touch attack and Expanded Martial Psionics specifies Ranged Touch attacks (meaning the whole ability is based upon converting a ranged touch attack to a melee touch attack).
Essentially the second reading can't be the case because there is no such power (ranged touch and multiple uses) on the psychic warrior (or kintecist for that matter) list and therefor the improvements at level 8 upwards would be completely useless.

My conclussion is that it allows you to use the same touch attack several times during one action (which is of course quite nice ... 4 times energy ray as a melee touch attack as a standard action? And it only costs you as much as one energy ray?) and I wanted to hear opinions on it.

Now I know this might seem very strong to some however the Archetype is otherwise not especially strong and would lack behind a Kineticist by a large margin. This would however give them their own unique way to melee "blast".

Opinions?

Psyren
2014-07-13, 09:01 AM
Or does this only work with touch attacks who allow multiple uses.

It's this one - "one of these ranged touch effects." It does not create extra ones that aren't already there. It's for things like scorching ray, though I'm not aware of a psionic equivalent.

Feint's End
2014-07-13, 09:05 AM
It's this one - "one of these ranged touch effects." It does not create extra ones that aren't already there. It's for things like scorching ray, though I'm not aware of a psionic equivalent.

That was my point. Essentially there is no power on the psywar or kinteticist list (or any list for that matter) which can be used this way -> my guess is that this is not RAI and only bad worded. After all when I get to the Archetype section I want to give some suggestions on how to deal with this.

Any thoughts Psyren?

Psyren
2014-07-13, 09:15 AM
You'll have to ask Jeremy about RAI questions. As written it only works with things that give you multiple rays or other RTAs. (Split Psionic Ray maybe?)

Yeah, I can't think what he had in mind when he wrote it up.

Feint's End
2014-07-13, 09:31 AM
You'll have to ask Jeremy about RAI questions. As written it only works with things that give you multiple rays or other RTAs. (Split Psionic Ray maybe?)

Yeah, I can't think what he had in mind when he wrote it up.

Ok I'll try to do that. Any idea on how to contact him? I've never spend much time at the dsp forums / writting the designers.

Psyren
2014-07-13, 10:15 AM
Ok I'll try to do that. Any idea on how to contact him? I've never spend much time at the dsp forums / writting the designers.

He's here occasionally too (Bacris) but if you're writing a DSP handbook you may want to register on their forums anyway.