PDA

View Full Version : VITAL, game-stopping question!

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-28, 06:25 PM
Really quick..... can a Flumph hold a sword? I know they've only got lots of skinny spaghetti-tendrils to hold stuff, but I was thinking maybe if he used a lot....

Oh, and the title, that's an outright lie. There's nothing important about this other than idle curiosity and a half-formed character concept floating around in my brain. Sorry.

Black Swan
2007-02-28, 06:29 PM
Only if he's a devotee of the Flying Spaghetti Monster with the war domain. Because then it'd be really funny.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-28, 06:32 PM
DON'T GUESS AT MY CHARACTER CONCEPT.

(OK maybe that was it >_>)

AmoDman
2007-02-28, 06:36 PM
There's nothing important about this

Oh, well in that case...

The idea of a Flumph wielding a weapon formed of metals and forged by fire is an interestiny query indeed. Their spaghetti-esque tendrils being reminiscent of The Flying Spaghetti Monster itself one might safly assume that multiple noodles could be use in forming a grip on an item there which they might be able to yield. Of course, spaghetti often lacks the upper body strength of a well-formed hand, often known for it's opposable thumbs. A useful feature which we share with few other creatures (except in the fantasy world...wherein we share it with many creatures).

Swords have often been a hot topic of discussion in many societies with opposable thumbs. Some view them as weapons of murder and destruction and don't wish them in their homes. Others see them as symbols of honor passed down from generation to generation. Still yet others haven't the slightest care about them one way or another, pointing out that a sword is as mechanically dangerous as a long, pointy stick or maybe even as some of their very own farm tools.

Which brings us to the question, which is more dangerous, a fighter or a farmer? Obviously, a fighter has a vast feat selection to choose from. But, presumably, farmers would get quite the steep skill selection with the multitude of things they have to do day in and day out, and they are daily working that strength score in the fields. Though, farmers are rarely heroes, usually just NPCs. But who's to say a farmer can't be a hero? Very few, seeing as common as the concept of farmer turned hero is.

But what about those farmer turned heroes? If they start out at level 1 then, what were they before? Level 0? How they have possibly gotten any work done. I would think they would have been leveling the entire time that they were working in their field. That is a life or death situation, strenuous to the mind and body. I don't see why a farmer would ever be level 1. They'd probably fail their endurance checks and collapse in the field. The endurance feat might help them there, though.

Of course, if a fighter was a farmer, than they could take the endurance feat easily. They'd also have the heavy strength score to begin with to make farming a useful hobby. So I'm thinking, a base fighter might actually make the best farmer. Though they should consider multi-classing at some point to gain some extra skill points for working in the fields. Also straight fighter sucks.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-28, 06:47 PM
Hey, don't get the thread locked before I have an answer!

Seriously, although I phrased the question jokingly, I am curious about this. I want to play a Flumph Paladin of what will be a not-subtly-disguised version of TFSM. AFAIK, the Flumph has never been translated to 3.5.... now, it wouldn't be hard for me to rig up servicable stats. They're aberrations, they float, they shoot acid, check. But their... unique body type gives me some serious questions about how they could carry and wield gear.

AmoDman
2007-02-28, 06:51 PM
Hey, don't get the thread locked before I have an answer!

Seriously, although I phrased the question jokingly, I am curious about this. I want to play a Flumph Paladin of what will be a not-subtly-disguised version of TFSM. AFAIK, the Flumph has never been translated to 3.5.... now, it wouldn't be hard for me to rig up servicable stats. They're aberrations, they float, they shoot acid, check. But their... unique body type gives me some serious questions about how they could carry and wield gear.

Locked? Why I would never! Last time I try and intelligently discuss a question YOU pose :P. But seriously, I don't know the first thing about Flumphs :D.

UglyPanda
2007-02-28, 07:05 PM
Box of flumph in Dungeon #118 supposedly has 3.5 stats for them.

Dark
2007-02-28, 07:14 PM
Flumphs hold swords just fine if they're adequately compressed. I've had one in a modified umbrella stand for years, and no sword has ever fallen out. They come out nice and clean too.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-28, 07:16 PM
Box of flumph in Dungeon #118 supposedly has 3.5 stats for them.

I believe that'd be 3.0 stats.

crazedloon
2007-02-28, 07:18 PM
Well I could easily see them holding the weapon. If the wined sufficient limbs together and then use the end of a few to combine into fingers they could get a near replica of a human hand (it would take some getting used to as far as moving with them entwined in this manner) however I could easily see them once they get the hang of it being even more agile with the weapon.

Thus you could make the pc version have weapon finesse as an auto feat (or combat expertise) due to their ability to change the way they hold their weapon and move their arm with ease however they do not ever gain proficiency with a weapon even from a class. Then give them one feat at level 1 that allows them to gain proficiency with a certain weapon but all weapons are exotic to them so they need exotic weapon proficiency even for a club:smallwink: (but that it how i would play it)

That or you could just tell your dm that it has weapon proficiency with it so it must be able to:smallwink: .

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-28, 07:26 PM
You know.... there's something to that idea, there. It's not like Flumphs normally wield weapons. A flumph with a sword would be very aberrant, and I'm sure get all kinds of strange looks from his flumph brothers.

oriong
2007-02-28, 10:26 PM
Well, reasonably it all comes down to Strength, if the flumph can lift the sword he should be able to weild it. Those tendrils definitely count as manipulators so he should be just fine.

Jack Mann
2007-02-28, 11:34 PM
Yep, Dragon 118 updates the flumph to 3.5, but it's strangely silent on the issue of mighty-tentacled flumphs wielding swords.

BCOVertigo
2007-02-28, 11:55 PM
Well, if the DM won't let you take a feat modeled after Prehensile Tail from savage species for this (assuming he doesn't cave in to the sheer hilarity) you should consider finding new gaming friends.