PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Gods of Time in Faerun?

Dimcair
2014-07-13, 02:37 PM
I am looking for a God of time in Faerun along these lines:

"Lord of the Continuum, is an elven deity who governs the orderly passage of time and guards against those who would alter the path of history. "

Are there similar ones?

Only needed for fluff.

jedipotter
2014-07-13, 02:49 PM
Labelas Enoreth is the elven god of time.

DeltaEmil
2014-07-13, 02:52 PM
I am looking for a God of time in Faerun along these lines:

Are there similar ones?

Only needed for fluff.Amaunator, a Netherese deity, was a god of time.
If you ascribe Lathander to be the new form of Amaunator, as some priests believe(d), you could give him the time domain.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-07-13, 03:20 PM
Amaunator, a Netherese deity, was a god of time.
If you ascribe Lathander to be the new form of Amaunator, as some priests believe(d), you could give him the time domain.

Lost Empries of Faerun also has rules for worshiping dead gods. Note that Amaunator does come back in 4E FR.

Also, which is the third sun god that they cycle through? I know Lathandar is the dawn, and Amaunator high noon, but I don't know who is the sunset.

DeltaEmil
2014-07-13, 04:11 PM
Lost Empries of Faerun also has rules for worshiping dead gods. Note that Amaunator does come back in 4E FR.

Also, which is the third sun god that they cycle through? I know Lathandar is the dawn, and Amaunator high noon, but I don't know who is the sunset.The Three-Faced Sun heretics (Powers of Faerūn) ascribe the sunset/dusk aspect to Myrkul.

Melcar
2014-07-13, 04:24 PM
AFAIK... Mystra is the god of time.

DeltaEmil
2014-07-13, 04:39 PM
AFAIK... Mystra is the god of time.No, that was Mystril, aka Mystra 1.0, another Netherese deity.

Ao probably made sure that none of the faerūnian deities would make any time shenanigans.

RedMage125
2014-07-13, 06:02 PM
Amaunator, a Netherese deity, was a god of time.

4e confirmed that Lathander was a form of Amaunator.

Eldaran
2014-07-13, 10:51 PM
4e confirmed that Lathander was a form of Amaunator.

Yeah, but 4e also blew up half the realms, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

TeslaJr
2014-07-13, 11:00 PM
AFAIK... Mystra is the god of time.

No, that was Mystril, aka Mystra 1.0, another Netherese deity.

Ao probably made sure that none of the faerūnian deities would make any time shenanigans.

What? Last I heard Mystril and Mystra are both incarnations of the Faerunian Goddess of Magic.

DeltaEmil
2014-07-13, 11:25 PM
Mystril is the original deity of magic, and her worship was strongest (to a certain degree) in ancient Netheril.

After Karsus's folly, Mystril was reborn as Mystra by reincarnating herself into a literally mindless mortal woman.

During the Time of Troubles, that Mystra was killed by Helm when she decided to ignore Ao's decree.

A sorceress named Midnight then became the newest Mystra.

TeslaJr
2014-07-13, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I know that much. I just don't remember her having anything to do with time.

Devils_Advocate
2014-07-14, 05:28 AM
Labelas Enoreth is the elven god of time.
Googling that name leads to a bunch of wiki entries matching it with the quote. And Faerun has all of the normal racial pantheons, so far as I know, including the elven pantheon. One of the wiki entries (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Labelas_Enoreth) was even on the Forgotten Realms Wiki.

So, if you didn't already know that and weren't specifically looking for a merely similar god as opposed to exactly the same one, there's your answer.

What prompted your question, Dimcair?

Alleran
2014-07-14, 05:46 AM
No, that was Mystril, aka Mystra 1.0, another Netherese deity.

Technically speaking, due to a misprint in the divine documentation on portfolios, Amaunator had a claim over the time portfolio (a misplaced word, or comma, or something), but wasn't willing to challenge Mystryl/Mystra for it (she watches over time, using the Weave to make sure paradoxes don't happen - magic that could cause a paradox is shut down ASAP, IIRC). Caused a bit of friction between them. So there is/was no official all-encompassing time deity, though there are racial deities who may hold the portfolio. After Mystra was ganked by Cyric and Shar, Amaunator wouldn't have had to worry about being caught rifling through her divine pockets for it. It's mentioned in the Wikipedia article, but gives no source, and I can't remember where I read it.

Dimcair
2014-07-14, 07:51 AM
Googling that name leads to a bunch of wiki entries matching it with the quote. And Faerun has all of the normal racial pantheons, so far as I know, including the elven pantheon. One of the wiki entries (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Labelas_Enoreth) was even on the Forgotten Realms Wiki.

So, if you didn't already know that and weren't specifically looking for a merely similar god as opposed to exactly the same one, there's your answer.

What prompted your question, Dimcair?

The part I quoted is very much from Labelas Enoreth FROM the forgotten realms wiki.
I was looking for something similar but not an ELVEN deity. Jedipotter just told me what I already knew (Labelas Enoreth = Lord of Continuum).

My question is prompted for fluff reasons aka throwing a DM some hooks/ideas for his campaign. I think that asking each player to write a brief back story to the character you will play is not asked too much and helps with DMing. So I am writing a backstory for a character right now.

I like the idea of a struggle between protectors of the timeline/history and a dark force trying to manipulate the course of history. There are plenty examples out there, the idea is not original but I like the theme and it gives the DM basically infinite opportunities.

So now I was looking for a deity who founded the temple/is in charge of the 'good guys', and since my character won't be elven I would have preferred a different deity. In the end it is just fluff though, so there might as well be a human order of labelas enoreth. Humans die rather soon but maybe the order is constantly reincarnating their members (fitting for a monk).

Sian
2014-07-14, 12:59 PM
Grumbar (Lord of Earth) might be used in terms of his hat of "things should be as things have always been.

Chauntea (Great Earth-Mother) might be available as well as the eternal everchanging cycle of life.

Even if not having the domain of time, Mystra through is still the closest you can get to a 'protector of time' in realmspace beyond old Enoreth which was 'merely' Keeper of History before he decided to answer the prayers of Elves worshipping Time and later on Laberas Enoreth have probably become the elven deity closest to joining the primary pantheon.

A tasty bit of fluff (from Demihuman deities and the old 2e adventure path, Four from Cormyr) is also that Laberas Enoreth in ancient times submerged the pre-chondathian Cormyr god of time (or an aspect of the primordial) Cronos, mainly active in the tiny realm of Orva, which nowadays are submerged in the Vast swamp.

Dimcair
2014-07-15, 06:47 AM
Thank you, I'll make sure to look into them =)