PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you help me with the Wizard's Spellbook?

Kharannos
2014-07-13, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone !

I'm new to 4E edition. I have played it ONE session, as a Warlord, and the whole gameplay mechanics of this Edition is really interesting. I'm trying to learns more about it for my next campaing, next weekend.

But I'm having trouble with how the Wizard works. I'm creating a Human Staff Wizard. I know I start with all cantrips and can cast them without preparing or limits per day.
I also got Rituals covered.

My whole problem is: the spellbook. It says your Spellbook stores DAILY and UTILITY spells. What about encounter or at-will? I don't need to prepare them? I can cast all of them, like a Rogue will use his Encounter/At-Will abilities?

Also: If that is correct, I just need to prepare Daily and Utility...
So, I receive MORE spells "known" than other characters (for example, a Ranger would start at Level 1 with 1 daily spell, but a Wizard can start with 2), but he have to choose just 1 spell this day (this "one" being the same amount for the ranger daily spells).

Is that correct? Do I get MORE options than other classes, but I have to prepare the same amount of spells everyone gets?

Thanks in advance!

NecroRebel
2014-07-13, 03:16 PM
My whole problem is: the spellbook. It says your Spellbook stores DAILY and UTILITY spells. What about encounter or at-will? I don't need to prepare them? I can cast all of them, like a Rogue will use his Encounter/At-Will abilities?

That's correct. The spellbook feature does not affect your at-will or encounter attack powers.

So, I receive MORE spells "known" than other characters (for example, a Ranger would start at Level 1 with 1 daily spell, but a Wizard can start with 2), but he have to choose just 1 spell this day (this "one" being the same amount for the ranger daily spells).

Is that correct? Do I get MORE options than other classes, but I have to prepare the same amount of spells everyone gets?

Again, that's correct. You get just as many daily attack powers and utility powers per day as anyone else, but you can swap them out on a day-to-day basis.

Inevitability
2014-07-13, 03:16 PM
Hello everyone !

I'm new to 4E edition. I have played it ONE session, as a Warlord, and the whole gameplay mechanics of this Edition is really interesting. I'm trying to learns more about it for my next campaing, next weekend.

But I'm having trouble with how the Wizard works. I'm creating a Human Staff Wizard. I know I start with all cantrips and can cast them without preparing or limits per day.
I also got Rituals covered.

Thanks in advance!

Note: All of this assumes that you are playing the standard PHB wizard.

Yes, you just need to prepare daily and utility spells. You have one encounter spell of each level you gain one, which is always prepared and can't be swapped out.

And yes, you gain the same number of spells/powers/exploits as other classes per day, but you gain some versatility with choosing them.