PDA

View Full Version : E6 Campaign Building

Kazudo
2014-07-13, 04:20 PM
Well, being new to E6 (as a previous thread I started should say), I'm having difficulty thinking like an E6 DM. I'm not sure what kind of campaign fits the play style best.

What should I do?

ddude987
2014-07-13, 04:26 PM
Its up to your group preference. Even in E6 all the standard play styles are fine, be it beaty-smashy-smashy, intrigue, or whatever else there could be. Personally I prefer to run, and my playgroup prefers to be in, sandbox games. Just plot them in a world, give a few hints at some interesting places or quests and let them run with it.

Kazudo
2014-07-13, 04:29 PM
Ok. For some reason I'd read that E6 campaigns were just inherently different.

JusticeZero
2014-07-13, 04:34 PM
Read any typical fantasy tale. LotR was a good idea for an E6 campaign in ways. Get them up to 3rd level so they won't be squishy, then you have your enemy horde threat. Unlike Standard, the machinations of an orcish chief and their horde are a perfectly valid BBEG. Action movie scenes of exciting running battles with orcs or zombies or whatever work for E6 epic parties, but not for Standard late game groups.
E6 is not low magic, characters will still end up being Christmas trees, but the abilities they get will be more flat. Every flats out, so instead of inflation of revealing tougher and bigger enemies, use the same enemies in bigger numbers and in more entrenched and interesting locations as the party gets more versatile and flexible.

E6 games are different in ways, for instance, a lot of classic fantasy foes are invalid as major foes because the party will out level them too quickly, unless they succumb to "Bandits in Daedric armor syndrome".