PDA

View Full Version : 5th edition starter set

Adhar
2014-07-13, 05:08 PM
I just got the starter set for 5th edition and read through it. Seems really simple but very interesting also. I haven't actually played it yet but going to this week.

Any idea how exactly the advantage and disadvantage system works?

pwykersotz
2014-07-13, 05:13 PM
Advantage: Roll the d20 twice and take the better roll.
Disadvantage: Roll the d20 twice and take the worse roll.

I can't wait to get mine! :smallsmile:

Also, if you haven't yet, get the basic rules here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/basicrules). It'll answer more questions.

rlc
2014-07-13, 05:16 PM
The starter set doesn't talk about how advantage works? That's probably not a good thing.

pwykersotz
2014-07-13, 05:25 PM
The starter set doesn't talk about how advantage works? That's privacy not a good thing.

From what I know, it was always meant to be paired with the Basic Rules, not to stand completely alone. *shrug*

obryn
2014-07-13, 05:39 PM
It does. It's easy to miss stuff though. :smallsmile:

Happy gaming!!

rlc
2014-07-13, 05:47 PM
okay, cool

DrBurr
2014-07-13, 06:09 PM
Just got back from a convention and I played some of the starter set as the ranger like fighter. Game was fast paced and pretty fun. Id definitely recommend it

Adhar
2014-07-13, 06:28 PM
Is advantage disadvantage purely assigned by Dm discretion or are the pregenerated characters getting advantage with the darkened bubbles on the skill lists? Or it is based on class abilties? Or a combination?

The rule packet is a little vague.

akaddk
2014-07-13, 06:40 PM
Is advantage disadvantage purely assigned by Dm discretion or are the pregenerated characters getting advantage with the darkened bubbles on the skill lists? Or it is based on class abilties? Or a combination?

Advantage and disadvantage can either come through combat options, class abilities, player actions and/or DM discretion. For the most part it functions exactly as you would think it would, i.e. if you can somehow get a significant advantage, then you have advantage on that attack, ability check (or skills) or saving throw. The same for disadvantage. It should, however, be fairly rare as it is a very large alteration to the chance of success or failure (works out to roughly a +5/-5 give or take various factors).

For the most part whenever either advantage or disadvantage is gained, it is mentioned in the description of the class ability, monster entry, item description or adventure scenario.

It should also be noted that advantage and disadvantage cancel each other out and do not stack. Therefore if you have two sources of advantage, you only effectively get advantage once on any particular roll. If you have advantage from one thing and disadvantage from another, on the same roll, then they cancel each other out. Due to them also not stacking, it is irrelevant if you have two sources of advantage and only one source of disadvantage, they still cancel each other out and you roll normally.

I'd recommend downloading the free Basic PDF to answer any of your other questions: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/basicrules

Secret Bard
2014-07-13, 06:55 PM

The blackened bubbles on the skill list marks which skills get the proficiency bonus.

Adhar
2014-07-13, 07:07 PM
Ok thanks guys makes more sense now.

Inevitability
2014-07-14, 12:58 AM
I'll be picking the set up as soon as I can. I can't wait!

Is there a smily that expresses giddy anticipation? Because I need it now.