PDA

View Full Version : template question

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-13, 06:45 PM
Feral requires the base critter to be living.
Warforged are living constructs.

Feral Warforged?

Does warforged qualify for such templates?

torrasque666
2014-07-13, 06:49 PM
If the only requirement is that it be living(defined in D&D as having a CON score, even if its 0) then yes.

Red Fel
2014-07-13, 07:12 PM

Feral Warforged?

Here's the relevant language from Savage Species:
"Feral creature" is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal humanoid or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
(Emphasis added.) So let's review. It's an inherited template. Usually, those are the result of genetics, parentage, etc. Constructs, such as Warforged, have no parents, and thus probably can't receive inherited templates. There is, however, no RAW of which I am aware precluding them from receiving inherited templates. However, the template also applies not to "living creatures" but to corporeal humanoids or monstrous humanoids. A Warforged is neither Humanoid nor Monstrous Humanoid; it is a Construct with the Living Construct subtype.
Possibly because of the former, but definitely because of the latter, a Warforged does not qualify for the Feral template.

KillianHawkeye
2014-07-13, 07:18 PM

Feral Warforged?

Well warforged DO count as living creatures, yes.

However, the only Feral template that I know of is Feral Creature from Savage Species, which actually requires the base creature to be any corporeal Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid, so a warforged would not qualify because it is a Construct.

If the only requirement is that it be living(defined in D&D as having a CON score, even if its 0) then yes.

Um... if your Constitution is reduced to zero, you're no longer a living creature. You're dead....

torrasque666
2014-07-13, 07:26 PM
You are "living" in that you are neither a true Undead nor a true Construct. I think its in one of the Monster Manuals where it defines what counts as a "Living" creature(note the capital L)

Divide by Zero
2014-07-13, 08:17 PM
Constructs, such as Warforged, have no parents, and thus probably can't receive inherited templates.

A wizard did it.

Rijan_Sai
2014-07-13, 10:27 PM
A wizard did it.

This, but the point of "humanoid or monstrous humanoid" still stands.

Divide by Zero
2014-07-13, 10:37 PM
This, but the point of "humanoid or monstrous humanoid" still stands.

Right. But if I wanted to play, say, a half-dragon warforged, that's how I would justify it.

Or maybe a dragon just banged a robot. It's more plausible than a half-dragon ooze, at least.

Rijan_Sai
2014-07-14, 01:58 AM
Right. But if I wanted to play, say, a half-dragon warforged, that's how I would justify it.

Or maybe a dragon just banged a robot. It's more plausible than a half-dragon ooze, at least.

"Half-dragon" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

I agree! Keep to the type restrictions, and that excuse is valid for just about anything!
Or that...I guess? I don't know, there are ways to protect oneself from oozes!