PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Rending Claws and two weapon rend

Dan Arcueid
2014-07-14, 12:49 AM
Bit of a rules question.
If playing a catfolk with claw blades i understand they're now light slashing weapons effectively making them no longer function as natural weapons when making attacks but rather as weapons for two weapon fighting and so on.

My question is would i be able to use two weapon rend and rending claws simultaniously.

I realize they count as weapons now but outside of the prerequisites rending claws seems to state if i hit with both claw attacks i get the bonus.

Yanisa
2014-07-14, 06:00 AM
Although the Claw Blades are a bit oddly written and I can understand different interpretations, it comes back to the fact that Claws are defined as Natural attacks, as seen in the table here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks). The feat doesn't have to state that the Claw attacks are natural attacks, because Claw Attacks are always Natural Attacks and never Weapon Attacks.
And because of the line:

change the weapon type from a natural weapon to a light slashing weapon.
Claw Blades are Weapon Attacks, thus they are simply not Claw Attacks.

Although it is a bit rule-lawyering, but judging from Rending Claw Blades (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/rending-claws-combat) I do suspect the various ways of getting Rend shouldn't stack (or at least you can only get 1 rend per pair of arms, not multiple rends for the same pair of arms), but that is not a real rule.

Dan Arcueid
2014-07-14, 08:17 AM
Bit of a rules question.
If playing a catfolk with claw blades i understand they're now light slashing weapons effectively making them no longer function as natural weapons when making attacks but rather as weapons for two weapon fighting and so on.

My question is would i be able to use two weapon rend and rending claws simultaniously.

I realize they count as weapons now but outside of the prerequisites rending claws seems to state if i hit with both claw attacks i get the bonus.

That makes sense. I assumed they probably didn't but out of curiosity i thought I'd ask.

Shinken
2014-07-14, 09:40 AM
It should work, I believe.